Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:24:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Ubuntu Natty Narwhal 11.04 Mining Guide / HOWTO  (Read 281370 times)
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 04:17:52 AM

Okay I finally got everything to work.

When I do ./poclmb.py -o btcguild.com -u (username_user) --pass=(password) -p 8332 -d 1, it gives me problem connecting with bitcoin error. It'll stay there for about a minute, then it'll start mining. But then 5 seconds after that, it'll say "verification failed, check hardware!"

Help!! So close!!

Okay in this thread you have originally asked questions relating to solo mining and then the command you put here is trying to connect to a pool.

Do you know which it is that you are trying to do, solo mining or pool mining?

If pool then you shouldn't be running bitcoin -server (it will conflict on 8332) and indeed, do not need to be running any instance of bitcoin whatsoever ....

"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
IlbiStarz

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 04:24:34 AM

Really? I didn't mention solo. Anyways, I'm trying to do pool right now, hence the -server.
I think I got it...the only problem is is that poclmb won't see my other 2 video cards.

And is there any way to write a batch file type thing to run poclbm on all 4 cards instead of having to type it out on terminal?
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 04:30:47 AM

Really? I didn't mention solo. Anyways, I'm trying to do pool right now, hence the -server.
I think I got it...the only problem is is that poclmb won't see my other 2 video cards.

And is there any way to write a batch file type thing to run poclbm on all 4 cards instead of having to type it out on terminal?

No, you didn't mention solo ... BUT the only reason you'd need the bitcoin -server locally for a mining set-up is if you were solo mining ....

IlbiStarz

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 04:37:10 AM

Oh..didn't know. So pooled mining you don't have to start bitocin with -server?

Poclbm is working on my 2 5850's, but the 2 6870's are not showing up on poclbm when I enter start it without anything. How do I get the recognized?
IlbiStarz

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 05:17:45 AM
Last edit: May 29, 2011, 06:56:20 AM by IlbiStarz

Is there a way to rewrite the op instructions for sdk 2.4? I think that would solve my problem.
I tried doing it using AMD-APP...etc and renamed the two files in OpenCL, but then poclbm wouldn't even start, gave me an error.
darbsllim

Activity: 297
Merit: 251

Founder, Filmmaker, Fun Guy

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 07:55:52 AM

I've been at this for about 4 hours.

THIS GUIDE NEEDS TO BE REWRITTEN!

For the 32 bit version, it's got all the wrong file path names and commands strewn throughout - for a Ubuntu newb like me I want to smash my screen.

Now I got it semi working, but when I run poclbm it only displays my CPU, not my graphics cards.

How do I get the gpus to show?

Brad Mills,
Investor - Former miner - Former Bitcoin Business Owner - Survivor of the Great Bitcoin Crashes of 2011 and 2012, the MtGox Heist of 2014 & the 2017 crypto bubble.
Bitrated user: bradmillscan.
ryepdx

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 08:22:32 AM

If you're running the 2.1 version of the SDK, then your GPUs may not be supported. I haven't actually set up a miner with 2.4 yet, but I know 2.3 supports all the current ATI GPUs up to the 6990s. To update your SDK, change all the references to 2.1 that you added to your .bashrc to 2.3, then remove the 2.1 SDK folder, replace it with the 2.3 SDK, and rebuild pyopencl.

If you really want a clean start, you can reinstall Ubuntu and then run these scripts I threw together.

http://ryepdx.com/bitcoin/prep_up.sh
http://ryepdx.com/bitcoin/up_all.sh

Your computer will reboot after running prep_up.sh. If you don't like that, remove the "sudo reboot" command at the end of the file.
Inaba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2011, 02:57:32 PM

I've been at this for about 4 hours.

THIS GUIDE NEEDS TO BE REWRITTEN!

For the 32 bit version, it's got all the wrong file path names and commands strewn throughout - for a Ubuntu newb like me I want to smash my screen.

Now I got it semi working, but when I run poclbm it only displays my CPU, not my graphics cards.

Can you be a little more specific?  What commands and pathnames are incorrect?

Why is anyone running the 32 bit version anyway?  Are you all really trying to run that old of a CPU that it doesn't have 64bit support?  That's cool if you are, but I didn't expect anyone to be sporting a decade old CPU with mining.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
IlbiStarz

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 08:12:24 PM

Is there a voltage command through terminal?
MiningBuddy

Activity: 927

฿itcoin ฿itcoin ฿itcoin

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 09:16:13 PM

Is there a voltage command through terminal?
Aticonfig doesn't support voltage modification as far as I know.
I use AMDOverdriveCtrl instead.

IlbiStarz

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 09:40:19 PM

Downloaded it through the software center...how do I start it o.o
IlbiStarz

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 09:45:57 PM

Nvm got it.
It says you can only use powertune for 6xxx cards Sad
IlbiStarz

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 09:51:04 PM

Will 6870+6990 work if I use 2.4? And will they run on a 850w?
SchizophrenicX

Activity: 112

"I'm not psychic; I'm just damn good"

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 02:44:14 AM

I keep having problems communicating with bitcoin RPC via poclbm (not sure how to use pheonix) can someone give me a hand on this? Also, what does the flag -f# does? Higher number gives higher priority? or what?

I agree that this guide has gotta be re-written. Theres too much errors on it, especially on the x86 parts.

Just one more thing, I've never really experienced with clocking stuff, so I need some brief explaination to

1. Underclocking Memory
2. Undervolting - ??

IlbiStarz

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 05:04:10 AM

I keep having problems communicating with bitcoin RPC via poclbm (not sure how to use pheonix) can someone give me a hand on this? Also, what does the flag -f# does? Higher number gives higher priority? or what?

I agree that this guide has gotta be re-written. Theres too much errors on it, especially on the x86 parts.

Just one more thing, I've never really experienced with clocking stuff, so I need some brief explaination to

1. Underclocking Memory
2. Undervolting - ??

-f increases frames every second or something like that. Increase it if you want less desktop lag. People usually use -f 1 for pure mining rigs.

1. Well if you are in linux, there's no real solution right now except for changing the bios, and you have to use Windows for that. Guide : http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=9569.0
2. Same thing with overvolting, I think..

Basically, any big under/overclocking has to go through a bios change for linux. Depending what card you have, there will be limits of how much core and memory can go. Asus is the best, can go up to 1000core i think. (5850's) However, underclocking/volting is harder because all the cards have a high lower bound.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 05:16:27 AM

1. Underclocking Memory
2. Undervolting - ??

-f increases frames every second or something like that. Increase it if you want less desktop lag. People usually use -f 1 for pure mining rigs.

1. Well if you are in linux, there's no real solution right now except for changing the bios, and you have to use Windows for that. Guide : http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=9569.0

Basically, any big under/overclocking has to go through a bios change for linux. Depending what card you have, there will be limits of how much core and memory can go. Asus is the best, can go up to 1000core i think. (5850's) However, underclocking/volting is harder because all the cards have a high lower bound.

You are wrong about 1). The memory can be underclocked in linux without modifying the bios. Read the forum threads titled the same.

IlbiStarz

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 06:06:44 AM

1. Underclocking Memory
2. Undervolting - ??

You are wrong about 1). The memory can be underclocked in linux without modifying the bios. Read the forum threads titled the same.

Yes but not much. If you are going to underclock to the "sweet spot" to raise hashing, you have to modify bios. Lowering the memory just to the lower bound isn't going to do anything.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 06:24:06 AM

1. Underclocking Memory
2. Undervolting - ??

Yes but not much. If you are going to underclock to the "sweet spot" to raise hashing, you have to modify bios. Lowering the memory just to the lower bound isn't going to do anything.

Wrong again. In linux you can lower the mem. clock of 5970 to 300 without altering the bios ... read the forum threads titled the same. (I do it all the time.)

IlbiStarz

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 05:36:07 PM

Okay I didn't know about 5970s... But my 5850s are only lower-able to 700 or something.
Inaba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2011, 06:55:26 PM

So you are the second person to say the guide needs to be rewritten because there are "errors" but as of yet, no one has pointed out a single error.

Also, why are you using the 32 bit version of Ubuntu?  I'm not saying there aren't valid reasons to be using it, but I'm just curious if you have a 64 bit CPU, there is absolutely no reason to use the 32 bit version for mining.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  

Jump to: