I've been busy packaging a very compact and stable Cameyo-based build of the Electrum thin client! Then I went a step further and removed ALL non-required Python modules and repackaged the rest using high compression.
Also, the following features cannot be found in other existing Electrum builds for Windows:
- full command-line
- no installation needed: just download and run!
- highly optimized size and reduced attack surface: a huge number of unneeded executable files are excluded to achieve a lean and robust build
- includes the latest Python runtime security updates
- no need to pre-install Python, PyQt, ecdsa, or anything else:
It's all in there,
- each build is pre-scanned by VirusTotal
- hi-res icons
- no flickering at startup
- no admin privileges needed
- can work as a fully portable app (support for -w switch!)
- I also do a quick manual audit of the code changes that go into each new build
Get the latest Windows stand-alone build (built straight from the Electrum source tree on GitHub) from my website:
EXE and SHA1: http://dre.natverk.org/elecwin.htm
The resulting standalone executable is just 5.9MB.
Compare with the default Cameyo 40-45MB bloated packages!!
Please let me know if any packaging-related quirks.
If there's enough interest, I can provide Win32 builds on a regular basis. Just a way of contributing to the community.
Why should you trust me? Well you don't have to. The full Python source code for each release can be examined in the %AppData%\Electrum_SysFiles directory and compared (using diff) with the official Electrum source tree for verification. The only changes I make are GUI-related, to give the app a more polished feel on Windows.