Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:03:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 [175] 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 ... 470 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] FACTOM - Introducing Honesty to Record-Keeping  (Read 2115841 times)
tempus
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1128

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 12:18:28 PM
Last edit: July 20, 2016, 12:31:20 PM by tempus

Besides it's fundamental potential the Factoid market also has a lot of room regarding all psychological aspects. And that is something I expect to "catch up", because there is a recognizable tendency that is positive. That's why I say in my long post that all signs I know of are on green.

I think a good metric for this psychological "catch up" is # of Reddit subscribers to /r/factom:

http://redditmetrics.com/r/factom

Click on the "Total Subscribers" tab and it looks like past linear growth is giving way to something more exponential.  

Yes, right! It's a good sign for increasing attention. Factom becomes more and more recognized but without coming close to a hype, so there is still a lot of room.

Attention is a very important factor (without any attention nothing would be possible), but I also mean more than "just" that when I speak of a "psychological market". It's just very hard to explain, because it's nothing objective and it's not possible to make statistics about it.

One example: Identification. The expression of Identification is something like "attached to"/"tied to". Psychologically it's kind of simple but hard to explain it's "mechanism". It's about something that is "new" that is connected to something that is already there. Maybe weird example: If somebody you don't know gives you a stone, you'll ask what's wrong with him and throw it away. If a woman you love gives it to you it's also still a stone, but it connects - because it stands for something that is meaningful for you. And to connect, to build up identification, it needs understanding.

In Crypto the highest intense identification is profit. But the identification is much deeper than just money. In the end, money stands for "perspective" or "chances" and "feeling safe", also for "power" and so on. It has deeper meaning than just the number of Bitcoins or the dollars in cash. But, there is an extreme conflict: While it stands for something that should last over a long time (nobody wants money and what it stands for just for some minutes) everybody wants it quick. And the Crypto-market is really extreme in that. It's about "i want much!" and "soon!". And that's the point where people believe to invest while they in fact just bet. They believe to invest because they believe that the Dev-teams develop value that will last. But they "invest" in projects that give short-term-signals. And if teams give short-term-signals it says something about their intentions. That makes the whole Crypto-market very paradox. Because what is green for longterm is red for short term and the other way around. If a Dev-team gives too many "buy-signals" for short-term, I consider all possibilities of dishonest actions of the team. Paycoin was a masterpiece-example. ;-)

And the identification with short-term-profit can not connect to Factom. They simply don't give those signals but counteract it. And Ethereum gives all signals. They give long-term-signals and they are long-term-focused. But especially the market itself is a short-term-signal and I believe it was manipulated and is manipulated, and I believe it's done very strategic. It's not the price why I believe it. It's the volume. But also the smart marketing of Ethereum for the Crypto-Public involves a lot of short-term-signals that are "build" on longterm-signals. That's a very effective combination because it gives additional trust.

Factom is different. They don't give those incentives and the market doesn't give those incentives. Some believe that good news like partnerships should be enough for a hype. But all partnerships were long-term-signals. Azure, Honduras, Smart Cities, etc. --> longterm. What was short-term? Chinese exchange: Yuanbao ---> first pump. The pump of march was a combination of pure manipulation and "Vitalik Buterin is invested in Factom!". It's a short-term-signal because the price itself was and VB is a "identification-figure". I can't be totally sure if that was the reason for the pump, but I don't know of any other reasons for that sharp rise. I even believe that it was very strategic. Enabled margin trading plus bot-army plus the Vitalik Buterin - hype. Until now there never was more volume in the Factoid-market and the price was on an ATH. And it had nothing to do with Factom.

But: Is there potential to be identified with Factom as an idea? Absolutely. It just needs understanding. Factom even has more potential I believe than Ethereum regarding that. The system itself can be very "binding" to customers. The idea behind that is beyond making business but meaningful in many ways. That means: There is a lot of potential and it's mainly a question of time for the "public" to grow into it. And there is a tendency, and that will most likely lead into a price hype, because at some point those aspects multiplicate with itself. One scenario for example is: More and more long-term-focused Investors invest and the price begins to rise. The price itself begins to act as short-term-signal and people try to find reasons. Not important if there are no real reasons. They find reasons. But if there should be real reasons, good news, they will take it even if those reasons should again be long-term-signals.

And especially: The more time passes by, the more the people will believe in "soon". With other words: Factom builds up suspense out of itself and a lot of aspects will act additionally and multiplicate with each other. The potential I believe to see in Factom as a project and it's idea is more powerful than anything else I know of (in this space). The same is true with focus on it's market. All what is on "red" for short-term-thinkers now, is not just green in my opinion. If I'm right with my prediction, it's a catapult.

And generally: I think blockchain tech/DLT is going through a bit of a "horseless carriage" phase. E-money is great and important, but I suspect some of the biggest markets will be built around tech that's not a new iteration of what's come before, but rather unique to—and dependent for its existence on—blockchain technology. So ... tech solutions like Factom. But it's just this actual "newness" that creates the lag in peoples' understanding and appreciation of what's going on. Everyone sort of understands "e-money," but AFAIK there aren't very good precedents for what Factom's attempting. Which means the price discovery process is very immature—i.e. the price is lagging the actual value. An annoyance to short-term investors, but a major boon to long-term investors like myself.

E-money can be very different things. It can be something like Paypal or something like Bitcoin. And if we speak about Bitcoin or at least the concept behind: cryptographically secured, decentralized, international etc., it's an offensive attack on the established system. And the idea is not underestimated by authorities. My impression is that nobody really knows how to handle it, but it's nothing politics and finance like. And they figured that the idea is very powerful, but it's a threat and I don't expect that it will be easy to become mainstream. I expect that they will fight it, but not in an offensive and obvious way. In worst case they regulate it to death and do bad marketing against it (terrorist-financing is one example). But at the same time: The ghost is out of the bottle and there are already potential Bitcoin-successors that will be harder to regulate. More anonymity, better decentralization and so on. It will be a fight behind the curtains, invisible for the majority of people.

And that is also something I really like about Factom. It's not that offensive regarding the established system. It's not that much of an attack. It's more like an offer, but if used --> it would change a lot. I can't know what Paul Snow exactly means with "honesty is subversive", but I believe it's about that aspect. It's not about replacing anything. It's more about changing from the inside out. And it's not just about a technical solution to solve existing technical problems. If used it can change thinking. Because a company that uses a recording system like Factom will have to think about what they do and how. For example: Banks usually have going on a lot of illegal activities that shouldn't come out and they have data and documents about it. If investigated they often destroy it. Happened multiple times and happens most likely every day in a lot of companies and institutions etc.. And if that (data was destroyed) comes out it's usual not to find out who was responsible, at least not provable. And Factom is not just a system that can potentially reveal dishonest activities. It's also about preventing because it changes thinking. If it's not that easy any more to get away with dishonest (and illegal) activities, the question is: Is it worth it?

And my concern in the beginning was: Who will want it? But Paul Snow is right when he says that it's not easy to say "I don't want it!", especially if the system gives additional incentives besides the honesty-aspect to use it. It can lower costs, it's about security, it has a lot of practical use and I don't know of real barriers (if high quality). And somebody who would say "no, better not!" - that's not easy to say, because it could be revealing regarding intentions not to want it - it could be about dishonest intentions. And nobody is open about dishonest intentions in front of honest intentions. Dishonesty always loses in such situations. And that's very powerful, but before people understand that potential they need to understand Factom beyond it's technology.

And I'm not a tech-guy. That was always my biggest weakness in this market. But I try hard to understand ideas and how they are designed into a system. And I believe Factom's design is more effective than Bitcoins or Ethereums. Some say, that because of the federated servers Factom wouldn't be really decentralized. But that could be very wrong because of the election-mechanism, the auditors and the "kick-bad-actours-out-mechanism". It gives additional security while at least theoretically Mining-farms could turn against Bitcoin and nobody could do anything against it. Some believe that Bitcoin-miners wouldn't have any intention to do that because for them it's about money and they wouldn't ever attack the source of money - Bitcoin. But that implicates that they mine for money while it's at least theoretically possible that for example some mining farms are already in the hand or even started from secret-service-agencies (governments). And while Bitcoin is already a battlefield because of human weaknesses and additionally in a fight with the established system, a system like Factom can easily be part of the established system while changing it .

Plus: Data is more meaningful than money - while money is basically data.

Under the line it will most likely be about the technical base of Factom. If it's possible to develop it in a way that is in line with the idea and the thoughtful design. If yes, I have no doubt if it will have success.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crazyivan
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007

DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 01:59:17 PM

....and then just before M2 gets released, somebody dumps a lot of FCT. Really do not understand people.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
MyFarm

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 02:01:05 PM

....and then just before M2 gets released, somebody dumps a lot of FCT. Really do not understand people.
Someone is running the stops.
Freckleg

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 02:02:59 PM

What does that mean?
MyFarm

Activity: 854

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 02:07:25 PM

What does that mean?

On Poloniex you can set, "Stops".  A stop is a pre-determined price where the system automatically buys or sells coin for you.  It's pretty easy to guess where a lot of stops are set so if you want to get some FCT cheap, you sell or short into the price to trigger the lower set stops and have buy orders under those prices.  Occasionally you'll also trip a margin call and get even more coins.
Mrboot
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 02:42:37 PM

What does that mean?

On Poloniex you can set, "Stops".  A stop is a pre-determined price where the system automatically buys or sells coin for you.  It's pretty easy to guess where a lot of stops are set so if you want to get some FCT cheap, you sell or short into the price to trigger the lower set stops and have buy orders under those prices.  Occasionally you'll also trip a margin call and get even more coins.

Let them do it again i will just buy more and more underway down.

Best scenario for me would be Maid first go skyrocket, then i can buy much and much more Fct.
Embat

Merit: 501

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 03:12:07 PM

Factom is implemented in The Future. It will be not only valuable it will runs tons of systems and secure so much data. All around us is data. Skynet rest in peace. Factom is a new king! I believe in this project from the beginig and support it.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
D-Lux

Activity: 385
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 03:58:16 PM

In Crypto the highest intense identification is profit. But the identification is much deeper than just money. In the end, money stands for "perspective" or "chances" and "feeling safe", also for "power" and so on. It has deeper meaning than just the number of Bitcoins or the dollars in cash. But, there is an extreme conflict: While it stands for something that should last over a long time (nobody wants money and what it stands for just for some minutes) everybody wants it quick. And the Crypto-market is really extreme in that. It's about "i want much!" and "soon!". And that's the point where people believe to invest while they in fact just bet. They believe to invest because they believe that the Dev-teams develop value that will last. But they "invest" in projects that give short-term-signals. And if teams give short-term-signals it says something about their intentions. That makes the whole Crypto-market very paradox. Because what is green for longterm is red for short term and the other way around. If a Dev-team gives too many "buy-signals" for short-term, I consider all possibilities of dishonest actions of the team. Paycoin was a masterpiece-example. ;-)

All what is on "red" for short-term-thinkers now, is not just green in my opinion. If I'm right with my prediction, it's a catapult.

Exactly -- nicely said. I think this is really important. I was joking with a friend yesterday that I only invest in coins whose price is being suppressed by whales (in order to accumulate) who know more than I do. Well ... sort of joking. But considering what you've written, the situation becomes: how to maintain a bigger-picture, longer-term stance in a market dominated by short-term signals and a short-term mentality?

I think the ideal investor is devoted to research, independent-minded, focused more on long-term than short-term, and a bit of a contrarian — or at least aware that market vicissitudes rarely have any bearing on the underlying value of the tech. Easier said than done  Wink ... but the goal as far as I can tell.
m1000

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 04:18:50 PM

Hello.

I want to hold Factom coins (factoids) for longer time, but:

a) Do not want to leave these tokes on exchange(s), obvious reasons.
b) I want to avoid any applications (e.g. wallet) which runs via command line.

What options (if any) do I have to securely store factoids?

Thank you!  Wink
willowfoot

Activity: 332
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 05:07:20 PM

Hello.

I want to hold Factom coins (factoids) for longer time, but:

a) Do not want to leave these tokes on exchange(s), obvious reasons.
b) I want to avoid any applications (e.g. wallet) which runs via command line.

What options (if any) do I have to securely store factoids?

Thank you!  Wink

You will want to create a paper wallet:
https://www.factom.com/howto/factoidpapermill/

tempus
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 06:42:56 PM

All what is on "red" for short-term-thinkers now, is not just green in my opinion. If I'm right with my prediction, it's a catapult.

Exactly -- nicely said. I think this is really important. I was joking with a friend yesterday that I only invest in coins whose price is being suppressed by whales (in order to accumulate) who know more than I do. Well ... sort of joking. But considering what you've written, the situation becomes: how to maintain a bigger-picture, longer-term stance in a market dominated by short-term signals and a short-term mentality?   

Good question... hard to answer. First: I believe that short-term-thinking (what it expresses) is natural for us as human beings. I mean, everybody would like to have what he/she wants as soon as possible. What I believe is the most important, and not just in Crypto but generally: To know about own intentions and to understand that there is a difference between to be driven by those intentions (impulsive acting and communicating -->  leads into conflicts that will be like miracles if not understood) and to make self-aware decisions. The rest is about the question what is effective? And it's not effective to be one of those who act impulsive while it can be very effective to watch it and to consider it into conclusions. And while I'm personally not really patient I hate it to have time as enemy. That's why one of my own rules for myself is: What's the best way to get time on to my side. And that can't be short-term-thinking. In best case that would be a fight that is not without any chance but with a high risk to lose.

And Factom is again a good example, because if successful it wouldn't even need trading for the price to rise - just EC-demand - and I consider time not as enemy in this project but as a "friend". But the market is part of the game, short-term-thinking is part of the game, and most likely (if successful) hyping and pumping and bubbles will also be part of future price dynamics like it was in the past.

And what we know about this market can be included into whatever somebody believes about Factom. I believe that Factom has a tremendous fundamental potential. And I'm not surprised that a majority doesn't seem to recognize it while it could also be a reason to be concerned. Some react on a dump like "what is wrong with this project?" as if the price would be omniscient while it says nothing - could be a dumper who needs money because his car exploded. ;-) But is it rational to believe that the short-term-thinkers will drive the price if they will get signals which trigger their impulsive behaviour? It's not just rational, it's a safe prediction. And is it rational to expect that those signals will come? If one has reasons to believe in Factom as a project, yes. So, it's something that can be included in the own strategy while it doesn't need to be something to be concerned about or even change the own attitude.

I think the ideal investor is devoted to research, independent-minded, focused more on long-term than short-term, and a bit of a contrarian — or at least aware that market vicissitudes rarely have any bearing on the underlying value of the tech. Easier said than done  Wink ... but the goal as far as I can tell.

Yes, it's always about anticipation and conclusions can be right or wrong and sometimes something can seem right because something happens like predicted while there are other reasons. ;-)

And problem in short-term is simply that it's nearly impossible to predict something for short-term without insider-knowledge. Short-termers react on trigger. And in most cases it's just the price plus volume. Some are good in chart-analysis and those who are good in it make more profit then losses but that has not much to do with the projects. For me technical analyses is an info but on my hit-list it's not in the top10.
flashbit

Activity: 1008
Merit: 505

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 09:58:30 PM

Looks like factom will cross 3M entries in about 5-6days

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RUZLxxoAfT3C5jIJ144DLYdztYe_sqrKqbTlZuD05-s/htmlview?pli=1#gid=445871101
anderson silva 1

Activity: 285
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2016, 11:55:46 PM

Hello excuse my lack of knowledge, but what does it mean?
flashbit

Activity: 1008
Merit: 505

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 12:37:38 AM

It represents the Factom network usage. Growing exponentially.
anderson silva 1

Activity: 285
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2016, 03:03:27 PM

It represents the Factom network usage. Growing exponentially.

Okay, thank you for the explanation.
D-Lux

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 10:54:00 PM

I was looking at Factom's github and noticed the "EthereumAPI."

https://github.com/FactomProject/EthereumAPI

Can someone please ELI5 this project for me? Is it in any way similar to Counterparty's intention to port the EVM to the mainnet, or ... totally different? Thanks in advance.
tempus
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 11:54:28 PM

I was looking at Factom's github and noticed the "EthereumAPI."

https://github.com/FactomProject/EthereumAPI

Can someone please ELI5 this project for me? Is it in any way similar to Counterparty's intention to port the EVM to the mainnet, or ... totally different? Thanks in advance.

Only thing I know about it is what Brian Deey said on Reddit:

"(...)

Factom can prove its history on other blockchains too. We are planning on anchoring into ethereum too. This will allow ethereum apps to follow historical factom consensus without viewing the bitcoin blockchain.
No Factom will not stop using bitcoin as a publishing platform."
https://www.reddit.com/r/factom/comments/4a5cou/will_factom_move_to_a_different_chain/d0xj8m7

And that topic instantly got media-echo:

Factom Plans To Anchor Into Ethereum Blockchain

(...)

That being said, the company is well aware there are other technological advancements in existence which could make their service more versatile. A recent post on Reddit by BrianDeery mentions how Factom has plans to anchor into Ethereum and its blockchain as well, in due time. No official dates have been announced or confirmed as of yet though.

When this integration happens, any application built on top of the Ethereum blockchain will be able to  follow historical Factom consensus, without seeing anything on the Bitcoin blockchain. This parallel approach to using all of the versatile blockchain solutions available brings more decentralization to the Factom project as well, which can only be seen as a positive thing.

http://themerkle.com/factom-plans-to-anchor-into-ethereum-blockchain/
D-Lux

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 12:10:19 AM

Thanks tempus! It really does seem like they have a lot in the hopper: M2, EthereumAPI, Honduras, Chinese smart cities, DHS, 3 million entries milestone ...
tempus
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 01:56:05 AM

Thanks tempus! It really does seem like they have a lot in the hopper: M2, EthereumAPI, Honduras, Chinese smart cities, DHS, 3 million entries milestone ...

No problem!

And yes. I even believe that the news we know about could be just the tip of an iceberg. Most likely there is much more they don't speak about because they can't --> NDA's.
Mrboot
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 08:01:45 AM

No problem!

And yes. I even believe that the news we know about could be just the tip of an iceberg. Most likely there is much more they don't speak about because they can't --> NDA's.

Tempus are you signed in on Bnkofthefuture ? Factom is doing a shares sale round now about 5 million dollar raised.

But coolest part if you sign in there you can get extra information documents, negotiations , expectations etc Wink just a tip for people.
Pages: « 1 ... 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 [175] 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 ... 470 »
  Print  

Jump to: