Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:48:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenBazaar - decentralized eBay  (Read 41596 times)
wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 01:31:30 AM

How are you guys going to deal with scammers on both sides? Cryptothrift has escrow, so the scammers just convince people to go outside it.

If a buyer does the deal outside of the platform they wont have the protection from the arbiter is how i think it will work.  So if you are stupid enough to forgo this protection on a deal you should except a higher risk of being scammed. 

Ebay is like a nanny state which protects buyers but not sellers.
The "nanny state" that protects the buyers also helps the sellers attract buyers as they know they are protected. Without the dispute system in place with ebay buyer would be reluctant to bid/buy products from sellers. It is very similar to how people are generally unwilling to sign up for a signature campaign when the campaign manager is not willing to use escrow

minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 01:41:47 PM

So how is the beta going?  Patiently waiting for a Windows binary here...

+1

Any news/date when binary beta2 will be available?

I tried to compile it on mac, but got stuck with dependencies...
saturn643

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 10:58:12 AM

OpenBazaar Beta 1.0 launched
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E1U3UcHZLc
Yeah?

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 11:00:48 AM

I'm really looking forward to how this is going to work and if it takes off. It could be huge in my opinion. People are getting fed up with ebay.
Mr Tea

Activity: 270

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 11:02:06 AM

Is the software available so anyone can choose to use it and set up their own version of OpenBizarre? So there can be illegal tor markets but also legal ebay-like sites? Can the owners moderate content etc? If it's so open people will obviously try to sell illegal goods on there and your intention might just to be like ebay etc.

Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 11:03:06 AM

Sounds awesome, checked their website, it have great potential
We will see if it will deliver
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 02:11:21 PM

How are you guys going to deal with scammers on both sides? Cryptothrift has escrow, so the scammers just convince people to go outside it.

Escrow is not scam-proof.

Scammers have a lot of imagination.

but it helps tremendously, silkroad's escrow has resulted in a 97% reduction in fraud compared to non-escrow transaction.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 03:13:35 PM

Do you know any marketplace that is scammer proof? Because I don’t.
Should we stop doing business because scammers are unfortunately around everything that has value?

zorke

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 12:19:46 AM

Should we stop doing business because scammers are unfortunately around everything that has value?

No market place is 100% scam proof. However some marketplaces are "scam resistant" and some are "scam friendly". You should do more business in the "scam resistant" marketplaces whenever possible and avoid the "scam friendly" marketplaces unless absolutely necessary. I would personally consider open brazzar to be scam friendly
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 05:21:59 PM

OpenBazaar new UI improvements-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UISZbGXP74

knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 06:17:04 PM
Last edit: October 04, 2014, 06:34:55 PM by knight22

No market place is 100% scam proof. However some marketplaces are "scam resistant" and some are "scam friendly". You should do more business in the "scam resistant" marketplaces whenever possible and avoid the "scam friendly" marketplaces unless absolutely necessary. I would personally consider open brazzar to be scam friendly

Actually yes, that's why you should treat it as what it is: beta. There is no reason why it can't be "scam resistant" with the proper tools in place.

knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 06:19:56 PM

OpenBazaar new UI improvements-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UISZbGXP74

Very exciting stuff. Can't wait to finally use it on windows.

Window2Wall

Activity: 191

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 02:39:18 AM

Actually yes, that's why you should treat it as what it is: beta. There is no reason why it can't be "scam resistant" with the proper tools in place.
I think you really need to be more centralized then open brazaar in order to be scam resistant. Look at eBay for example, as much as I dislike them and as much as they charge for selling on their site, they have a very small number of scams that succeed as a percentage of total sales; compare that to a more decentralized marketplace like the digital goods forum here, which is very decentralized and obvious scams are not moderated, many scams get weeded out by the community but more people do get scammed (just look at all the scam accusations). The fact that open brazaar is decentralized makes it much easier to manipulate
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 05:23:46 AM

I think you really need to be more centralized then open brazaar in order to be scam resistant. Look at eBay for example, as much as I dislike them and as much as they charge for selling on their site, they have a very small number of scams that succeed as a percentage of total sales; compare that to a more decentralized marketplace like the digital goods forum here, which is very decentralized and obvious scams are not moderated, many scams get weeded out by the community but more people do get scammed (just look at all the scam accusations). The fact that open brazaar is decentralized makes it much easier to manipulate

How?

shogdite

Activity: 798

LIR Dev. www.letitride.io

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 09:28:57 AM

I've seen lots of scams on ebay, not forgetting all the chargebacks I've had to deal with (lost over $1000 from reversals). Centralization hasn't made the site more scam resistant by any means.

Never had that problem with either Bitmit or Cryptothrift  Wink

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRideINNOVATIVE ▬▬▬
DICE GAME
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
PROVABLY
F A I R
▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
BUY  BACK
PLANS
[BTC]
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 11:08:11 AM

To all ebay sellers:

Once open bazaar is ready, list all the things you sell on ebay at open bazaar.  Next time you make a sale send a card to your open bazaar shop for future customers.  Should be able to offer a discount with the savings, i will be Smiley
DeboraMeeks

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 11:19:19 AM

I wish bitmit was still operational, would be using it now Sad
Clegg

Activity: 176

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 11:50:28 AM

To all ebay sellers:

Once open bazaar is ready, list all the things you sell on ebay at open bazaar.  Next time you make a sale send a card to your open bazaar shop for future customers.  Should be able to offer a discount with the savings, i will be Smiley

That's actually a great idea. Good promotion for bitcoin too. I'd totally do it if I still sold stuff on ebay.

I wish bitmit was still operational, would be using it now Sad

Use Cryptothrift instead.
kotwica666
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1035

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 12:20:00 PM

Scammers are everywhere and they will be! It's about law and speed of his executing. In point where Cryptos are now, that's very difficult..

Hurry up with the opening, because the price of BTC will fall to the basement! Cheesy
I can not wait to test the page!
I wish you BIG success with this project!

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████░░██████████████████████████░░███████████████████
███████████████░░██████████████████████████░░█████████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░██░░██░░░░░░░░░░██░░███████████████
███████████████████░░░░░░██░░██████░░░░░░██░░█████████████████
█████████████████████░░░░░░██████████░░░░░░███████████████████

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.....I AM BLACKJACK.FUN.....
█████████████░░██████████████████████████░░███████████████████
███████████████░░██████████████████████████░░█████████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░██░░██░░░░░░░░░░██░░███████████████
███████████████████░░░░░░██░░██████░░░░░░██░░█████████████████
█████████████████████░░░░░░██████████░░░░░░███████████████████

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
mailmansDOGE

Activity: 322

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 12:21:39 PM

Scammers are everywhere and they will be! It's about law and speed of his executing. In point where Cryptos are now, that's very difficult..

Hurry up with the opening, because the price of BTC will fall to the basement! Cheesy
I can not wait to test the page!
I wish you BIG success with this project!

What makes you think that the opening is going to help the price in any way?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: