Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:49:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] LocalBitcoins.com - a location-based bitcoin to cash marketplace  (Read 125849 times)
martiz

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 11:45:51 AM

What's going on with the site?

Quote from: LocalBitcoins.com
Site mainteinance
We are running some maintenance operations, such as server upgrades. Estimated duration 2 hours, started 04:00 UTC.

It's already way more than 2 hours... run into some serious problems?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 03:01:13 PM

What's going on with the site?

Quote from: LocalBitcoins.com
Site mainteinance
We are running some maintenance operations, such as server upgrades. Estimated duration 2 hours, started 04:00 UTC.

It's already way more than 2 hours... run into some serious problems?

up again
AlexNeto

Activity: 658
Merit: 536

Z-pay.io

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 11:32:17 AM

What is happening with website? It becomes useless at all. I can't release escrow for hours, pages not loading.
A week already the same shit.

🔥Z-pay.io🔥 - Anonymous bitcoin cheques. FREE mixing.

☝️             ☝️                 ☝️
ReBoRn

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

Bitcoin will survive

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:20:44 PM

What is happening with website? It becomes useless at all. I can't release escrow for hours, pages not loading.
A week already the same shit.

now working ok and maintenance is already end good and fast work

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3332
Merit: 4492

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:33:36 PM

Not happy at all about the new system of funding the "transaction service".

Previously the contact would give a unique wallet address specific only to that contact.  You could send the exact amount of bitcoins needed from an external wallet to the address specified by localbitcoins.  They would collect their 1% fee.  Everyone would be happy.

Now, every contact uses my default localbitcoins "wallet address" instead of a unique address.  This means I have to re-use addresses ( a practice that I am against ).  The contact page lies and says:
To fund the transaction, send at least #.###### BTC to your LocalBitcoins wallet address.

When I did so, localbitcoins extracted a 0.000033 BTC fee from the amount I received in the wallet???  As such, there wasn't enough in the wallet to fund the transaction.  I had to send a second transaction of 0.000033 BTC (and pay another 0.0001 BTC transaction fee) to get enough in the account to fund the transaction.  So now localbitcoins has taken not only the agreed 1% for the transaction but an additional 0.000033 BTC from me, and I can only assume they'll take 0.000033 BTC from the receiver as well?

I'm not so upset about the cost.  Localbitcoins can charge whatever fees they want, and if they get too expensive a competitor will come along and undercut them driving them out of business.  That's capitalism.

I'm upset that the contact page told me to send a particular amount of bitcoins, but when I sent that amount it wasn't enough.  Then when I met with the buyer, the transaction wasn't funded and I couldn't release it.  It inconvenienced me, and the buyer. Neither of us had time to wait for 3 more confirmations on another transaction, so we had to reschedule for another day.  If this mess isn't cleaned up, I'll refuse to use the "transaction service" any longer.  localbitcoins will no longer get the 1% from me, as I'll just send directly to buyers' addresses.
Equilux

Activity: 353
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 03:17:37 PM

Previously the contact would give a unique wallet address specific only to that contact.  You could send the exact amount of bitcoins needed from an external wallet to the address specified by localbitcoins.  They would collect their 1% fee.  Everyone would be happy.

Now, every contact uses my default localbitcoins "wallet address" instead of a unique address.  This means I have to re-use addresses ( a practice that I am against ).  The contact page lies and says:
To fund the transaction, send at least #.###### BTC to your LocalBitcoins wallet address.

When I did so, localbitcoins extracted a 0.000033 BTC fee from the amount I received in the wallet???  As such, there wasn't enough in the wallet to fund the transaction.  I had to send a second transaction of 0.000033 BTC (and pay another 0.0001 BTC transaction fee) to get enough in the account to fund the transaction.  So now localbitcoins has taken not only the agreed 1% for the transaction but an additional 0.000033 BTC from me, and I can only assume they'll take 0.000033 BTC from the receiver as well?

I'm not so upset about the cost.  Localbitcoins can charge whatever fees they want, and if they get too expensive a competitor will come along and undercut them driving them out of business.  That's capitalism.

I'm upset that the contact page told me to send a particular amount of bitcoins, but when I sent that amount it wasn't enough.  Then when I met with the buyer, the transaction wasn't funded and I couldn't release it.  It inconvenienced me, and the buyer. Neither of us had time to wait for 3 more confirmations on another transaction, so we had to reschedule for another day.  If this mess isn't cleaned up, I'll refuse to use the "transaction service" any longer.  localbitcoins will no longer get the 1% from me, as I'll just send directly to buyers' addresses.

Wo, this sounds like quite a bad development, and frankly it sounds like a hassle which could have been avoided. Hope this get's fixed before I need to use it again.

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 06:36:37 PM

The transaction service works best if you leave enough funds in your wallet to cover your largest ad and just fund sales automatically.

You can also request a new deposit address each time through the Wallet page so that you don't reuse addresses.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 06:53:32 PM

The transaction service works best if you leave enough funds in your wallet to cover your largest ad and just fund sales automatically.

I have WAY too many no-shows for that.  That would be a huge hassle.  In addition, I don't trust localbitcoins not to get hacked or steal my funds.  There have been far too many instances of web hosted bitcoin accounts losing/stealing funds.  There is no way I'm going to just leave $15000 worth of bitcoins hanging around in localbitcoins' wallet. The process worked fine before.  The only funds that had to be sent to localbitcoins was AFTER someone indicated that they wanted to use the transaction service, and then the funds where only there for a half hour or so before I didn't have to worry about them anymore.  What's the benefit of this new system?  It only seems to make things significantly less secure, less anonymous, and less convenient.

You can also request a new deposit address each time through the Wallet page so that you don't reuse addresses.

Yes, I see that I can do that.  That's quite a hassle when it used to automatically generate a unique address for the contact.

Now it has to be a multi-step process.  I used to be able to send to the contact address.  Hop in my car and drive to the meeting place.  By the time I got there, the bitcoins were ready to release.  I could txt the release code and go.

Now I have to send to my localbitcoins "account" (its an account, not a wallet.  If it was a wallet, we'd have access to the private keys). Then I have to wait for 3 confirmations so I can find out if they are going to take a receiving fee and how high the fee will be.  Then (depending on the size of the fee), I have to send additional bitcoins and wait for 3 more confirmations.  Then I have to find the right contact in the dashboard, and click the button to fund the transaction from my wallet, then finally I can get in my car and go meet the person (having added an hour to the proccess before I can even get in my car.

I just don't see the benefit to all this additional red-tape.
justusranvier
Legendary

Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 07:04:34 PM

I have WAY too many no-shows for that.  That would be a huge hassle.  In addition, I don't trust localbitcoins not to get hacked or steal my funds.  There have been far too many instances of web hosted bitcoin accounts losing/stealing funds.  There is no way I'm going to just leave $15000 worth of bitcoins hanging around in localbitcoins' wallet. The process worked fine before.  The only funds that had to be sent to localbitcoins was AFTER someone indicated that they wanted to use the transaction service, and then the funds where only there for a half hour or so before I didn't have to worry about them anymore.  What's the benefit of this new system?  It only seems to make things significantly less secure, less anonymous, and less convenient.
I agree that it's additional risk. It can be worth it in certain circumstances.

The benefit is there for the buyer. When transactions get funded automatically that's one way they know the seller is serious. No-shows happen on their end too, I've heard horror stories about that from people who've bought from me.

Also if you do online sales of any type it's frequently possible for the process to go from "order created" to "bitcoins released" in less time than it would take to get a single confirmation, much less three.

I take the risk of loss by leaving funds in my LocalBitcoins account because it helps get me good feedback due to quick turnarounds, and I've already gained more from that than I would lose if they disappear with my funds tomorrow.
haightst

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 09:47:07 PM

The site: http://localbitcoins.com/

Features

- tries to resolve your location based on your IP, but you can also specify zipcode/postal code search
- anonymous by default, no email addresses shown. You decide afterwards if you accept the offer, and of course you can use throw-away email.
- specify your price using equation - makes it easy to make competitive pricing strategy
- transactions and reputation system. collect reputation via confirmed trades. It is possible to do the transaction on-the-spot with just an one device. Also it is possible to do the transaction with SMS message - quick and easy.

How to run a bitcoin cash exchange for fun and profit - guide

We also wrote a short tutorial for using the site: http://localbitcoins.com/cash_exchange_howto

Features under development

- better process for buyers/sellers
- better UI

Any suggestions are welcome! Especially feedback how well the location works for you, eg. how well your location is determined with the IP, etc.

hey how's it going ! I checked the site recently and all the prices were through the friggin' roof!!! How is the website development going over there!  Cool -x-many thanks!-x-
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 01:56:24 PM

great site great idea ... but:

super slow timeouts errors, almost un-usable

wft is going on?

server power is super cheap these days get some horsepower!!!!!!

or maybe this is a DHS DDOS attack   Cool

Truth is the new hatespeech.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1128

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 08:01:45 PM
Last edit: November 22, 2013, 08:12:30 PM by BurtW

WHY DID YOU CHANGE THIS???  The old system worked perfectly.  This new system, excuse my French, sucks.  Please go back to generating a differenet address for each unfunded transaction and giving us the actual correct amount.  My transaction did not fund because a) you gave me the wrong amount to send and b) what I sent went into my wallet, NOT to the transaction.  Is this a bug or did you change it on purpose?  PLEASE change it back.  Also please explain why you thought you had to change it.

I'm upset that the contact page told me to send a particular amount of bitcoins, but when I sent that amount it wasn't enough.  Then when I met with the buyer, the transaction wasn't funded and I couldn't release it.  It inconvenienced me, and the buyer. Neither of us had time to wait for 3 more confirmations on another transaction, so we had to reschedule for another day. If this mess isn't cleaned up, I'll refuse to use the "transaction service" any longer.  localbitcoins will no longer get the 1% from me, as I'll just send directly to buyers' addresses.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1128

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 08:14:27 PM

I have WAY too many no-shows for that.  That would be a huge hassle.  In addition, I don't trust localbitcoins not to get hacked or steal my funds.  There have been far too many instances of web hosted bitcoin accounts losing/stealing funds.  There is no way I'm going to just leave $15000 worth of bitcoins hanging around in localbitcoins' wallet. The process worked fine before.  The only funds that had to be sent to localbitcoins was AFTER someone indicated that they wanted to use the transaction service, and then the funds where only there for a half hour or so before I didn't have to worry about them anymore.  What's the benefit of this new system?  It only seems to make things significantly less secure, less anonymous, and less convenient.
I agree that it's additional risk. It can be worth it in certain circumstances.

The benefit is there for the buyer. When transactions get funded automatically that's one way they know the seller is serious. No-shows happen on their end too, I've heard horror stories about that from people who've bought from me.

Also if you do online sales of any type it's frequently possible for the process to go from "order created" to "bitcoins released" in less time than it would take to get a single confirmation, much less three.

I take the risk of loss by leaving funds in my LocalBitcoins account because it helps get me good feedback due to quick turnarounds, and I've already gained more from that than I would lose if they disappear with my funds tomorrow.
The point is that the old system worked perfectly.  It was not broken as far as I know.  Why was it "fixed"?

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 08:58:11 PM

Is this a bug or did you change it on purpose?

I don't understand the reasoning behind it, but it was most definitely changed on purpose.  Look at the new wording on the contact page:

To fund the transaction, send at least #.###### BTC to your LocalBitcoins wallet address 1xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Emphasis added by me.
Cablez
Legendary

Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 09:58:03 PM

This is what I was griping about a page or so back.  If it ain't broke then don't fix it.  I do not need a localbitcoins wallet, I have plenty.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
alexanderanon

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 01:55:40 AM

Why does bitcoinary.com redirect to localbitcons? I hadn't followed either site since their founding, but I thought they were separate bit-businesses.
wetroof

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 02:30:31 AM

cryptocurrencycharts.com also redirects, as well as another domain I discovered (that I now forget). they bought some good domains.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2013, 06:58:26 AM

Why does bitcoinary.com redirect to localbitcons? I hadn't followed either site since their founding, but I thought they were separate bit-businesses.

Either it was hacked, or the owner of bitcoinary's referral code to LBC is h7z. I was wondering why I'd open tabs in the background and the bookmark labeled Bitcoinary never got opened. LOL

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
velacreations

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 03:08:17 PM

Be careful, we're getting reports of bank transfers getting reversed on localbitcoin transactions.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 09:54:41 PM

Be careful, we're getting reports of bank transfers getting reversed on localbitcoin transactions.

Nothing new there. Bank transfers have been getting reversed for as long as people have been using them to pay for bitcoins. It's been pretty well known for years now that a bank transfer is a risky way to accept payment.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 »
  Print  

Jump to: