Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:51:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 ... 470 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] FACTOM - Introducing Honesty to Record-Keeping  (Read 2115842 times)
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2016, 11:19:27 PM

Yes.  I just permanently keep my Factom lent out.  That way it is at least slowly growing as opposed to doing nothing.

So you're one of those keeping the daily loan rate below 0.01%!  Smiley

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Soul_eater_123
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
May 06, 2016, 11:48:04 PM

Yes.  I just permanently keep my Factom lent out.  That way it is at least slowly growing as opposed to doing nothing.

So you're one of those keeping the daily loan rate below 0.01%!  Smiley

I wish I could afford to keep the interest rate down and still profit.  No I have it spread out across the different levels hoping that the rate will gradually go up!  Sometimes they all manage to get lent out, sometimes only small amounts at the lower levels.  Sadly nothing above 0.01 has worked thus far but maybe over time that will happen.
Nxtblg
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2016, 11:51:52 PM

I very much doubt that the Factom team cares what happens on here at all.  They only needed us during the ICO phase so that they could raise the BTC they needed.

Right now they are creating a legitimate business and are more interested in courting large corporations and governments to grow the business further.  The Factom price or the support of the crypto community is irrelevant to them and time spent on here only detracts from them making more deals in the real world.

That's the way things are going right now, sad to say. The grassroots base is slowly turning into "Amateur Hour." Undecided

But to cheer everyone up, I thought of a use case that's so homey it's almost embarrassing: using entry credits to record test scores. Have you ever taken a typing course? If so, do you find it hard to proofread? It occurred to me that running your typing practice through an SHA2 hasher would make proofreading less difficult.

Case in point:

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

SHA256-hash this and you get:
05DCCD6699F2D854F5D53B5284245C1CC6D78B9D38BE21B0998363DAB465D0B6

Now looky at this version:

Quote from: An Intrepid Typist
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

Not that easy to find the mistake, is it? In fact, it's not that easy via inspection to see if there is a mistake. Well, with SHA256 on our side, we get:
0330590C58DAA75D144D2F3EF22AC504788F66B4E3A7A20600383731A1C2A9B7

With the hash, it's almost absurdly easy to see that the typed snippet doesn't match Lincoln's original [Bloom version, for the pedants in the house.] Granted that it still takes the looky-pokey to discover the missing comma, but at least it's clear that there is a mistake.

And if the hashes match, our intrepid typist knows that (s)he got the snippet correct and can move right away to the next sample.

Now, why would hashes be better for typing practice than (say) a widget that flags the errors explicitly? Two reasons:

1. Using that online hasher is almost absurdly easy. If I were to teach myself how to touch-type, I'd use that hash generator over a more complex ding-dong. Partially because:
2. In the real world, we don't have the luxury of a (perhaps custom-programmed) character-granular error flagger. Safe spaces are grand, but...

---------

Now I hope you've already guessed what comes next. With one wee entry credit, an answer for a real graded test becomes immutably part of the blockchain! No more hackey-changey, if you get my drift. Wink

And that kind of world would be a real blessing. Think of a new world where a teacher spotting a testy-changey shenanigan just wags her finger and says "Now, now; you can't get away with that!".... instead of going hysterical, calling in the authorities and getting the kid charged with a crime. Shocked

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Soul_eater_123
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2016, 11:59:06 PM

I very much doubt that the Factom team cares what happens on here at all.  They only needed us during the ICO phase so that they could raise the BTC they needed.

Right now they are creating a legitimate business and are more interested in courting large corporations and governments to grow the business further.  The Factom price or the support of the crypto community is irrelevant to them and time spent on here only detracts from them making more deals in the real world.

That's the way things are going right now, sad to say. The grassroots base is slowly turning into "Amateur Hour." Undecided

But to cheer everyone up, I thought of a use case that's so homey it's almost embarrassing: using entry credits to record test scores. Have you ever taken a typing course? If so, do you find it hard to proofread? It occurred to me that running your typing practice through an SHA2 hasher would make proofreading less difficult.

Case in point:

I've truncated the quote of your post to save space but that is very ingenious and simple.  I'm surprised nobody else has thought of it.  For all we know some government may already be experimenting with using Factom to do this for formal tests.
Nxtblg
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2016, 12:16:20 AM

I've truncated the quote of your post to save space but that is very ingenious and simple.  I'm surprised nobody else has thought of it.  For all we know some government may already be experimenting with using Factom to do this for formal tests.

Thanks! Once I finally get around to learnin' my programming, I'd like to whack around with the idea myself.

tempus
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1128

View Profile
May 07, 2016, 10:09:56 AM

The Blockchain & Future Of Business Records – Brian Deery, Chief Scientist of Factom, Inc.
http://www.the-blockchain.com/2016/05/07/blockchain-future-business-records-brian-deery-chief-scientist-factom-inc/
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1531

View Profile
May 07, 2016, 01:26:26 PM

My dear friends, I do not sell factoids....

I am curious. What price are you considering to be normal. I am increasing my Factoids stake at the moment and I would be interesting to see what other investors thing about the current fair price of Factoids.
whiteorg72

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 07, 2016, 01:30:22 PM
Last edit: May 07, 2016, 01:53:22 PM by whiteorg72

My dear friends, I do not sell factoids....

I am curious. What price are you considering to be normal. I am increasing my Factoids stake at the moment and I would be interesting to see what other investors thing about the current fair price of Factoids.

For me, the normal price would be at least $20 per 1 factoid. It will, but not soon.
If Factom catch up Ethereum, the price will be $70-$85 per 1 factoid. Many do not rule out that it is quite possible that the Factom caught Ethereum approximately through 1 year.
Today factoid 100% is very undervalued. The current price factoid is just a shame for the Factom team.
But I still believe in the Factom team, so do not sell their factoids.
The future will show. Smiley
Soul_eater_123
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2016, 01:50:36 PM

For me, the normal price would be at least $20 per 1 factoid. It will, but not soon.
If Factom catch up Ethereum, the price will be $70-$85 per 1 factoid. Many do not rule out that it is quite possible that the Factom caught Ethereum approximately through 1 year.
Today factoid 100% is very undervalued. The current price factoid is just a shame for the Factom team.

Well it's about a dollar right now so $20 is not really that outrageous.
whiteorg72

View Profile
May 07, 2016, 02:00:12 PM

In winter, I talked about that in spring factoid should cost $3 (this price we've seen), in summer factoid should cost $6 to the end of the year from $9 to $11. This forecast I make in February this year.
tempus
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2016, 02:30:19 PM

Whiteorg72, were u the one dumping 30k batches at the beginning of this month?

My dear friends, I do not sell factoids. I'm waiting for the normal price and I think it will not be soon. As I said before pass away to wait 2 - 4 years until the Factom project attains its strength. So do not worry I'm not dumping factoids and sell their factoids not going for at least another 2 years. Smiley

tempus, I do not keep my factoids on the exchange. So, I do not push the wrong buttons. Grin

Wise decision and glad to hear that! ;-)

P.S.: In two years, pls send me a short warning per PM (24h) before you push the sell-button. Grin
neo1947

Activity: 449

don t touch my Bits

View Profile
May 07, 2016, 09:44:30 PM

hi everybody
in early days l was   a little skeptical what Factom was offering and did invest accordingly( wish l have had invested more in Factoids) all l wanted to see Factom inc s progress over time it look like Factom s progress is very good in general , Factom is pioneering in this record keeping field, regarding to price it s like early days of Bitcoin many did not buy when it was under 10 dollar a piece.
Have a great weekend
Thanks Everybody
crazyivan
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007

DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!

View Profile
May 08, 2016, 05:44:12 AM

In winter, I talked about that in spring factoid should cost $3 (this price we've seen), in summer factoid should cost $6 to the end of the year from $9 to $11. This forecast I make in February this year.

This is not going to happen. Remember, FCT price need to be low so people can get access to entry credits which is important cause it s the sole purpose of Factom. Personally, I do consider to sell everything and move to Etherum.

Much more cooperative development team and they do have an interest to increase the price.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Freckleg

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 08, 2016, 07:17:38 AM

Someone already explained on this forum.

Around 1 mln EC used a month translates in a 2.7$ price of factoids
Around 10  mln EC used in a month translates to 27$ for factoids

Do not know if these prices are correct, but at least there is a very clear link to usage and price.

Given that usage is increasing last months rapidly with new users.....
tempus
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2016, 08:46:08 AM
Last edit: July 29, 2016, 10:12:06 AM by tempus

This is not going to happen. Remember, FCT price need to be low so people can get access to entry credits which is important cause it s the sole purpose of Factom. Personally, I do consider to sell everything and move to Etherum.

Much more cooperative development team and they do have an interest to increase the price.

The price for Factoids has no influence on the price for Entry Credits. The amount of used Entry Credits has an effect on the price of Factoids. It's not even needed to buy Factoids to be able to purchase Entry Credits because it's possible to buy EC's with $. For customers it's not even needed to know about the existence of Factoids. Factoids is something like a system-Currency.

And, just by the way: Some say the holy grail in Crypto is a bulletproof anonymous system. But I believe the holy grail in Crypto is a system in which customers don't even need to touch Cryptocurrencies. ;-) Factom found a very elegant solution to make that possible.

Let's say you want 1 Mio Entry Credits.

Scenario 1: You buy it with Factoids, so you have to buy Factoids first.

1 EC = $0.001 (fixed at this price)
1 Mio EC's = $1000

You buy 914 FCT's (currently each $1.094) and you send those to your EC-Address = 1 Mio EC's.

Scenario 2: You buy EC's with $.

You use your Credit Card to buy it in the Factom-Store (or from somebody else who offers this service) and they send Factoids on your EC-Address.

In both Scenarios the used/converted Factoids are "burned" - out of the system.

The thing about it is simple: The higher the price of Factoids the less Factoids are needed and "burned". If the price for Factoids is down more Factoids are needed for Amount x of Entry Credits.

What does that mean for the Factoids-price and why could it be a good investment?

The more the system is used, the more Entry Credits will be used. The more Entry Credits = the more Factoids will be "burned". At the same time, after Milestone 3, there will be about 73,000 new FCT's each month (payment for federated server).

That means: If Factom should become successful, and let's say there would be a demand for about 1 billion EC's per month, a price of $13.7 per FCT would be needed - otherwise more Factoids per month would be burned than new created.

Calculation:

1 billion EC's * $0.001 = $1 Mio

$1 Mio / 73,000 = $13,69

I can't know if that (a huge demand like that) will happen and if, nobody knows when. But if you think about possible use cases you'll find out: It can be used for a ton of different purposes. And if you read about "Big Data" you'll find out: There is no lack of data and there are a lot of problems to organize data, to secure data, to connect data - in time. Factom offers solutions for all kinds of problems with data - for companies but also for private persons.

Conclusion: It's all about the question if Factom will become successful or not. And I believe that there won't be a way in the middle. If they will become successful I believe: It will be about tons of data and huge amounts of Entry Credits. The reason why I believe that is what is called network-effect. The more it's used the more incentive to use it for others. The more it's used for one purpose, the more incentive to use it for other purposes as well. Because data, especially data-in-time, is nearly always connected in some ways with other data. That's the case for one company and that's the case for whole economies. That's even the case for private persons.

Second Conclusion: If the Factom-team is able to develop it the way it's planned, I see no reason why it shouldn't become successful. The only reason I can think of are competitors with better solutions. But it's not easy to make it better because the base-principle is about simplicity. It has to be stable. In the announcement-post they say: "Factom is most easily understood as a protocol that provides unlimited books of blank paper." That's a nice comparison. Doesn't sound like the next big thing, but blank paper is really useful and it's pretty hard to make it better than blank. ;-)

The rest is a question of applications which has to be userfriendly - but a company that wants to use Factom will develop applications for individual purposes or pay members of Factom to do that.

In my opinion Factom could turn out as the first project in Crypto that will be really useful, solve real problems. Ethereum is a great project but I believe it's possible that it will turn out as "scientific-project". Needed as experience to find out what's possible and what is not and how something like that (smart contracts) can be done or not be done, and where the limits are. In the end it could turn out as not stable enough. It has to face a lot of problems because it's much more complex by design.

Factom is like a stable base on a stable base. At the same time it's very flexible, can anchor in multiple blockchains, can connect with all kinds of useful Applications, and it's even possible to build different Factom-systems on top of Factom - it can grow into other use cases. That's why I believe Factom is the project with the highest potential and, in comparison with ETH for example, it involves less risk.

P.S.: I didn't write this just for you. I believe that a lot of people still don't really understand the "Factoids --> Entry Credit - principle" and how to see Factom in general.
crazyivan
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007

DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!

View Profile
May 08, 2016, 09:06:50 AM

The price for Factoids has no influence on the price for Entry Credits. The amount of used Entry Credits has an effect on the price of Factoids. It's not even needed to buy Factoids to be able to purchase Entry Credits because it's possible to buy EC's with $. For customers it's not even needed to know about existence of Factoids. Factoids is something like a technical Factom-Currency.

And, just by the way: Some say the holy grail in Crypto is a bulletproof anonymous system. But I believe the holy grail in Crypto is a system in which customers don't even need to touch Cryptocurrencies. ;-) Factom found a very elegant solution to make that possible.

1 Mio EC's = $1000

You buy 914 FCT's (currently each $1.094) and you send those to your EC-Address = 1 Mio EC's.

You use your Credit Card to buy it in the Factom-Store (or from somebody else who offers this service) and they send Factoids on your EC-Address.

The thing about it is simple: The higher the price of Factoids the less Factoids are needed and "burned". If the price for Factoids is down more Factoids are needed for Amount x of Entry Credits.

What does that mean for the Factoids-price and why could it be a good investment?

The more the system is used, the more Entry Credits will be used. The more Entry Credits = the more Factoids will be "burned". At the same time, after Milestone 3, there will be about 73,000 new FCT's each month (payment for federated server).

That means: If Factom should become successful, and let's say there would be a demand for about 1 billion EC's per month, a price of $13.7 per FCT would be needed - otherwise more Factoids per month would be burned than new created.

Calculation:

$1 Mio / 73,000 = $13,69

I can't know if that (a huge demand like that) will happen and if, nobody knows when. But if you think about possible use cases you'll find out: It can be used for a ton of different purposes. And if you read about "Big Data" you'll find out: There is no lack of data and there are a lot of problems to organize data, to secure data, to connect data - in time. Factom offers solutions for all kinds of problems with data - for companies but also for private persons.

Conclusion: It's all about the question if Factom will become successful or not. And I believe that there won't be a way in the middle. If they will become successful I believe: It will be about tons of data and huge amounts of Entry Credits. The reason why I believe that is what is called network-effect. The more it's used the more incentive to use it for others. The more it's used for one purpose, the more incentive to use it for other purposes as well. Because data, especially data-in-time, is nearly always connected in some ways with other data. That's the case for one company and that's the case for whole economies. That's even the case for private persons.

Second Conclusion: If the Factom-team is able to develop it the way it's planned, I see no reason why it shouldn't become successful. The only reason I can think of are competitors with better solutions. But it's not easy to make it better because the base-principle is about simplicity. It has to be stable. In the announcement-post they say: "Factom is most easily understood as a protocol that provides unlimited books of blank paper." That's a nice comparison. Doesn't sound like the next big thing, but blank paper is really useful and it's pretty hard to make it better than blank. ;-)

The rest is a question of applications which has to be userfriendly - but a company that wants to use Factom will develop applications for individual purposes or pay members of Factom to do that.

In my opinion Factom could turn out as the first project in Crypto that will be really useful, solve real problems. Ethereum is a great project but I believe it's possible that it will turn out as "scientific-project". Needed as experience to find out what's possible and what is not and how something like that (smart contracts) can be done or not be done, and where the limits are. In the end it could turn out as not stable enough. It has to face a lot of problems because it's much more complex by design.

Factom is like a stable base on a stable base. At the same time it's very flexible, can anchor in multiple blockchains, can connect with all kinds of useful Applications, and it's even possible to build different Factom-systems on top of Factom - it can grow into other use cases. That's why I believe Factom is the project with the highest potential and, in comparison with ETH for example, it involves less risk.

P.S.: I didn't write this just for you. I believe that a lot of people still don't really understand the "Factoids --> Entry Credit - principle" and how to see Factom in general.

Heh. Thx for this explanation and especially P.S part. I could argue a lot about this especially the part about the team, potential success and competitors. However, since I m also a Factom holder I m not going to sabotage my own investment based on my understanding of the problem.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
whiteorg72

View Profile
May 08, 2016, 09:25:15 AM

Tempus as always explained everything perfectly. Thank you for your hard work. Wink
tempus
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2016, 10:38:31 AM

The price for Factoids has no influence on the price for Entry Credits. The amount of used Entry Credits has an effect on the price of Factoids. It's not even needed to buy Factoids to be able to purchase Entry Credits because it's possible to buy EC's with $. For customers it's not even needed to know about existence of Factoids. Factoids is something like a technical Factom-Currency.

1 Mio EC's = $1000

Calculation:

$1 Mio / 73,000 = $13,69

Heh. Thx for this explanation and especially P.S part. I could argue a lot about this especially the part about the team, potential success and competitors. However, since I m also a Factom holder I m not going to sabotage my own investment based on my understanding of the problem.

Nothing wrong to point out your critics. And I doubt that it would have much effect on the price, because those points ppl are critical about are also reasons for an "Investor-selection-process". What I mean with that is: Some are critical about the communication-side. That the team doesn't post too much. Some believe they don't even care much about their Investors. Some believe they should be faster or at least give some more informations about time estimations and so on.

The thing is: Everybody who believes they do it wrong, or at least "more wrong than right" is free to sell and some did that. Those who are too lazy to make deeper research and therefore not being able to see the potential don't even care. It's a take-it-as-it-is-project - or leave it. One sells, another buys, the Factom-team doesn't need to think much about that. This is not a cryptocurrency with the need for a wide distribution. It wouldn't hurt anything if there would be only 50 Factoid-holders. At the same time: The value of Factoids is totally tied to the usefulness of the system itself. They can't do anything better for Factoid-Investors than working on the system and that's what they do. And they also speak with potential customers and they talk to big companies. That's already proven. Even countries. And it's also a safe bet that there is a lot going on they can't talk about.

Take a look what Tiana Laurence says here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBnZoZtkoa8&feature=youtu.be&t=37m

"So much is happening, we just can't talk about....you are such a jerk...!" ;-)

I really like that part.

It's about non-disclosure agreements which means: Negotiations they are not allowed to talk about - until there is an agreement and then there will be an announcement.

Or take a look here, what Paul Snows says:

https://youtu.be/1noFK6M8ktU?t=1h6m14s

Out of Investor-perspective there are just 2 questions:

1. Are they honest?
2. Do they have the skills to deliver?

Yes and yes - that's my opinion. More is not needed.

And what I also believe: If you think about their perspective: They work hard... why should they work for those who just want to make a quick buck. If they would want it, they could cause a buy-panic and the price would go x 5 in 24 hours. Wouldn't even need much work for that. It's just a question of enough people who say the "right" things. Paycoin was pretty good in leading people into buying their crap. It doesn't need much more than a smart use of words like "soon" and "big things are coming" blablabla.

If the Factom-team would want that, it would be easy for them. Wouldn't even need fancy design or expensive PR. And different to Paycoin they wouldn't even have to lie. Smart communication-skills plus some hints on what's going on plus "soon". The rest would be about quantity (many people and all communication-channels) not more. 2 hours work for them and the price would shoot up. Maybe even just one post of Paul Snow. If I would recognize them doing something like that I would sell into the pump because I would consider it as a sign that there is something wrong.

tempus
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2016, 10:39:33 AM

Tempus as always explained everything perfectly. Thank you for your hard work. Wink

It's not hard work. It's Sunday, I'm bored, my thoughts getting clearer if I write and I learn english that way Grin
Wesiematic

Activity: 437

View Profile
May 08, 2016, 12:16:53 PM

It's a great project, all i need to know  Wink

there is always a light at the end of the tunnel...
Pages: « 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 ... 470 »
  Print  

Jump to: