Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:32:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1775 1776 1777 1778 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 [1825] 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312371 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
estenity

Activity: 1918
Merit: 535

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 04:26:15 AM

I think this crash was planned and orchestrated, many things came together and created this perfect storm:

- The mid January (Asian New Years) sell off.

- CMC removing Korea without announcement.

- Whales dumping and weak hands jumping in.

- The mainstream media (and even Cointelegraph and others) writing fake news FUD articles every other day (whenever it went up a little). So many fake news articles: Korea bans Crypto, India bans crypto, the list goes on.

- Tether FUD. What happened to innocent until proven guilty? People just assumed that they are scammers. The reserve banks of the world print unlimited money and pump it into the economy, stock market etc. But Tether is the BIG problem?

- The 100 richest Bitcoin adresses have increased and not decreased their holdings during the last four weeks.

Anyway, this correction / crash might also be a good thing, a lot of people came in for the wrong reasons, not caring about blockchain technology at all, expecting to get rich in a few month. This might be a needed cleanse and gve a fresh start. At least thats what I’m telling myself.

good to be a contrarian.
it helps during difficult moments.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rinus

Activity: 362
Merit: 258

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 04:27:47 AM

I think this crash was planned and orchestrated, many things came together and created this perfect storm:

- The mainstream media (and even Cointelegraph and others) writing fake news FUD articles every other day (whenever it went up a little). So many fake news articles: Korea bans Crypto, India bans crypto, the list goes on.

- Tether FUD. What happened to innocent until proven guilty? People just assumed that they are scammers. The reserve banks of the world print unlimited money and pump it into the economy, stock market etc. But Tether is the BIG problem?

- The 100 richest Bitcoin adresses have increased and not decreased their holdings during the last four weeks.

Anyway, this correction / crash might also be a good thing, a lot of people came in for the wrong reasons, not caring about blockchain technology at all, expecting to get rich in a few month. This might be a needed cleanse and gve a fresh start. At least thats what I’m telling myself.

good to be a contrarian.

I do hope we see a bottom soon.  The charts keep on going down
jerry0

Activity: 1736
Merit: 186

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 04:28:05 AM

Well what is the highest price do people think monero could become. Does anyone think it could possibly hit 5k or 10k or even more?
estenity

Activity: 1918
Merit: 535

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 04:35:11 AM

good to be a contrarian.

I do hope we see a bottom soon.  The charts keep on going down

other simultaneities:
-financial crisis beginning in US
-political mess in the same country
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 04:41:48 AM
Merited by Hueristic (1)

Well what is the highest price do people think monero could become. Does anyone think it could possibly hit 5k or 10k or even more?

So transaction fees were about 4 dollars or so when the price was 500. I suspect that around about a 4 dollar transaction fee is as much as the market will sustain. Bitcoin has managed to push higher but bitcoin is special. It is a powerful brand. So lets just say 4 dollars is about what someone is willing to pay in transaction fee for an altcoin and it was 4 dollars at 500 dollars. Bullet proofs will bring probably an 85% space savings. 80% on 2 output transactions but more space savings on transactions with more outputs so we need to increase it a bit above 80% to account for that. So with an 85% space savings and a 4 dollar transaction fee the price would be 6.6 times higher than 500. 500*6.6=3300.

So this is some super rough math but atleast it gives an idea of how to begin to approach this problem. Scalability is the limiting factor for cryptocurrencies right now and transaction fees are the measure of scalability (I know also centralization vs decentralization plays a role too but never the less). They are a reflection of the current progress in scaling technologies. The prices cant go higher until more and better scaling solutions are developed.

*edit*
Unless, as generalizethis points out, it starts getting valued as a tax haven type of reserve asset and not as a currency. Then people might be willing to deal with huge transaction fees. In which case the sky is the limit.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2018, 04:43:41 AM
Merited by Hueristic (1)

The market potential is in the trillions--based on the always expanding digital market for tax evasion and black markets.

Now will it capture all that market? Given its status as the best privacy coin, yes--when it comes to privacy, barring any significant price difference, people want to use the best tech as the human cost is dear to them. But that could change over time, so it would be foolish to presume that it will be the case for all time. So you buy and you watch the privacy market to see how Monero is progressing and any hedges you may want to make with interesting tech. One of the good things is that, at least as far as dark markets, privacy users are loyal--anyone who followed how long it took Monero to knock off a public blockchain can testify to that loyalty--AFAIK Bitcoin still has a lead on amount of tx on the dark market, though that's obviously shifting in Monero's favor as some of the  biggest markets add Monero.

explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:54:00 AM

I wouldn't expect more than that this year.  My personal bull thoughts are 1500 worst case, 10K euphoria.  If there is a raging wild fire through cryptoland, then the bull may get grilled as steaks, and who knows how it plays out.  Still optimistic though currently down 50% for 2018.  There is a lot of 2018 remaining.  As for beyond that, highest price  I'd be pretty stunned to see it over 10 000 000, ever.  The $ comparison would fail before that happens, because nobody would be using $ for anything but paying taxes in the US, maybe not even that.
explorer
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:55:17 AM

good to be a contrarian.

I do hope we see a bottom soon.  The charts keep on going down

other simultaneities:
-financial crisis beginning in US  the world
-political mess in the same country world
explorer
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:57:54 AM
Last edit: February 06, 2018, 06:13:15 AM by explorer
Merited by johnalan (2)

So transaction fees were about 4 dollars or so when the price was 500.

That was just for lazy/ignorant/generous/impatient/urgent people.  It barely topped a dollar for anyone willing to push (literally) one or two buttons and risk (small risk) <4 minutes vs <2 to confirm. So I would multiply your findings by 4...

note:  I've been here since early 2014, and I did (guessing) more transactions in the last 6 months than the 3 prior years combined.  I paid a tick over a dollar once, and something like $60 once when I fucked up on margin and was desperate to cut every second possible from the confirmation time by guaranteeing the next block.
madgpt

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 06:36:07 AM

Monero was getting some momentum all signs were great...
Then entire crypto market drops 20%+
Gotta love crypto though in all seriousness its such a fickle market
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3948
Merit: 1418

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 07:08:01 AM

Never say never, the market tends to overreact unpredictably at times.  I mean I sure don't want this to happen but I'm not gonna be denying that 'it will never happen' either.  Apathy and fear are the market's greatest enemies and that's what we are facing.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
rinus

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 07:09:25 AM

Never say never, the market tends to overreact unpredictably at times.  I mean I sure don't want this to happen but I'm not gonna be denying that 'it will never happen' either.  Apathy and fear are the market's greatest enemies and that's what we are facing.

Question is of xmr could recover from this ?
explorer
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 07:33:02 AM

It has every time so far, and it is growing better faster than ever.  Why wouldn't it?  Even centralized non-fungible coins recover routinely from big spikes and the subsequent drops.
xxxx123abcxxxx

Activity: 542
Merit: 266

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2018, 08:48:16 AM

No. Moreno is likely headed back to its ICO price; and may remain at sub-$20 for a while —if it survives as a cryptocurrency.

Afraid cannot suggest any viable cryptocurrency as a stable investment during 2018-2020.

Historically, when any asset bubble bursts, the unwinding bear market typically lasts 2 years on average (from peak price to ultimate low); and usually erases 80%-90% in value; see here:
http://www.thebubblebubble.com/historic-crashes/

Applying the same metrics to the cryptocurrency bubble, it would suggest Bitcoin at sub $1000 by Christmas 2018 or Easter 2019.
From late 2019 to early 2020, the second generation of cryptocurrencies ought to emerge as viable long-term investments; however this time, with stable growth, purpose fit technology, robust secure exchange platforms and real adoption —not parabolic exuberance.

Paradoxically, a volatile and rapid appreciation of a currency, is a failed currency. By definition, currencies are supposed to be recognized, accepted and stable mediums of exchange —not just another speculative boom-bust asset class.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2711461.0

rinus

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 08:52:47 AM

No. Moreno is likely headed back to its ICO price; and may remain at sub-$20 for a while —if it survives as a cryptocurrency.

Afraid cannot suggest any viable cryptocurrency as a stable investment during 2018-2020.

Historically, when any asset bubble bursts, the unwinding bear market typically lasts 2 years on average (from peak price to ultimate low); and usually erases 80%-90% in value; see here:
http://www.thebubblebubble.com/historic-crashes/

Applying the same metrics to the cryptocurrency bubble, it would suggest Bitcoin at sub $1000 by Christmas 2018 or Easter 2019.
From late 2019 to early 2020, the second generation of cryptocurrencies ought to emerge as viable long-term investments; however this time, with stable growth, purpose fit technology, robust secure exchange platforms and real adoption —not parabolic exuberance.

Paradoxically, a volatile and rapid appreciation of a currency, is a failed currency. By definition, currencies are supposed to be recognized, accepted and stable mediums of exchange —not just another speculative boom-bust asset class.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2711461.0

Sub 20, don’t make me laugh. Could we consider this trolling ? That would mean we go up soon Wink
rangedriver

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 08:57:25 AM
Merited by explorer (1), LennyCarl (1)

I still don't get why some people are getting so worked up about CRYPTO/USD prices, particularly when it comes to speculation. At this stage of the game all that matters is XMR/BTC. If your primary objective is the long-term accumulation of USD, then you are going to lose.

Sure, if you've got present-day commitments that are inescapable then I guess you've gotta do what you've gotta do, but c'mon guys... you don't need faith or subjective delusion to realise that in general, the nature of social-political behaviour is that given time ultimately individuals gravitate toward freedom while collectives gravitate toward progressivly fairer systems, and in BOTH scenarios, legacy finance ends up ded, centralized banks end up ded, state-sponsored tokens end up ded and powerful oligarchical fuckfaces end up wounded, presumably retreating to fuck us over in some other kind of way.

So right now I'm looking at the XMR/BTC chart and like all other CRYPTO/BTC charts, it's about as exciting as the mediterranean is to surfers. Business as usual. Everything is much the same as it ever was and within acceptable ranges.

I think by now, most people in this thread have a visceral understanding that XMR/BTC will be reaching new highs towards the end of the period starting end of Feb and finishing around about mid-summer. That's all that matters. Fuck the USD. It's not to important to the current mission.

At any point in time, ever, the only speculatively bad thing that can happen to XMR is if it goes down significantly against BTC.... and even if that were to happen (it's not) then it's only going to bounce back up again. You already know this.

For everyone else, at times like this I think it's worth taking to heart the wisdom of anglo-japanese financial trader Kero Kero Bonito, particularly in her 2016 publication entitled: Trampoline.

You can listen to the full 4 minute speech here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTkHkLDy0HI

As far as I'm concerned it's potentially the most important trading advice ever given.

Peace.

CryptoPH

Activity: 161
Merit: 100

<3 Crypto

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 09:14:37 AM

This is that moment when the market cleanses those that came in at the later part of the trend, who were hyped and those who thinks crypto is a get-rich-quick thing. Embarrassed

I will hold my purse of XMR through bull and bear.

wodebutterfly

Activity: 117
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 09:27:43 AM

Is there anyone who had ever forgotten to input the Payment ID when transferring XMR to an exchange? And how long does the exchange take to credit your XMR deposit? I transferred some from Binance to OKEX, but forget to input the ID. Half a month has passed, and problem still unsolved. 

◈ HYPERQUANT ◈ Platform for Professional Asset Management  (https://goo.gl/wGkw41)
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 09:37:18 AM

Is there anyone who had ever forgotten to input the Payment ID when transferring XMR to an exchange? And how long does the exchange take to credit your XMR deposit? I transferred some from Binance to OKEX, but forget to input the ID. Half a month has passed, and problem still unsolved. 

Did you notify them? The reason the PayID is important is because it tells them whose account to credit. If you don't file a ticket, you'll never get your money.
SolarStorm

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 09:59:20 AM

Ok so i figured, once i start dumping, the market will magically turn around.

So i dumped only 0.01 XMR and jay it worked  Grin
Pages: « 1 ... 1775 1776 1777 1778 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 [1825] 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: