Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 04:30:08 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 [1108] 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312567 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 5142

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
September 13, 2016, 09:06:32 PM

Evidently the GUI is hiding in the woods in Winston Salem?
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 13, 2016, 09:27:29 PM

I just heard today that user interface is so yesterday and today it's user experience.  So forget about the GUI, we need a GUX.  How could the devs have missed this?

Please don't say I could do this myself as I have no skills unless you need janitorial help. 

As usual no price predictions from me.  No skills there either.  I just buy, hold and occasionally use.  My time frame is l o  n   g. .  .   .    .
bobabouey2

Activity: 248
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 13, 2016, 09:28:23 PM

I thought we'd cancelled the GUI?
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
September 13, 2016, 09:33:57 PM

I'm confused. Why Winston Salem?

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2016, 09:34:35 PM

Witch hunts, etc.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
September 13, 2016, 09:35:49 PM

Gotcha.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 13, 2016, 09:42:24 PM

The witch hunts was Salem Massachusetts.

Edit: Winston Salem is in North Carolina.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2016, 09:56:50 PM

The witch hunts was Salem Massachusetts.

Edit: Winston Salem is in North Carolina.
Oy, thank you
http://wlos.com/news/local/clown-sightings-continue-spread-to-winston-salem

I misinterpreted the pestering for the GUI's release as a witch hunt

addition: http://www.wxii12.com/news/reported-winstonsalem-clown-sighting-kid-luring-attempt-was-false-police-say/41580686
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
September 14, 2016, 12:39:30 AM

I made a scenario analysis on XMR price (scenarios weighted with their probabilities).

In 365 days, my expected value is 4.5x the current price. This includes scenarios ranging from total loss to unexpectedly large rise.

The thing that makes cryptos a premier asset is the asymmetrical risk and reward. It is in my view equally probable for the price to either crash, boom, or stay roughly the same, in a period of 12 months. The nice thing is that a boom means multiplying the current wealth by a large factor, but the risk "only" means losing it. As a result, it is wildly positive expected value (+EV).

ADD: Aminorex was correct with his thesis that one should rather sell all his BTC and invest 1/3 in XMR and 2/3 in USD, than keep 95% of the BTC and buy a small XMR position with the rest.

Since XMR is still only 1% of BTC marketcapwise, the above still holds.

I agree with the concept of a XMR / fiat mix to replace XBT holdings. As for the actual mix I see it as a matter of one's risk tolerance and financial position. As for which fiat that is also a matter of personal circumstances, in particular which currency is one's expenses denominated. I live in Canada so I went with CAD myself for the fiat component. I am a bit nervous regarding USD at the moment, other interesting choices are EUR, GBP, AUD, JPY, and CHF.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
September 14, 2016, 01:08:56 AM

I live in Canada so I went with CAD myself for the fiat component. I am a bit nervous regarding USD at the moment, other interesting choices are EUR, GBP, AUD, JPY, and CHF.

GBP FTW.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3850
Merit: 5015

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
September 14, 2016, 01:30:03 AM

the monero dev team also dont seem to care much. i witnessed a conversation between fluffypony and denverthedinozor on polo yesterday. the latter asked when the gui will be available and the former said, monero is open source, thus when the dev feels like it they will work on it and release it. that doesnt seem like its going to happen anytime soon. i believe the foundation made a lot of money in the hype and thus dont really care about the system anymore.

Beside this you said also other things that might be cool or not, basicly dont matter. But this really made me to reply.

What  fluffypony said is how it is. Monero is opensource project without any premine or ICO or whatever. There is no foundation. None of those that wrote code got any XMR for free. They had to buy them with money they earned doing something else. So what happens with that is no ones buisness.

There were few projects founded. One is also a GUI that is worked on from January. With price increase that bounty of 18k XMR also got a bigger appeal. A year ago that was $10k today is way more. So I am sure, since is totally naturally, that coder that working on GUI is focusing way more then he did at beginning of year.

For those that likes coins that have ICO , premines and foundations or even big mega money corporations behind, should just forget about Monero. Why waste your time with something that is in basic something you dont want. And there are so many options.

Lets not forget that there is a DEV fund and most pools contribute. BTW where is a link to the accounting of that fund?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
ibuyltc

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 14, 2016, 01:45:47 AM

Lets not forget that there is a DEV fund and most pools contribute. BTW where is a link to the accounting of that fund?

Not quite accounting, but they do have milestones listed.

https://forum.getmonero.org/9/work-in-progress

Odd, not all of them seem to have the same detailed format with milestones and payout listed under the bars.  https://forum.getmonero.org/9/work-in-progress/2400/open-source-amd-miner-by-wolf0
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3850
Merit: 5015

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
September 14, 2016, 01:47:37 AM

Not quite accounting, but they do have milestones listed.

https://forum.getmonero.org/9/work-in-progress

Odd, not all of them seem to have the same detailed format with milestones and payout listed under the bars.  https://forum.getmonero.org/9/work-in-progress/2400/open-source-amd-miner-by-wolf0

Speaking of wolf miner, what pool does it default to on failover? I doesn't display that.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
phoenix9110

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 14, 2016, 06:01:45 AM

I'm on board with you guys. Every time I see flufflypony anywhere, it's quite discerning on the level of actual participation he portrays to the community. No matter where I go, I see, "why don't you work on the GUI", or, "we do this all unpaid and I'm not selling my small satchel of coin".

Small? The average joe is broke compared to these guys. You don't have to premine to buy half of your stash outwright when it's so new that someone selling their coins for .25 cents a piece thinks it's a rippin profit. Not only that, but being the first to actually mine when it hits shelves... The audacity.. It's a literal slap in the face.

Don't fret though, the millionaire will be back to plead his case. Probably tell us we should work on the GUI ourselves. I'm really losing hope in what I once believed in. It doesn't matter who can and can't use a CLI. The coin will never reach heights without a GUI. It's simple usability for any person wanting to get in but cant, because they aren't CLI friendly. Not everyone can compile from source, but everyone (figuratively speaking) can have a cash flow to spend on items.

I see that this programmer of the GUI is well-rounded in over a dozen languages, but can't seem to find out how to create a simple open source wallet. Maybe they talk him up more than he's worth, or maybe they're just sitting around having a good ole time.

Oh well. I'll still hold onto my small stash.

Whtwabbit

Activity: 490
Merit: 266

View Profile
September 14, 2016, 06:15:59 AM

"Not everyone can compile from source"

Everyone can, but are just to lazy to learn, sounds like you have had to many free dinners

(edit: I am one of the to lazy to learn too)

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
OrangeP

Activity: 358
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 14, 2016, 06:38:41 AM

I'm on board with you guys. Every time I see flufflypony anywhere, it's quite discerning on the level of actual participation he portrays to the community. No matter where I go, I see, "why don't you work on the GUI", or, "we do this all unpaid and I'm not selling my small satchel of coin".

Small? The average joe is broke compared to these guys. You don't have to premine to buy half of your stash outwright when it's so new that someone selling their coins for .25 cents a piece thinks it's a rippin profit. Not only that, but being the first to actually mine when it hits shelves... The audacity.. It's a literal slap in the face.

Don't fret though, the millionaire will be back to plead his case. Probably tell us we should work on the GUI ourselves. I'm really losing hope in what I once believed in. It doesn't matter who can and can't use a CLI. The coin will never reach heights without a GUI. It's simple usability for any person wanting to get in but cant, because they aren't CLI friendly. Not everyone can compile from source, but everyone (figuratively speaking) can have a cash flow to spend on items.

I see that this programmer of the GUI is well-rounded in over a dozen languages, but can't seem to find out how to create a simple open source wallet. Maybe they talk him up more than he's worth, or maybe they're just sitting around having a good ole time.

Thanks for pointing that out. The devs must be stupid not to have at least hundreds of thousands coins or more stored. However, they will be even more stupid to admit that to the public and get accused of scamming. 

Regarding a GUI: mymonero.com will do for Average Joe. But be realistic. Average Joe is far from being a Monero investor.

Hottest Coins: Decred, ZCoin, Waves
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
September 14, 2016, 07:02:05 AM

Thanks for pointing that out. The devs must be stupid not to have at least hundreds of thousands coins or more stored. However, they will be even more stupid to admit that to the public and get accused of scamming. 

Regarding a GUI: mymonero.com will do for Average Joe. But be realistic. Average Joe is far from being a Monero investor.

Why should devs buy any more than anyone else?  You must be stupid not to have at least hundreds of thousands coins or more stored.
DaveyJones

Activity: 768
Merit: 505

View Profile
September 14, 2016, 07:19:54 AM

What the fuck does his "riches" and the average joes "poorness" got to do anything with this all... seems like the worst excuse you could find for yourself to cry about not having a GUI. He is not responsible for your life and your life choices, if you really wanted to understand how to compile from source you would try to figure out.
obit33

Activity: 514
Merit: 258

View Profile
September 14, 2016, 07:48:01 AM

here you go: http://bfy.tw/7gse

first link, third wallet, easy...

best regards
estenity

Activity: 1918
Merit: 537

View Profile
September 14, 2016, 08:43:47 AM

here you go: http://bfy.tw/7gse

first link, third wallet, easy...

best regards

it is an url shortener, is it safe ?
Pages: « 1 ... 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 [1108] 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: