Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:48:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 60 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Goomboo's Journal  (Read 281394 times)
StewartJ

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 11:59:28 PM

Does anyone know of any BTC trading tools that has alarms for moving average cross-overs? 

Does Sierra Chartfeed have such alarms?

Thanks in advance!

ohhhh that would be awesome!  it couldnt be much harder than http://www.bitcoin-tools.de/ ?

I'll talk to Jessi about, but he has his hands full with revisions to current Gox Alarm tool, and he is also
prototyping a new Bitcoinica Alarm tool.

Going to dig though my Sierra tool and see what they have.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 12:00:37 AM

I want to remind everyone at again that more than likely you will lose when you trade.  (...)
This system at BEST wins 40% of the time and loses 60% of the time. (...) 
However, with trend following, your winning trades are typically much larger than your losing trades.

Quoted for emphasis. Smiley
Goomboo (OP)

Activity: 409

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 12:41:15 AM

By the way, if no one has read this, it is awesome...a great reality check.  I think you can get it free in some places, but I suggest buying it to support the authors:

Reminiscences of a Stock Operator
http://www.amazon.com/Reminiscences-Stock-Operator-Investment-Classics/dp/0471770884/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327114156&sr=8-1

The copyright is expired and the author is deceased.  Project Gutenberg has it:

http://ebooks.gutenberg.us/WorldeBookLibrary.com/confessstock.htm

Nice find, I'm going to take a look at that while a wait for a hard copy to sit down to read with.  As much as a digital being as I am when it comes to books, I find nothing can replace sitting down and relaxing with a good book and a glass of wine.  It is kind of like vinyl records, I have hundreds of them because for some reason they just feel different and have a certain aura that just cannot be replicated.

Oh and I dig that quote Goomboo.  I certainly understand where you are coming from about the book being more philosophical and thought oriented.  Coming from a political world I understand just how important of a role conceptual concepts have in grasping the bigger picture. After all how are you going to be a successful in the world of politics if you don't have an understanding of the thoughts and actions of not only the politician but also the motives and physiological factors that affect the electorate? Not only that but sometimes just reading through and understanding someone else's thought process can give you a completely new perspective on things, giving you insight into opportunities that were previously invisible to you.

...Anyways little off topic but I think I am going to enjoy this book.

Agreed man...it's the truisms / wisdom of a field that puts all the other parts into perspective.

I hope you enjoy the book!
David M

Activity: 476

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 12:44:54 AM

Does anyone know of any BTC trading tools that has alarms for moving average cross-overs? 

The "moving average cross-over" can also be expressed as an "oscillator".

Subtract the "fast" value from the "slow" value to give you either a positive (long) or negative (short) number.
Goomboo (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 12:48:04 AM

I've found that the more time I spend in front of a monitor, the more likely I am to want to make a trade which typically leads to lost funds Tongue

^This.  Which raises the question of the longevity of trades.

The use of hourly data capture predisposes the trading longevity to short time frames (less than a week).
That is what I call "hard trading".   Over exposure to data and the emotional strain make it difficult to sustain.

Instead widen the time..... from hourly analysis to daily.

Hourly with 10/21 over 1 month. (fast)
http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/mtgoxUSD#rg30zigHourlyztgCza1gEMAzm1g10za2gEMAzm2g21zv

Daily with 10/21 over 2 months. (slow)
http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/mtgoxUSD#rg60zigDailyztgCza1gEMAzm1g10za2gEMAzm2g21

I simple trading strategy is to combine the two indicators:

i.e Use the slow indicator to determine your trend and the fast indicator to enter and exit.
When the "slow" is long, take all "fast buy" signals.
When the "slow" is short, take all "fast sell" signals.

The current price action from the 2 indicators suggest a "fast sell" into a "slow buy".  Which is not optimal but a good trader can scalp some change.

Aside:
The phenomenon of the "day trader/tick traders" used to be exclusively the domain of locals (private individuals with full licence to trade) on the exchange. 
The Clinton era bull run brought the concept to the "masses".
Throw in HFT, Bitcoin's true 24 hour exchanges and volatility and the concept of "short time frame" trading becomes normal.

I would just like to remind all new traders that going to sleep with an open position is not meant to be a gut wrenching experience.

It certainly can be used across any timeframe.  I prefer the lower timeframes because it matches my risk appetite / desire for participation.

Yeah, there's definitely truth there.  I've heard it said many times - if you are having trouble sleeping, you're carrying too much trading risk.
Goomboo (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 12:49:11 AM

The "moving average cross-over" can also be expressed as an "oscillator".

Subtract the "fast" value from the "slow" value to give you either a positive (long) or negative (short) number.

Right, I didn't want to be a stickler and confuse the issue for the people new to it.  After all, the MACD is an oscillator and it's based on two moving averages.
Goomboo (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 12:50:46 AM

GoomBoo, this is really great information, thank you for sharing.

Tempted to experiment with the GoomBoo System, curious to see what happens.  

If I make any profits, will pass on a 1% donation to you for each successful trade.

Sent you a donation now, because of the quality of trading advice you have provided on this thread.

Please keep the thread going!

Thank you for the kind words and the donation!  I'll be trading anything in that account so it goes right back into volume in the market Smiley

Best of luck in your trading endeavors.
Goomboo (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 12:56:26 AM

Thanks in advance!

You can probably automate the whole trading process in Sierra Charts from the ground up.  I prefer to handle the trading process by hand when it comes to the BTC market, though.
Goomboo (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 12:59:44 AM

Thanks in advance!

"Moving Average Crossover Alert: Add the study Moving Averages to the chart. The study will display three moving averages. Open the Study Settings window for the study. Configure the Inputs as you require. On the Subgraphs tab set the Draw Style moving averages you do not want to see to Ignore. In the Simple Alert >> Condition text box on the Alerts tab enter: =CROSSOVER(SG1, SG2). This means if the first two moving averages cross, an alert will be given."

From http://www.sierrachart.com/index.php?l=doc/doc_AlertCondAndScan.html
StewartJ

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 01:09:51 AM

Thanks in advance!

"Moving Average Crossover Alert: Add the study Moving Averages to the chart. The study will display three moving averages. Open the Study Settings window for the study. Configure the Inputs as you require. On the Subgraphs tab set the Draw Style moving averages you do not want to see to Ignore. In the Simple Alert >> Condition text box on the Alerts tab enter: =CROSSOVER(SG1, SG2). This means if the first two moving averages cross, an alert will be given."

Sweet, just what I was looking for. I'm with you and like to trade by hand, but like to have a little reminder
just in case. notice the alarms do emails too, very nice.

Thanks GoomBoo
chsados

Activity: 662
Merit: 545

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 02:02:19 AM

Thanks in advance!

sorry to keep buggin you guys but just got sierra installed properly and am trying to figure out how to get the EMA setup with the specific numbers.  am i even selecting the right one? (apparently moving average is the same as EMA?)  and how do i put in the specific numbers (10/21 etc)
Goomboo (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 02:20:52 AM

sorry to keep buggin you guys but just got sierra installed properly and am trying to figure out how to get the EMA setup with the specific numbers.  am i even selecting the right one? (apparently moving average is the same as EMA?)  and how do i put in the specific numbers (10/21 etc)

Sorry man, I've never worked with Sierra Charts before.  I do notice that it does have an EMA at the top of your screen there - moving average - exponential.
StewartJ

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 02:56:24 AM
Last edit: January 22, 2012, 03:16:14 AM by StewartJ

sorry to keep buggin you guys but just got sierra installed properly and am trying to figure out how to get the EMA setup with the specific numbers.  am i even selecting the right one? (apparently moving average is the same as EMA?)  and how do i put in the specific numbers (10/21 etc)

You can get answers to Sierra Chart stuff on this thread, there very helpful:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=6019.0
chsados

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 03:25:45 AM

thanks guys apparently you just change the numbers in that second window [default 5/10/15].  im not sure what the 3rd line (yellow) is generally for, you guys have any idea ?
Goomboo (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 03:32:45 AM

thanks guys apparently you just change the numbers in that second window [default 5/10/15].  im not sure what the 3rd line (yellow) is generally for, you guys have any idea ?

Hmm, I notice in the description of the alert that it is based on 3 moving averages.  Maybe those are the three colors?  If you find out, please let us know.
chsados

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 03:36:40 AM

Hmm, I notice in the description of the alert that it is based on 3 moving averages.  Maybe those are the three colors?  If you find out, please let us know.

yes i understand they are 3 moving averages but what is the point of the 3rd im wondering?  i guess i dont even fully understand what the other 2 are telling either...but i get the concept Grin
Timbo925

Activity: 352

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 09:11:46 AM

My guess is you set an alarm for 8/21 buy use the 10/21 for the trade. This way you get an alarm earlier so you can trade on your actual values.  Grin
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 09:57:41 AM

Impending crossover... steady now boys.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
kinghajj

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 10:02:12 AM

I'm looking for it but I can't find the crossover. Could you link to a chart showing what you mean?
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 10:04:16 AM

I'm looking for it but I can't find the crossover. Could you link to a chart showing what you mean?

http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/mtgoxUSD#rg2zigHourlyztgSza1gEMAzm1g10za2gEMAzm2g21

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 60 »
  Print  

Jump to: