Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 12:16:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1736 1737 1738 1739 1740 1741 1742 1743 1744 1745 1746 1747 1748 1749 1750 1751 1752 1753 1754 1755 1756 1757 1758 1759 1760 1761 1762 1763 1764 1765 1766 1767 1768 1769 1770 1771 1772 1773 1774 1775 1776 1777 1778 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 [1786] 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312335 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 03:14:30 AM

The problem with Monero is essentially the same as with Bitcoin, it's outdated tech with limited to no chance of real world growth with the ride of new coins that actually solve big problems.

Wasteful PoW should have been replaced with PoS. We keep on hearing the same outdated 6 year old anti-PoS arguments over and over, but those issues have been resolved for some time now. We should have switched long ago.

Inefficient blockchain. Blockchain fundamentally cannot scale globally. Second layer solutions are no solutions at all becsusr they break the entire concept. DAG solved this. We should have switched long ago.

Ah! You are back! We can see a large increase shortly then. PoS is what it eludes to. Not that it matters to ducks with water an backs and all

*clap*
*clap*
*clap*

What great arguments Sir... Your refutation of my points have completely convinced me.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1103

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 03:16:47 AM

The problem with Monero is essentially the same as with Bitcoin, it's outdated tech with limited to no chance of real world growth with the ride of new coins that actually solve big problems.

Wasteful PoW should have been replaced with PoS. We keep on hearing the same outdated 6 year old anti-PoS arguments over and over, but those issues have been resolved for some time now. We should have switched long ago.

Inefficient blockchain. Blockchain fundamentally cannot scale globally. Second layer solutions are no solutions at all becsusr they break the entire concept. DAG solved this. We should have switched long ago.

Not that this really has much to do with Moreno speculation, but can you give some examples of coins that have "solved" PoS without sacrificing decentralization?
fromholland

Activity: 280
Merit: 107

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 07:42:08 AM

Hello Folks,

My apologies for not being able to follow up on the questions I was asked, but I got KO'd for 7 days due to "On-forum altcoin giveaway / Incentivising posting within specific threads".

Consequently, this is the last I will post on this forum about the 777 USD game. Hopefully, this doesn't get deleted. And hopefully, I don't get another KO for this.

The game is alive and kicking with total of 66 participants at the official Monero forum at the following link:

https://forum.getmonero.org/6/ideas/89639/guess-the-777-usd-date-in-2018

Any questions you have please fire them at the other forum or via PM. I tried to follow up with everyone's predictions here in the thread and on PM as best as I could.  My apologies if I missed on somebody's entry and for causing posts in the thread to be deleted.

Thank you and Happy New 2018 to all of you! And for sure great things to come for Monero  Wink

Happy New Year to you too!

thanks for setting this up, and rock on Monero!

kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 10:13:43 AM

Ooh!  Megatroll, we are honored.  Welcome, Sir, your appearence is of course bullish.

POS?  Ahem...  Sure...  Noted Wink

Do try a little harder?

我想要火箭和火车
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 12:16:18 PM

Ooh!  Megatroll, we are honored.  Welcome, Sir, your appearence is of course bullish.

POS?  Ahem...  Sure...  Noted Wink

Do try a little harder?

True to form.  Price rising steadily since he posted.  Pretty cool how that always works.  He's going to have to post hourly if I'm going to have 777 today, though.
DaveyJones

Activity: 768
Merit: 505

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 12:23:17 PM

Ah! You are back! We can see a large increase shortly then. PoS is what it eludes to. Not that it matters to ducks with water an backs and all

*clap*
*clap*
*clap*

What great arguments Sir... Your refutation of my points have completely convinced me.

Concern troll... you cannot even give arguments on your own past claims and rather leave this thread to show up weeks later again. Just move on Monero isn't for you it seems.
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 01:11:54 PM

Not that this really has much to do with Moreno speculation, but can you give some examples of coins that have "solved" PoS without sacrificing decentralization?

I'm speculating on Moneros potential for future growth and sustainability within the crypto space.
Fungibility and privacy are important feats imho but the system still has to compete, be sustainable and scaleable.
Can you elaborate on "sacrificing decentralization"? You mean more decentralized than Bitcoin? *Surprise* It's not, with current 1000 ETH min. in Ethereum for example we get to almost 3000 validators. This is a variable that can and will be lowered in the future, increasing the number of validators greatly.
Now look at Bitcoin, how many entities are mining?

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 03:13:56 PM

I'm speculating on Moneros potential for future growth and sustainability within the crypto space.
Fungibility and privacy are important feats imho but the system still has to compete, be sustainable and scaleable.
Can you elaborate on "sacrificing decentralization"? You mean more decentralized than Bitcoin? *Surprise* It's not, with current 1000 ETH min. in Ethereum for example we get to almost 3000 validators. This is a variable that can and will be lowered in the future, increasing the number of validators greatly.
Now look at Bitcoin, how many entities are mining?

Bitcoin does have issues, but Monero's adaptive blocksize is a feature designed to mitigate Bitcoin's issue is respct of full blocks and the devs are aware that keeping the blockchain and transactions lean is important.

But I am sure you know this. Sure, no coin has zero issues but Monero's devs are superb at adding features that anticipate future issues and adding desirable features that make it way better than other coins.

Bitcoin's issues are legion and we can learn from them, however, I fail to see how moving to POS is an ideal solution - please offer examples of successes in this respect as I am not at all convinced but open to coherent argument, if it's not just trolling.

我想要火箭和火车
Billy Bunter

Activity: 327
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 03:59:20 PM

Anyone here have experience of trading with Cumberland Mining? How is/was it? Would you recommend? What are their rates like? How long does a transaction typically take?

I'm about to sign a counterparty agreement with them and wanted to see if anyone has anything to share. Thanks.

Baguette Holder.
Andalusy

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 05:22:36 PM

In my mind so much of what Monero is is the vision of the core team.  They are a large part of the reason I am involved with Monero.  Who would take over and what would that mean?  I support whatever the core team decides.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 07:09:15 PM

In my mind so much of what Monero is is the vision of the core team.  They are a large part of the reason I am involved with Monero.  Who would take over and what would that mean?  I support whatever the core team decides.

thats dangerous mentality of the same kind that turned bitcoin into a crippled coin

I agree. We must remember that the core team serves at the pleasure of the community. It is the community who is the boss.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 07:38:04 PM

If enough of us agree we can make them do things on camera

Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 08:27:37 PM

I wonder if everyone has gotten the message yet: https://news.google.com/news/story/dwYP2zAQWq3CYKMaBg3ejO5oXXNrM?ned=us&hl=en&gl=US

TLDR: Something something evil bad guys crooks criminals Monero underworld something something
Billy Bunter

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 08:55:12 PM

I wonder if everyone has gotten the message yet: https://news.google.com/news/story/dwYP2zAQWq3CYKMaBg3ejO5oXXNrM?ned=us&hl=en&gl=US

TLDR: Something something evil bad guys crooks criminals Monero underworld something something

Now that I have your attention, Mr. Mnemonic, I demand a forecast! Nothing less than your best, if you will.

Baguette Holder.
Johnny Mnemonic

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 09:16:02 PM

Now that I have your attention, Mr. Mnemonic, I demand a forecast! Nothing less than your best, if you will.

It's too early to call. If we've already seen the top of the cycle, then I'd assume the price will continue to tease us but will eventually drop to the $230 dollar range and linger there for way too long. Then the trolls will come out and tell us how stupid we are and that the project is doomed. Then the price will shoot up to $1250 in late February.

However, if we haven't yet seen the top of this cycle, then all bets are off. As I said, it's just too early to call right now.

Also, please don't risk any money on anything I say. I'm just drawing lines here! It's all for fun.
DAOfan

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 09:33:01 PM

You know I am actually surprised monero hasn't risen as much as other privacy based coins. At least monero is consistently used. It did have a price jump but other altcoins have had a much larger increase. Maybe this means Monero needs more development. It is absolutely phenomenal when it comes to adoption (and lets face it, that's the hard part).

Meet IP Exchange. Distributed network layer.
Join IPSX Token Sale  ─── 『 https://ip.sx/
stromae

Activity: 309
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 09:33:04 PM

In my mind so much of what Monero is is the vision of the core team.  They are a large part of the reason I am involved with Monero.  Who would take over and what would that mean?  I support whatever the core team decides.

thats dangerous mentality of the same kind that turned bitcoin into a crippled coin

I agree. We must remember that the core team serves at the pleasure of the community. It is the community who is the boss.

Core teams should work as a worker, the boss should be the community and the investors here as you mentioned. Otherwise, without investors and a crowded community, Monero would get weaker obviously.
Billy Bunter

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 10:17:16 PM

You know I am actually surprised monero hasn't risen as much as other privacy based coins. At least monero is consistently used. It did have a price jump but other altcoins have had a much larger increase. Maybe this means Monero needs more development. It is absolutely phenomenal when it comes to adoption (and lets face it, that's the hard part).

It's hardly a question of development. Verge, for example, is a barely-developed bauble, yet look at what's happened to the price. The market, these days, doesn't care about development, long-term value, or principled beginnings. It only cares about pumping anything that breathes.

Baguette Holder.
Billy Bunter

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 10:21:18 PM

It's too early to call. If we've already seen the top of the cycle, then I'd assume the price will continue to tease us but will eventually drop to the $230 dollar range and linger there for way too long. Then the trolls will come out and tell us how stupid we are and that the project is doomed. Then the price will shoot up to $1250 in late February.

However, if we haven't yet seen the top of this cycle, then all bets are off. As I said, it's just too early to call right now.

Also, please don't risk any money on anything I say. I'm just drawing lines here! It's all for fun.

Thank you. No, no - no guarantees inferred, no promises made, no risks undertaken. I bought my last Monero in June 2016 and I'm a holder until the day I'm not.

I do believe, though, that we will see $500 before we see anything approaching $230 again.

Baguette Holder.
Johnny Mnemonic

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 11:07:38 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2018, 11:19:47 PM by Johnny Mnemonic

Thank you. No, no - no guarantees inferred, no promises made, no risks undertaken. I bought my last Monero in June 2016 and I'm a holder until the day I'm not.

I do believe, though, that we will see $500 before we see anything approaching $230 again.

Then you do not think the December high was the top of the cycle. You might be correct, but it's difficult to know because the price continues to linger in limbo. If I had to guess (not a confident guess), I'd say it's more likely we'll see the price collapse sometime in the next few days.

This reminds me of the weeks following the $153 high, the price kept sneaking back up towards $120, hinting that there might be another leg up. It didn't definitively break downward until 17 days later.

So far it has only been 14 days since our $478 peak. We have already 5Xed our previous bottom, and XMR has never seen (much) more than a 5X increase in any of its previous bull runs.
Pages: « 1 ... 1736 1737 1738 1739 1740 1741 1742 1743 1744 1745 1746 1747 1748 1749 1750 1751 1752 1753 1754 1755 1756 1757 1758 1759 1760 1761 1762 1763 1764 1765 1766 1767 1768 1769 1770 1771 1772 1773 1774 1775 1776 1777 1778 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 [1786] 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: