Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 05:23:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenBazaar - decentralized eBay  (Read 41595 times)
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 12:22:03 PM

I wish bitmit was still operational, would be using it now Sad

Yeah, bitmit was really pretty nice.  I miss it too.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
kotwica666
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1035

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 12:27:43 PM

Scammers are everywhere and they will be! It's about law and speed of his executing. In point where Cryptos are now, that's very difficult..

Hurry up with the opening, because the price of BTC will fall to the basement! Cheesy
I can not wait to test the page!
I wish you BIG success with this project!

What makes you think that the opening is going to help the price in any way?

Just opening will not raise the price, but this project looks very good. If they bring people = bring money, increase volume and raise price... That's my plan Cheesy

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████░░██████████████████████████░░███████████████████
███████████████░░██████████████████████████░░█████████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░██░░██░░░░░░░░░░██░░███████████████
███████████████████░░░░░░██░░██████░░░░░░██░░█████████████████
█████████████████████░░░░░░██████████░░░░░░███████████████████

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.....I AM BLACKJACK.FUN.....

jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2014, 04:21:51 PM

Read more about it now that v2 is out. I'm especially interested in how the rating of trust system will work and if it can be gamed. I think that this is important and a make or break feature that is hard to implement.

Some1else0

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 04:46:35 PM

It'd be really cool if they can get this to work well. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
BTCmoons

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 05:08:50 PM

Scammers are everywhere and they will be! It's about law and speed of his executing. In point where Cryptos are now, that's very difficult..

Hurry up with the opening, because the price of BTC will fall to the basement! Cheesy
I don't think that the opening of open brazaar will cause the price of bitcoin to decline. Can you eliberate?

I agree that the site will be full of scammers and there will be little way to police them and little way to make others aware of their scams
kotwica666
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1035

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 05:22:43 PM

I don't think that the opening of open brazaar will cause the price of bitcoin to decline. Can you eliberate?

I agree that the site will be full of scammers and there will be little way to police them and little way to make others aware of their scams

If you're right - it would mean that Bitcoin nowhere can be used safely.
They have to deal with this problem and i wish them find out how to resolve that!

.....I AM BLACKJACK.FUN.....

knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 05:43:37 PM

There will be a reputation system using proof-of-burn as an option.

https://blog.openbazaar.org/proof-of-burn-and-reputation-pledges/

2dogs
Legendary

Activity: 1267

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 06:28:44 PM

They are taking forever to open this - what's the delay?
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 06:30:44 PM

They are taking forever to open this - what's the delay?

Scheduled for early December.

mnmShadyBTC

Activity: 151

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 08:27:42 PM

If you have to pay for reputation then you will have an incentive to keep it "clean" so you would be susceptible to bogus claims of fraud by buyers (I don't see anything about buyers needing to pay for reputation)

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience - PRIMEDICE 3 HAS LAUNCHED @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 08:55:29 PM

If you have to pay for reputation then you will have an incentive to keep it "clean" so you would be susceptible to bogus claims of fraud by buyers (I don't see anything about buyers needing to pay for reputation)

You don't have to pay for reputation. You can use proof of burn to speed up your reputation but this is optional.

cryptworld

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 10:24:13 PM

can openbazaar be accessed without installing any type of software?
I mean,like ebay with an url
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 11:02:07 PM

There are dependencies and software that needs to be installed. This isn't a site you go to with your browser, but a decentralized platform.

cryptworld

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 11:08:06 PM

There are dependencies and software that needs to be installed. This isn't a site you go to with your browser, but a decentralized platform.
and is there any way to install it in windows or only linux?
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 11:27:03 PM

and is there any way to install it in windows or only linux?

Linux and OSX only right now -
https://github.com/OpenBazaar/OpenBazaar/wiki/Build-Instructions
https://blog.openbazaar.org/

Windows coming soon.

santaClause

Activity: 183

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 03:09:49 AM

You don't have to pay for reputation. You can use proof of burn to speed up your reputation but this is optional.
If you don't need to pay/burn bitcoin for your reputation then why couldn't someone with little to no reputation try to scam? Or why couldn't someone make a bunch of sockpuppet accounts to build up "reputation" and then scam with their "reputable" account
jabo38
Legendary

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2014, 06:59:42 AM

To all ebay sellers:

Once open bazaar is ready, list all the things you sell on ebay at open bazaar.  Next time you make a sale send a card to your open bazaar shop for future customers.  Should be able to offer a discount with the savings, i will be Smiley

that is a good idea

jabo38
Legendary

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2014, 07:02:37 AM

Someday as a buyer, it will probably be possible that a website will be set up that allows people to use OpenBazzar without the client.  The guys over at NXT did just that with SecureAE.  But don't expect it anytime soon. 

knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 05:37:37 PM

OpenBazaar is a great concept, and from the moment I learned of bitcoin, I kept wanting to build something like this myself (though sadly I never got around to it).

I think the beauty of the idea is that since it's decentralized by nature, anyone can build their own 'eBay' site/app to list the many products/services available throughout OpenBazaar.  It would be like if eBay was open source and you didn't have to ever go to 'ebay.com' to buy/sell anything.  I think early on this sort of concept would be best opened to developers to build applications/sites through which the later wave of public users could actually use.  At this stage, it's too early for wide usage.

The major flaw though is that there is no incentive for arbitrators because there are no fees.  And because there are no incentives for arbitrators, there will be a lot of scams abound ... or you'll have to rely on building trust over time; trustworthy buyers and repeat customers.  So, I don't see this turning into eBay per se, but more of a decentralized e-commerce platform for shops, though still, it can easily become scam central.

Really, in the end, unfortunately it will work best for dark markets, which may in effect possibly drive up bitcoin transactions more than legal markets.  Regardless of how much the OpenBazaar team claims to be against the sale of illegal goods/services, this platform will be best used for that purpose.

For it to work well for legal goods/services, there would have to be a fee structure with incentives for arbitrators/escrow services.

There will be fees to the arbitrators if arbitrage is needed. No fees apply only if the trade goes smooth.

ANTIcentralized

Activity: 210

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 05:46:10 AM

OpenBazaar is a great concept, and from the moment I learned of bitcoin, I kept wanting to build something like this myself (though sadly I never got around to it).

I think the beauty of the idea is that since it's decentralized by nature, anyone can build their own 'eBay' site/app to list the many products/services available throughout OpenBazaar.  It would be like if eBay was open source and you didn't have to ever go to 'ebay.com' to buy/sell anything.  I think early on this sort of concept would be best opened to developers to build applications/sites through which the later wave of public users could actually use.  At this stage, it's too early for wide usage.

The major flaw though is that there is no incentive for arbitrators because there are no fees.  And because there are no incentives for arbitrators, there will be a lot of scams abound ... or you'll have to rely on building trust over time; trustworthy buyers and repeat customers.  So, I don't see this turning into eBay per se, but more of a decentralized e-commerce platform for shops, though still, it can easily become scam central.

Really, in the end, unfortunately it will work best for dark markets, which may in effect possibly drive up bitcoin transactions more than legal markets.  Regardless of how much the OpenBazaar team claims to be against the sale of illegal goods/services, this platform will be best used for that purpose.

For it to work well for legal goods/services, there would have to be a fee structure with incentives for arbitrators/escrow services.

There will be fees to the arbitrators if arbitrage is needed. No fees apply only if the trade goes smooth.

I think this could potentially result in arbitrators receiving a higher then warranted level of trust within the community. The arbitrator could "oversee" hundreds of transactions and never have to intervene with their trust getting built up, however their judgement nor their ability to be trusted would be tested. This could result in people being able to scam because the arbitrator does not know how to tell a scam is being pulled off or because the arbitrator is in on the scam
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: