Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 06:33:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Unveiling the truth over the major Monero scam  (Read 69404 times)
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 09:17:11 PM

Monero is very suspicious coin. I hear developer hardcode in 5 million xmr in their own wallets. Is it true???  Huh

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 09:20:20 PM

Something feels not right about this coin.

Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 09:23:33 PM

Next time you see a hero member, a senior member, or even a junior member that is posting for Monero...

And what about Legendary members?

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
rikkejohn

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 09:33:01 PM

A few gems about the special features that I have heard so much about.

"CryptoNote is the technology that allows creation of highly private egalitarian cryptocurrencies. (No sense or nonsense)

"Decimal point has been moved from BCN (18.446 million max supply instead of 184.46 billion). This is purely a UI change – technically there will be 264−1 atomic units (roughly 1019).

"My blockchain doesn’t work^
The first time you mine monero on a machine, you may want to speedup the syncing process by copying the blockchain from a previous machine. The blockchain.bin file is incompatible between Windows and Linux. It is a known problem with the boost library this is using to save the files."

"We are happy to announce a new version script. It now supports blockchain download, but only 64bit though, because we don’t have a clean 32bit provided by a user yet."

"Downloads: Win-64 (Vista and more) • Win-32 (XP) • OS X • Linux"

"Mac
Requires OS X Mavericks (10.9). Please note: this is not Wolf's miner, but LucasJones' which is less powerful."

"Important: this won't work on Windows out of the box! You must install MinGW, which is a tedious task."

"If you let you wallet opened all the time, you may think that you are not receiving any monero. This is because refresh is not automatic. You must either close the wallet and reopen it of, much more elegant, use the refresh command."

monero.cc

1PkwpyTLo5TfagzCPgjdvQFNVzuEyHViGt
luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 09:34:34 PM

Next time you see a hero member, a senior member, or even a junior member that is posting for Monero...

And what about Legendary members?

Even scarier those are!
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 09:39:15 PM
Last edit: August 27, 2014, 01:19:51 PM by ArticMine

Actually coins that are mined with ASICS and FPGAS are not vulnerable since these devices run GNU/Linux.

http://www.wired.com/2014/08/isp-bitcoin-theft/
Enough devices were redirected to mine ~$83,000 worth of coins.

GNU/Linux is FLOSS and also has enough GPLv3 code deep inside the OS to ensure that the owner of the has to be provided with root access.

So much wrong.
There is no GPLv3-only code 'deep inside the OS', because Linux is licensed under GPLv2.
And there are millions of linux based devices out there for which the owner has not been provided with root access.

This is a case where the distinction between GNU/Linux the operating system and Linux the kernel is critical. The advent of Android as an alternative to GNU has made the old Stallman/Torvalds polemic highly relevant here. Linux the kernel is GPL v2, but a host of critical OS components in GNU/Linux starting with parts of the GNU toolchain are GPL v3. Android combined with certain BSD tools can be used to create operating systems using the Linux kernel that are subject to tivoization by avoiding the GPL v3 components. If one loosely refers to both kinds of operating systems as "Linux" then confusion will occur. One should also keep in mind that old versions of GNU/Linux 2007 and earlier that preceded the GPL v3 are of course also subject to tivoization. The latter is the reason why Amazon moved from GNU/Linux to Android/Linux for the Kindle after the release of the GPL v3. DRM infections in order to delete works such as George Orwell's 1984 do not work on recent versions of GNU/Linux and Amazon wished to keep the option to control and manipulate its customers.

The Canadian ISP hack attack is a different issue. There again the choice of an ISP is critical. The article does not identify the ISP culprit. The one thing I know here is that avoiding Rogers as an ISP is the prudent thing to do. We recently saw a Canadian Bitcoin exchange hacked because of the incompetence of Rogers at the data centre level.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Jungian
Legendary

Activity: 930
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 09:43:01 PM

Something feels not right about this coin.

Hardcore proof right there!

I think Monero (XMR) is very interesting.
https://moneroeconomy.com/faq/why-monero-matters
darlidada

Activity: 723
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 09:51:42 PM

Browsing bitcointalk, threads about XMR everywhere
Seems they've started their campaign
BLACK PR
Aggressive posting, flooding the discussion
throwing fancy words
MISSIVES
FIRESIDE CHAT
Monero est priquiditas pro populo.
THEY ARE A PR MACHINE
cook book : whale support
A reptile is backing XMR
SNAKE OIL
This is all smoke and mirrors
Why can't everybody just buy BCN ?
smoke and mirrors, smoke and mirrors

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2014, 09:58:00 PM

Monero is very suspicious coin. I hear developer hardcode in 5 million xmr in their own wallets. Is it true???  Huh
Really? This is pure nonsense.
If the code is open source then you can't hardcode it into it and hide it from the others.
Obviously it's not true, stop believing rumors or spreading FUD; whichever you're trying to do.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 09:58:39 PM

Monero is very suspicious coin. I hear developer hardcode in 5 million xmr in their own wallets. Is it true???  Huh
If the code is open source then you can't hardcode it into it and hide it from the others.
Obviously it's not true, stop believing rumors or spreading FUD; whichever you're trying to do.

Obviously a purchased Hero account right there.

So much scam.

Hypothesis 2 is accepted. Monero's trades are artificial.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2014, 10:00:08 PM

So much scam.

Yeah it seemed suspicious to me as well due to the way that he posted. I just didn't want to point it out before checking his whole account, for which I do not have time (right now).
You might as well remove the trust that you put on him in this case.
Someone is trying to manipulate everything, luckily it's not working (for now).

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 10:05:49 PM

So much scam.

Yeah it seemed suspicious to me as well due to the way that he posted. I just didn't want to point it out before checking his whole account, for which I do not have time (right now).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parody

TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 10:06:16 PM

I think KoziTwo trying to make funny joke.

He has proudhon DNA somehow.

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 10:06:44 PM

So much scam.

Man, lighten up. That's pretty obvious sarcasm in my book.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 10:07:25 PM

So much scam.

LOL. Total communications failure here. I was referring to yours, and both he and I were engaging in parody. I thought it was obvious but you know how these things can go on the Internet.

Kozi is fine, not a purchased account, and worthy of trust AFAIK.

TheKoziTwo
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 10:09:03 PM

BTW selling an account with reputation is equal to scamming in my eyes. I'm not a scammer thus I will never sell my account.

fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2014, 10:10:56 PM

What's your baseline for comparison? Oh that's right - all the other cryptocurrencies that can inherit all the work and broad testing that's gone into Bitcoin over the past 5.5 years. Makes perfect sense, carry on then.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2014, 10:11:09 PM

LOL. Total communications failure here. I was referring to yours, and both he and I were engaging in parody. I thought it was obvious but you know how these things can go on the Internet.

Kozi is fine, not a purchased account, and worthy of trust AFAIK.
Wait a second, you're trying to say that my account was purchased?  Cheesy
Man, lighten up. That's pretty obvious sarcasm in my book.
Sorry I missed this completely, the insomnia is killing me. Well he should have made it clear actually, since people (a few known trolls) might actually try using this again Monero (even though it's nonsense).

BTW selling an account with reputation is equal to scamming in my eyes. I'm not a scammer thus I will never sell my account.
There was error in communication and my perception.
I apologize. Good thinking there!

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 10:15:28 PM

What's your baseline for comparison? Oh that's right - all the other cryptocurrencies that can inherit all the work and broad testing that's gone into Bitcoin over the past 5.5 years. Makes perfect sense, carry on then.

Spoiler alert.

Hypothesis 3 is accepted. Monero's developers are not capable of developing the coin

No need to wait for part 3 now. /thread

saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 10:30:28 PM

Monero is very suspicious coin. I hear developer hardcode in 5 million xmr in their own wallets. Is it true???  Huh

I think he was making a joke of the classic line in the FUD handbook, "I heard X...is it true???" At least it made me laugh.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »
  Print  

Jump to: