Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 04:21:17 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 [107] 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 ... 295 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH  (Read 450930 times)
pekatete

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2015, 05:06:32 PM

For longer blades, I was talking about the Nidec. It's a 38mm deep fan at least according to the one datasheet I saw, but 5" (127mm) so the blades would be a little longer. The exact model wasn't in there, so it might be that the A34538 is a deeper fan. Do you have a DS for it?

Edit: That might actually make sense.
http://www.nidecpg.com/fanpdfs/c2003_4546.pdf
All the fans in there are AXX3XX models. The AXX5XX could be 50mm vs 38mm versions.
Sorry, do not have the datasheet.
The exact model I am running is AX34538-90 as read from the sticker (and I believe that is the same in the link I gave), and it is definitely NOT a 38mm form-factor .... more like a 50mm one.
I am popping out for a while to pick my kids from school but will look again when I get back and update you.

Just looked at the directory of the datasheets and it seems there is no datasheet for the TA500DC .... probably these were made on order for Compaq only?! The only ones I've ever seen are all branded with the Compaq tag ..... so that may be the case.

Datasheet directory link: http://www.nidecpg.com/fanpdfs/ (from your link above).

But hey, you can pick this fan up for ~ $5 + shipping and the resistor for the mod is ~ $1 ...... who needs a datasheet?

MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 06:14:35 PM

For longer blades, I was talking about the Nidec. It's a 38mm deep fan at least according to the one datasheet I saw, but 5" (127mm) so the blades would be a little longer. The exact model wasn't in there, so it might be that the A34538 is a deeper fan. Do you have a DS for it?

Edit: That might actually make sense.
http://www.nidecpg.com/fanpdfs/c2003_4546.pdf
All the fans in there are AXX3XX models. The AXX5XX could be 50mm vs 38mm versions.
Sorry, do not have the datasheet.
The exact model I am running is AX34538-90 as read from the sticker (and I believe that is the same in the link I gave), and it is definitely NOT a 38mm form-factor .... more like a 50mm one.
I am popping out for a while to pick my kids from school but will look again when I get back and update you.

Just looked at the directory of the datasheets and it seems there is no datasheet for the TA500DC .... probably these were made on order for Compaq only?! The only ones I've ever seen are all branded with the Compaq tag ..... so that may be the case.

Datasheet directory link: http://www.nidecpg.com/fanpdfs/ (from your link above).

But hey, you can pick this fan up for ~ $5 + shipping and the resistor for the mod is ~ $1 ...... who needs a datasheet?
It's the one below the one I posted, though it doesn't have the exact model as the one in the auction.
http://www.nidecpg.com/fanpdfs/c2003_4747.pdf
You don't happen to have a laser tachometer you could use to measure the RPM, do you?
netcoingeek

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 06:29:49 PM

Back to fans. Noctura nf-f12 is supposed to be a quiet 120mm with speeds up to 3000rpm. From reading all this, noise is the issue but you have to decide if you want speed or noise. The faster the s5 hashes the louder the fan because in order to keep the s5 in working temps (below 60) you have to push a lot of air and have the s5 is an ideal location. If you want a quiet fan then you need to sacrifice hash speed because the air displacement from fan has to exceed the heat generated to keep the s5 cool. This has been my struggle.

But I can't figure out why the s5 needs to be below 60c? Most computers run at or over 60c. The over temp cutoff is software set at 80c. I do get some hw but over a 12 hr period and from what Ive read some hw is ok but when does it become an issue?
pekatete

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2015, 06:32:25 PM

It's the one below the one I posted, though it doesn't have the exact model as the one in the auction.
http://www.nidecpg.com/fanpdfs/c2003_4747.pdf
You don't happen to have a laser tachometer you could use to measure the RPM, do you?
I actually looked at that but, as you correctly point out, since it did not have the exact model number, I discounted it .... seems correct though.

..... laser tachometer ... I hate giving negative answers, but, no I don't have one. On a positive note though, yes you are right by implication that I do not get any RPM readings on either of the rigs I run the TA500DC fans on (could not get one connecting the orange or other wire ... must be something I did wrong!)

MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 06:35:34 PM

Back to fans. Noctura not-f12 is supposed to be a quiet 120mm with speeds up to 3000rpm. From reading all this, noise is the issue but you have to decide if you want speed or noise. The faster the s5 hashes the louder the fan because in order to keep the s5 in working temps (below 60) you have to push a lot of air and have the s5 is an ideal location. If you want a quiet fan then you need to sacrifice hash speed because the air displacement from fan has to exceed the heat generated to keep the s5 cool. This has been my struggle.

But I can't figure out why the s5 needs to be below 60c? Most computers run at or over 60c. The over temp cutoff is software set at 80c. I do get some hw but over a 12 hr period and from what Ive read some hw is ok but when does it become an issue?
Unlike the Spondoolies or Hashfast chips (or your CPU) the S5s don't have a thermal diode right on the chip. The temperature sensor is on the back side of the board, and so is really measuring the temperature of the PCB. It's unknown (at least to me) what a good rule of thumb is for mapping die temperature to the temp sensor reading, but it's pretty much guaranteed to be a decent bit higher than what the unit says.
netcoingeek

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 06:46:42 PM

Back to fans. Noctura not-f12 is supposed to be a quiet 120mm with speeds up to 3000rpm. From reading all this, noise is the issue but you have to decide if you want speed or noise. The faster the s5 hashes the louder the fan because in order to keep the s5 in working temps (below 60) you have to push a lot of air and have the s5 is an ideal location. If you want a quiet fan then you need to sacrifice hash speed because the air displacement from fan has to exceed the heat generated to keep the s5 cool. This has been my struggle.

Unlike the Spondoolies or Hashfast chips (or your CPU) the S5s don't have a thermal diode right on the chip. The temperature sensor is on the back side of the board, and so is really measuring the temperature of the PCB. It's unknown (at least to me) what a good rule of thumb is for mapping die temperature to the temp sensor reading, but it's pretty much guaranteed to be a decent bit higher than what the unit says.

Ok, so like most temp sensors, there is a variance and to error on the side of hot is better. Ok so my s5 running at 55 and 58 are probably running more like 60 and 65. But hardware errors? What causes them to occur and why would they occur at temps in the safe zone with no overclock, underclock say at 275Mhz? The miner still functions with hardware errors and they are less frequent than with my antminer U3. I guess the goal is 0 hardware errors =stability but 0 hardware errors = cooler temps in the below 60c range and that is where fans come in.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 3977

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 07:08:32 PM
Last edit: February 06, 2015, 11:33:43 PM by Biodom

Back to fans. Noctura nf-f12 is supposed to be a quiet 120mm with speeds up to 3000rpm. From reading all this, noise is the issue but you have to decide if you want speed or noise. The faster the s5 hashes the louder the fan because in order to keep the s5 in working temps (below 60) you have to push a lot of air and have the s5 is an ideal location. If you want a quiet fan then you need to sacrifice hash speed because the air displacement from fan has to exceed the heat generated to keep the s5 cool. This has been my struggle.

Noctua NF-12 description says 41db, but the actual dB emitting from this fan are more like 55-56dB at 1ft distance.
It is tolerable in the same office at 2-5ft distance, but I would certainly not call it quiet.
In another room 20 or more ft away-it is totally fine even with an open door (barely discernible)
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2015, 09:22:58 PM

What I can't get over, as other are stating, is why is there no top or bottom? The cheap plastic sides are bad enough. Why couldn't you provide a plastic top and bottom.

I can't directly answer your question, but I've tested closing top and bottom off. It moves temps ~1.5C, not record breaking, and that's SEALED top and bottom rather than more plates which won't seal.

I have ordered my first S5. Got to see how mining works with them. I have been mining with GPUs now for over a year.

Do you think it is more profitable to switch from GPU mining to ASIC mining via Antminer S5 for example? I don't have to pay for electricity anyways.
Therefore I could sell my GPUs (6x R9 280x and 3x r9 290) and switch them for ASICs. But lately GPU mining is dieing so hard. It was fun early, when coinlaunches were made. But there are so less coinlaunches in last time because of all the scams. The cards have been running on Nicehash since over 2-3 months now.

I would have thought that you're losing more in GPU depreciation than you're mining, surely? What coin are you on?

dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2015, 09:27:20 PM

Hi all,

So I'm a little new to mining btc with a ASIC miner. I just got my s5 the other day and I have scowered the Internet looking for ways to get the most hashing out of it with a quieter fan. All that aside I think I'm gonna use a noctura nf-f12. Right now I have a sonon 100cfm fan that is not as loud as the stock fan but it is still a bit loud. I also have a second fan pulling at 1350rpm 74cfm.
My temps are 55 and 58 at 275Mhz with 2 hardware errors over a 12 hour period. It hashes at about 900gh/s. I've not been able to get the miner to stock settings with other fans like everyone else on the forum without going into the 60c range which I read is da get zone.

Maybe it's my setup, it's out in the open on its side sitting on my desk. When do hardware errors become a concern? Why is it not recommended that the s5 not be allowed to enter the 60c range when over heating is set at 80?

Hi Eddie,

You're questions are valid, no problem answering them.

1) Hardware errors are only a 'concern' when they become a tangible amount of mining. Historically that was 1-2% but on this generation its more like 0.2-0.3%. You're a long long way away from them being a problem.
2) 80C is considered a critical temperature, where as its recommended to remain below 60-65C in order to increase longevity and reduce the chances of premature failure.

dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2015, 09:47:01 PM

Ok, so like most temp sensors, there is a variance and to error on the side of hot is better. Ok so my s5 running at 55 and 58 are probably running more like 60 and 65. But hardware errors? What causes them to occur and why would they occur at temps in the safe zone with no overclock, underclock say at 275Mhz? The miner still functions with hardware errors and they are less frequent than with my antminer U3. I guess the goal is 0 hardware errors =stability but 0 hardware errors = cooler temps in the below 60c range and that is where fans come in.

Probably in the 80s, its hard to tell. I'll see if I can measure the external chip temp at least when I'm next in there.

kreativling

Activity: 19

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 09:56:29 PM

Probably in the 80s, its hard to tell. I'll see if I can measure the external chip temp at least when I'm next in there.

I would think the actual temperatures may be even higher, as the data sheet for the BM1384 states a max. operating temperature of 125° Celsius.
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2015, 10:28:27 PM

I would think the actual temperatures may be even higher, as the data sheet for the BM1384 states a max. operating temperature of 125° Celsius.

That's a crit temperature so there's likely to be a safety margin still within that. Say, 15C. So 80C = 110C and 55C = 85C. It could even be lower as the 80C threshold is arbitrary and more of a 'something is wrong if its got this hot' limit.

KeezAZA

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

https://eloncity.io

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 11:54:54 PM

Funny how everyone is worried that the temp figures are out by 5-10C.
The goal being to get the overall temp reading below 60C.
Like dogie mentioned. There could easily be a 15C difference between the BM1384 and the temp reading.
Same as any car. The temp gauge is not reading the engine temp but rather the coolant temp. That sensor is not sitting on the block but in the radiator.
Is the sensor doing its job? Is the engine still running without 'hardware' issues?
My concern is the power regulators. My S1 runs @ 48-51C. The top right corner of the blades have temp readings of 74C.
I suspect I shall have a similar situation when the S5 arrives.

huffdaddy5

Activity: 51

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 04:14:15 AM

Well I've got my 2 S5's running together. Literally. Looks like 1 of my controller boards is not working properly, so I decided that I would make both of my S5's run off of the same controller card.

Here is my Status page showing both S5's running off the same controller board. The temps are little warm but I'm adjusting some fans and I'm powering my fan's externally.
http://www.411px.com/2xS5.jpg

And here is some true to it's name S5 miner porn.
http://www.411px.com/S5porn.jpg
MyRig
Donator

Activity: 792
Merit: 510

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2015, 04:55:01 AM

@huffdaddy5,

Please check your PM regarding the S5 control PCB.

Thanks for the Ant Porn!!!   Shocked

Thank you

Antminer & DragonMint Repair  E-mail: support@myrig.com   T: @MyRig_com
Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8047

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2015, 04:57:52 AM

Well I've got my 2 S5's running together. Literally. Looks like 1 of my controller boards is not working properly, so I decided that I would make both of my S5's run off of the same controller card.

Here is my Status page showing both S5's running off the same controller board. The temps are little warm but I'm adjusting some fans and I'm powering my fan's externally.
http://www.411px.com/2xS5.jpg

And here is some true to it's name S5 miner porn.
http://www.411px.com/S5porn.jpg

with  a good old evga 1300 g2 acting as the lube . (well the power source)

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
netcoingeek

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 05:21:54 AM

Thanks dogie and biodom!

I think I'm gonna get one of those nf-12. I need the miner a bit more quiet at a longer distance. I can hear it from in my kitchen which is down stairs and around the corner from my stairs and the miner is literally at the top of the stairs. I don't mind hearing it if I'm by my desk or walking up the stairs but not throughout the house. Thanks for letting me know that they are not quiet but from a distance they are not noticeable.

Dogie,

Thanks for the hardware error explaination. So a few hardware errors is almost expected when temps climb, but when hardware errors climb exponetionally, it's a problem. I've cranked the miner up to 300Mhz or about 1Th/s. Temps went up to 61 and 57. Within an hour I got 1 hardware error. It's been at this setting now for almost three hours and still at 1 hw. I like your range of 60-65c it's more realistic to real computing.

Another question...

How do you shut these miners down to say replace a fan or move the miner? Mine came with an antminer motherboard switch. Being a computer geek, I hate just cutting the power. Somehow it feels wrong, but is that what your supposed to do? Just kill the power either with the red antminer switch or the psu switch? Doing this a couple of time switching out fans to try them with temp control lead one board to not respond during initial boot. It was only after full boot and a restart that the board came back online. I can't find a shutdown or turn off setting anywhere, so how dose the rest of you power down your miner for either maintenence or changing a fan?
jackbox
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1024

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 05:24:51 AM

Another question...

How do you shut these miners down to say replace a fan or move the miner? Mine came with an antminer motherboard switch. Being a computer geek, I hate just cutting the power. Somehow it feels wrong, but is that what your supposed to do? Just kill the power either with the red antminer switch or the psu switch? Doing this a couple of time switching out fans to try them with temp control lead one board to not respond during initial boot. It was only after full boot and a restart that the board came back online. I can't find a shutdown or turn off setting anywhere, so how dose the rest of you power down your miner for either maintenence or changing a fan?

Unfortunately, the only way Bitmain gave us to turn them off is to turn off the PSU. Yes, it does seem wrong and I hate doing it every time I need to.  Cry

Buy a Trezor and Protect your BTC, BCH, BTG, DASH, LTC, DGB, ZEC, ETH and ETC from hackers.
If I was helpful please buy me a coffee BTC: 1DWK7vBaxcTC5Wd2nQwLGEoy8xdFVzGKLK  BTG: AWvN1iBqCUqG2tEh3XoVvRbdcGrAzfBBpW
If I was helpful please buy me a burger DGB: DLASV6CUQpGtGSyaVz5FYuu5YxZ17MoGQz
Stratobitz
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 05:29:45 AM

Has anyone published out the wattage draw to frequency settings in a chart for 110v?

Also...

I'm considering adding in additional S5s to some 2 Phase 208v 30 Amp Breakers. I have 4 of these circuits just sitting idle in one of my rooms.

Im a little unfamiliar with 208v to begin with, let alone 2 Phase. If I buy the simple distros for the sockets, use EVGA g2 1300w PSUs, how many could I plug in and feed of a 30a 208v 2 Phase?

Thanks!

Strato
MyRig
Donator

Activity: 792
Merit: 510

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2015, 05:55:07 AM

Antminer Products will run on 208v, power source, as long as the PSU you use supports them.

Most of ATX or server grade PSUs are operational between 100v - 240v.  Then, those PSU will spit out 12v from the PCI-E connectors.

Has anyone published out the wattage draw to frequency settings in a chart for 110v?

Also...

I'm considering adding in additional S5s to some 2 Phase 208v 30 Amp Breakers. I have 4 of these circuits just sitting idle in one of my rooms.

Im a little unfamiliar with 208v to begin with, let alone 2 Phase. If I buy the simple distros for the sockets, use EVGA g2 1300w PSUs, how many could I plug in and feed of a 30a 208v 2 Phase?

Thanks!

Strato

Antminer & DragonMint Repair  E-mail: support@myrig.com   T: @MyRig_com
Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
Pages: « 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 [107] 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 ... 295 »
  Print  

Jump to: