Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 04:24:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenBazaar - decentralized eBay  (Read 41595 times)
chopstick
Legendary

Activity: 992
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 05:51:29 PM

Yes, you are right. Dealing with every single scammer is not an issue that will be easily solved by any one system.

Buyers can say they didn't receive the correct item, when they obviously did.

Sellers can pack a fake item or nothing at all.

Both the buyer and seller could videotape, but that's an incredible amount of work, and not practical for the seller if they are doing any kind of high volume.

*HOPEFULLY*, the majority of the people who use it will be honest. I know I will be.
eerygarden

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 07:41:44 PM

I like the idea of the image above showing home grown coffee. I would find it quite novel ordering some coffee from joe bloggs from a developing country through the mail. I suppose i best take a look at customs and exise.
fryarminer

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 09:57:50 PM

Videotaping won't help much. If someone can scam, they can fake a video.
knowhow

Activity: 560

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 02:29:55 AM

the layout looks interesting and has same colous as paypal and some know business model looks blues is the color of sucess these days
fairglu
Legendary

Activity: 1100
Merit: 1030

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2015, 04:32:33 AM

Yes, and even if they are not, who will watch all those video is and arbiter the disputes? Who can coerce the scammer? This would take expensive escrows to cover just the time wasted on all that.

fairglu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2015, 04:37:10 AM

ebay besides fees allows to reverse the transactions... the same way  as paypal allows dispute after 30 days soo those for sure makes any seller sick and thinking camon really chargeback a product sold last month.This is on the way and well potencial is huge and will become the best way to sell and buy anything besides get more attention into bitcoin world.

With a proper escrow system you don't have to worry about chargebacks... refunds should totally be part of the design of a trustless marketplace but not at the buyer's descretion.

With turing complete scripts or peter todd's new OP you can do trustless reversals.

No you cannot, because your script still need a trustable input from the real world as the scamming can go both ways. Reversing the crypto transaction would not reverse a real-world delivery...

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 07:43:19 AM

fake video are very hard to make and can be easily spotted, unless you can point me a video that was faked and none notice it

also to avoid other type of scamming(escrow corrupted ecc...), they can in theory ask you to sign your msg so at least you can prove to be the owner of that account in the case of account selling for scamming like on bitcointalk
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3486
Merit: 6144

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 07:50:17 AM

fake video are very hard to make and can be easily spotted, unless you can point me a video that was faked and none notice it

also to avoid other type of scamming(escrow corrupted ecc...), they can in theory ask you to sign your msg so at least you can prove to be the owner of that account in the case of account selling for scamming like on bitcointalk

90% users of Bitcointalk.org will more then likely be using OpenBazaar , that's for sure .
So I guess adding a feature on OpenBazaar specially for the bitcoin community (on bitcointal) would be great , it should work like that : While we are doing our profiles it should ask us for our Bitcointalk account username , and so they proove it they should ask us to add a random text on our Signature for a min , once they check it , it's stored on our profile and that's it .
We could leave negative feedback on Bitcointalk also when someone from OpenBazaar have his accounts linked to Bitcointalk.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 08:43:23 AM

90% users of Bitcointalk.org will more then likely be using OpenBazaar , that's for sure .
So I guess adding a feature on OpenBazaar specially for the bitcoin community (on bitcointal) would be great , it should work like that : While we are doing our profiles it should ask us for our Bitcointalk account username , and so they proove it they should ask us to add a random text on our Signature for a min , once they check it , it's stored on our profile and that's it .
We could leave negative feedback on Bitcointalk also when someone from OpenBazaar have his accounts linked to Bitcointalk.

Its an extra layer of trust and might be a good idea, people can always buy accounts though if they want to pull really big scams.  But yeah it helps.  Same thing would be linking an ebay account in some way.   
eerygarden

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 08:50:12 AM

9/11
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 09:15:13 AM

Just as another point ebay seems to be losing its grip on the market over the last few months, i dont know if its something to do with google advertising where they get most of their traffic but there are many reports of sellers numbers down.
gravitate
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 09:24:32 AM

I have go tto say I love using crypto thrift. Decentralised is a step in the right direction though like the idea.

To peel or not to peel.
chopstick
Legendary

Activity: 992

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 04:02:40 PM

9/11

The moon landing, obviously.
fryarminer

Activity: 686

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 04:16:19 PM

Easy! You get the package. You carefully open it from the bottom, remove the stuff, put in junk. Flip the package around. Run the camera.
"Hi Guys! The package arrived! Look, here it is! Now I will proceed to open it!"
Finchy

Activity: 315

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 04:26:38 PM

People will need to make a habit out of *VIDEOTAPING* the opening of all their packages, if such scams start becoming widespread.

That way, you'd have proof that the box either contained nothing or did not contain the item you ordered.

Also, the reputation system should hopefully help you identify scammers before you order from them.

This also could easily be abused and if videotaping to prove you sent or received something became the norm so would the ways to cheat it. People would just film themselves packaging it then still could swap it before they sent it. The receiver could also just film him opening a package with something he wrapped himself. Unless you video tape the entire thing from wrapping/packaging it up to walking to the post office and having them take it off you everything can sadly be abused.
fairglu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2015, 07:31:00 PM

Unless you video tape the entire thing from wrapping/packaging it up to walking to the post office and having them take it off you everything can sadly be abused.

This would be completely impractical, not only to take the video that proves the package was never swapped or tempered with, but also to watch and check the video.

Imagine checking hundreds of thousandths of videos several minutes long of guys getting a pack? And how do you certify this is even the guy himself and not just a copy-pasted video from someone getting a pack a few months ago?  Who will arbiter the dispute and enforce a resolution?

And of course you have the problems that this video is not going to be anonymous in any way, that people that unwillingly got on the video (even as accidental background) could sue for making the video public, etc.

Finchy

Activity: 315

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 07:47:28 PM

Unless you video tape the entire thing from wrapping/packaging it up to walking to the post office and having them take it off you everything can sadly be abused.

This would be completely impractical, not only to take the video that proves the package was never swapped or tempered with, but also to watch and check the video.

Imagine checking hundreds of thousandths of videos several minutes long of guys getting a pack? And how do you certify this is even the guy himself and not just a copy-pasted video from someone getting a pack a few months ago?  Who will arbiter the dispute and enforce a resolution?

And of course you have the problems that this video is not going to be anonymous in any way, that people that unwillingly got on the video (even as accidental background) could sue for making the video public, etc.

Of course it's impractical. I wasn't suggesting otherwise. It's basically nearly impossible to guarantee that a specific item was sent and like on ebay there just needs to be a little faith involved but it's when there's a bit of faith involved where the scam can happen. If you use trusted sellers then it minimizes your risk considerately as most just want to run an honest business and build up a solid rep, but its usually the buyers that try take advantage of this.
knowhow

Activity: 560

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 09:41:19 PM

why ebay loosing custumer? the shedule of openbazar is getting closer ,soo many are members from here ,crypto supporters.. and all wanna maximize their income ,imagine a product that someone sell for 5 dollars they take a fee on 100 units soo lets say it is 0,20 x100 means 20 dollars with bitcoin this 20 dollars will allow to get some fuel into the car  Grin
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 02:34:41 PM

OpenBazaar UI Demo July 30 2015

Looks nice so far but still a lot of work to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBxdzKOMk9I&feature=youtu.be
Panadacoin

Activity: 296
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 02:49:59 PM

OpenBazaar UI Demo July 30 2015

Looks nice so far but still a lot of work to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBxdzKOMk9I&feature=youtu.be

Good stuff. I am happy things are moving along. eBay are crooks and it will be nice to have a decentralized option. I hope all bugs get worked out in time.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: