Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:45:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER C1 Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 128903 times)
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 11:51:50 PM

Are there any recommended fan replacements from the default ones?? The C1 is a little nosier than they said it would be.

Silverstone SST-FHP141
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2015, 05:17:33 AM

you diluted too much the fluid or it does not have enough alcohol or glycol in it
look for some biocide or antimicrobial or anti algae
i use vodka Grin

Nothing was diluted. The coolant came pre-mixed with a biocide already in it. No mixing.

And the best thing I heard is distilled water and then using those silver shards. I heard someone ran a system for 5 years without replacing the coolant. I think that's what I'm going to try.

Water + copper + aluminium = galvanic corrosion = no go for C1s. Nothing to stop you adding a silver shard to your current setup as far as I'm aware. Do put a sponge in there as well, the last thing you want is the pump to ingest it Tongue

I want to get my one problematic C1 fixed. If I tighten the fill hole on top of the pump it will start leaking and build so much pressure and possibly blow the loop. If I keep the fill hole open, no leaks. What is the easiest way to troubleshoot and find out if this system has a leak or a small hole somewhere sucking in air? Air HAS to be getting into the system somehow. I'm willing to run, if possible, the entire miner out of the black box, but there seriously is a problem. For warranty purposes the only thing I could do is tighten the fill hole and then when it starts to build enough pressure and make noise I'll record a small video showing me opening the fill hole.

Is there anyplace the coolant can leak out while inside the aluminum block, or just in the front where they connect with that little rubber hose?

I could be wrong on this so Dogie please confirm.   But I believe the block should not have a spot to leak out.   The two holes should be it on where it allows coolant out.

Looking at the pictures I can't see a seaon on the block, but at the same time I can't see any other way they'd be manufactured. They should be two pieces of flat plate, routed out then sealed together but there is no evidence of that. So.... investment cast? To answer your question then, it doesn't look like it.

But either way, if you're leaking from the block you should see coolant in the bottom of the case, even if its only a stain.

dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2015, 05:28:22 AM

Are there any recommended fan replacements from the default ones?? The C1 is a little nosier than they said it would be.

Huh? Noisy? They aren't noisy at all.

They can get noisy if temps go up, such as one radiator blowing directly into another. I'd recommend adding some quiet 120mm fans to the back of the radiator / trying to give it better / cooling airflow than touching the units fan. That itself will reduce noise, hopefully sufficiently what you want.

Didldak

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

Oh boy!

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 07:43:30 AM

Get a fan speed regulator and set the C1 fan on minimum level. I have this in +24C ambient and it keeps it running < 50C.
OR I have been running with opened C1 chassis without a fan, also < 50C. Dont let the C1 regulate its fan, its too damn noisy Sad

Hey.. watsup.
opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2015, 09:20:45 AM

you diluted too much the fluid or it does not have enough alcohol or glycol in it
look for some biocide or antimicrobial or anti algae
i use vodka Grin

Nothing was diluted. The coolant came pre-mixed with a biocide already in it. No mixing.

And the best thing I heard is distilled water and then using those silver shards. I heard someone ran a system for 5 years without replacing the coolant. I think that's what I'm going to try.

Water + copper + aluminium = galvanic corrosion = no go for C1s. Nothing to stop you adding a silver shard to your current setup as far as I'm aware. Do put a sponge in there as well, the last thing you want is the pump to ingest it Tongue

I want to get my one problematic C1 fixed. If I tighten the fill hole on top of the pump it will start leaking and build so much pressure and possibly blow the loop. If I keep the fill hole open, no leaks. What is the easiest way to troubleshoot and find out if this system has a leak or a small hole somewhere sucking in air? Air HAS to be getting into the system somehow. I'm willing to run, if possible, the entire miner out of the black box, but there seriously is a problem. For warranty purposes the only thing I could do is tighten the fill hole and then when it starts to build enough pressure and make noise I'll record a small video showing me opening the fill hole.

Is there anyplace the coolant can leak out while inside the aluminum block, or just in the front where they connect with that little rubber hose?

I could be wrong on this so Dogie please confirm.   But I believe the block should not have a spot to leak out.   The two holes should be it on where it allows coolant out.

Looking at the pictures I can't see a seaon on the block, but at the same time I can't see any other way they'd be manufactured. They should be two pieces of flat plate, routed out then sealed together but there is no evidence of that. So.... investment cast? To answer your question then, it doesn't look like it.

But either way, if you're leaking from the block you should see coolant in the bottom of the case, even if its only a stain.

Ok, here is what I did. I closed up my fill hole, so now technically the loop is sealed. I put white paper towels down underneath the pump and miner. I'll check it often. Eventually I will start to see the white paper towel turn green in some spots under the pump and under the miner. That could easily be the high pressure this particular C1 creates when the loop is closed. How that is happening, I have no clue. I took pictures of when everything was white and clean and when things start to leak I'll record a small video on opening the fill hole.  You won't believe the pressure that builds up in that loop. While all my other C1's are fine. Same coolant, same pump, same everything, same closed fill hole.

Also dogie you said "Water + copper + aluminium = galvanic corrosion = no go for C1s" well the coolant you suggested, that Ironside brand from Amazon is just distilled water and a biocide premix. What's the difference with me using my own distilled water?

I added the pictures of the pump and miner sitting on white clean towels. Thanks for the coolant being green, real easy to spot on a white paper towel.

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2015, 09:31:23 AM

Also dogie you said "Water + copper + aluminium = galvanic corrosion = no go for C1s" well the coolant you suggested, that Ironside brand from Amazon is just distilled water and a biocide premix. What's the difference with me using my own distilled water?

Its not ideal but its double distilled and then sealed, which will get you further than mixing distilled solutions up.

mavericklm

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 09:57:31 AM

Maybe you should post in an pc watercooling forum, there are a lot of experienced guys in there

U should open the wc loop and take out that stuff, to see exactly what it is:
slimy = algae
mineral = aluminium
Dezurah

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 11:25:38 AM

Get a fan speed regulator and set the C1 fan on minimum level. I have this in +24C ambient and it keeps it running < 50C.
OR I have been running with opened C1 chassis without a fan, also < 50C. Dont let the C1 regulate its fan, its too damn noisy Sad

Cheers, do you recommend any particular fan controller?
AbuGarcia

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 06:08:16 PM
Last edit: January 27, 2015, 07:47:39 PM by AbuGarcia

Enough with this piddly little radiator shiat.  I sick and tired of reading how their "little pumps" are failing.  Those pumps aren't meant to meet the demand of 24/7 bitcoin mining use.  They are made for PC's.

I had got my idea from this genius:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=853669.0

and here is my setup:

this can take up to 10-12 c1's.  I've connected only 4 just as a proof of concept.
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2015, 07:57:19 PM

Enough with this piddly little radiator shiat.  I sick and tired of reading how their "little pumps" are failing.  Those pumps aren't meant to meet the demand of 24/7 bitcoin mining use.  They are made for PC's.

I had got my idea from this genius:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=853669.0

and here is my setup:
this can take up to 10-12 c1's.  I've connected only 4 just as a proof of concept.

I'm sure some of the Chinese mines are running CRAZY setups. Would you run 12 in parallel, series or a combination?

AbuGarcia

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 08:19:39 PM

Coolant ->in should always be in parallel, same goes for coolant out.  The water block design is made such that once flow through the orifice is calculated, the feeder trunk should have a certain pressure and head maintained.

This current pump can do up to 21ft of head, 3-4gpm.  Pump type wilo star 21.  It is perfectly suited for this application. Ebay for about 65$ US new. 

If anyone is interested I can create a BOM and people can use it. 
opentoe
Legendary

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2015, 10:45:22 PM

Ok, please watch this youtube video I made of my pump spewing out the coolant only after one night. This was with the fill hole closed of course. If the fill hole was open, there would be no way for the pressure to build up.

http://youtu.be/15kbEGTvnqE

I'm not sure this place allows videos to be embedded into the post, I doubt it, but here it is. It is 720P, so it is hi-def if you want to change it while watching. Can anyone explain how all that pressure gets in the system? And the green under the miner itself is from a leak somewhere, which I think is from the aluminum block and that in itself is sucking in air when the fill hole is closed. I have to get this fixed.

Bitmainwarranty, I'm going to need somekind of RMA for this. This shouldn't happen.

EDIT: The green coolant leak that's right in front of the miner ( as you can see it is green ) only happens when the fill cap it fully closed. If the fill cap is open, nothing leaks out and the paper towel stays white.

Didldak

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

Oh boy!

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 10:54:35 PM

Cheers, do you recommend any particular fan controller?

http://www.amazon.com/Scythe-Kaze-3-5-Fan-Controller/dp/B002JH1ARY

This one. I have connected all fans into it - three on the radiator and one on the C1 unit. Works 24/7 for some time now, without any probs Smiley

Hey.. watsup.
IITravel01

Activity: 338
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 11:18:12 PM

Ok, please watch this youtube video I made of my pump spewing out the coolant only after one night. This was with the fill hole closed of course. If the fill hole was open, there would be no way for the pressure to build up.

I'm not sure this place allows videos to be embedded into the post, I doubt it, but here it is. It is 720P, so it is hi-def if you want to change it while watching. Can anyone explain how all that pressure gets in the system? And the green under the miner itself is from a leak somewhere, which I think is from the aluminum block and that in itself is sucking in air when the fill hole is closed. I have to get this fixed.

Bitmainwarranty, I'm going to need somekind of RMA for this. This shouldn't happen.

EDIT: The green coolant leak that's right in front of the miner ( as you can see it is green ) only happens when the fill cap it fully closed. If the fill cap is open, nothing leaks out and the paper towel stays white.

Heat causes the liquid to expand causing the pressure.  These pumps can't handle the pressure, that's why I believe mine failed.
mavericklm

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 11:22:44 PM

Bitmain and/or syscooling should just take this c1 to investigate what is wrong with it! and give you another ''new'' one
tarmi
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 11:56:47 PM

I am having the same problem with one of my C1. if the fill hole on the pump is open I have no leaking, but if I close it after some time I get a leak. the pressure builds up from the heat.

sometimes I have a leakage where the reservoair is, but sometimes I have a leakage in the aluminum block somewhere.

any solution to this problem bitmain?
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 12:08:20 AM

Heat causes the liquid to expand causing the pressure.  These pumps can't handle the pressure, that's why I believe mine failed.

Not in this case, he said he preheated the coolant before closing it.

So because you're coolant level returns after you open it, its NOT expansion, and as far as we know its NOT a leak. What you have going on there is the algae or whatever it is producing gas. That's why you're getting bubbles accumulating and that's why you're getting the pressure build up.

Edit: I agree with your assertation that the 'leak' on the miner is a by product of the excess pressure rather than a leak leak per se.

opentoe
Legendary

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 05:24:33 AM

Heat causes the liquid to expand causing the pressure.  These pumps can't handle the pressure, that's why I believe mine failed.

Not in this case, he said he preheated the coolant before closing it.

So because you're coolant level returns after you open it, its NOT expansion, and as far as we know its NOT a leak. What you have going on there is the algae or whatever it is producing gas. That's why you're getting bubbles accumulating and that's why you're getting the pressure build up.

Edit: I agree with your assertation that the 'leak' on the miner is a by product of the excess pressure rather than a leak leak per se.

So you are going to chalk this up to algae, when I have 5 other C1's with running with no problems at all. Then especially hearing from another person having the same problem right after my post indicates there may be some issue. And the coolant that's in there now is only 2 days old. I completely dumped all the old coolant when I switched my hose/pump. And that was only 2 days old. There is a problem with this miner. Algae is just a quick excuse to blame it on something we don't know about yet.

mavericklm

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 08:17:54 AM

Open the loop and take that stuff out on a piece of paper!!!
or continue chatting with the bitmain employee and have 0 results!!!
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 11:51:14 AM

So you are going to chalk this up to algae, when I have 5 other C1's with running with no problems at all. Then especially hearing from another person having the same problem right after my post indicates there may be some issue. And the coolant that's in there now is only 2 days old. I completely dumped all the old coolant when I switched my hose/pump. And that was only 2 days old. There is a problem with this miner. Algae is just a quick excuse to blame it on something we don't know about yet.

Huh I was explaining the symptoms, I never said it was your fault or anyone elses. Anyway, the buildup of gas you demonstrated in the video is due photosynthesis. How long ago did you purchase?

Pages: « 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »
  Print  

Jump to: