Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:45:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 [468] 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S3+ Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 709802 times)
no141

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 03:06:36 PM

Following Bitmain's suggestion I shut down my second S3+ and tested the bad hash board with the other's controller.  The hash board is still bad but I did just find a difference between the two S3+'s.  The one that has remained good has components on the inside above the heatsink as S3's have.  The S3+ with a failed hash board has no components on the reverse side except the ribbon connector of course.

Good thing I did what they said as dust was accumulating on the internal heatsink of the good S3+ behind the front fan.

Did you take pics? I'm curious to see the differences. Maybe it's just due to different batches?

As far as I can tell there's really no such thing as an S3+, it's just the freq the miner was set at. Are there actually hardware differences between a marketed S3 and S3+?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ToQcHista

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

ToQcHista

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 03:23:27 PM

what is this ? Needed?

It's a mining pool on the miner config screen.  It's only needed if you plan to mine to that pool.  Unsure exactly what you're asking.

What is this red underland top ?

I that buy s3 , this data was write .

Remove this data if was ?

I understand what you are asking now. You need to go to the miner configuration page and it's best if all three pools are filled in. If you only have two pools, maybe one has a different connection you can use as a backup. An example: You use west-01.miningpool.com as pool 1, a different pool for pool 2, and pool 3 instead of being empty, might be east-01.miningpool.com

What is happening now, if your pools seem to be down, you are mining for someone else. Get rid of that third pool listing that is not yours. Leave it empty if you have nothing else.

I only using 1 pool and what advice me will use 2 pool ?  What will happens ? Good is that i will use 2 pool ?

" I tie a rope around my penis and jump from a tree "
soy
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 03:43:19 PM

Following Bitmain's suggestion I shut down my second S3+ and tested the bad hash board with the other's controller.  The hash board is still bad but I did just find a difference between the two S3+'s.  The one that has remained good has components on the inside above the heatsink as S3's have.  The S3+ with a failed hash board has no components on the reverse side except the ribbon connector of course.

Good thing I did what they said as dust was accumulating on the internal heatsink of the good S3+ behind the front fan.

Did you take pics? I'm curious to see the differences. Maybe it's just due to different batches?

As far as I can tell there's really no such thing as an S3+, it's just the freq the miner was set at. Are there actually hardware differences between a marketed S3 and S3+?

This is an S3_Hash Board_262 V1.1.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_DLmNkCkkVpOS05bkRCblRjVzQ/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_DLmNkCkkVpa2NPWmh0VjAwXzg/view?usp=sharing

I tried the image button but get an invalid image type.  Let me know if there's a view problem as I might need to change share settings.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 03:45:09 PM

what is this ? Needed?

It's a mining pool on the miner config screen.  It's only needed if you plan to mine to that pool.  Unsure exactly what you're asking.

I understand what you are asking now. You need to go to the miner configuration page and it's best if all three pools are filled in. If you only have two pools, maybe one has a different connection you can use as a backup. An example: You use west-01.miningpool.com as pool 1, a different pool for pool 2, and pool 3 instead of being empty, might be east-01.miningpool.com

What is happening now, if your pools seem to be down, you are mining for someone else. Get rid of that third pool listing that is not yours. Leave it empty if you have nothing else.

I only using 1 pool and what advice me will use 2 pool ?  What will happens ? Good is that i will use 2 pool ?

The reason to have a second pool is in-case the first pool goes down.  If you add it it's going to be a failover pool.  If first pool goes down it switches to second pool, same with third.

Yes it is good to have them set up incase.
soy
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 03:47:38 PM

I tried the image button but get an invalid image type.  Let me know if there's a view problem as I might need to change share settings.

I've tried this board with two S3+ controller boards.  Anyone know if an S3 controller will be harmed or do harm with an S3+ board?
ToQcHista

ToQcHista

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 03:58:45 PM

what is this ? Needed?

The reason to have a second pool is in-case the first pool goes down.  If you add it it's going to be a failover pool.  If first pool goes down it switches to second pool, same with third.

Yes it is good to have them set up incase.

I guess .  thanks

soy
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 04:23:16 PM
Last edit: April 21, 2015, 05:15:25 PM by soy

I tried the image button but get an invalid image type.  Let me know if there's a view problem as I might need to change share settings.

I've tried this board with two S3+ controller boards.  Anyone know if an S3 controller will be harmed or do harm with an S3+ board?

Here's an odd bit.  On the S3 boards from memory there are at least a couple of 12v test points that if I remember correctly are common with 12v in.  On this version board I see only a single 12v test point and it doesn't appear to be common with 12v in however I do see voltage on the board.

Opening up the machine to compare with the other board now.

Odd.  The second working board has no continuity between the 12v test point and 12v in nor any pin on the ribbon cable connector.  Firing the board up, hashes well and no voltage showing at the test point so the test point is dead on both boards.

------------------

Dead crystal would explain it.  Changed crystals on USB miners in the past but looking at the two nearby smt resistors, I suspect that if the crystal is heated enough to remove the resistors will blow away.
ToQcHista

ToQcHista

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 04:49:27 PM

S3 in mining status what is gh\s  (avg)  ? What is avg ?

soy
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 05:54:23 PM
Last edit: April 21, 2015, 06:39:46 PM by soy

I tried the image button but get an invalid image type.  Let me know if there's a view problem as I might need to change share settings.

I've tried this board with two S3+ controller boards.  Anyone know if an S3 controller will be harmed or do harm with an S3+ board?

Here's an odd bit.  On the S3 boards from memory there are at least a couple of 12v test points that if I remember correctly are common with 12v in.  On this version board I see only a single 12v test point and it doesn't appear to be common with 12v in however I do see voltage on the board.

Opening up the machine to compare with the other board now.

Odd.  The second working board has no continuity between the 12v test point and 12v in nor any pin on the ribbon cable connector.  Firing the board up, hashes well and no voltage showing at the test point so the test point is dead on both boards.

------------------

Dead crystal would explain it.  Changed crystals on USB miners in the past but looking at the two nearby smt resistors, I suspect that if the crystal is heated enough to remove the resistors will blow away.

That seems to be it.  The bad board generates no heat when powered up.  Dragging out my old Tektronics 475,  with an uncalibrated probe (adjusted with the time VAR on the calibrator at 1khz) I get 27MHz from the crystal's TP11 and putting the VAR back it give me 20MHz so I go to the bad board and there's no oscillation.

-----------------------

Nope, got it wrong.  I had looked for the 25MHz while the bad board was on the bench.  Putting the bad board back into the miner and giving it the ribbon cable then looking again I get a booming signal.  So, that's not it.

Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 11:42:17 PM

S3 in mining status what is gh\s  (avg)  ? What is avg ?

S3+ should see about 450 gh/s at factory freq/volt.  S3 is slightly lower.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 01:12:29 AM

S3 in mining status what is gh\s  (avg)  ? What is avg ?

S3+ should see about 450 gh/s at factory freq/volt.  S3 is slightly lower.

I think ToQ has a regular S3 so I would say around 440 gh/s depending on which batch.  Batch 1 had some that ran a little slower but they sent some money back because of it.
luthermarcus

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 02:34:43 AM

Anyone know of any modded firmware or mods to S3.

Donate Bitcoin
1Mz7ZHxPhoH1ZK2yQvo62NdHvvsS2quhzc
Donate TRX
TB3WiLEj6iuSBU5tGUKyZkjB4vqrBDvoYM
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 02:58:21 AM

Only thing I know of a mod to get nicehash to have extranonoce .

https://www.nicehash.com/?p=software

Keep in mind firmware is not official, meaning it breaks warranty.
luthermarcus

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 03:44:41 AM

Got it  it comes with an upgrade to cgminer but im still trying to figure it out i dont see a benifit from it as of yet.

Donate Bitcoin
Donate TRX
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 03:49:41 AM

Got it  it comes with an upgrade to cgminer but im still trying to figure it out i dont see a benifit from it as of yet.

It allows for extranonoce which allows for best speed on nicehash.

If you run without this most likely you will lose some speed.  This biggest benefit are for those that use nicehash/westhash.  That is why they made this firmware available.

Again though it is not a official firmware for bitmain.  So you void your warranty. 
no141

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 04:40:22 AM

If you run without this most likely you will lose some speed.  This biggest benefit are for those that use nicehash/westhash.  That is why they made this firmware available.

Again though it is not a official firmware for bitmain.  So you void your warranty. 

It's not firmware, it's software. The download for the S3 on nicehash is only cgminer. You simply rename the old cgminer, scp the new one, and you are in business. If you have trouble, it's only software related and would not void the warranty. You could always just ssh in and delete the new one and rename the old one and no one would ever know.

luthermarcus

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 04:54:24 AM

It's not firmware, it's software. The download for the S3 on nicehash is only cgminer. You simply rename the old cgminer, scp the new one, and you are in business. If you have trouble, it's only software related and would not void the warranty. You could always just ssh in and delete the new one and rename the old one and no one would ever know.

That's what i did with putty it's on there but i dont see and increase in hash. I thought you could use that cg miner to play with it like you could on your pc but only found limited info on that and it's related to the s4. I'm also looking how to flash fcg miner with stock fan they have on there site but the instructions are not included like it says on there site. even after unzipping. Dont want to brick my s4 so I'm waiting till i figure out more about it. It's sad that they stop upgrading there software.

Donate Bitcoin
Donate TRX
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 05:01:40 AM

I appolgize it is a binary, I assumed firmware like the C1, S4, S5.  But appears that is not it.

I would still check with Bitmain on warranty.  The firmware loses warranty if you use it, it was not approved by bitmain on other models.  I have not checked on changing cgminer from binaries but if you are worried about warranty check before using.
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 05:58:08 AM

That's what i did with putty it's on there but i dont see and increase in hash.

Dumb/obvious question, but did you follow their tips https://www.westhash.com/index.jsp?p=asic besides just swapping cgminer?
aarons6
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 08:44:45 AM

what do you expect?
Pages: « 1 ... 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 [468] 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 »
  Print  

Jump to: