Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 02:20:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 [458] 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 ... 516 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S3+ Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 709809 times)
djroadking

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 01:32:01 AM

I'll probably grab one more S3 or I'll wait and see the next miner from Bitmain... Decisions, decisions...

<a href="http://moonbit.co.in/?ref=c5f9adca1f79">MoonBit - The Bitcoin Faucet When You Decide When To Claim</a>

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Moria843

Activity: 442
Merit: 250

Found Lost beach - quiet now

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 06:49:46 PM

Any words of repair wisdom when one blade just stops working? It's been down for 2 days.
Already tried the obvious, rebooting through web interface and hard reboot from turning power supply off and on.

Hot time, summer in the city, back of my mine getting hot & gritty!!!
windpath
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2015, 06:55:55 PM

Any words of repair wisdom when one blade just stops working? It's been down for 2 days.
Already tried the obvious, rebooting through web interface and hard reboot from turning power supply off and on.

Re-seating the ribbon cables, blowing any dust accumulation out....
rpandassociates

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 06:57:35 PM

well I would say
#1 test to make sure power is coming down those cables. Use a meter or if you dont have a meter switch the cables and see if the working board fails to start

#2 Open it up and check all connections to the malfunctioning board, does the board indicator lights come on? Its odd for a board to completely fail unless theres a bad connection

#3 unplug and replug all connections sometimes there may be come oxidation preventing a good connection I recently purchased a used S4 that would not boot, i removed the SD card and reinserted and it booted, my theory is oxidation or loose SD connector? Not sure but it worked. Over time contacts in electronic devices can oxidize and cause connection to fail, thats why they make contact cleaner Smiley more prevelant with brass connections but anytime you have dissimilar materials in contact with one another there is the chance to build oxidation. In the S4 scenario the SD card pins are silver and the card pins are gold plated Smiley by unplugging them and repluggin them it scrapes that crap away and makes contact again. Just a theory I am not a electronics expert just stating my observations.

rpandassociates

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 07:03:17 PM

PMed, please check Smiley

I just bought 2 s3s a few days ago and one of the temp readings is very off. It reads 1-2 degrees and is obviously not possible for the amount that it's hashing. Is there any fix to this? I already tried to update firmware from stock to latest and it made no difference. I'm concerned because its off on the hotter side, so if temps go up, it may not shut down correctly once it reaches a critical temp and also could be a fire hazard.

Also, the fans in one are spinning much faster than the other, even though they are right beside each other and running off the same PSU (1000w Dell server PSU running at 800w since it's 120v). I do notice that the temps are slightly higher in the one where the fans run faster, but only by 2-3 degrees, so I don't see why the fans should be spinning 50%+ faster than the other. Maybe ripping it apart and reapplying some better thermal paste would help? Not sure if it's worth doing.

diff 2048 is way to high for a S3 they like a diff of 512
and more than likely the temp sensor is bad or the thermal paste for that sensor, and worse case scenario been alot of reports with the earlier batches of S3's having sloppy thermal paste applied. I have seen any images of the crap all over the place, in the later batches Bitmain did a much better job applying the paste. Guess they fired or retrained that worker that was applying to much paste. So hard to find good help Smiley
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 07:30:11 PM

Is there any way to test a used S3+?

Best way would be to run it and look at asic stats see if any X's.  I know out of 6 machines i ended up with 2 with 1 x each.  They sold for less because of this.
Daza

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 11:13:22 PM

PMed, please check Smiley

I just bought 2 s3s a few days ago and one of the temp readings is very off. It reads 1-2 degrees and is obviously not possible for the amount that it's hashing. Is there any fix to this? I already tried to update firmware from stock to latest and it made no difference. I'm concerned because its off on the hotter side, so if temps go up, it may not shut down correctly once it reaches a critical temp and also could be a fire hazard.

Also, the fans in one are spinning much faster than the other, even though they are right beside each other and running off the same PSU (1000w Dell server PSU running at 800w since it's 120v). I do notice that the temps are slightly higher in the one where the fans run faster, but only by 2-3 degrees, so I don't see why the fans should be spinning 50%+ faster than the other. Maybe ripping it apart and reapplying some better thermal paste would help? Not sure if it's worth doing.

https://i.imgur.com/5y2A6wI.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/z3is70L.jpg

diff 2048 is way to high for a S3 they like a diff of 512
and more than likely the temp sensor is bad or the thermal paste for that sensor, and worse case scenario been alot of reports with the earlier batches of S3's having sloppy thermal paste applied. I have seen any images of the crap all over the place, in the later batches Bitmain did a much better job applying the paste. Guess they fired or retrained that worker that was applying to much paste. So hard to find good help Smiley

I am a bit of a noob to mining as these are my first miners, so would you be able to explain how I can set the difficulty? Right now the diff seems to change over time. When I reboot the miner it will go to 1k, then it dropped to 512 and after them running for some time it seems to increase. Is there any place I can read about what diff does? Is there any place I can read about what the other stats are on the miner status page? I tried to do some searching in the forums but haven't had much luck yet.
rpandassociates

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 02:19:40 AM

Well some pools set variable diff for you, none should be setting 2048 Ina 500ghs miner Wink that's for 2ths most pools have a option to set it on the pool worker setup page then some pools let you set it via adding ##512 after the user name depends on here your mining at Smiley now a bit of advice on selecting a pool unless your running a huge mine your payout at the larger pools like antpool ghash and such wont amount to much as your paid by your portion of the pools power if @ 1ths your not earning .01+ BTC per day then your better off mining elsewhere I like slushs pool but when he has bad luck it sucks when he as good luck its awesome. Bitcoinminingaffiliatenetwork is a good one for a steady payout then I also like eligius.st for a steady payout but it takes a cpl days to enter the payout que but once you do its steady. Then you got BTCguild but I have found the payouts low there due to the same ghash statement above. And then you can also rent your rigs at miningrigrentals and westhash nicehash and actually do pretty good making a bit ore than by mining Wink and then you got multipools and mining alt 256 coins I made a real nice profit mining XPY and dumping it at its peak and I did the same by mining ecash/emoney yesterday Wink welcome to the wonderful world of crypto mining good luck out there.
rpandassociates

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 02:25:29 AM

Check out ipominer.com and multipool.us for the alt mining there's alot to learn when it comes to mining and the forums hold alot of great info also check out the Facebook group crypto currency collectors club , that's where I heard about the release and premine of paycoin, bitbean, and ecash and made out nicely on them Wink
rpandassociates

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 02:36:49 AM

Also just looked closer at your image Wink you definately need to mine somewhere else with  only 1ths your payout at discus fish (f2pool) and ghash will never amount to much you would be much better off at bitcounaffiliatenetwork or eligius if your a gambling man slushs pool pays the most if they are having good luck and steady blocks I have seen days at slushs pool where we found 8 blocks then I have seen days of only 1 block slushs is high risk high reward as were eligius is low risk normal reward same goes for BAN pool I keep a close eye when I mine at slushs and bail when I see a 8-9hr block as that typically is a signal its headed for 24+ hrs cut my losses and head over to eligius until slushs shows a cpl 3 hour or less blocks. That's my strategy on slushs if I head out of town for a few days I point them to either eligius or BAN So i don't have to monitor them and worry about spending more on electric than I mine Wink
Daza

Activity: 5

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 05:24:34 AM

Your replies have been awesome! Very helpful. Honesty, when I got the miners, I started to read about the pools and the differences between them and it was all a bit overwhelming to make a choice as to which one to go to (even with the very helpful guides I found). I landed up just using the same pools that were programmed into the miners (with my own account of course). I took a look at the pools you've suggested and decided to go with the BAN pool and I was able to figure out how to mine at 512 diff. F2Pool had no place where I could set the diff and there was no info that I could find to say how you were supposed to configure the diff in the miner.

I realize now that this has gone pretty much off topic for the thread. I didn't realize that this was a pool config issue and not a miner issue. I am a silly noob, but thanks for educating me Smiley
joeybada$$

Activity: 3

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 05:06:35 PM

anyone has had any issue connecting Ant's to Comcast, wifi or directly to the router? Miner shows connected but it wont connect to the pools. If i switch to my Iphone tethered internet, the miner runs fine. I have tried using a wifi extender to increase wireless signal to the ant's but still wont kick on and run? What could be the issue and advice where to look or what to check out? thanks in advance.
cloh76

Activity: 318
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 06:59:54 PM

Well some pools set variable diff for you, none should be setting 2048 Ina 500ghs miner Wink that's for 2ths most pools have a option to set it on the pool worker setup page then some pools let you set it via adding ##512 after the user name depends on here your mining at Smiley now a bit of advice on selecting a pool unless your running a huge mine your payout at the larger pools like antpool ghash and such wont amount to much as your paid by your portion of the pools power if @ 1ths your not earning .01+ BTC per day then your better off mining elsewhere I like slushs pool but when he has bad luck it sucks when he as good luck its awesome. Bitcoinminingaffiliatenetwork is a good one for a steady payout then I also like eligius.st for a steady payout but it takes a cpl days to enter the payout que but once you do its steady. Then you got BTCguild but I have found the payouts low there due to the same ghash statement above. And then you can also rent your rigs at miningrigrentals and westhash nicehash and actually do pretty good making a bit ore than by mining Wink and then you got multipools and mining alt 256 coins I made a real nice profit mining XPY and dumping it at its peak and I did the same by mining ecash/emoney yesterday Wink welcome to the wonderful world of crypto mining good luck out there.

Im glad I saw this post.  Always helpful to troll these forums for good advice.

I currently have 6 S3+ Antminers directed to BTCGuild.  Roughly 2700 GH earning about .02+ BTC per day.  Initially when I started mining, I was on Slush's pool., but for the past 6 months have moved to BTCGuild.  With my current hashrate and earnings  is it recommended for me to switch pools to either Eligius or back to Slush?  I have the miners sitting at my office, so electricity is not an issue, but I want to earn the most for my hashrate unattended.

[ BTC Donations: 13RNJdT72WEd1FsT3CwdJ6jy9NAa7Hsb54 ]
rpandassociates

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 12:14:13 AM

well weighing the pools eligius and slushs are vastly different I kind of sum it up above Smiley
Slushs ='s high risk high reward or extremly low reward on bad luck runs Smiley
Eligius ='s low risk steady normal rewards

at slush running 5.6Ths i average about 0.014 per block now a few days back we had 8 blocks in one day very nice payout  Smiley however thus far for the 27th been 2 block totalling 14hrs and currently running the 3rd block which just breached 11hrs  so thats 3 blocks in 24 hrs = a crappy pay out .039 for the 24+hr period meanwhile the electric bill keeps a churning Smiley

I bailed and ran back to eligius where i average .065 per 24hrs

so as of the last cpl months slushs good days have not been making up for the bad days I have noticed a correlation between slushs pool crossing 10PH and long block times, i think its a script bug with his pool software as the higher the PH the more blocks should be found not the opposite. makes no mathmatical sense

I monitor slush every day and tend to leave when a block time exceeds 9hrs as its a ominent sign its going to be a long block
on the 22nd he had 1 single block in 29hrs:55mins:19 yeah mine all day for .013 BTC lost money that day.
aarons6
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 08:23:54 PM

well weighing the pools eligius and slushs are vastly different I kind of sum it up above Smiley
Slushs ='s high risk high reward or extremly low reward on bad luck runs Smiley
Eligius ='s low risk steady normal rewards

at slush running 5.6Ths i average about 0.014 per block now a few days back we had 8 blocks in one day very nice payout  Smiley however thus far for the 27th been 2 block totalling 14hrs and currently running the 3rd block which just breached 11hrs  so thats 3 blocks in 24 hrs = a crappy pay out .039 for the 24+hr period meanwhile the electric bill keeps a churning Smiley

I bailed and ran back to eligius where i average .065 per 24hrs

so as of the last cpl months slushs good days have not been making up for the bad days I have noticed a correlation between slushs pool crossing 10PH and long block times, i think its a script bug with his pool software as the higher the PH the more blocks should be found not the opposite. makes no mathmatical sense

I monitor slush every day and tend to leave when a block time exceeds 9hrs as its a ominent sign its going to be a long block
on the 22nd he had 1 single block in 29hrs:55mins:19 yeah mine all day for .013 BTC lost money that day.

ive been using bitcoinaffiliatenetwork since i got my s3s.
they have been paying out more then the calculator on bitcoinwisdom says i should be making with my hash rate. the payout is pretty constant.. sometimes it goes a few hours longer than my threshold but i always get what the system says i should get..

i suppose a pplns pool can get a good day and get more blocks and beat them, but i think the dips usually outweigh the spikes.. and it averages out to be less than pps in the end.
rpandassociates

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 09:35:44 PM

I mine at BAN as well, and totally agree. I split my rigs between both pools and do like the extra dogie and NMC from BAN I usually trade it off for XRP its a nice bit of icing on top. I would point all my rigs to BAN but my more powerful rigs the C1s the S4s and S5s always show a lower than expected hashrate at BAN and they tend to ride a roller coaster for some reason. Where as at eligius they run stable. But BAN runs perfect on my S3s Wink
aarons6
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 12:04:56 AM

I mine at BAN as well, and totally agree. I split my rigs between both pools and do like the extra dogie and NMC from BAN I usually trade it off for XRP its a nice bit of icing on top. I would point all my rigs to BAN but my more powerful rigs the C1s the S4s and S5s always show a lower than expected hashrate at BAN and they tend to ride a roller coaster for some reason. Where as at eligius they run stable. But BAN runs perfect on my S3s Wink

did you try the port 3335 that fixes the diff to 2048?
rpandassociates

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 12:30:51 AM

Yeah tried everything even spent about a hr or so with on of the admins using ##1024 ##2048 etc behind the usernames to force a set diff, was not so much the S4s as it was the C1s would come in at 800ghs versus the 1.1ths the miner panel would show, and the S4s and S5s kept coming in low tried various ports various diffs even manually setting lowest ping server. Ultimately 200ghs here 100 there it adds up. Wink all my S3s run perfect there and the poolside hash rate matches the miner hashrate perfectly. But never my bigger rigs
imagina

Activity: 35

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 10:07:46 PM

Hello guys,

I am having a problem with logging in on my S3+ after changing some configurations.

Basically the steps made were:

1. Updated the miner to a new mining pool
2. Changed the password to "password"
3. Rebooted and logged in with the password "password"
4. Checked if the mining was working on the new pool and everything was fine
5. Changed the network settings from DHCP client to Fixed IP
6. Turned off the miner

When I got to the new place to connect the miner it never showed on the mining pool.  Tried to log in via port 80, it says that the password is  not correct,  tried via SSH and I get the same error.

The miner replies to pings from the fixed IP that I have configured and I can access to the login page via HTTP and it asks me for user and password via SSH.

I have tried several times the hardware reset procedure but with no success, it stays always on the last fixed IP that i have configured and it does not let me login using any of the passwords that i have used on the past.

I am really without any more ideas for testing this. Please help me!

I will tip anyone that can help me solve this issue.

Thank you very much.
ZymurBits

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 01:57:19 PM

Sounds like you may have 2 devices using the same IP address.  Try connecting directly to the miner with a laptop (you'll need to change your laptop IP to something on the same subnet with the gateway set to the miners address).
Pages: « 1 ... 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 [458] 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 ... 516 »
  Print  

Jump to: