Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 03:04:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 [1289] 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][BURST] Burst | Efficient HDD Mining | New 1.2.3 Fork block 92000  (Read 2170603 times)
alzander

Activity: 143
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 04:19:59 PM

As a Proof of Capacity miner whats your opinion an Burst's mining algorithm? Is it a viable form of Proof of Work to be a serious competitor to BTC?

I also heard about Bittorrent creator Bram Cohen will start developing his own altcoin using a mining algorithm called Proof of time and space. Theres not much to read about it right now but its also going to use hard drives for mining. Maybe the Burst developers should reach out to him.
PoC works. That's all that really matters. It's just a different way of coming up with a very specific hash to validate a block of records. Instead of going insanely fast and generating hashes as quickly as possible, PoC pre-generates all the hashes on your hard drive and then has to scan through them to see if your hash is the magic hash to lock the block. The PoC algorithm is created in such a way that it can't be done extremely quick (it can take hours to fill a terrabyte), so there's not much of a way to get around the capacity part.. you have to fill the drive and then scan all those TBs of hashes quickly in the ~4 minute block period.. much less energy consuming after the hashes are created.

I really like innovations like that in the mining world. It all becomes an arms race though.. CPU power, hd space, staking, even 'time'.. but at least you get to pick which method suits you more based on your available hardware, electric costs, etc.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━  ColossusCoinXT  ━━━━━━━━━━━━━
▰▰  Extremely Resource Friendly ━  Lightning Fast  ━ Stealth Anonymous  ▰▰
▰▰▰▰  TwitterDiscordBitcointalk  ▰▰▰▰
BroganBloodstone

Activity: 322
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 04:27:38 PM

Is Burst still bursting with optimism or has the bubble already burst? Grin

I bought some near the peak prices and I thought it would make the fast climb going to BTC.00001 for an easy 2.5x return. Now I am in the red. Would you buy more if you were in my place or should I leave it and be patient?

I think .00001 is still a little lofty for the short term. However, the updates and plans coming out of the new core team are definitely big positives and pushing things in the right direction. Total supply 2.2B coins and we're at 1.8B now, so mining rewards are becoming less and less. New developments and roadmap are what are going to drive things for Burst. A few months ago, things were pretty bleak on all fronts (not even counting the spam attack), but I think things are definitely turning up now.

For me, I'm a miner and a timid buyer under 250 sats and aggressive buyer under 200.

As a Proof of Capacity miner whats your opinion an Burst's mining algorithm? Is it a viable form of Proof of Work to be a serious competitor to BTC?

I also heard about Bittorrent creator Bram Cohen will start developing his own altcoin using a mining algorithm called Proof of time and space. Theres not much to read about it right now but its also going to use hard drives for mining. Maybe the Burst developers should reach out to him.

I highly doubt he would want to work with anyone in the burst community. He will definitely be looking to make something himself/his team. Better that way too, too much drama here.

Though things have improved a bit the past month. Hopefully they will continue to improve.
pinkflower

Activity: 868
Merit: 259

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 03:13:19 AM

Why not? Burst is an open source project, and Bram Cohen is an open source developer who wants to disrupt the established order. He is doing it with Bittorrent right now.

Im sure a peer review of the code from him will be apprecitated by the Burst community and the developers.
BroganBloodstone

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 07:30:41 AM

Why not? Burst is an open source project, and Bram Cohen is an open source developer who wants to disrupt the established order. He is doing it with Bittorrent right now.

Im sure a peer review of the code from him will be apprecitated by the Burst community and the developers.

He recently released a paper, which seems to be one part of whatever they are working on. Lots of people from Burst were quick to slam it.
pinkflower

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 06:58:41 AM

He recently released a paper, which seems to be one part of whatever they are working on. Lots of people from Burst were quick to slam it.

Where were they slamming Bram Cohen? I looked for it in Burst's subreddit but I couldnt find it. Maybe theres only a small faction from the Burst community who couldnt accept that theres a better impelentation of Proof of Capacity out there. What about the developers, what did they say?
BroganBloodstone

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 07:09:46 AM

Where were they slamming Bram Cohen? I looked for it in Burst's subreddit but I couldnt find it. Maybe theres only a small faction from the Burst community who couldnt accept that theres a better impelentation of Proof of Capacity out there. What about the developers, what did they say?

Look at the comments on this article:

https://www.coindesk.com/proof-of-space-bittorrent-creator-publishes-eco-friendly-mining-paper/
pinkflower

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 03:43:11 AM

Those comments slamming Bram Cohen came from the members of the Burst community who got salty because Burst wasnt given any credit for being the first coin to use Proof of Capacity. Thats fair. But what was the reason why he chose to ignore Burst? It would be very impossible for him not to know about it.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 03:17:33 PM

Why would it be impossible for him to know about BURST prior to that "white paper" of his?

On the other hand, if he DID know about BURST prior to publishing his "white paper" then he's little more than a ripoff.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
pinkflower

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 03:47:20 AM

Why would it be impossible for him to know about BURST prior to that "white paper" of his?

On the other hand, if he DID know about BURST prior to publishing his "white paper" then he's little more than a ripoff.

Im sure he did but it was maybe good that he didnt mention anything about Burst if he didnt have anything good to say about it. There were some developers who said that Burst's Proof of Capacity algorithm is broken to the core. Maybe its better to give the PoCC more time to fix the core problems before marketing the project again.
rico666
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1037

฿ → ∞

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2017, 06:39:35 AM

Im sure he did but it was maybe good that he didnt mention anything about Burst if he didnt have anything good to say about it. There were some developers who said that Burst's Proof of Capacity algorithm is broken to the core. Maybe its better to give the PoCC more time to fix the core problems before marketing the project again.

There were people who said the world will end September, 23rd 2017.

Could you please name at least two developers who "said that Burst's Proof of Capacity algorithm is broken to the core"?

I would like to get this out of the way before I point out the - roughly - 50 errors you and your chat pingpong partners were able to spill in the last 5 messages or so.

all non self-referential signatures except mine are lame ... oh wait ...   ·  LBC Thread (News)  ·  Past BURST Activities
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 07:09:50 PM

He's likely talking about comments made by crowtec (sp?) shortly before they dropped out of BURST.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
yo-blin
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1057

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 07:50:30 PM

Some people say - "It's broken" for low buy

__mmW████████mms_
            ,gW███████████████████Ws_
          gW█████████████████████████Ws.
        g███████████████████████████████s
      ,W█████████████████████████████████W.
     i████~*█████████████████████████A~████s
    i█████  '*█████████████████████A`  █████s
   ,██████    'M█████████████████A~    ██████i
   d██████      'M█████████████A~      ██████W
   ███████        'M█████████A~        ███████.
   ███████          'M█████A~          ███████[
   ███████     W_     'M█Af     ,W     ███████[
   ███████     ██W_     ~     ,W██     ███████`
   Y██████     ████W_       ,W████     ██████A
   '▀▀▀▀▀▀     ██████W.   ,m██████     ▀▀▀▀▀▀`
               ████████W_m████████
               ███████████████████.
      V███████████████████████████████████f
       '*███████████████████████████████A`
         '*███████████████████████████*`
            ~*█████████████████████*f`
               ~~*█████████████*f~
                      ~~~~~

Monero (XMR)
ДOБPO ПOЖAЛOBATЬ B PУCCКOЯЗЫЧHOE COOБЩECTBO
.фopyм..telegram..youtube.

.DON'T BUY MONERO,.
.IT'S BAD FOR BANKS...

Sign for rent, COБИPAЮ MERIT! Smiley

NVC: 4YoBLincaRdAEG4v8tbZ4T26ZnKbT9SBsu
AdamCox9

Activity: 145
Merit: 112

To the moon!

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2017, 01:22:19 AM

Earn 2 Burstcoin with this new faucet that let's your browser do the work: http://www.nickelbot.com/

Buy Bitcoin!
pinkflower

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 03:41:02 AM

He's likely talking about comments made by crowtec (sp?) shortly before they dropped out of BURST.

Yeah this. What happened there and why did they drop out of Burst?

Rico, yes please do enlighten us. I know I may have made some mistakes in my comments but I would welcome be thankful of any comments that would correct those mistakes.

It would also be to the benefit of the people who come to the thread. Ty.
AdamCox9

Activity: 145
Merit: 112

To the moon!

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2017, 03:45:14 AM

I'm sure the storage space would be growing much faster if it was broken. I've seen no published proof that it is broken.

Buy Bitcoin!
rico666
Legendary

฿ → ∞

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2017, 07:04:48 AM

Yeah this. What happened there and why did they drop out of Burst?
Rico, yes please do enlighten us. I know I may have made some mistakes in my comments but I would welcome be thankful of any comments that would correct those mistakes.
It would also be to the benefit of the people who come to the thread. Ty.

Certainly you refer to this exit post from crowetic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1323657.msg19868944#msg19868944

So to make some things clear:

• Crowetic is no developer and has never been. I do not say this to discredit him in any way, it's a simple fact he also stated himself many times. He was sysadmin and he had (maybe paid) developers to look into things. So I would see him as kind of "facilitator", but not developer.
  • He is one man. So when you said "There were some developers who said..." you have blown things out of proportion. No developer and not plural.
  • Even Crowetic stated - and I quote: "I fully believe the algo is able to be exploited". Now while this shows a strong belief, it is nothing else than that: a belief.

Crowetic believed many other things in his "Exit post", which were partially true (like the network not being able to handle the max num of transactions without forking at the time of his post) and some which were not true because as a non-dev he had not enough insight into these matters.

Again, I would like to state that all of this is in no way meant to discredit him. It's only meant as a clarification, so that "Word of mouth" doesn't start to skew the facts more and more.

There were no developers, not even a single one who said that BURST is broken to the core. There was one non-dev guy who said he believes that.

Ok?

Now he also said he does believe some other things, which have proven to be untrue. Like BURST could only be repaired when written anew "from scratch up" and the similar.
That was provably untrue, because BURST today has already rock solid wallets/nodes - if you happen to use the right version.
https://explore.burst.cryptoguru.org/tool/observe (the number of valid nodes was somewhere in the single-digit percentage when Crowetic wrote his post)

If you look at the changes necessary to make BURST stable and being able to cope with max-TXs capacity, it was not that much. You just had to know/find where to apply your patch.

Nevertheless, in the meantime much more work happened on the BURST core. We actually started to make fundamental changes - which Crowetic also called for - to the code base to make it fit for future requirements. So the situation is not like "Maybe its better to give the PoCC more time to fix the core problems..."

The situation is much more such, that the PoCC and the remaining core devs have already fixed the problems that plagued BURST in July and are now already en route to implement things Crowetic wouldn't even have hoped for 3 months ago. Like DB independece, multiple DB backends which did require significant changes to the underlying infrastructure.

We are running a permanent TestNet and the wallet there is - intentionally - beaten rigorously. Because of this we have fixed errors and problems Crowetic (and others) weren't even aware of!
As problems of stability become a thing of the past, new paths open up for developing functionality and infrastructure. We are entering the "age of emancipation", where the BURST code base starts to be better in certain aspects than the original (and present) NXT code base. And this trend will continue - as we did already announce in our 1st announcement

We will change this and we will change it fast, because
even NXT has not the development capacities we are bringing to the
table right now.

Is there much work to do? YES! Is some magic ultra-rocket science needed? NO! Just plain old good software engineering, done by people with the skills, experience and dedication.

That's all it takes for now.

Of course, we do have some magic ultra-rocket science available when needed.  Wink

all non self-referential signatures except mine are lame ... oh wait ...   ·  LBC Thread (News)  ·  Past BURST Activities
pinkflower

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 12:38:38 AM

Rico666, thank you so much for the thorough explanation and for the whole backstory on Crowetic. That explains so much. Anyway, is there a new implementation besides the one written in Java? Compatibility is nice but the wallet is slow, dont you think?
syclone

Activity: 755
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 12:44:53 AM

I used to own some BURST.... will have to look back into it and see if any active developments are taking place.  It's been a while.
rico666
Legendary

฿ → ∞

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2017, 07:21:32 AM

I used to own some BURST.... will have to look back into it and see if any active developments are taking place.  It's been a while.

Wallet active development: https://github.com/ac0v/burstcoin
More announcements: https://forums.getburst.net/c/burst-community-announcements (other projects)
or click the link "BURST Activities" in my sig.

Rico666, thank you so much for the thorough explanation and for the whole backstory on Crowetic. That explains so much. Anyway, is there a new implementation besides the one written in Java? Compatibility is nice but the wallet is slow, dont you think?

If by slow you mean "slow resync time", that the wallet needs some time to resync with the network (last I heard was 12 hours from block 0), then yes, it could be faster and - spoiler alert - it will be faster in 1.3.6cg. You can alleviate the 100% CPU usage if you have a GPU and let that help out. Then it'll be a little faster and your CPU load will be low (while the GPU will show load only intermittently).

Other than that, the wallet is actually pretty fast for continuous operation. At the moment we will focus on the JAVA implementation, not because we like it, but because we actually got it to a point where it makes sense to build upon that rather than to throw it all away. If some enthusiastic young programmer comes along and wants to re-implement it in Rust, Go or whatever, we will not stop him.  Wink

pinkflower

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 02:51:33 AM

Rico666, coding in Haskell is also a hot topic for some group of developers who work on cryptocurrencies. I found this video on Youtube while browsing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjyiOXRuUdo

I also found this thread about starting a new Proof of Capacity chain in Burst's Reddit that might be of interest to you, or not, but it could start a good discussion on the topic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/burstcoin/comments/72oql0/would_it_be_a_good_idea_if_the_pocc_started_a_new/

According to him, copying NXT's strategy with Ardor by starting another blockchain project can be a better way than continuing on with the development of Burst. Do you agree?

Pages: « 1 ... 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 [1289] 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 »
  Print  

Jump to: