Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:42:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... 295 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH  (Read 450906 times)
Phosphorous

Activity: 556
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 05:20:38 PM

Also, now that bitmain have the new chip and have implemented the string design, I call upon bitmain to:
1. Provide an S3 / S1 upgrade kit to the S5
Why?
Just sell your S3 for $150-200 (current going price on eBay). Then pony up the additional $250-300 (assuming a new direct purchase from Bitmain) for a new S5 which is probably cheaper than the upgrade kit would be. After all, you could only re-use the cheapest parts of the assembly anyway, so not worth the effort.

You sell yours if you want. And believe it or not, I actually know what the price of an S5 is, and I am sure you do not do any pricing for bitmain products, so you wouldn't know whether it'd be more expensive.
All in all, thanks for nothing .... better still (and I am tiring of saying this in this thread), if you've got nothing to say, do not say it.
The pricing is public knowledge on their website. We know from the pricing of the S1->S3 upgrade kit that the savings are minimal and are probably negative if you allocate a cost to your time to assemble the thing and it definitely goes negative when you calculate in the cost of the loss of the old miner which could have been sold as well as the loss for the time it take for them to release the upgrade kit (it took them over 2 months (IIRC) to release the S3 upgrade kit), so you lost 2 months of the difference of hashing with an S3 vs. the S1 at a lower difficulty. If you want a project, pursue your upgrades. For Bitmain it probably isn't worth the hassle. I'd rather have them focus on the S6 or S7 than be wasting time trying to save you $5.
Thanks for being the thread troll.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 05:23:03 PM

[...]
You might want to just go over Dogie's head. Someone else who actually works there might be interested in responding to your ideas directly to get a better resolution for the Bitmaintech customers. Have you contacted anyone else?

I suppose you missed Dogie's announcement that he nowadays works for Bitmain... Huh

Paid to work in the forums vs. an employee on the payroll.

Dogie's "official" status would be lovely to know but let Bitmain clarify that relationship.

Given all the backlash towards his responses in Bitmain threads even if he is helpful I can't see how it is benefiting Bitmain at this time. Seem like many people have been needlessly antagonized by Dogie and many a thread seems to be riddled with Dogie defending himself rather than promoting solutions for Bitmain customers.

====

Here is hoping that those like pekatete look beyond Dogie and get in contact with an actual employee at Bitmain. Having met some of the Bitmain people they are more than willing to learn from errors and will do what is required to fix problems. Here is hoping that the community has not given up on Bitmain they are trying to make things better. Here is also hoping the S5 is a solid machine. I own a couple of S2 still running hard 24/7 on an altcoin.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Sem

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 06:27:03 PM

Hi Sem,

15A for each 12V PCIE is enough.

Janet

Thanks! How many units per batch?
pak13

Activity: 112

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 06:47:30 PM

[...]
You might want to just go over Dogie's head. Someone else who actually works there might be interested in responding to your ideas directly to get a better resolution for the Bitmaintech customers. Have you contacted anyone else?

I suppose you missed Dogie's announcement that he nowadays works for Bitmain... Huh

Dogie's "official" status would be lovely to know but let Bitmain clarify that relationship.

Given all the backlash towards his responses in Bitmain threads even if he is helpful I can't see how it is benefiting Bitmain at this time. Seem like many people have been needlessly antagonized by Dogie and many a thread seems to be riddled with Dogie defending himself rather than promoting solutions for Bitmain customers.

====

Here is hoping that those like pekatete look beyond Dogie and get in contact with an actual employee at Bitmain. Having met some of the Bitmain people they are more than willing to learn from errors and will do what is required to fix problems. Here is hoping that the community has not given up on Bitmain they are trying to make things better. Here is also hoping the S5 is a solid machine. I own a couple of S2 still running hard 24/7 on an altcoin.

The problem here is Dogie claims to remain indifferent in how it claims to rate each company. No individual can remain completely unbiased when you are employed by one of them. If you go through many of his posts in other forums, they are usually one liners auto scripted, at times taken out of context. In bitmain forums, he rarely helps anyone to completion. Rather he hands off the problem to bitmain directly, wasting everyone's time.

On top of all this, he has hidden affiliate tags in his amazon links. If you have $1000 in your amazon shopping cart and click any of his links, even if you don't add it to your cart, Dogie will now get a cut of your purchase at checkout for the next 24 hours. Call it what you will, but I can't trust anyone who doesn't admit to this and at the same time, works for one of the major companies.

The final straw, he has insulted way too many people here. No company with any logic would hire him with his lack of community.
pak13

Activity: 112

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 06:50:18 PM

On the viability of S3's, I did not say they were no longer viable, in any case, there's the argument for S1 to S5 kits in the same suggestion (but of-course you conveniently skimmed over that).

I spoke with yoshi (by email) and they are considering an s1-s5 upgrade kit but not until they get some feedback on batch 1. Upgrade kits are not for inexperienced people and poor thermal paste application or nicking something with a screw driver could result in a few loud and disgruntled buyers who can't RMA a diy product that they damaged by improper installation.

My guess is upgrade kits will either have no warranty or be provided only in bulk packs of 5+ so that it isn't being sold to people incapable of correct use.

Lets be honest, the s5's are simply too little too late out of date technology. If underclocking them within the firmware was possible at 12v, they would have been a contender. Over the coming month with expected jumps of 20% or more, it's a loss leader. With no warranty, why would anyone consider this unless of course it was simply as a hobby, knowing you'd lose money anyway.
pekatete

Activity: 518

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2014, 07:18:03 PM

On the viability of S3's, I did not say they were no longer viable, in any case, there's the argument for S1 to S5 kits in the same suggestion (but of-course you conveniently skimmed over that).

I spoke with yoshi (by email) and they are considering an s1-s5 upgrade kit but not until they get some feedback on batch 1. Upgrade kits are not for inexperienced people and poor thermal paste application or nicking something with a screw driver could result in a few loud and disgruntled buyers who can't RMA a diy product that they damaged by improper installation.

My guess is upgrade kits will either have no warranty or be provided only in bulk packs of 5+ so that it isn't being sold to people incapable of correct use.

That sounds OK and thanks for taking the time to speak with the big man himself.

I completely understand that position, aka no warranty and mostly only being available in packs. But I think there is also market for bare S3 boards' packs, and I am sure they've also looked at that.

All round, good news and thanks for conveying it on Xmas day. Merry XMAS!

pekatete

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2014, 07:24:21 PM

The pricing is public knowledge on their website. We know from the pricing of the S1->S3 upgrade kit that the savings are minimal and are probably negative if you allocate a cost to your time to assemble the thing and it definitely goes negative when you calculate in the cost of the loss of the old miner which could have been sold as well as the loss for the time it take for them to release the upgrade kit (it took them over 2 months (IIRC) to release the S3 upgrade kit), so you lost 2 months of the difference of hashing with an S3 vs. the S1 at a lower difficulty. If you want a project, pursue your upgrades. For Bitmain it probably isn't worth the hassle. I'd rather have them focus on the S6 or S7 than be wasting time trying to save you $5.

You really are an opinionated nicompoop.
What makes you believe that we are all in this to fall within the constraints of your nifty little spreadsheet on whether we'll make returns and by when? And just in case you missed it, bitmain are actually considering an S1 to S5 kit, so there!

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2014, 07:36:17 PM

[...]

====

How about you actually post about anything related to the Antminer S5 - as per the thread topic - rather than attempting to flame me?

dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2014, 07:40:28 PM

The problem here is Dogie claims to remain indifferent in how it claims to rate each company. No individual can remain completely unbiased when you are employed by one of them. If you go through many of his posts in other forums, they are usually one liners auto scripted, at times taken out of context. In bitmain forums, he rarely helps anyone to completion. Rather he hands off the problem to bitmain directly, wasting everyone's time.

The final straw, he has insulted way too many people here. No company with any logic would hire him with his lack of community.

Pat, we all know what you're doing - you need to make some more accounts if you want to keep flaming from secret.

dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2014, 07:43:59 PM

You really are an opinionated nicompoop.
What makes you believe that we are all in this to fall within the constraints of your nifty little spreadsheet on whether we'll make returns and by when? And just in case you missed it, bitmain are actually considering an S1 to S5 kit, so there!

Its being considered as is every product, including S2 to S3 upgrades, S2 to S4 upgrades. It doesn't add any credence to the potential it will turn into a product. The main problem with the upgrade kits is they're expensive per GH to test as we have to assemble them, test, disassemble and reclean. That doesn't translate into unit savings for the customer so the sale price either has to be almost that of a complete unit. BITMAIN is about providing good value to customers, which upgrade kits can't always achieve.

pekatete

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2014, 07:56:32 PM

Its being considered as is every product, including S2 to S3 upgrades  <snip> .... waffle .... </snip>

Really? S2 to S3 upgrades? Does that amount to an upgrade or downgrade?

Tell me, is it possible to switch chips off on S3 or S5 boards at software level?

ASICSPACE

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

Feel free to contact me via email, skype or phone!

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2014, 08:03:55 PM

Exciting! Pretty good specs, and shipping soon.
I hope to host a few of these at my hosting service. =)

★★★★ Bitcoin Miner Hosting! ★★★★ $55/kw-month ★★★★ http://www.asicspace.com/ ★★ Best Prices in the hosting Industry! ★★★★
fresca

Activity: 69

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 08:58:21 PM

is a 1300 watt PSU enough to run two S5's?
IITravel01

Activity: 338
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 09:03:31 PM

It should, but it's close to boarding on it not (only 10% headroom).  I would think it's OK, but would keep on eye on the setup for a while before feeling comfortable leaving it unattended.
peonminer

Activity: 798
Merit: 531

Crypto is King.

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 09:05:42 PM

Can anyone speculate a price drop for current top selling/producing hardware on the market that will come due to the new chip the s5 runs? Names and price reductions in list form preferred. Thank you in advance if anyone can answer this.
IITravel01

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 09:10:44 PM

Looks like batch 2 is Sold Out.
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2014, 09:13:33 PM

Yes it is, as long as its not a terrible brand.

It should, but it's close to boarding on it not (only 10% headroom).  I would think it's OK, but would keep on eye on the setup for a while before feeling comfortable leaving it unattended.

S5s are 590W at the wall with a ~85% PSU. That means 500 pre PSU. 1000/1300 = plenty of headroom.

dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2014, 09:14:05 PM

Can anyone speculate a price drop for current top selling/producing hardware on the market that will come due to the new chip the s5 runs? Names and price reductions in list form preferred. Thank you in advance if anyone can answer this.

You'll have to talk to those other companies if you want to know what they are thinking.

IITravel01

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 09:16:09 PM

S5s are 590W at the wall with a ~85% PSU. That means 500 pre PSU. 1000/1300 = plenty of headroom.

The S3 specs. stated at the wall, but my meter on my power supply and my Kill-A-Watt showed that the readings were at the power supply.  If the S5 is the same then not so much headroom.
MyRig
Donator

Activity: 792
Merit: 510

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2014, 09:18:13 PM

@IITravel01,

It will consume 600W but it is depends on your PSU efficiency counts and if the PSU can take some overloading.  1300W PSU, sure there is not much overhead  Sad

The S3 specs. stated at the wall, but my meter on my power supply and my Kill-A-Watt showed that the readings were at the power supply.  If the S5 is the same then not so much headroom.

Antminer & DragonMint Repair  E-mail: support@myrig.com   T: @MyRig_com
Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... 295 »
  Print  

Jump to: