Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 05:19:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 ... 139 »
  Print  
Author Topic: delete  (Read 165493 times)
BlockChains

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 07:52:33 AM

It's just a jump to the left...
Shrikez

Activity: 399
Merit: 263

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 08:01:49 AM

It's just a jump to the left...

...an then a step to the riiiiiiight.

Fond memories!

Die Würde des Menschen ist unantastbar
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 08:09:15 AM

Yawn.. this isn't nearly as entertaining as I thought it would be.

Is Monero being attacked or not? If someone is performing a TW attack is there any way to tell?

From my experience with time warps attacks it takes a couple of days before the symptoms start to occur, but when they do....the chaos is sweet.

~BCX~

Will the devs keep the exchanges locked for days?

If you were successful and if you know the problem can be fixed, so presumably you would buy XMR cheap and ride it back up to recoup your expenses?

I am contemplating that you really didn't want the hassle and risk of this but you were pushed into it as your reputation was slandered?

Except that his reputation is permanently slandered.

Are you forgetting that BCX said he had an exploit, sandbox tested too, that could steal funds from private keys?

Am I dumb, or is this not what a time warp attack is? Even if BCX succeeds in a time warp, his reputation is still ruined, because he lied.

I must be missing half the story.
bclcjunkie

Activity: 833
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 08:13:06 AM

wow.. serious amount of personal info here.. look BCX i don't know what your real motivation is unless you're serving other interests behind you... but just remember things like these don't get buried that easily, this shit will haunt you and you're now at a point where you can turn events to your favor and let community remember you in a good way or you can go full retard and face the consequences... don't pay attention to the trolls that provoke you, they're just using you to push their own shit.. i get it, you proved your point and got the community's attention but for fuck's sake put your skills and resources to good use for once and let community thank you for a long time..  Cheesy

Looking at this thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=794253.0

It seems BCX personal identity is known?

I have no problem with your last post but the ones previous are personally viscous. You and Bitlane found the guy my older sister is married to . In 2006 he funded me with the ability to develop some Ebay affiliate sites. At that time Ebay would not allow people from the Philippines to be a member so I set it up all in his name in the US. I left tracks which was a mistake. All I am asking is that we keep our family members out of this, I think it would probably work out better for both of us.

I have always liked you and really dont want this to go off scale stupid between us. Now you want some more tin foil hat material. Do you not find it odd I am from the Philippines and so is Anonymint and what does this any of this have to do with TAG?

Now for some more eerie coincidence, did you know that you and I are born on the same day (Feb 18) but you're a year older than me. I turned 30 this year. BTW my real name is Heracleo but all my friends call me Leo.

So any chance we can operate within the defined parameters?

You must have me confused with someone else. I never brought family members into the mix. Please link me to where I have done this as I am pretty sure I never had a reason to drag others into something I did not create (I.e. your attack on litecoin).

If you remember correctly the post you ended up making under the "danny maddox" username was to distract from your inability to execute your claimed "attack" on Litecoin at the time.

Please link me to the posts you believe I was "vicious" towards you recently.

In the same manner I have had little reason to be "against" you. But in all things actions speak louder than anything said hence my linking you to the old posts I did.

My stance on your XMR exploit is not personal at all. Let us not mix the two.
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 08:18:13 AM

wow.. serious amount of personal info here.. look BCX i don't know what your real motivation is unless you're serving other interests behind you... but just remember things like these don't get buried that easily, this shit will haunt you and you're now at a point where you can turn events to your favor and let community remember you in a good way or you can go full retard and face the consequences... don't pay attention to the trolls that provoke you, they're just using you to push their own shit.. i get it, you proved your point and got the community's attention but for fuck's sake put your skills and resources to good use for once and let community thank you for a long time..  Cheesy

I really don't understand this attitude. If Monero can be killed by one dude, then it's not worth investing in.

Pleading for him to stop is illogical, BCX must push on and do his best, that way the Monero team can learn and become stronger.

Monero must be tested.

BCX has not proved his point, I see no attack thus far.

I want to see how this plays out.
TheFascistMind

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 08:40:11 AM

Yawn.. this isn't nearly as entertaining as I thought it would be.

Is Monero being attacked or not? If someone is performing a TW attack is there any way to tell?

From my experience with time warps attacks it takes a couple of days before the symptoms start to occur, but when they do....the chaos is sweet.

~BCX~

Will the devs keep the exchanges locked for days?

If you were successful and if you know the problem can be fixed, so presumably you would buy XMR cheap and ride it back up to recoup your expenses?

I am contemplating that you really didn't want the hassle and risk of this but you were pushed into it as your reputation was slandered?

Except that his reputation is permanently slandered.

Are you forgetting that BCX said he had an exploit, sandbox tested too, that could steal funds from private keys?

Am I dumb, or is this not what a time warp attack is? Even if BCX succeeds in a time warp, his reputation is still ruined, because he lied.

I must be missing half the story.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=786201.msg8861544#msg8861544

Quote from: BitcoinEXpress
n XMR there exist a flaw involving the keyrings that under the right conditions will allow an attacker to steal your wallets and hijack your addresses. To fix this, anonymity will need to be sacrificed.

That doesn't sound like stealing wallets by running a TW attack to reset the coinbase mining rewards, which is another way to erase wallets.

There is one possible interpretation where if it is possible to so mix up the txs with rings during the TW attack, so it makes it impossible to unwind it. But I doubt that is what he meant above.

Note my post yesterday that I sent a new math insight to the devs. I did not confirm anything, but I guess there is an extremely unlikely chance someone found a way to break private keys. I assume the mathematicians are looking at it.

Note the original title of this thread was saying I confirmed the exploit. And when I posted in this thread noting that there are two simultaneous equations, that is when BCX said "exactly" he must do the attack because presumably I revealed too much about the exploit.

The mathematicians showed the two simultaneous equations is equivalent to Diffie-Helman exchange thus not broken. I responded with a third simultaneous equations over an orthogonal number space (afaik multiplication and subtraction do not inhabit the same field). Since then I have discovered another similar insight which I informed the developers about. My current math abilities are such that I don't know if I can be of more assistance on that.
TheFascistMind

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 08:54:35 AM
Last edit: September 24, 2014, 09:08:51 AM by TheFascistMind

Cross-posting...

Yep I agree, this is an awesome coin.

~BCX~

Are you qualified to evaluate an anonymity algorithm that isn't even adequately described?

http://neoscoin.com/whitepaper/neoscoin.pdf

http://www.coinssource.com/neoscoin-is-a-different-breed-of-digital-currency/

Afaik, Cloakcoin, Darkcoin, jl777's Telepods, BTCD, and this (Neocon) are all suffering in one way or another from serious Sybil or DoS (on the anonymity, e.g. see what is happening to Bitmessage now) vulnerabilities. Their algorithms are also continually being "refined" which means to me "changing".

If they ever formally and technically fully specify their algorithms, then I can evaluate if their algorithms can be de-anonymized. Based on past digging, I think that (de-anonymization via Sybil or DoS) is very likely.

I am not saying their experiments are not worthy. But they are experiments and not well specified (yet).

Add:

Will be useful to develop a whitepaper comparing CN anonymity to off chain anonymity. The recent insight I provided might be helpful for quantifying this comparison.

I can contribute to such a whitepaper.
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 08:54:38 AM

My current math abilities are such that I don't know if I can be of more assistance on that.

Well you're way ahead of me.

If the mathematicians that looked over the CryptoNote whitepaper missed what you have found, does that mean that perhaps there are no other people who can actually look into this with any degree of expertise?

If so, the Monero team must approach the wider Cryptography community for assistance.

I wonder if we can pay Bruce Schneier to have a look? He might solve the issue in a heartbeat.
TheFascistMind

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 09:01:04 AM
Last edit: September 24, 2014, 09:13:15 AM by TheFascistMind

If the mathematicians that looked over the CryptoNote whitepaper missed what you have found, does that mean that perhaps there are no other people who can actually look into this with any degree of expertise?

That doesn't mean they don't have the expertise. They probably weren't looking at what I had the insight on. Now they can look because insight has been shared with them. I believe they only considered the two simultaneous equations, because that is what they were told to look at. Or they did see those extra equations and dismissed them as irrelevant for some reason.

Different people have different epiphanies at different times. I am out of practice on math because I don't use it in programming much. That was nearly 3 decades ago that I was in university. Cryptography gives me a chance to use it more, but I find that a lot of concepts slipped away from me over the years. Might be an age effect. They say our peak ability to discover new math is in our 20s or at most 30s. By 40s, we are reduced to being managers and teachers. I am trying to prove to myself this is not so and I pushing 50. Worsened by being out-of-practice, unlike for example Bruce Schneier.
netmonk

Activity: 219
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2014, 09:12:26 AM

Note the original title of this thread was saying I confirmed the exploit. And when I posted in this thread noting that there are two simultaneous equations, that is when BCX said "exactly" he must do the attack because presumably I revealed too much about the exploit.

The mathematicians showed the two simultaneous equations is equivalent to Diffie-Helman exchange thus not broken. I responded with a third simultaneous equations over an orthogonal number space (afaik multiplication and subtraction do not inhabit the same field). Since then I have discovered another similar insight which I informed the developers about. My current math abilities are such that I don't know if I can be of more assistance on that.

No offence there, but is it possible to have a more formal explanation of what you have discovered.
Talking in blured shadow turns things understandable.

I can understand the math, to feel free to really enter into details.

Thanks you in advance !
bclcjunkie

Activity: 833

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 09:13:37 AM

it was just a friendly advice but not out of fear that he or she would succeed... my faith in monero is stronger then ever, the only concern i have is this whole drama wastes our developers' time when they can spend it on other pending things and move things forward... well i guess "forced evolution" was meant to happen and this will bring profound long terms benefits to monero...     

I really don't understand this attitude. If Monero can be killed by one dude, then it's not worth investing in.

Pleading for him to stop is illogical, BCX must push on and do his best, that way the Monero team can learn and become stronger.

Monero must be tested.

BCX has not proved his point, I see no attack thus far.

I want to see how this plays out.
TheFascistMind

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 09:15:01 AM

No offence there, but is it possible to have a more formal explanation of what you have discovered.

Thanks you in advance !

Please ask smooth for the last insight, because I didn't want to share it publicly until they have evaluated it and are ready to refute or fix it publicly. And you may read my upthread posts which revealed the terse formal details of the prior insights.
sickpig
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 09:16:36 AM

It might have mentioned that BitcoinEXpress threatened in the trollbox, but that the verification of identity post was deleted, and that other aliases were used in the trollbox in the manner and style of BCX to express vague threats to the exchange, creating a generalized plausible deniability of the link between the trollbox and BCT identities (and hence providing deniability to the link between BCT's "BCX" and poloniex's "BCX".
It might have mentioned that other mitigation efforts were ongoing, to defuse the risk of any hypothetical pending attack.  It might have mentioned the (textual evidence) that BCX was a known person, a U.S. resident, and that the actual act threatened would be a federal crime in the U.S.  I found these aspects to be important elements of the real-life drama.

agreed on both points

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
TheFascistMind

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 09:21:07 AM

Thanks you in advance !

not him but give a look: http://lab.monero.cc/pubs/multiple_equations_attack.pdf

My response:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=789978.msg8942201#msg8942201
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 11:33:33 AM

Attack denied  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

i have a new wallpaper now :p
TinEye

Activity: 639
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 12:48:20 PM

That was a no show. Was hoping for some fun. Had popcorn ready too.
BCX is probably laughing at the price swing.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                                                                   ▄█████████                  ██████
                                                                   ███    ███                 ██   ██
         ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████    ██████████████████████   ████████▀
        ██            ▄█          █▄                 █▄          ███            █▄          █        ▄██▀
       ██            ██           ███                ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ███            ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ██   █████▀
       ██   █████    ██   ████   ████   ██     ██    ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██    ██████   ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██   ████▀
      ██    █████   ██    ████   ████   ██     ██   ██          ███   ██████   ██          ██   ████▀
      ██            ██           ███   ███    ███   ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀███            ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀██   ▀▀▀████
      ███           ██▄            █   ██     ██    ██▄          █             ▀█▄          ██      ███
       █████████   ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
      ██           ██
    ██▀           ███
  ████████████████▀
CryptoCarmen

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 12:57:08 PM

he got at least 500 BTC of cheap Moneros to trade in 2 weeks time at double price. Or he wil hold to get 10 times profit soon. Who knows.
All this newbie accounts shilling and trolling and FUDing was his "friends in crime". Rich people, want to get richer.  Attack started a week or 2 ago and ended 2 days ago.

But thing is, they expected with all this effort they put in to get their Moneros at 0.001BTC.
TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 01:36:18 PM

The price swing in Stolli is not bothering BCX, that's for sure.  His problem is keeping his permanent clown hat dry the next time he collapses in the lonely pool of vomit, stolli, tears and piss he calls a bed.

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 01:53:05 PM

id laugh if price tanks so they make no money
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2014, 02:24:03 PM

You'll excuse the curt reply, but I'm just going to infodump from IRC, as we're quite tight on time -

[15:48:52] sarang: I can't prove a negative
[15:48:54] sarang: that's the trouble
[15:49:05] sarang: I can't say "there is no way to use three equations like that to recover x, here's proof"
[15:49:11] sarang: I can only say "there are no known ways to do so"
[15:49:36] sarang: The onus is on him. Unfortunately, if the world wants us to counter it with Magic Negative Proof, then they'll be disappointed
[15:50:37] sarang: But, let me review out loud
[15:50:45] sarang: We know I=xH(P) is one equation
[15:51:36] sarang: We know r=q-cx is another
[15:51:50] sarang: and we know x=H(aR)+b is a third
[15:52:00] sarang: You have, indeed, three equations for x
[15:52:19] sarang: How many unknowns is important here (though the security of ECDLP is important too)
[15:53:25] sarang: Unknowns are x itself, q, c, a, b, and technically r since it's indexed
[15:53:40] sarang: Given three equations and six unknowns, he can go right back to the drawing board
[15:56:43] sarang: So my answer to him would be that the private key is obscured in all cases by either the ECDLP or random affine goodness
[15:57:06] sarang: and that the three equations means that you STILL have three extra degrees of freedom
[15:57:41] sarang: and the degrees of freedom are carefully chosen from random distributions
[15:57:55] sarang: If he has an actual attack or a suggestion of how to reduce the parameter space, fine, share it
[15:58:21] sarang: But we don't spend our time proving negatives... we review carefully and hunt down any flaws we see that seem reasonable given our expertise
[15:59:42] sarang: If he wants to argue with linear algebra or the ECDLP, he can go right ahead
[15:59:48] sarang: Those are better listeners anyway
[16:00:28] sarang: We don't need to explain how linear algebra works anyway... it's assumed the whitepaper is written for someone who knows what all those little symbols mean
[16:02:56] sarang: Real mathematicians don't rub unknowns in people's faces. They point out flaws and offer constructive input
[16:06:31] sarang: Oh, and the equations use different base points, so you gain no benefit from a common base point

Pages: « 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 ... 139 »
  Print  

Jump to: