Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 11:58:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Goomboo's Journal  (Read 281394 times)
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 08:56:40 PM

Obviously if you could enter and exit earlier you would capture a lot more of the move, the danger lies in reintroducing guesswork and emotion to the decision making process. 

Speaking of which, did someone automate this process? Doesn't look very hard to do.
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Timbo925

Activity: 352
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 09:00:11 PM

Obviously if you could enter and exit earlier you would capture a lot more of the move, the danger lies in reintroducing guesswork and emotion to the decision making process. 

Speaking of which, did someone automate this process? Doesn't look very hard to do.

I run sierra charts witch sends me an email when there is a crossover. Got an app on my phone witch detects the email form sierra charts and sounds an alarm.
Full automation is always risky because it can't detect false crossovers.
nmat

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 09:03:51 PM

I run sierra charts witch sends me an email when there is a crossover. Got an app on my phone witch detects the email form sierra charts and sounds an alarm.

Nice system you have there Wink Sorry, but I haven't read everything and I am not using this system. What is a false cross over? Is it when the lines just touch? I think that you could code something to act with a certain confidence degree.
Timbo925

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 09:12:50 PM

Nice system you have there Wink Sorry, but I haven't read everything and I am not using this system. What is a false cross over? Is it when the lines just touch? I think that you could code something to act with a certain confidence degree.

In a situation like this it is possible you have like 2/3 crossovers. An automated system would trade on every crossover and this is would lose your money.
But ofcource if you make the system smart enough there is no problem
stochastic

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 09:13:11 PM

How do you detect false crossovers?  If you can do it then a bot can as well.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 10:31:29 PM

Bot would detect it, then wait for the next candle to confirm. As you (a human) would.

cloon

Activity: 387

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 10:36:56 PM

How do you detect false crossovers?  If you can do it then a bot can as well.

Bot would detect it, then wait for the next candle to confirm. As you (a human) would.
yes and compare with shorther and longer term macd and other indicators to calculate a percentual risk, buy/sell if risk low enought

other ideas?

donations to 13zWUMSHA7AzGjqWmJNhJLYZxHmjNPKduY
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 10:52:16 PM

yes and compare with shorther and longer term macd and other indicators to calculate a percentual risk, buy/sell if risk low enought

other ideas?

But this system is meant to be simple. One indicator. One condition.

You would manage risk with volume. Decision making would be a simple Boolean statement.

EMA10 > EMA21
True -> Buy
False-> Sell

Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 10:58:20 PM

How do you detect false crossovers?  If you can do it then a bot can as well.

other ideas?

But this system is meant to be simple. One indicator. One condition.

You would manage risk with volume. Decision making would be a simple Boolean statement.

Can you elaborate a little on how risk is managed with volume?  Do you mean because of the higher frequency of trades involved in an hourly trading system?  Or perhaps amount of capital involved?

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 11:03:11 PM

Can you elaborate a little on how risk is managed with volume?  Do you mean because of the higher frequency of trades involved in an hourly trading system?  Or perhaps amount of capital involved?

The method I'm testing out is scaling in after a big move.  The next cross over I trade 1X, then 2X, then 3X, then 4X, etc. until there's another large, profitable move.  Then I go back to 1X.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Timbo925

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 11:07:50 PM

The method I'm testing out is scaling in after a big move.  The next cross over I trade 1X, then 2X, then 3X, then 4X, etc. until there's another large, profitable move.  Then I go back to 1X.

Intresting. kind of like playing blackjack and always upping the stakes.
Let us now how it goes  Smiley
nmat

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 11:11:32 PM

+1 to this. Nice idea. Let us know how it goes
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 11:14:05 PM

Basically yes, just the amount of capital allotted for a given trade. Perhaps as a %. Less investment = less risk.
You wouldn't just set it free with your entire account balance would you? Especially until well tested.  Smiley

I like this! Automate what I already do.  Smiley

Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 11:28:22 PM

How do you determine what's large enough to be considered a "profitable move"?  Is that the only condition that will reset the multiplier?

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 11:34:12 PM

How do you determine what's large enough to be considered a "profitable move"?  Is that the only condition that will reset the multiplier?

It resets when I'm really happy with the previous trade.  It's subjective, and I look at a lot of other information.  The whole point is to spend less when it is likely to go sideways.  There is also a cap of how much I'm willing to put down on a given trade, but I try to keep that around 4-5X so that odds are there will be a trend before I hit it.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
LD-ZOGY8

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 07:10:21 AM

Hi Goomboo, thanks so much for posting this epic thread. I am relatively new to all this, so please excuse my ignorance if my questions are a bit basic. I would really like to ask them though, as I am determined to never use a method which I do not fully understand.

Firstly, the exponential moving averages; the values are 10 and 25. But 10 and 25 what? Is it, as I suspect, 'ticks' which to my understanding is the time period which you select - in this case hours?

Secondly, you mentioned in your original post about checking for liquidity. I understand that this means that you want to make sure there is enough capability of movement in the market such that you don't end up posting a buy or sell order which takes a large amount of time to be accepted, exposing you to the risk of market movement against you in the meantime. Could you please explain how you read the charts related to the website that you linked to in order to determine if there is sufficient liquidity to cover your moves?

I am in BTC more for the fun aspect and because I believe in the technology than to necessarily make a large profit; I have only invested a small amount which I can afford to lose. But I sincerely hope I can make a nice profit so I can give you a generous tip not only for your great advice, but also for your general ethos; one thing I have noted about this site is that people are almost jumping of the roof of the exchange / cracking champagne bottles just about every few minutes depending on the market. It's really refreshing to hear from someone with a level head and real world experience.

Cheers.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 07:46:59 AM

one thing I have noted about this site is that people are almost jumping of the roof of the exchange / cracking champagne bottles just about every few minutes depending on the market.

Ain't that the truth

Frequenting these fora, shall make for some entertaining times ahead!  Wink

Edit:

I'll help by saying;
Yes! The EMA's referred to would be the 10/21. The time period is purely up to you. A decision you make based on the amount of time/risk you wish to invest. An hourly EMA would require much more time spent watching for the next cross-over. Usually once a day, but can be more or less. Whereas a daily EMA would have you trading once or twice a week.

stochastic

Activity: 532

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 04:47:36 PM

Hi Goomboo, thanks so much for posting this epic thread. I am relatively new to all this, so please excuse my ignorance if my questions are a bit basic. I would really like to ask them though, as I am determined to never use a method which I do not fully understand.

Firstly, the exponential moving averages; the values are 10 and 25. But 10 and 25 what? Is it, as I suspect, 'ticks' which to my understanding is the time period which you select - in this case hours?

Secondly, you mentioned in your original post about checking for liquidity. I understand that this means that you want to make sure there is enough capability of movement in the market such that you don't end up posting a buy or sell order which takes a large amount of time to be accepted, exposing you to the risk of market movement against you in the meantime. Could you please explain how you read the charts related to the website that you linked to in order to determine if there is sufficient liquidity to cover your moves?

I am in BTC more for the fun aspect and because I believe in the technology than to necessarily make a large profit; I have only invested a small amount which I can afford to lose. But I sincerely hope I can make a nice profit so I can give you a generous tip not only for your great advice, but also for your general ethos; one thing I have noted about this site is that people are almost jumping of the roof of the exchange / cracking champagne bottles just about every few minutes depending on the market. It's really refreshing to hear from someone with a level head and real world experience.

Cheers.

It is a zero-sum game out there, which means if you lose your money someone is taking it.  Go read this whole thing before starting.

Also.  Did the EMA10/21 crossover fail to catch the move up to $5?

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 05:57:08 PM

Also.  Did the EMA10/21 crossover fail to catch the move up to $5?

No! You should have been Long (Holding BTC) since $4.3x, right around the open of the 22nd, and still holding.

Blind

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 06:31:32 PM

I have noted about this site is that people are almost jumping of the roof of the exchange / cracking champagne bottles just about every few minutes depending on the market

Haha, I've never seen anything describing this forum more accurately, spot on, dude, spot on.

Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. -- Ronald Reagan
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 »
  Print  

Jump to: