Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:07:43 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 [1405] 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312568 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 09:08:05 PM

Top of pennant on xmr. Could be a nice reshort. I have  begun scaling more shorts with a sl at 0.0185, with green pl from my 193 short.

Depends on what you think of BTC.  It's the big factor in alt prices.  Normally XMR goes down on BTC rises, this time XMR has not lost $ value.

Good luck, but be careful, eh? Wink  I am not sure you will make on shorting XMR right now

我想要火箭和火车
kurious
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 09:10:22 PM

In other news...

BTC at 1135 and Honeypony is rising like it doesn't give a shit.

Back in the mid .018s as I type with a good green candles showing (against BTC) and nudging up towards $21 in USD terms.

Something afoot? 

Keep an eye, this is not a move I expected with BTC so bullish.

BTC lending rates dropped by half (<0.12%) so more margin longs?

A big factor affecting rates is the possibility of a fork. If you have your coins lent out you won't get the second coin. Looking at BCU on bitfinex, it is down from 200 to 150, so a significant drop in the expected value of the second coin.

And more than that - the risk of a fork does NOT mean 'moon' for BTC. The risk is not over.  I would not borrow BTC right now, IMHO this is not a sustainable price with the risks out there...

我想要火箭和火车
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 09:15:58 PM

In other news...

Back in the mid .018s as I type with a good green candles showing (against BTC) and nudging up towards $21 in USD terms.

Something afoot? 

A big factor affecting rates is the possibility of a fork. If you have your coins lent out you won't get the second coin. Looking at BCU on bitfinex, it is down from 200 to 150, so a significant drop in the expected value of the second coin.

And more than that - the risk of a fork does NOT mean 'moon' for BTC. The risk is not over.  I would not borrow BTC right now, IMHO this is not a sustainable price with the risks out there...

Sure, but you can be more willing to lend if you are holding BTC and either think the second coin won't happen or will quickly become worthless (or just very low value). The current rates of about 0.1% per day is still a quite profitable return for BTC longs. 1/2-1% per week or so.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 09:21:40 PM

Is mymonero site working for you guys? It's hung up on a transaction now for a few hours, what gives?

It seemed a little iffy yesterday as well.

How long do these hang ups normally last? I can't send anything else right now either. My account is in essence frozen as it says unconfirmed for a few hours now. I can't even make any other transactions.  Sad

Do transactions time out on mymonero? What is the normal wait when something is hung up?

Probably best to contact their support (support@mymonero.com).

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
FOMOFish

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 09:21:48 PM
Last edit: April 03, 2017, 09:38:01 PM by FOMOFish

Top of pennant on xmr. Could be a nice reshort. I have  begun scaling more shorts with a sl at 0.0185, with green pl from my 193 short.

Depends on what you think of BTC.  It's the big factor in alt prices.  Normally XMR goes down on BTC rises, this time XMR has not lost $ value.

Good luck, but be careful, eh? Wink  I am not sure you will make on shorting XMR right now

Even if this hits 185 and i get sl, I still make bitcoin. But so far i reshorted at 185-183 and now it is 177 again. More green, more btc for me. I think there is still room for 1250 btc bull fakeout which could mean a realization of my low 0.016 and at least low 0.017 for xmr. Who knows, long term trend line has 0.012 xmr correction, and similar harsh drops for all alts maid to 10k fct to 20 eth could drop to $30. I am short on all of them. Only alt that I think has completed a deeper retrace is ripple from 7k to 2k.

Dont get me wrong. I am a monero bag holder, maid bag holder 7k etc but they have all had brilliant runs this year and as a result have room to correct a midst a btc bull run so it seems only logical to day trade these spot holdings to make more btc.

EDIT: 175 Yes we have broken down on xmr and broken up on btc. I expect the destruction of this pennant and sub 0.017 today.
kurious
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 09:40:52 PM

In other news...

Something afoot? 

Sure, but you can be more willing to lend if you are holding BTC and either think the second coin won't happen or will quickly become worthless (or just very low value). The current rates of about 0.1% per day is still a quite profitable return for BTC longs. 1/2-1% per week or so.

Lower rates implies less likelihood of a fork, since lending risks (as you said) mean not getting your (admittedly possibly worthless) 'bonus' coins and the scary damage of a fork to price.

However, a chain fork will not necessarily mean an ETH style 1+1 = >2, it will more likely see an unnerving doubt becoming prevalent over BTC. Full stop.

Markets dislike uncertainty.

Any split will mean stasis over trading - everyone will hold in their wallets and wait.   Lower rates also means demand to borrow is low, which makes  sense. 

BTC cannot climb to new ATH while this shit is still unresolved (although I do think Core will probably win).

I am happy to be overexposed to Monero right now, I hope I am not alone Wink

我想要火箭和火车
kurious
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 09:46:23 PM

Depends on what you think of BTC.  It's the big factor in alt prices.  Normally XMR goes down on BTC rises, this time XMR has not lost $ value.

Good luck, but be careful, eh? Wink  I am not sure you will make on shorting XMR right now

Even if this hits 185 and i get sl, I still make bitcoin. But so far i reshorted at 185-183 and now it is 177 again. More green, more btc for me. I think there is still room for 1250 btc bull fakeout which could mean a realization of my low 0.016 and at least low 0.017 for xmr. Who knows, long term trend line has 0.012 xmr correction, and similar harsh drops for all alts maid to 10k fct to 20 eth could drop to $30. I am short on all of them. Only alt that I think has completed a deeper retrace is ripple from 7k to 2k.

Dont get me wrong. I am a monero bag holder, maid bag holder 7k etc but they have all had brilliant runs this year and as a result have room to correct a midst a btc bull run so it seems only logical to day trade these spot holdings to make more btc.

EDIT: 175 Yes we have broken down on xmr and broken up on btc. I expect the destruction of this pennant and sub 0.017 today.

You obviously are well informed enough to make your call.  Fair enough.  Personally I am happy XMR to be holding a $20 plus price.

BTC looks overpriced to me, but you bet on it if you're sure, eh?

我想要火箭和火车
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3850
Merit: 5015

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 10:28:18 PM
Last edit: April 03, 2017, 11:17:57 PM by Hueristic

Coinbase have said that their long-term goal is to add multiple coins so it's not necessarily a case of either/or.

That said, given what Lee has said about Dash, I just can't imagine how Coinbase could offer it without undermining their credibility.

They added ETH during the DAO and fork to ETC so what does that tell you about their credibility?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Billy Bunter

Activity: 327
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 10:38:46 PM

Guys, as a lot of the Dash people seem to sincerely believe that coinbase is gonna add them first  but I think around here we-all pretty much believe (more likely based on what Armstrong, Lee, etc have actually *said* lately, not to mention their actual POLL results) that it's going to be MONERO next up on their platform as the #3 crypto coin gonna be made available to the mass market... it's occurred to me today that maybe something ELSE may be in the works rather than just us or them being disappointed when this news finally comes.

Seems to me that IF maybe coinbase doesn't want to be seen as 'playing favorites' or engaging in any action that could be construed as 'manipulating the markets' maybe if they're seriously gonna add either Dash or XMR next, it might be that they kinda have to ADD BOTH OF THEM TOGETHER AT THE SAME TIME??

Picking one or the other right now, especially in light of recent events, has many pro/con aspects to either decision and seems to me there's no clear correct choice other than don't do either of them OR -- better -- just do 'em both at once!!

So, is that crazy thinking or does anyone else here see maybe this might be how it'd have to play out...?

Coinbase have said that their long-term goal is to add multiple coins so it's not necessarily a case of either/or.

They added ETH during the DAO and fork to ETC so what does that tell you about their credibility?

I'm not sure what one has to do with the other.

Coinbase is likely not for Crypto Currency purists. It is more aimed at speculators who don't care about maintaining their own wallets and who want an easy way to purchase currencies without the pressure and learning curve of trading platforms like Poloniex.

I'm not that interested in their credibility insofar as their decision with regard to ETH and the DAO. I am interested in the fact that they have six million accounts and what that might do for Monero's reputation and price.

Baguette Holder.
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 10:43:19 PM

Guys, as a lot of the Dash people seem to sincerely believe that coinbase is gonna add them first Huh but I think around here we-all pretty much believe (more likely based on what Armstrong, Lee, etc have actually *said* lately, not to mention their actual POLL results) that it's going to be MONERO next up on their platform as the #3 crypto coin gonna be made available to the mass market... it's occurred to me today that maybe something ELSE may be in the works rather than just us or them being disappointed when this news finally comes.

Seems to me that IF maybe coinbase doesn't want to be seen as 'playing favorites' or engaging in any action that could be construed as 'manipulating the markets' maybe if they're seriously gonna add either Dash or XMR next, it might be that they kinda have to ADD BOTH OF THEM TOGETHER AT THE SAME TIME??

Picking one or the other right now, especially in light of recent events, has many pro/con aspects to either decision and seems to me there's no clear correct choice other than don't do either of them OR -- better -- just do 'em both at once!!

So, is that crazy thinking or does anyone else here see maybe this might be how it'd have to play out...?

and...

Guys, as a lot of the Dash people seem to sincerely believe that coinbase is gonna add them first  but I think around here we-all pretty much believe (more likely based on what Armstrong, Lee, etc have actually *said* lately, not to mention their actual POLL results) that it's going to be MONERO next up on their platform as the #3 crypto coin gonna be made available to the mass market... it's occurred to me today that maybe something ELSE may be in the works rather than just us or them being disappointed when this news finally comes.

WTF is there an echo in here?  LOL

Sometimes bought accounts will do thi trying to fool sig campains, check the guys posts.

I had one that was doing that to my posts that were weeks old.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 11:19:50 PM

Coinbase is likely not for Crypto Currency purists. It is more aimed at speculators who don't care about maintaining their own wallets and who want an easy way to purchase currencies without the pressure and learning curve of trading platforms like Poloniex.

I'm not that interested in their credibility insofar as their decision with regard to ETH and the DAO. I am interested in the fact that they have six million accounts and what that might do for Monero's reputation and price.

Sorry I was responding to this

That said, given what Lee has said about Dash, I just can't imagine how Coinbase could offer it without undermining their credibility.

And apparently I did not quote the correct line so I've gone back and corrected that.

Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 11:27:34 PM

One can borrow DASH at a lending rate of approximately one third of that for XBT. Cryptocurrency on margin is a an extremely high risk business and not for the faint of heart.

You got that right, I almost got caught shorting ripple and dash but luckily I only margin 25% of my margin account so was able to ride out both bear traps and still come out on the plus side.

In other news...

Something afoot? 

NEVER point this out to a degenerate gambler! Tongue

aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 11:36:47 PM

BTC mempool size has crashed since February.  Smoothed xns/day is trending down.  It seems clear that the tight hold on BTC is increasing.  Come the fork, you may have a hard time finding anyone willing to spend BTC for a couple of weeks at least.

I am increasingly convinced that this will spike XMR.  How else can you buy fentanyl on alphabay?  Opiates are the quintessence of an inelastic demand driver - just ask Stringer Bell.  Methinks I should go all-in again.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2017, 11:42:31 PM

Speculation:. When BTC forks everyone will be holding  their coins tightly, and transaction traffic will approach nil.  Consequently the only way to actually buy anything on, e.g., alphabay will be using XMR.   XMR valuation may double, triple, quadruple overnight.

Any market (darknet or otherwise) paying attention will suspend/freeze all BTC activity until the Happening/Forkcalypse/Battle Of The Blockchain is resolved.

That could take days or weeks or months, producing a BTC liquidity crisis and ensuing mother of all alt pumps.

Since spill-over/backup capacity for BTC is the main use case of alts, it really wouldn't even be a pump but rather a fundamental repricing event to discover how best to reallocate capital in the crypto sector in light of a black swan visiting the One True Ledger.

Coins with preexisting, independent (sorry no ShapeShit) market infrastructure/support/use, such as Monero, should do best as their current relatively low prices represent a bottleneck that must be expanded in order for previous levels of commerce to start flowing through again.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Billy Bunter

Activity: 327
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 11:46:16 PM

Sorry I was responding to this

And apparently I did not quote the correct line so I've gone back and corrected that.

Ah, I see. Well I do think there's a difference in terms of how the two situations relate to credibility. In the case of the ETH/DAO debacle, it's not as if Coinbase played any part in it. It was going to happen with or without Coinbase's input. And to repeat myself, rightly or wrongly, most people (investors/speculators) either wanted it to happen or didn't care if it did. I'm not arguing that they were right not to care, rather that Coinbase's target audience aren't the type that would.

Clearly, adding Ethereum to Coinbase didn't impact Coinbase's reputation for the great majority of its customers. Adding Dash would. Or, rather, it should. You can't add a currency to your portfolio that's been ridiculed by your Director or Engineering without risking huge criticism. And rightly so.

On the other hand, you can add Monero. And wouldn't we all want that?

Baguette Holder.
LennyCarl

Activity: 176
Merit: 108

View Profile
April 04, 2017, 12:47:55 AM

Speculation:. When BTC forks everyone will be holding  their coins tightly, and transaction traffic will approach nil.  Consequently the only way to actually buy anything on, e.g., alphabay will be using XMR.   XMR valuation may double, triple, quadruple overnight.

Any market (darknet or otherwise) paying attention will suspend/freeze all BTC activity until the Happening/Forkcalypse/Battle Of The Blockchain is resolved.

That could take days or weeks or months, producing a BTC liquidity crisis and ensuing mother of all alt pumps.

Since spill-over/backup capacity for BTC is the main use case of alts, it really wouldn't even be a pump but rather a fundamental repricing event to discover how best to reallocate capital in the crypto sector in light of a black swan visiting the One True Ledger.

Coins with preexisting, independent (sorry no ShapeShit) market infrastructure/support/use, such as Monero, should do best as their current relatively low prices represent a bottleneck that must be expanded in order for previous levels of commerce to start flowing through again.

Coinbase adding monero before the Bitcoin Forkalypse (Forkacalypse?)would be nice timing. If they do add monero, is the expectation for after the april 15 hard fork (to unclog monero's own mempool)? Well,wouldn't that be excellent timing for it all to come together in this order!
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
April 04, 2017, 01:28:46 AM

...the Bitcoin Forkalypse (Forkacalypse?)

Hmm... fork-apocalypse, so maybe: "Forkapalypse"...?

Nice, LOL.  I think that'll catch on Cheesy

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
LennyCarl

Activity: 176
Merit: 108

View Profile
April 04, 2017, 01:55:26 AM

...the Bitcoin Forkalypse (Forkacalypse?)

Hmm... fork-apocalypse, so maybe: "Forkapalypse"...?

Nice, LOL.  I think that'll catch on Cheesy

Yeah it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, all throat really. But I like the double ka sounds... Cheesy
FOMOFish

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 04, 2017, 06:19:56 AM

You obviously are well informed enough to make your call.  Fair enough.  Personally I am happy XMR to be holding a $20 plus price.

BTC looks overpriced to me, but you bet on it if you're sure, eh?

In the end I covered completely all alt shorts because like you said btc seems to be having some trouble now in this short term. I then entered into some very small margin longs on monero maid and ltc. At this point it seems 50/50 where alts or btc go.
kurious
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2017, 06:51:57 AM

BTC mempool size has crashed since February.  Smoothed xns/day is trending down.  It seems clear that the tight hold on BTC is increasing.  Come the fork, you may have a hard time finding anyone willing to spend BTC for a couple of weeks at least.

I am increasingly convinced that this will spike XMR.  How else can you buy fentanyl on alphabay?  Opiates are the quintessence of an inelastic demand driver - just ask Stringer Bell.  Methinks I should go all-in again.

You are convinced the fork is inevitable?   I think even the possibility is destabilising - but with BTC at this price, it seems to not be priced in, indicating IMO that it is not thought to be definite by the market.

I am not saying you're wrong, but I wonder how you feel it's a done deal it will happen.

我想要火箭和火车
Pages: « 1 ... 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 [1405] 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: