Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:42:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Investment fund] Gamma Bitcoin Fund [Closed]  (Read 84190 times)
labestiol

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 05:20:12 PM

First i would say that i really don't think you're a ponzi. You are most likely an investment fund. So what i want to say is not at all a way to accuse you of running a ponzi.
I also would like to disclose that i'm not an investor, nor do I plan to, nor do I have any interest to spread fud.
But this sentence is a bit worrying to me :

Wouldn't it be better to allow for new investors again instead of shutting down withdrawals? Huh
New investors are currently open due to the many withdraws and yes that would be the most optimal way to do it, but unfortunately the amount of new investors are lower then the amount of old investors leaving.
//DeaDTerra

This mechanism (being able to pay for withdraws with money from fresh investors) IS what a ponzi is all about. Lots of ponzi schemes are investment schemes turned bad.
I understand that your fund is being affected by the recent BTCUSD move, it's normal. Most of glbse assets (for example mining bonds) are shorts BTC, long the assets of the issuer.
So my question would be what will you do if the market keep on going against you ? Will you keep on waiting ?  

To me you should ALWAYS allow withdraws, but you should find a mechanism were people who withdraw take some part of the loss.
Hope everything will turn out ok for your fund and your investors.

1BestioLC7YBVh8Q5LfH6RYURD6MrpP8y6
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeaDTerra (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 06:03:33 PM

First i would say that i really don't think you're a ponzi. You are most likely an investment fund. So what i want to say is not at all a way to accuse you of running a ponzi.
I also would like to disclose that i'm not an investor, nor do I plan to, nor do I have any interest to spread fud.
But this sentence is a bit worrying to me :

Wouldn't it be better to allow for new investors again instead of shutting down withdrawals? Huh
New investors are currently open due to the many withdraws and yes that would be the most optimal way to do it, but unfortunately the amount of new investors are lower then the amount of old investors leaving.
//DeaDTerra

This mechanism (being able to pay for withdraws with money from fresh investors) IS what a ponzi is all about. Lots of ponzi schemes are investment schemes turned bad.
I understand that your fund is being affected by the recent BTCUSD move, it's normal. Most of glbse assets (for example mining bonds) are shorts BTC, long the assets of the issuer.
So my question would be what will you do if the market keep on going against you ? Will you keep on waiting ?  

To me you should ALWAYS allow withdraws, but you should find a mechanism were people who withdraw take some part of the loss.
Hope everything will turn out ok for your fund and your investors.
Okay let me explain a bit better Smiley
First of all quoting one sentence doesn't really explain the whole situation.
The reason why I am shutting down withdraws are not because I can't pay it out with the depositors money, but because I can't liquidate fast enough. Usually I keep a 500-1000 BTC in liquid btc in the trading bots and on the different exchanges. I use this buffer to buy shares and to pay withdraws. But when people withdraw faster then I can liquidate asset to refill this buffer then we get problems. This causes problems as it makes me incapable of manual trading and margin/flip trading. Which is one of our edges against only long holding funds. Also this prohibits us from bulk orders and such which is our edge against individual small investors.

Hence I decided to freeze the withdraws, long enough for me to liquidate enough on GLBSE to cover most of the withdraws and leave us with a big enough buffer. The root of the problem is the bad liquidity on GLBSE and our way to high exposure to it.
I hope that kind of answers your question?
//DeaDTerra
LoweryCBS

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

firstbits 1LoCBS

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 06:14:16 PM

I also would like to disclose that i'm not an investor, nor do I plan to...

Then, as an investor, I'd like to disclose that I didn't ask for your input, nor do I plan to. Get lost.

DeaDTerra, don't feed the trolls.
DeaDTerra (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 06:19:56 PM

I also would like to disclose that i'm not an investor, nor do I plan to...

Then, as an investor, I'd like to disclose that I didn't ask for your input, nor do I plan to. Get lost.

DeaDTerra, don't feed the trolls.

It's fine, I like people questioning my logical and thought as long as they don't judge. To discuss and talk about is fine to judge and accuse now that's when it turns into a ponzi witch hunt.
//DeaDTerra
DeaDTerra (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 08:44:45 PM

Hello guys Smiley
This week the profit landed at -0.413 which I think is still pretty good taking into consideration that the price has increased by 12% since the start of the week.
We have done some nice deals this week, liquidation trades with Usagi, purchase of GIPPT shares and a bulk order from ASICMINER, which hopefully will result in some nice profit as time goes on.
Full report will be given out tomorrow.

I am seen mqrius or BTCurious as he's know by on the forums, tomorrow. As he's on holiday in Sweden and is taking a trip up to Stockholm Smiley
If anyone else that lives close to Stockholm wants to arrange a meeting with me please do, it's always fun to put faces on the names on the forums.
//DeaDTerra
labestiol

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 03:08:33 AM
Last edit: August 13, 2012, 08:05:17 AM by labestiol

The reason why I am shutting down withdraws are not because I can't pay it out with the depositors money, but because I can't liquidate fast enough. Usually I keep a 500-1000 BTC in liquid btc in the trading bots and on the different exchanges. I use this buffer to buy shares and to pay withdraws. But when people withdraw faster then I can liquidate asset to refill this buffer then we get problems. This causes problems as it makes me incapable of manual trading and margin/flip trading. Which is one of our edges against only long holding funds. Also this prohibits us from bulk orders and such which is our edge against individual small investors.

Hence I decided to freeze the withdraws, long enough for me to liquidate enough on GLBSE to cover most of the withdraws and leave us with a big enough buffer. The root of the problem is the bad liquidity on GLBSE and our way to high exposure to it.
//DeaDTerra

Be sure i wasn't trolling, only asking you about your strategy if things turns bad. Of course liquidity can be a problem on GLBSE, just not sure it's the only problem.
Wish you and your investors the best

DeaDTerra (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 08:55:50 AM

//DeaDTerra

Be sure i wasn't trolling, only asking you about your strategy if things turns bad. Of course liquidity can be a problem on GLBSE, just not sure it's the only problem.
You are hinting on another problem, please speak you mind.
//DeaDTerra
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 09:50:12 AM

//DeaDTerra

I wonder why you are asking questions when you dont have a dog in the hunt.

labestiol

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 10:38:03 AM

//DeaDTerra

//DeaDTerra

Basically being bullish on BTC makes me bearish on most glbse assets. Was just wondering how much of a loss can you accept.
Anyway, bitcoin.me is right, i don't have any reason to keep on bothering you, so i won't.

DeaDTerra (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 10:40:04 AM

//DeaDTerra

//DeaDTerra

Basically being bullish on BTC makes me bearish on most glbse assets. Was just wondering how much of a loss can you accept.
Anyway, bitcoin.me is right, i don't have any reason to keep on bothering you, so i won't.

Indeed our heavy investment on GLBSE makes the fund bearish, this is something I have mentioned several times and am aware of. I am currently working on liquidating and reducing out GLBSE exposure as well as hedge against the price increase Smiley
If you want to ask questions please do. I have nothing against it.
//DeaDTerra
DeaDTerra (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 08:40:56 PM

hello!
a little update Smiley
I meet BTCurious or Mqrius in Stockholm today we had a lot of fun chilling and hanging out. So I am sure he can now confirm my real ID, hopefully this will lead to a better trust with the investors. I am also open to meet any investor that wants to meet me, if you have your way around in Stockholm then sure Cheesy

On another note, I have gotten a lot of withdraw request, I currently have about 7 of them for a total of over 1000 Bitcoins. I am starting to get a bit annoyed of the nagging that's going on. I know it's frustrating having your funds locked down, but I am doing my best to liquidate as much as possible. I will keep the amount I need for normal business for the fund and enough to not disturb the investments of the fund. Any excess will be sent out each weekend, This will keep going until all the withdraws have been sent out and I am more comfortable with the liquidity of the fund.
Really sorry about this, but it is the way things must go to keep the fund from getting even worse performance due to low amounts of liquid btc.

//DeaDTerra
LoweryCBS

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

firstbits 1LoCBS

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 08:58:32 PM

Really sorry about this, but it is the way things must go to keep the fund from getting even worse performance due to low amounts of liquid btc.

That's the correct action to protect your investors.

If someone wishes to withdraw funds, they must either (1) wait on liquid BTC to come available, or (2) bear the the losses incurred by liquidating assets to cover their withdrawal.

To do anything else would be unfair to your loyal investors.

You aren't running a bank; you haven't offered demand-deposit accounts. This is an investment fund.

unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 08:59:47 PM

+1

Take the time you need to hedge your investments
OneEyed
aka aurele

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 09:06:28 PM

If someone wishes to withdraw funds, they must either (1) wait on liquid BTC to come available, or (2) bear the the losses incurred by liquidating assets to cover their withdrawal.

You aren't running a bank; you haven't offered demand-deposit accounts. This is an investment fund.

As someone who hasn't requested a withdraw (even though I have had negative returns since I invested so far), I tend to agree with that.

However, the second post of this thread is misleading, as you write (and haven't modified it) that withdrawals are processed at the end of each week. Maybe you should make things clearer there too, even if I understand that people can get frustrated or angry when the rules are altered by the fund manager without prior warning.

DeaDTerra (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 09:12:35 PM

As someone who hasn't requested a withdraw (even though I have had negative returns since I invested so far), I tend to agree with that.

However, the second post of this thread is misleading, as you write (and haven't modified it) that withdrawals are processed at the end of each week. Maybe you should make things clearer there too, even if I understand that people can get frustrated or angry when the rules are altered by the fund manager without prior warning.
Thank you for pointing that out Smiley
I should obviously have changed that, it's done now Smiley
I get why people are frustrated and angry, but I can't do anything about it. The situation is as it is sorry, I try to provide as good of a service as possible, but I can send out withdraws if the other investors will have to take the hit for that liquidation.
//DeaDTerra
DeaDTerra (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 09:37:54 PM

So who's going to London for the Bitcoin Conference? Cheesy
anyone feel like meeting up?
I have already planned to meet up with BTCurious and a couple of others.
//DeaDTerra
cst

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

The Cosmos doesn't care about you.

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 09:42:17 PM

//DeaDTerra

I'm going and would definitely like to meet the manager of my investment fund  Grin
DeaDTerra (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 09:45:59 PM

//DeaDTerra

I'm going and would definitely like to meet the manager of my investment fund  Grin
Sure, I will probably be pretty public of who I am and such, I was thinking of maybe posting if I go and eat with some friends somewhere, so that anyone that wants to join in can Smiley
Otherwise I am sure that if you want to find me you can, If you want my number then that can be arranged Wink
//DeaDTerra
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 09:54:12 PM

If people want to withdraw they should take the hit not the remaining investors.

Dr.Steve

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 09:13:27 PM

I am in agreement with bitcoin.me.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »
  Print  

Jump to: