Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 08:23:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 [233] 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer  (Read 387451 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 01:26:01 PM

My short take on this, is that the following must be considered:

- Perpetual network security (inflation must always be high enough to secure the network - typically only a problem in the late stage that most coins have not addressed)

- Perception of premine (BCN was rejected outright because the coin was 82% mined when it hit the public; IMO the same will happen with whatever coin and fully regardless if it has been "fair" all the time, the mere fact that it is used by a smallish number of people when it hits the latter part of its issuance is enough to convey this perception, even BTC is problematic in this sense already)

=> Therefore the optimal coin issuance should be either connected to the growth of its economy (which is problematic to do trustlessly, and has not been tried in any coin except perhaps emunie that I don't know about) or tailored to hit its mature phase only when the userbase of the coin is established.

I urge you to read it again because most of the pundits believe that exactly the opposite is good for the coin.

Sounds like the 'S' curve we were discussing earlier in the thread.
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 02:25:01 PM

The supermajority (perhaps not of the people, but of the supporters of various altcoins) believe that the initial emission period should be rather short, to "get rid" of the pesky "inflation", so that the coin can "start rising in value".

I believe they are hoping in vain, because the "new money" not yet invested, does not see such a coin as a very interesting investment and do not buy it. So instead of a rise, a fall in value is the result.

The only way around this is to grow the real economy of the coin big enough, before the declining emission really hits. This can hardly be achieved in 1 year, so a considerable longer time before half is emitted should be the case.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 02:31:20 PM

The supermajority (perhaps not of the people, but of the supporters of various altcoins) believe that the initial emission period should be rather short, to "get rid" of the pesky "inflation", so that the coin can "start rising in value".

I believe they are hoping in vain, because the "new money" not yet invested, does not see such a coin as a very interesting investment and do not buy it. So instead of a rise, a fall in value is the result.

The only way around this is to grow the real economy of the coin big enough, before the declining emission really hits. This can hardly be achieved in 1 year, so a considerable longer time before half is emitted should be the case.

How does "new money"'s perception of the coin change if the inflation period is long? I mean, what benefits are there in the long inflation period for investors? How is growing economy of the coin dependent on the length of the inflation period?
nakaone

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 02:33:09 PM

How does "new money"'s perception of the coin change if the inflation period is long? I mean, what benefits are there in the long inflation period for investors? How is growing economy of the coin dependent on the length of the inflation period?

to put it simple you need enough inflation to network and as little as to keep it as a store of value in a foreseeable future.

rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 02:54:28 PM

to put it simple you need enough inflation to network and as little as to keep it as a store of value in a foreseeable future.

What you said - the latter part - is exactly the fallacy.  Smiley

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 03:01:57 PM

Nobody loves inflation, but few people regard it as a horrendous evil to be avoided at any cost.   Normal people do not expect that a hoard of cash will keep its value, much less grow more valuable, by itself, over time.  And, for the good of the economy, they shouldn't "invest" in cash or other "dead" assets: they should use their intelligence to choose productive enterprises, and invest in them.   

Cryptocurrencies were meant to be means of payment; their repurposing as long-term investment has always been criticized by economists.

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 03:11:36 PM

Nobody loves inflation, but few people regard it as a horrendous evil to be avoided at any cost.   Normal people do not expect that a hoard of cash will keep its value, much less grow more valuable, by itself, over time.  And, for the good of the economy, they shouldn't "invest" in cash or other "dead" assets: they should use their intelligence to choose productive enterprises, and invest in them.  

Cryptocurrencies were meant to be means of payment; their repurposing as long-term investment has always been criticized by economists.

I think anonymint hit this nail on the head.  The issue is not inflation it's how the inflation is distributed.  Which is generally NOT to the people responsible for creating production (knowledge, workers, investors)
nakaone

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 03:27:18 PM

What you said - the latter part - is exactly the fallacy.  Smiley

explain to me how this shall work if a cryptocurrency which is issued by nothing but its scarcity and its function will be adopted without having a store of value.

I am not talking about a 7 days fast-mine pump and dump, but a design with a slightly decreasing block reward seems somewhat convincing to me
nakaone

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 03:37:27 PM

cryptocurrencies superiority comes from its neutrality a) as a store of value and b) as a medium of exchange of value. neutrality is meant in a way that they are free from an appraisal of a single authority. these authorities can be banks, governments or service providers.

it is yours as long as you have the keys.
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 03:52:01 PM

These people have no interest in the long term success of a cryptocurrency platform.  The are interested only in making a quick buck.  It is a viewpoint entirely fueled by greed.  Though this motivation is understandable it is exactly the opposite of what the market will reward.  The market cannot reward this any more than we can defy gravity.  If it did there would be thousands of tremendously successful altcoins.  And where would this value come from?
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 06:18:44 PM

Nobody loves inflation, but few people regard it as a horrendous evil to be avoided at any cost.   Normal people do not expect that a hoard of cash will keep its value, much less grow more valuable, by itself, over time.  And, for the good of the economy, they shouldn't "invest" in cash or other "dead" assets: they should use their intelligence to choose productive enterprises, and invest in them.   

(besides that I entirely disagree with separating means of payment from a store of value,)

My view is more practical. I believe it is a good idea to have an uninflatable store of value (this is the original Bitcoin thinking). But if I am faced with a choice to buy into a coin whose community is growing and consists of people willing to store their savings in this inflatable currency, or a coin whose community is eager to unload their stash to the next generation at greatly higher prices and live well off the proceeds, I go with the former. That I am currently part of the latter also, should not be a distraction.

Bitcoin was the best choice in 2010-2013. Now I have been the early promoter of this thinking, and the coin I believe best suits it, Monero. The amount of actual attacks speaks about that it is taken seriously.

beitris.dwlul

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 06:21:20 PM

I have no doubts that you informed about all issues and would be happy to see a result when you finish that.

btcney

Activity: 588

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 06:35:32 PM

Opinions on Bitmark?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=660544.0
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 07:12:30 PM

If Bitcoin was fully mined, such as Quark, there would be nobody even remotely interested in buying it, and the price would be down even more, with no sign or prospect of recovery.

I must assume from that sentence that you plan to sell your Bitcoins in a near future, lets say when 18-19 millions are mined? And/or the plan is that by time BTC is 10-20 times worth more? what will prevent that price to plummet then? adoption? thanks.

The wide adoption should really be achieved by then, which would give a reason to hold it or buy it (for use). Otherwise it likely won't ever be.

When someone buys, someone else sells. Which translates what you just said to "give a reason to hold it or buy it or sell it".

That is somewhat accurate. If there is no compelling reason to participate at all (hold, buy, sell, mine, etc.), then you ultimately have a stagnant system that really goes nowhere.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 08:00:50 PM

Interesting timing. Poloniex just implemented marking as their user reputation system.
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 12:28:31 AM
Last edit: October 01, 2014, 01:05:28 AM by Johnny Mnemonic

This is why I've always believed in a perpetually increasing (or difficulty-dependent) block reward... it encourages use as a currency (medium of exchange) as opposed to an investment vehicle, and new adopters are never punished for arriving "late".

Imagine a coin with a difficulty-adjusted block reward of 10 coins per 1 billion. Block rewards would be very small during the coin's early growth, but would scale up or down with the network. When difficulty reaches 1.45 billion (XMR's current difficulty), the reward would be 14.5 coins. If the network stagnates, then you essentially have a fixed-reward (perpetually decreasing) inflation. This would also be the most fair and fungible crypto, as all coins would cost roughly the same hash power regardless of when they're mined.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2014, 01:03:39 AM

This is why I've always believed in a perpetually increasing (or difficulty-dependent) block reward... it encourages use as a currency (medium of exchange) as opposed to an investment vehicle, and new adopters are never punished for arriving "late".

Imagine a coin with a difficulty-adjusted block reward of 10 coins per 1 billion. Block rewards would be very small during the coin's early growth, but would scale up or down with the network. When difficulty reaches 1.45 billion (XMR's current difficulty), the reward would be 14.5 coins. This would also be the most fair and fungible crypto, as all coins would cost roughly the same hash power regardless of when they're mined.

I like this notion and have fostered it myself, though I don't think it is the whole picture.

Bitcoin is perpetually inflating.
In the current picture up until 2140.
It goes well beyond this when the decimal point moves.

Coins are lost/destroyed over time too increasing scarcity.  So there is more to it than just the difficulty, but that should be considered.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 01:10:09 AM
Last edit: October 01, 2014, 01:33:09 AM by Johnny Mnemonic

Imagine a coin with a difficulty-adjusted block reward of 10 coins per 1 billion. Block rewards would be very small during the coin's early growth, but would scale up or down with the network. When difficulty reaches 1.45 billion (XMR's current difficulty), the reward would be 14.5 coins. This would also be the most fair and fungible crypto, as all coins would cost roughly the same hash power regardless of when they're mined.

I like this notion and have fostered it myself, though I don't think it is the whole picture.

Bitcoin is perpetually inflating.
In the current picture up until 2140.
It goes well beyond this when the decimal point moves.

Coins are lost/destroyed over time too increasing scarcity.  So there is more to it than just the difficulty, but that should be considered.

Bitcoin is different because the money supply is finite. I don't see how lost/destroyed coins are an issue with an undefined/infinite money supply that grows with the network. Am I missing something?

What I'm suggesting basically means the same hardware will yield the same profit whether it's used for mining now or 10 years from now, because every contributed hash will always have the same return over time (CPU mineable forever?). I'm guessing this would also reduce the profit incentive for special hardware manufacturing.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2014, 02:58:47 AM

DarkNote just gave the CN community a wonderful gift - encrypted messaging with the same privacy protection as transactions!   Cool

Encrypted messages Cryptography implementation is now on github - opensource

https://github.com/ducknote/darknote/commit/caf9925c34eb0f9ffa7a842f4ae3b4bb5a069154

Now we can pass notes in class, with no fear of being caught or having them read out loud.   Grin

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:03:45 AM

What I'm suggesting basically means the same hardware will yield the same profit whether it's used for mining now or 10 years from now, because every contributed hash will always have the same return over time (CPU mineable forever?). I'm guessing this would also reduce the profit incentive for special hardware manufacturing.

I don't get it. How does manufacturing an ASIC that hashes 1000x more efficiently than a CPU not have a high profit incentive if rewards are tied to hashes?
Pages: « 1 ... 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 [233] 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 »
  Print  

Jump to: