Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:06:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [350 GH/s] "Eligius" (experimental) pool: almost feeless PPS, hoppers welcome  (Read 116929 times)
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 07:48:35 AM

The EU pool on Eligius has been having bad luck recently.  Only two blocks solved in the past week!  Average should be about 3-4.
It's a pretty small pool, so you are going to have runs of good or bad luck like this.  When the luck is better you will make a lot, when the luck is bad, not so much.
Luke: since Eligius is still a little pool, why not join the eu and us pools together to minimize the variance?
I'm not sure why everyone assumes this is easy, or even possible... The main difficulty is finding a way to handle network issues when they can't talk.
how important is ping time in mining? I am throwing my shares at the us server - from europe and it seems to work fine. (ping 130ms at the moment)
I was mining over satellite internet and it was having empty queue errors all the time at higher aggression. I have since switch to a wireless tether to my cell phone and it seems to be doing better. My signal sucks here out in the boonies and it would probably be way better if I had more than a quarter bar.

extension antenna?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Artefact2

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2011, 07:50:05 AM

The EU pool on Eligius has been having bad luck recently.  Only two blocks solved in the past week!  Average should be about 3-4.
It's a pretty small pool, so you are going to have runs of good or bad luck like this.  When the luck is better you will make a lot, when the luck is bad, not so much.
Luke: since Eligius is still a little pool, why not join the eu and us pools together to minimize the variance?
I'm not sure why everyone assumes this is easy, or even possible... The main difficulty is finding a way to handle network issues when they can't talk.
how important is ping time in mining? I am throwing my shares at the us server - from europe and it seems to work fine. (ping 130ms at the moment)

Ping is not important, but reliability is. If EU finds a block, and cannot reach US (because of a network problem, or the US pool is down for example), how is it going to distribute the 50 BTC ? And no, waiting is not an option Wink

Also, I wanted to thank back all the people that helped me improving the graphs here and on IRC ! As you can see, the total paid is displayed as well.

A pool-biased blockchain representation, by me: pident (WTFPL)
phelix
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 07:50:52 AM

at the moment I get about four times as many shares rejected as accepted. I'm not quite sure but I think this is bad news? other pool works with the same card...
phelix
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 07:52:51 AM

Ping is not important, but reliability is. If EU finds a block, and cannot reach US (because of a network problem, or the US pool is down for example), how is it going to distribute the 50 BTC ? And no, waiting is not an option Wink

well then why not simply pull the plug on one of the servers and direct everyone to the same server... also less work for luke and you?
Artefact2

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2011, 07:57:52 AM

well then why not simply pull the plug on one of the servers and direct everyone to the same server... also less work for luke and you?

The point of having two pools in the first place is to have a better connectivity, whether you are in the US or in Europe. I'm in France, and I get much less rejected shares / connection problems with the Europe pool.

tiberiandusk

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2011, 08:16:02 AM

As soon as I get a few more bitcoins I want to buy a cell phone signal repeater for my house so signal won't be a problem. My dad is thinking about getting a 4G Thunderbolt so I'll have to borrow it and see what sort of 4G signal, if any, is available. Eventually I would like to buy some wind turbines and solar panels and go completely off grid and even maybe sell excess power back to the grid. I think it would be sweet to have a mining operation that is entirely self sufficient in case of a major attack on pools or hosting companies or anything. A hard emergency backup plan. All I need are funds. Come on Newegg! Restock those 5870x2's!

Bitcoin Auction House http://www.BitBid.net BTC - 1EwfBVC6BwA6YeqcYZmm3htwykK3MStW6N | LTC - LdBpJJHj4WSAsUqaTbwyJQFiG1tVjo4Uys Don't get Goxed.
phelix
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 02:30:51 PM

The point of having two pools in the first place is to have a better connectivity, whether you are in the US or in Europe. I'm in France, and I get much less rejected shares / connection problems with the Europe pool.
now that you say it I am getting four times more rejected shares than accepted. I am quite sure it was not like that yesterday...

phoenix and eligius together make a good team to keep me pampering the rig =)
dudel42

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 03:09:00 PM

The estimate isn't per 24 hours, it's per-block; right now, Europe should find a block on average every 21 hours, which works out to 0.41 BTC every 24. You should see your estimate creep up (possibly slowly) toward the point where it reaches the full .56 BTC per 24 hours (which would be .49 BTC per 21).

sorry to keep bringing up the same topic again, I just want to make sure I understand what's going on.

it's now exactly 72 hours of nonstop 240mh/s going to the eu-eligius pool. hashrate shows up in the pool statistics just fine, with the expected variations but pretty close on average.

now my total earnings for these 3 days are 0.8 BTC, whereas the calculator estimates 1.68 for this time.

Is this just bad luck with the pool? would switching to a larger pool (us eligius or one of the other bigger ones) help me getting (much) closer to the estimated rewards? less than half is kinda depressing Wink
nyargh

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 03:48:32 PM

The estimate isn't per 24 hours, it's per-block; right now, Europe should find a block on average every 21 hours, which works out to 0.41 BTC every 24. You should see your estimate creep up (possibly slowly) toward the point where it reaches the full .56 BTC per 24 hours (which would be .49 BTC per 21).

sorry to keep bringing up the same topic again, I just want to make sure I understand what's going on.

it's now exactly 72 hours of nonstop 240mh/s going to the eu-eligius pool. hashrate shows up in the pool statistics just fine, with the expected variations but pretty close on average.

now my total earnings for these 3 days are 0.8 BTC, whereas the calculator estimates 1.68 for this time.

Is this just bad luck with the pool? would switching to a larger pool (us eligius or one of the other bigger ones) help me getting (much) closer to the estimated rewards? less than half is kinda depressing Wink

I'm seeing the same issue.  I think there is something wrong with the pool...
Artefact2

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2011, 04:09:45 PM

It is just bad luck. EU is a relatively small pool, some variance is to be expected.

dudel42

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 05:01:18 PM

It is just bad luck. EU is a relatively small pool, some variance is to be expected.

so the big question is, should I stay or should I go now..?

stick with it and hope for better than average? or move to a bigger pool...
Artefact2

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2011, 06:50:52 PM

so the big question is, should I stay or should I go now..?

stick with it and hope for better than average? or move to a bigger pool...

It's your choice.

Objectively, Eligius is better because it has practically no fee, and it has some of the nicest ( Grin ) stats available.

dudel42

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 06:55:14 PM

It's your choice.

Objectively, Eligius is better because it has practically no fee, and it has some of the nicest ( Grin ) stats available.

oh yeah, I like the stats, but I would like them even better if they showed more earnings Wink

the other thing I really like is that there's no need to signup, using your bc address simply makes sense!
nyargh

Activity: 25

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 07:50:49 PM

Now my shares don't seem to be showing up at all?  Huh

16xwypiCcnwJCFyFThhomXWy6A9uWWn4L4 is me

Back to slush...

This seems to be an issue with DiabloMiner, the hash rate reported in the pool stats is where it should be now using phoenix/phatk. 

In case anyone else might run into this I was using the latest DiabloMiner with dual 5830 cards on a Debian system running the 11.5 driver and 2.4 SDK.

irishmick

Activity: 134

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 11:40:08 PM

I've had 220 or so going to eligius for a few days. 2 hr average hashrate hovers pretty close to 220, with dips and spikes of varying degrees.

What miner are you using?

Sorry just saw this. I'm using GUIMiner.

http://doge.crypto49er.com:9555         http://doge-eu.crypto49er.com:9555
Pool donations: DTPgwgDvyDL3vcnJFf33nkhBm6o2ZxVT6G
StanMarsh

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 11:30:33 AM

I've mined on this server for about 30 hours with 270 Mhash/s a few days ago. I didn't receive any bitcoins at all and Luke-Jr hasn't replied to my private messages (although he has been online on the forums several times).
I think this server isn't trustworthy at all...
irishmick

Activity: 134

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 11:35:52 AM

I can't speak to your situation, but I've received a share of every block found since I started and it's obvious I've received payment since it's right on the block transaction. I love this pool ;o)

http://doge.crypto49er.com:9555         http://doge-eu.crypto49er.com:9555
Pool donations: DTPgwgDvyDL3vcnJFf33nkhBm6o2ZxVT6G
Bitcoineruk

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 01:19:29 PM

I've mined on this server for about 30 hours with 270 Mhash/s a few days ago. I didn't receive any bitcoins at all and Luke-Jr hasn't replied to my private messages (although he has been online on the forums several times).
I think this server isn't trustworthy at all...

No block was found, so you dont get paid, its not Pay per share on this server, its proportional, pool is trustworthy, your just expecting the wrong thing from a small pool whos luck isnt the best at this moment.
StanMarsh

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 01:30:01 PM

Ok, thanks for the explanation guys. I just wonder why Luke-Jr hasn't replied to any messages, although he has logged on several times on the forums since then.
Artefact2

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2011, 01:41:01 PM

Ok, thanks for the explanation guys. I just wonder why Luke-Jr hasn't replied to any messages, although he has logged on several times on the forums since then.

Heh, maybe because he's busy ? Roll Eyes

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 »
  Print  

Jump to: