Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 12:16:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenBazaar - decentralized eBay  (Read 41595 times)
theblacksquid

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 08:45:21 PM

Oh great! Sounds like I will be able to post some items on the bazaar really soon, can't wait.

:thumbs up:

Cheesy

Support Decentralized Commerce - OpenBazaar.org
Add some science to your mining!  GRIDCOIN
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 09:40:40 PM

Yup i've got my online store going up there as soon as the Beta 3 windows build is ready.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
h4xx0r

Activity: 154

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 09:57:19 PM

Can't wait for this project to see fruition. It is a really exciting, unprecedented step in the right direction for decentralized technologies. Great job!

opossum

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 11:24:33 PM

Sam Patterson answered how this escrow reputation system will work here: https://libertyme.adobeconnect.com/p3r3kbbd7oe/?launcher=false&fcsContent=true&pbMode=normal

Basically they are still trying to figure it out. They want to introduce a pool of arbitrators that will vote to attribute an arbitrator for each case to make it harder for someone to scam and become it's own arbitrator.
This is not very reassuring, nor would it want me to be comfortable trusting my hard-earned money at the marketplace.

If an arbitrator must be "voted in" by existing arbitrators then someone could potentially buy up a lot of arbitrator accounts to create additional arbitrator accounts which would further the attacker's ability to scam.

Seems pretty far stretched IMO. Keep in mind there will be a reputation system for arbitrator. Buying a lot of good reputation to make scams wouldn't last very long before any body figure it out and all reputations of these account will be affected. That would be a very costly and risky scam operation.
Someone could buy up a bunch of accounts with positive reputation and these accounts with positive reputation would vote their "scam" accounts to be an arbitrator. The accounts that are purchased would continue to act honestly, but the accounts that were "voted in" would not be honest

It would still require the scammer to highjack the whole voting pool. How many accounts would need a scammer to vote himself as arbitrator every single time? At what cost? It still seems far stretched to me. If the arbitrators that vote are chosen through a random process among the best reputations, that would make almost impossible such attacks.
Such an attack would cost nothing. All an attacker would have to do is buy up a lot of accounts with good/a lot of reputation, use the accounts with good reputation "honestly", vote in additional accounts that can work as escrow, scam with the newly voted-in accounts, then sell the existing "honest" accounts at the same price they were purchased for (or potentially for more as they would have theoretically gained additional reputation by continuing to act honestly).

This is a very similar vulnerability that PoS altcoins have

▄▄█████████▄▄
      ▄█████████████████▄
   ▄████▀            ▀████▄
  █████                █████▄
 ███████████████████████████▄
████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████        ██████        ████
 ████▄      ██████      ▄████
  ▀████     ██████    ▄████▀
    ▀████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████▀
      ▀▀██████████████▀▀
TIDEX

bitllionaire
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 11:36:27 PM

does anyone know an ETA fot the windows release?

I want to test it ASAP  Cheesy
BitMos

Activity: 182
Merit: 123

"PLEASE SCULPT YOUR SHIT BEFORE THROWING. Thank U"

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 04:26:05 AM

watching...

money is faster...
Daedelus

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 12:25:36 PM

Do you guys want open bazaar specifically? or a decentralised ebay?

If it is the latter, then it is already here: http://nxtfreemarket.com/

If it is the former, ignore this post and continue to wait.
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 01:04:34 PM

There are other examples of decentralized marketplaces already existing with Bitcoin too...
BitXBay
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=589578.0

And to answer your question: We want many decentralized ecosystems competing in the marketplace.

Daedelus

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 01:10:27 PM

There are other examples of decentralized marketplaces already existing with Bitcoin too...
BitXBay
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=589578.0

And to answer your question: We want many decentralized ecosystems competing in the marketplace.

The marketplace being outside of crypto?

What is it that open bazaar will provide that other decentralised marketplaces don't, if you forgive the lazy question?
inBitweTrust

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 01:33:21 PM

What is it that open bazaar will provide that other decentralised marketplaces don't, if you forgive the lazy question?

Many things like Ricardian Contracts, but rather than rehash these threads for you it doesn't matter if 2 decentralized marketplaces have the exact same features with the exact same technology(In this case there are profound differences) because we want multiple decentralized marketplaces for security to insure bugs, or attacks upon one marketplace don't bring down all decentralized electronic trade.

This is also what makes Bitcoin far more secure than any other alt at the moment: The scale of the amount of developers and research analysts all looking and checking the code and the fact that there exists multiple implementations which interact with the bitcoin block chain with different teams of developers, written in different languages is very important to the health of the ecosystem.

So yes, we welcome the Nxt marketplace as you should welcome the Open Bazaar marketplace if you want a healthy ecosystem.

btbrae

Activity: 680

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 02:09:19 PM

Might use this to get rid of some electronics and games. Looks like a worthwhile project I'm sick of ebay.
peeveepee

Activity: 211

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 02:18:19 PM

If it is the latter, then it is already here: http://nxtfreemarket.com/

If it is the former, ignore this post and continue to wait.

Any guide to show how it actually work?

That is, if I am a small player and want to start a store business on the internet, how is the market going to benefit without me getting scammed?
inBitweTrust

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 02:36:14 PM

Any guide to show how it actually work?

That is, if I am a small player and want to start a store business on the internet, how is the market going to benefit without me getting scammed?
Is this question concerning nxtfreemarket or Open Bazaar?

If the former please don't answer this question unless in the context of a comparative analysis of nxtfreemarket vs Open Bazaar as we don't want to derail this thread talking about alts.

Daedelus

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 02:40:20 PM

No problem.

I PM'd an info thread to peeveepee to avoid derailing.  I don't know enough about Open Bazaar to do a comparative analysis.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 03:54:25 PM
Last edit: October 24, 2014, 04:44:15 PM by knight22

Sam Patterson answered how this escrow reputation system will work here: https://libertyme.adobeconnect.com/p3r3kbbd7oe/?launcher=false&fcsContent=true&pbMode=normal

Basically they are still trying to figure it out. They want to introduce a pool of arbitrators that will vote to attribute an arbitrator for each case to make it harder for someone to scam and become it's own arbitrator.
This is not very reassuring, nor would it want me to be comfortable trusting my hard-earned money at the marketplace.

If an arbitrator must be "voted in" by existing arbitrators then someone could potentially buy up a lot of arbitrator accounts to create additional arbitrator accounts which would further the attacker's ability to scam.

Seems pretty far stretched IMO. Keep in mind there will be a reputation system for arbitrator. Buying a lot of good reputation to make scams wouldn't last very long before any body figure it out and all reputations of these account will be affected. That would be a very costly and risky scam operation.
Someone could buy up a bunch of accounts with positive reputation and these accounts with positive reputation would vote their "scam" accounts to be an arbitrator. The accounts that are purchased would continue to act honestly, but the accounts that were "voted in" would not be honest

It would still require the scammer to highjack the whole voting pool. How many accounts would need a scammer to vote himself as arbitrator every single time? At what cost? It still seems far stretched to me. If the arbitrators that vote are chosen through a random process among the best reputations, that would make almost impossible such attacks.
Such an attack would cost nothing. All an attacker would have to do is buy up a lot of accounts with good/a lot of reputation, use the accounts with good reputation "honestly", vote in additional accounts that can work as escrow, scam with the newly voted-in accounts, then sell the existing "honest" accounts at the same price they were purchased for (or potentially for more as they would have theoretically gained additional reputation by continuing to act honestly).

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

You still need to put a lot of money upfront taking the risk that you'll be able to sell all of them at the same rate.
Again. It is pretty far stretch to assume someone will buy enough account to be able to highjack the whole pool.

h4xx0r

Activity: 154

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 02:03:18 AM

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

You still need to put a lot of money upfront taking the risk that you'll be able to sell all of them at the same rate.
Again. It is pretty far stretch to assume someone will buy enough account to be able to highjack the whole pool.

Excellent spelling there Einstein. you take the weight right out of your argument with poor spelling.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 02:54:14 AM

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Excellent spelling there Einstein. you take the weight right out of your argument with poor spelling.
Excellent capitalization there, Einstein. You take the weight right out of your trolling with poor sentence structure.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Eisenhower34
Legendary

Activity: 906
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 03:16:09 AM

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I don't see why you say it is a far stretch that someone would buy up enough accounts like this. If someone wanted to scam, this is how they would do it.

You would need money upfront, however you would get this money back once the scam is complete. Market economics would say that the attacker would not overpay for these reputation accounts so your argument about the risk of having to sell the reputation accounts at a loss is invalid
bigbadwolf111

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 08:21:22 AM

Might use this to get rid of some electronics and games. Looks like a worthwhile project I'm sick of ebay.

Is this an online selling site like ebay?
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 04:17:40 PM

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I don't see why you say it is a far stretch that someone would buy up enough accounts like this. If someone wanted to scam, this is how they would do it.

You would need money upfront, however you would get this money back once the scam is complete. Market economics would say that the attacker would not overpay for these reputation accounts so your argument about the risk of having to sell the reputation accounts at a loss is invalid

Because of market dynamics. Serious arbitrators that want to do arbitrage on the long run as a "living" won't sale their reputations in the first place. Of course in a small pool it would still be fairly easy for a scammer to buy enough accounts but impossible in a large pool.

Is this an online selling site like ebay?

That's the goal but it's a work in progress.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: