Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:51:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... 139 »
  Print  
Author Topic: delete  (Read 165493 times)
Hilux74
Legendary

Activity: 912
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 05:30:42 PM

No I do not believe from memory that he gave a timeline on the DGC threat.  It is more like a looming storm on the horizon.  Different reasoning behind the threat as well.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2014, 05:38:39 PM

any mitigation and understanding gained may help improve the CN technology.

Exactly right.  If there are one or more vulnerabilities in CN, BCX is just the messenger delivering the news (and cheap notes nomnomnom).

Sometimes adversity is a blessing in disguise as after the dust settles you have more than you had before things happened.

Bitcoin has had tons of adversity and look at where it is now. So had LTC...very similar outcome over time.

I agree. I like monero and i want it to be attacked.

Me too.  This is the second opportunity this month for Monero to demonstrate antifragility.  If it survives, it becomes a crypto juggernaut.

Besides, the entertainment is priceless.   Grin

We've looking at an epic grudge match of BCX versus the Dream Team of TFM, James777, RP, CZ, and the 7 XMR core devs.

No matter what, this nerd battle royale gun be gud!

A) Plot twist: nothing happens
B) Plot twist: something happens but XMR survives
C) Plot twist: something happens and XMR dies

It's on like Tron.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
vuduchyld

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 06:02:00 PM

[

Not trying to pick on this post at all, because I think this probably covers the options, but I would add that there are a lot of non-binary outcomes that are very possible (errr...non-trinary?)

Nothing happens could be supplanted by nothing happens...right NOW.  BCX could come back and say that the XMR team has shown the commitment to fixing things, so I'm not going to attack it right now.  He could give them some credit for progress and say he's still keeping an eye on things.  Kind of allows everybody to save a little face.  But he could very well say that they haven't completely addressed the issue and that he might still do something at a later date.

Something happens could be a lot of possibilities.  BCX could possibly kill the coin or expose a flaw that eliminates anonymity.  This might come close to killing it, or the MEW team could still figure out a way to leverage their developed whale community...if there is some other differentiated use that comes to light for XMR.

It could be a 51% / TimeWarp attack that succeeds, temporarily, and causes the MEW team to execute a rollback.  Doesn't kill the coin.  People will be watching the MEW team response and judging the future of XMR by that.  Could be that BCX even comes out and gives them a post-attack vote of confidence, allowing, once again, everybody to save some face. 

One could also imagine some disputed outcomes.  BCX might say that something happened, whereas the MEW team says it didn't.  Depending on the issue, most of us might not ever even really know.  We'll just be trying to decode responses from TFM/AM and the rest of the team to help us understand.  I'm speaking mostly for myself, here, but there are certainly technical issues beyond my easy reach. 

These are just a few examples of non-definitive outcomes.  If I had to guess at it, I'd say the possibility of a non-definitive outcome is pretty high.  We'll all still probably be trying to figure out what the hell happened come Wednesday. 

I really think that a non-definitive outcome that gives everybody a chance to walk away with reputations somewhat intact is a likely outcome.

Oscilson

Activity: 434

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 06:09:41 PM

Well BCX said he was going to destroy the half dead piddly hashrate Digitalcoin (DGC) a few months back which unfortunately never occurred, though BCX still mentions it as an imminent event with the same baited breath used with XMR.  So is it just bark and no bite?  XMR would take a few order of magnitude more resources to attack than DGC so there would have to be more incentive than just muscle flexing.  Maybe BCX could at least follow through on wiping DGC off the planet as a show of good faith that he will follow through with an attack on XMR.  Wink

Did he give a timeline - like 72 hours?

Yes,about 27 hours from now.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2014, 06:11:44 PM

Not trying to pick on this post at all, because I think this probably covers the options, but I would add that there are a lot of non-binary outcomes that are very possible (errr...non-trinary?)

I really think that a non-definitive outcome that gives everybody a chance to walk away with reputations somewhat intact is a likely outcome.

Cheesy  OK let's add some Rumsfeldian options

D) Plot twist: something happens, but we don't know it
E) Plot twist: nothing happens, but we think something did
F) Plot twist: total chaos ensues

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
5w00p

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 06:14:21 PM

Nothing happens could be supplanted by nothing happens...right NOW.  BCX could come back and say that the XMR team has shown the commitment to fixing things, so I'm not going to attack it right now.  He could give them some credit for progress and say he's still keeping an eye on things.  Kind of allows everybody to save a little face.  But he could very well say that they haven't completely addressed the issue and that he might still do something at a later date.
These are just a few examples of non-definitive outcomes.  If I had to guess at it, I'd say the possibility of a non-definitive outcome is pretty high.  We'll all still probably be trying to figure out what the hell happened come Wednesday.  

I have to agree wuth vuduchyld.
Seems likely that the drama will unfold in an anti-climactic way and that 13 C X will try and save face and make excuses for why nothing (or not much) happened.

Like black_jesus said, the baby will get his bottle and we can all go back to watching Hee Haw.
generalt
Legendary

Activity: 1096
Merit: 1021

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 06:18:59 PM

Well BCX said he was going to destroy the half dead piddly hashrate Digitalcoin (DGC) a few months back which unfortunately never occurred, though BCX still mentions it as an imminent event with the same baited breath used with XMR.  So is it just bark and no bite?  XMR would take a few order of magnitude more resources to attack than DGC so there would have to be more incentive than just muscle flexing.  Maybe BCX could at least follow through on wiping DGC off the planet as a show of good faith that he will follow through with an attack on XMR.  Wink

I'm not so sure about that.  There are 3 pools that make up like 70% of the hash rate.  One could probably DDoS all three pools at the same time and reduce the hash rate to 30% of what it is.  On top of that some of the attacks I read about in the past only required 20% of the hash rate.

BTC: 1GENERALrtBAjEv2Ps5cmEW1FADnXh1bCZ
vuduchyld

Activity: 364

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 06:27:07 PM

I have to agree wuth vuduchyld.
Seems likely that the drama will unfold in an anti-climactic way and that 13 C X will try and save face and make excuses for why nothing (or not much) happened.

Like black_jesus said, the baby will get his bottle and we can all go back to watching Hee Haw.

To be fair, we really can't know the motivations behind the actions of any of the actors.  I think it's at least possible to imagine that everybody involved had some motivation that wasn't related to FUD and/or greed.  Keep in mind that:

1) This is an anonymous forum, so we don't really know who anybody is
2) Anonymous forums typically lead to inflamed, emotional response.  We've seen quite a bit of that, here, I think
3) Frankly, there is at least one person who probably contributed mightily to this situation who appears to have a significant personality disorder.  I'm not talking about any of the MEW folks or major players, and I won't name him/her, but it's easy to imagine how this person contributed to pissing off BCX.  That person probably has SERIOUS issues, but BCX couldn't have known about that, IMO.
4) Written language is hard to interpret sometimes, then throw in the fact that there may well be non-native English users here.

I'm not trying to defend behaviors, here, but I will say I sure don't understand some of them.  And there is likely a reason behind those behaviors, somewhere.  

And hopefully 72 hours is long enough for emotional response to cool, which should leave most actors looking for face-saving ways OUT of the mess.  Maybe, if we're lucky, the MEW team has even managed to strengthen XMR from a technical standpoint.

Cheesy  OK let's add some Rumsfeldian options

D) Plot twist: something happens, but we don't know it
E) Plot twist: nothing happens, but we think something did
F) Plot twist: total chaos ensues

Heh!
rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 06:31:19 PM

I'm not talking about any of the MEW folks or major players, and I won't name him/her, but it's easy to imagine how this person contributed to pissing off BCX.  That person probably has SERIOUS issues, but BCX couldn't have known about that, IMO.

Maybe I'm in the minority about Moneroman88.  But in my opinion it was easy to tell he was anti monero from the very beginning.  At some point well before BCX telling everyone in the trollbox he was going to take XMR down - BCX KNEW this.  

So.  In my opinion BCX is pretending to be provoked by the fake XMR supporter.

What's actually going on is anyone's best guess.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2014, 07:04:00 PM

Maybe I'm in the minority about Moneroman88.  But in my opinion it was easy to tell he was anti monero from the very beginning.  

That's what he wants you to think he wants you to think.   Wink

G) Plot Twist: XMR enters fog of war.  Nobody can agree on what is or isn't happening, much less how it may effect anything or how best to respond.  Popcorn and coffee supplies run dangerously low.

I sort of wish Martin Armstong would use his prediction model to tell us what will happen, but that would ruin the fun.   Grin

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Moneroman88

Activity: 448
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 07:19:20 PM

Maybe I'm in the minority about Moneroman88.  But in my opinion it was easy to tell he was anti monero from the very beginning.  At some point well before BCX telling everyone in the trollbox he was going to take XMR down - BCX KNEW this.  

This is a BS conspiracy theory. I'm all for XMR and I'm one of the few that know BCX is using his Proof of Words tactic (this is his sole skill), yet certainly not Proof of Action. It's all hot air, see for yourself. We'll all have a great laugh once his wannabe-Attack has failed miserably and Monero's triumph has become clear. On top of that we'll all have scooped up real cheap XMR, so that's one point to be grateful for. Thanks BCX, you retard!
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2014, 07:50:36 PM

This is a BS conspiracy theory. I'm all for XMR and I'm one of the few that know BCX is using his Proof of Words tactic (this is his sole skill), yet certainly not Proof of Action. It's all hot air, see for yourself. We'll all have a great laugh once his wannabe-Attack has failed miserably and Monero's triumph has become clear. On top of that we'll all have scooped up real cheap XMR, so that's one point to be grateful for. Thanks BCX, you retard!

Moneroman88, you are the one that is only words.  BCX mines and has contributed to the community for years, for better or worse.  This is an example of the pot calling the daylight black.  Stop.  You are embarrassing yourself and adding only vitriol, no matter your intent.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 07:54:59 PM

goads and gonads
CryptoPiero

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 08:16:56 PM

Plot twist: BCX focused all the dev attention on Monero, meanwhile he is plotting a more devastating attack on another coin, Nxt for example. As long as MEW devs are busy finding exploits in Monero, he will experiment with Nxt and his malformed blocks go unnoticed. Then he launchs an attack in 72 hours. BOOM !
rfcdejong

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 08:48:43 PM

Observers would be well suited to ignore all the FUD flying round and certain posters intentional misinformation campaign against Monero . Not a single scrap of evidence to back up their claims has been shown. People are using the terms "attack" as if this is an established fact.  IF an attack even exists all we'd have to do to patch the exploit is fix the implementation so it correctly reflects the cryptography in the whitepaper.

This really is the classic good-cop / bad-cop routine.

The crux of the situation is that two posters here, Anonymint and jl777 remained bitter after the Monero community didn't bow down and lick their boots in the fashion they were accustomed to.

That's because their intentions are transparent and don't require their contributions from them shape what is coming. We simply have no requirement nor room for large egos. Monero does not need faux economys plugging into the network as a selling feature.  We have heard the criticisms levied against Monero by Anonymint and addressed them. That may come across as smug however it's not intentionally so, it is just the reality of the situation.

Monero will succeed and these dirty tactics will be forgotten within a matter of days. The market reaction will speak for itself. My life does not revolve around forum debates and there is certainly things I would rather be doing right now than arguing pointlessly about hypothetical exploits.  We are wasting time here even conversing with the trolls when it is better spend on continually improving our ecosystem, but it is a necessity for those more easily mislead who are vulnerable to having their opinions swayed by idle threats. I do not wish to see any of us lose out money to these dirty tactics, hence the reason I am even taking time out to post.

Sorry Anonymint, whilst you may have been a capable coder you're out of line in this occasion and frankly well past your shelf-life.
I grew tired of your  martin armstrong links quite some time ago.  I don't wish to offend you but this has become increasingly tedious. Resorting to Ad hominem attacks reflects poorly on your already fragile reputation.

Who are you broekies? Obviously you created a new account just for this perspicuous post Wink
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 09:18:56 PM

24 hrs to go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ7MH7oecK0
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 09:21:21 PM

Yep, the clock is ticking.

So far there haven't been any security updates: https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero

If BCX is not bluffing, Monero could be in trouble unless they figure it out in he next 24 hours.
robinwilliams

Activity: 112

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 09:26:26 PM

So far there haven't been any security updates: https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero

If BCX is not bluffing, Monero could be in trouble unless they figure it out in he next 24 hours.

Oh god ... we know Monero is going down.  

But give me a break on this BCX reviewed the code and found a vulnerability in the square signatures and can steal wallets  Roll Eyes

guy doesn't even know how to code by self admission   Roll Eyes

hes still gonna blow this shit up so bad ... gunna be fun to watch.  monero not even having a selloff ... whales gonna be stuck with hundreds of btcs of shit people are paying 0.10 on the dollar after the 51% attack.

CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 09:29:58 PM

Oh god ... we know Monero is going down.  

But give me a break on this BCX reviewed the code and found a vulnerability in the square signatures and can steal wallets  Roll Eyes

guy doesn't even know how to code by self admission   Roll Eyes

hes still gonna blow this shit up so bad ... gunna be fun to watch.  monero not even having a selloff ... whales gonna be stuck with hundreds of btcs of shit people are paying 0.10 on the dollar after the 51% attack.

It is possible that he has an accomplice that is the brains behind the operation and BCX has the means.
robinwilliams

Activity: 112

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 09:31:05 PM

It is possible that he has an accomplice that is the brains behind the operation and BCX has the means.

well it was weird how he announced it.  that's how i know he isn't bluffing

he said "i'm not gonna attack twice" then he changed his mind.   Grin

wanna know what dat means?  he knows he can do it - he looked deeper and figured out then decided to Kiss

i still say it's timewarp or 51 ... not decrypting (lol) ring sigs and stealing wallets (rofl)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... 139 »
  Print  

Jump to: