Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:14:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] LocalBitcoins.com - a location-based bitcoin to cash marketplace  (Read 125862 times)
hivewallet

Activity: 378
Merit: 325

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2013, 01:38:48 PM

We've added LocalBitcoins and ZipZap locations to CoinMap. The code is here:
https://github.com/grabhive/coinmap

Both services have an API for searching so right now we have to query each of them. LocalBitcoins provides a list of country codes based on their user location, we use this list to get the codes. Than we convert them to the country name and query the API for each country (you can't use the country code for geolocation with Google e.g. DE == Delaware, but this is the country code for Germany - Deutschland). For ZipZap we use a list of the 50 largest cities in the USA. We are not sure if all data is mapped correctly, but the points are there.

Hive, a beautiful, secure wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit.
Tweets @hivewallet. Skype us here. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FullLife

Activity: 503
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 10:28:48 PM

Would love to see the results within a certain radius (the same city? the same state?) sorted by PRICE, or even better, the ability to sort by PRICE AND FEEDBACK.
So I can weed out those w/o 100% positive rep and THEN decide on the right price.

The way it currently is, I dunno WHAT the criteria are.

Please don't discriminate against individuals who don't have a perfect 100% feedback.  Not having 100% feedback is not a big deal.  All it takes is one malicious individual to initiate a trade, cancel and leave negative feedback to ruin a perfect 100%.  Once this happens, it takes a LOT of transactions to get back to 100%.  What makes it even worse is that not everyone will leave you feedback.

I should know because this is exactly what happened to me.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2013, 11:27:43 PM

Would love to see the results within a certain radius (the same city? the same state?) sorted by PRICE, or even better, the ability to sort by PRICE AND FEEDBACK.
So I can weed out those w/o 100% positive rep and THEN decide on the right price.

Please don't discriminate against individuals who don't have a perfect 100% feedback.  Not having 100% feedback is not a big deal.  All it takes is one malicious individual to initiate a trade, cancel and leave negative feedback to ruin a perfect 100%.  Once this happens, it takes a LOT of transactions to get back to 100%.  What makes it even worse is that not everyone will leave you feedback.

A good price and a good rating make a trade more likely. Both have no-go-thresholds and beyond that, they should be weighted in a way.

Example:
Thresholds:
* 100km (if it has to be in person)
* 10% bad ratings
* 15% fees compared to bitstamp price

distance score = (100km - distance) / x1 km
rating score = (1 - bad_ratings / ratings) * x2
activity score = ratins * x3
fee score = price / bitstamp price * x4 [ distinguish between sell and buy]

Sort by distance score + rating score + activity score + fee score.

I would not waste one second on an offer by somebody who has 100% negative or who offers BTC at price the price of somebody with a comparable volume.
Somebody with a good price would deserve to have the negative feedback read and somebody with a good rating deserves to have slightly worse prices to be considered. Maybe he's otherwise worth it.

Setting thresholds would be an advanced option. Setting x1-4 would most likely be subject to optimization. Tolerance for different aspects might highly depend on the region and density of the bitcoin economy.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 06:31:43 AM

Please don't discriminate against individuals who don't have a perfect 100% feedback.  Not having 100% feedback is not a big deal.  All it takes is one malicious individual to initiate a trade, cancel and leave negative feedback to ruin a perfect 100%.  Once this happens, it takes a LOT of transactions to get back to 100%.  What makes it even worse is that not everyone will leave you feedback.

A good price and a good rating make a trade more likely. Both have no-go-thresholds and beyond that, they should be weighted in a way.

Example:
Thresholds:
* 10% bad ratings

I would not waste one second on an offer by somebody who has 100% negative or who offers BTC at price the price of somebody with a comparable volume.
Somebody with a good price would deserve to have the negative feedback read and somebody with a good rating deserves to have slightly worse prices to be considered. Maybe he's otherwise worth it.

Setting thresholds would be an advanced option. Setting x1-4 would most likely be subject to optimization. Tolerance for different aspects might highly depend on the region and density of the bitcoin economy.

That's all so very specific...
Just have the colums sortable [asc/desc]: Price / Distance / Rating
With the option [ ] hide users with 0 feedback.

easy as pie! the rest is up to the user.
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2013, 05:06:39 PM

Please don't discriminate against individuals who don't have a perfect 100% feedback.  Not having 100% feedback is not a big deal.  All it takes is one malicious individual to initiate a trade, cancel and leave negative feedback to ruin a perfect 100%.  Once this happens, it takes a LOT of transactions to get back to 100%.  What makes it even worse is that not everyone will leave you feedback.

Example:
Thresholds:
* 10% bad ratings

That's all so very specific...
Just have the colums sortable [asc/desc]: Price / Distance / Rating
With the option [ ] hide users with 0 feedback.

easy as pie! the rest is up to the user.

For the user it should be easy as pie but sorting by these columns individually with the option to even reverse the sorting is also too much. Having these options would be the poor man's solution, giving the geeks more control without much work for LB's devs.

If this was my service though I would love to apply machine learning to it. Take above parameters as the dimensions and the positively rated trades that happen as the outcome. Messages going back and forth would be yet another hidden dimension. LB should have a large training set and they can even sort by what they are more interested in, their profit, which wouldn't be too badly aligned with the customers needs, neither (with my trades though it would interfere as I don't generate profits).
Machine learning is actually quite accessible through a vast array of libraries that don't require you to actually understand much of the field but the outcome would be customer satisfaction based on past customer satisfaction.
Localbitcoins is currently searching for a backend programmer. This could be just one such thing this guy could work on Wink

WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
hivewallet

Activity: 378
Merit: 325

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2013, 12:43:20 PM

Introducing the LocalBitcoins app for Hive.

Please note: as with Hive itself, this should be handled with great care and at the moment we do not recommend it for any kind of day-to-day use.

The latest releases will be made available here:
https://github.com/grabhive/hiveapp-localbitcoins/releases

Issues can be tracked here:
https://github.com/grabhive/hiveapp-localbitcoins/issues

Hive, a beautiful, secure wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit.
Tweets @hivewallet. Skype us here. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 07:13:33 PM

Now that I started using wire trades, I ran into the problem that buyers are supposed to instantly get my bitcoins into escrow so using a simple formula doesn't cut it anymore if I want to protect myself against some wild swings.

I studied math but still don't feel too comfortable using the powerful formula input not knowing what could possible go wrong, so I wonder how less savvy users are supposed to use this.

I would suggest to come up with some rather tight wild swing protections.

For my online sell I currently use:
max(bitstampusd * 1.1, bitstampusd_high * 0.95 ) * USD_in_CLP

It means: take the current most accurate estimate of a fair price (bitstampusd), apply my 10% fee and display it in Chilean Pesos. In case of a falling/crashing price, never show a price lower than 95% of 24h high (bitstampusd_high).

I would feel much more comfortable if this was all wrapped in some form like this:
rate to use: dropdown(average, mtgox, bitstamp, ...)
fee in %: __5__
maximum price drop per day in %: __10__
maximum price drop per week in %: __20__

ɃɃ
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 07:16:40 PM

Now that I started using wire trades, I ran into the problem that buyers are supposed to instantly get my bitcoins into escrow so using a simple formula doesn't cut it anymore if I want to protect myself against some wild swings.
http://localbitcoins.blogspot.com/2013/06/this-is-first-in-series-of-posts.html
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 10:31:29 PM

Is there a link to the rest of that series?

justusranvier
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 10:36:59 PM

Actually... I never wrote any more.

Probably should edit that post...
Walter Rothbard

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 10:42:14 PM

Actually... I never wrote any more.

Probably should edit that post...

No, go write more! Smiley

giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2013, 01:54:23 AM

Thank you but that's not really my point. The thousands of users should not have to dig into these details if the developers of LB can just give them maybe exactly what you came up with. Give the users to tweak some parameters and if that's not enough, let them play but give them some protection against some too stupid price movements. Some "pause advertisement on wild swings" checkbox would maybe be the easiest to understand.

ɃɃ
justusranvier
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 05:06:05 AM

Thank you but that's not really my point. The thousands of users should not have to dig into these details if the developers of LB can just give them maybe exactly what you came up with. Give the users to tweak some parameters and if that's not enough, let them play but give them some protection against some too stupid price movements. Some "pause advertisement on wild swings" checkbox would maybe be the easiest to understand.
They  seem  pretty much overwhelmed just keeping the site operational.

Your best bet is honestly to order to code it for them.
Walter Rothbard

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2013, 02:05:40 PM

I get the feeling that if that many people were all using pre-defined formulas like that, the system would be easy to game.

2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 07:36:12 PM
Last edit: November 09, 2013, 07:47:56 PM by 2weiX

if you don't want to be gamed, set a minimum price to sell at or a max price to buy at.

Code:
min(mtgoxUSD_ask*1.05,350)
sells at mtgox+5% as long or 350$, whichever is higher.

Code:
max(btcdeEUR_bid*0.95,230)
buys 5% below bitcoin.de bid but no higher than 230€.

Edith: Just read the blogpost, really good stuff in there. Probably still helps to set a MIN and MAX integer, just in case.
abracadabra

Activity: 956
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 06:12:31 PM

Careful... just received a fishing email with an offer to buy bitcoins on localbitcoins.

Was wondering how I got an offer since I didn't have any active ads running.

The link links to llocalbitcoins.com
deadweasel

Activity: 364

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 06:13:20 PM

Careful... just received a fishing email with an offer to buy bitcoins on localbitcoins.

Was wondering how I got an offer since I didn't have any active ads running.

The link links to llocalbitcoins.com

llocalbitcoins.com is now 404

herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 06:14:02 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qjse3/psalocalbitcoins_phishing_attempt/

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
justusranvier
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 06:16:26 PM

Probably still helps to set a MIN and MAX integer, just in case.
Price is moving so quickly that those numbers quickly become obsolete.
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:20:11 PM

Probably still helps to set a MIN and MAX integer, just in case.
Price is moving so quickly that those numbers quickly become obsolete.

An added 24hr average sort of "protects" against quick drops.

2weiX has recommended a reserve price earlier in this thread and that works well for me ever since. Thanks again!

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 »
  Print  

Jump to: