Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 11:27:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 [679] 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 ... 2124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4669118 times)
Forbet

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 10:32:08 PM

What is happening with this coin right now? I'm never seen the price this low. I want to invest but why are people selling?

Monero, Boolberry and Bytecoin are being dumped for Stealthcoin. It doesn't have the bloat.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 10:33:34 PM

Ok, stopped right out of the gate!  Downloaded wallet from "http://monero.cc/downloads/monero.win.x64.latest.zip" and it is infected and not with false positives we are used to seeing.

VirusTotal shows the following infections in this wallet..........

1.  Hacktool.Win64.Agent.ALn
2.  not-a-virus:RiskTool.Win64.Agent.x
3.  Trj/Chgt.F

Funny it said the file was previously scanned and was completely clean, I told it to rescan and this is what it came up with.  Not risking this one being fake.

Holy crap......just scanned the CPU miner and it is LOADED as well.  I am sure many are false positives but this was found to have over 21 viruses, numerous Trojans.

With all the crap out there these days, this is enough to scare me off this coin.  I am used to seeing some false positives here and there due to miners but this is too steep for my risk levels.

Any devs got a command on this? Probably just FUD'ing, but would be okay for lurkers to read a statement about this.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1107

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 10:34:23 PM

What is happening with this coin right now? I'm never seen the price this low. I want to invest but why are people selling?

Monero, Boolberry and Bytecoin are being dumped for Stealthcoin. It doesn't have the bloat.

Stealthcoin also doesn't have functioning anonymous transactions, thus it doesn't have bloat. Funny how that works.
IMJim
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 10:38:44 PM

Ok, stopped right out of the gate!  Downloaded wallet from "http://monero.cc/downloads/monero.win.x64.latest.zip" and it is infected and not with false positives we are used to seeing.

3.  Trj/Chgt.F

Funny it said the file was previously scanned and was completely clean, I told it to rescan and this is what it came up with.  Not risking this one being fake.

Holy crap......just scanned the CPU miner and it is LOADED as well.  I am sure many are false positives but this was found to have over 21 viruses, numerous Trojans.

With all the crap out there these days, this is enough to scare me off this coin.  I am used to seeing some false positives here and there due to miners but this is too steep for my risk levels.

Any devs got a command on this? Probably just FUD'ing, but would be okay for lurkers to read a statement about this.

No man, honestly not fudding at all.  Monero caught my interest today in an IRC chat and I had real interest to try and mine it.  First was surprised at what all was needed to setup for mining, is a bit overwhelming at first glance but decide I would give it a try anyways.

I then went to guide and downloaded the referenced files, as I always do I checked them on VirusTotal.  NEVER have I seen so many positives before and many not referring to bitcoin miners that we all know are false positives.  What I saw after scanning both files was enough to scare me off man, that is all.......no fud intended.  Not the way I roll!
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 10:42:11 PM

3.  Trj/Chgt.F

No man, honestly not fudding at all.  Monero caught my interest today in an IRC chat and I had real interest to try and mine it.  First was surprised at what all was needed to setup for mining, is a bit overwhelming at first glance but decide I would give it a try anyways.

I then went to guide and downloaded the referenced files, as I always do I checked them on VirusTotal.  NEVER have I seen so many positives before and many not referring to bitcoin miners that we all know are false positives.  What I saw after scanning both files was enough to scare me off man, that is all.......no fud intended.  Not the way I roll!

I'm not aware of any actual contamination of the binaries, and almost certainly it is just false positives.

If you're really concerned, download the source and compile it yourself. I never download binaries myself.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 10:46:53 PM

1. Who says people are dumping? Could also be miners just selling to keep up with their cost (because of the high inflation rate monero has).

2. Would you rather have bloating and be truly anonymous or the other way around?

Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
IMJim
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 10:47:18 PM

Thanks guys, but I would have NO idea how to compile anything.

I understand the likelihood of false positives, but again I am seeing WAY too many to be comfortable with as well as virus names I am not accustomed to seeing in wallets and miners.  Just not worth the risk for me without knowing for certain they are in fact clean.

Is all good though, I can partake by trading......was interested really in giving my CPU something to mine but I trade everyday as well so I will just take that route with Monero for now.

Thanks to all for your replies and my apologies if my inquiries came across as potential fud!
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1107

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 10:49:07 PM

I understand the likelihood of false positives, but again I am seeing WAY too many to be comfortable with as well as virus names I am not accustomed to seeing in wallets and miners.  Just not worth the risk for me without knowing for certain they are in fact clean.

Is all good though, I can partake by trading......was interested really in giving my CPU something to mine but I trade everyday as well so I will just take that route with Monero for now.

Thanks to all for your replies and my apologies if my inquiries came across as potential fud!

There are several pools (I'm pretty sure dwarfpool and minexmr are among them) where you can mine and send directly to an exchange. Then you don't need to run daemon or simplewallet, you can just run cpuminer or whatever. 
RentaMouse

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 11:21:35 PM

I havent checked it myself but the binaries on monero.cc are maintained by the devteam so I would be surprised if they were infested.

May I suggest the reason you are not accustomed to seeing those virus names is because this is a Cryptonote coin and not a Bitcoin clone so the codebase is fundamentally different - there are certainly Monero botnet mining trojans out there and the miner code they use is an adaptation of the standard XMR miners. Their signatures will be different from Scrypt etc miners so the virus names will be different.

All the same I'm not going to tell anyone to install anything they arent happy about so hopefully one of the devs can confirm the files are ok and the checksums to validate the downloads.

Pool admin @ http://cryptonotepool.org.uk/ - for miners who value reliability (and like orange)!
Currently donating all of our 1% pool fee to the dev fund - mine at CryptonotepoolUK and support XMR at no extra cost!
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1968

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 11:40:16 PM

1. Who says people are dumping? Could also be miners just selling to keep up with their cost (because of the high inflation rate monero has).

2. Would you rather have bloating and be truly anonymous or the other way around?

i'd call it panic selling myself, but hey, just my opinion....

btw - smooth, taco, flufffy... some shill on poloniex's trollbox is claiming that you all "Worship" cryptozoidberg,  spreading fud and about how BBR is better, and that he's the "Best anon dev" on the planet and that you guys worship him... can you touch on your overall feelings about the lone BBR dev at all? I don't see why both coins cannot peacefully co-exist, but the fud is annoying. thanks again.   

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
owlcatz
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 11:41:03 PM

coin miners often get false positives, in this case the bitmonerod.exe also a miner. Bitcoin and it's Minerd mining client also get false positives.

most AV's will call out minerd - why? cuz it's a "potential" botnet application. ... simple/normal stuff, have it all the time!... Cheesy

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 11:46:51 PM

btw - smooth, taco, flufffy... some shill on poloniex's trollbox is claiming that you all "Worship" cryptozoidberg,  spreading fud and about how BBR is better, and that he's the "Best anon dev" on the planet and that you guys worship him... can you touch on your overall feelings about the lone BBR dev at all? I don't see why both coins cannot peacefully co-exist, but the fud is annoying. thanks again.   

Probably just a bit of both, but that's common in a downtrend, same for panic buying in an uptrend.

Btw: don't forget to vote here! http://www.btc38.com/trade/vote_for_trade_en.html

Njall

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 11:48:19 PM

Install a Poloniex addon to mute people, from here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=776060.msg8746634#msg8746634
owlcatz
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 11:53:54 PM

Install a Poloniex addon to mute people, from here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=776060.msg8746634#msg8746634

Thanks, but i just left it for a while, i don't need to ignore people on the trollbox, i was just looking for the truth, as he says xmr devs "Bow" to cryptozoidberg, which i don't believe... thanks! Cheesy

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 12:38:17 AM

My feelings are it is called the trollbox for a reason.

As for your question, crypto_zoidberg seems like a reasonable enough guy to me. I've exchanged messages with him on various occasions. I don't worship him or anyone else, but I don't have anything bad to say about him either.
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 12:49:35 AM

Thanks, but i just left it for a while, i don't need to ignore people on the trollbox, i was just looking for the truth, as he says xmr devs "Bow" to cryptozoidberg, which i don't believe... thanks! Cheesy

Are you serious?  I was there and I don't think anyone would take him seriously.  At least he was polite.

I just checked and he is still at it.  I wonder how many hours he is going to keep this up LOL

OK back on topic.  We are waiting for soon.  That is all.
AdamWhite

Activity: 605
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 01:02:52 AM

If you're still wanting to mine give minergate.com a try.. i'm using it to mine xmr and mcn on one pc and it works well!
owlcatz
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 01:06:45 AM

As for your question, crypto_zoidberg seems like a reasonable enough guy to me. I've exchanged messages with him on various occasions. I don't worship him or anyone else, but I don't have anything bad to say about him either.

I was going to say the exact same thing but I didn't because I'm sure the normal ppl have the same feelings towards his stuff, you just confirmed.

Cool thanks guys.. damn trolls be a trollin.. it's just weird this guy  seems so polite as you say, but continues to dish out nothing but fud or whatever you wanna call it, for literally, HOURs on end, despite everyone telling him he's bs.

And yes, i know it's the troll box for a reason, but i go there daily and have not run into anyone on there quite like this guy/gal/moron, he has zero to offer than "Xmr devs just suck, CZ is god/saviour/anon satoshi" etc.. LMFAO!!! Cheesy

peace out! Smiley

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 01:07:52 AM

I was going to say the exact same thing but I didn't because I'm sure the normal ppl have the same feelings towards his stuff, you just confirmed.

Cool thanks guys.. damn trolls be a trollin.. it's just weird this guy  seems so polite as you say, but continues to dish out nothing but fud or whatever you wanna call it, for literally, HOURs on end, despite everyone telling him he's bs.

And yes, i know it's the troll box for a reason, but i go there daily and have not run into anyone on there quite like this guy/gal/moron, he has zero to offer than "Xmr devs just suck, CZ is god/saviour/anon satoshi" etc.. LMFAO!!! Cheesy

peace out! Smiley

It does seem to me the attacks and trolls have picked up lately. I don''t know why exactly. In that past that has coincided with big price rises, but that's not the case this time. Shrug.

Njall

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 01:14:35 AM

3.  Trj/Chgt.F

I'm not aware of any actual contamination of the binaries, and almost certainly it is just false positives.

If you're really concerned, download the source and compile it yourself. I never download binaries myself.

Ack, only valid way of doing it. Thank you Snowden for opening our eyes!
Pages: « 1 ... 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 [679] 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 ... 2124 »
  Print  

Jump to: