Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 05:02:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... 112 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Is bitcoin dead?  (Read 110806 times)
HarHarHar9965

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 06:11:32 PM

A $ price does not dictate whether or not bitcoin is dead or not.

As long as two or more people are using bitcoin it is alive.

price going sideways for a while or going downwards

yes, the price of dollar might help in determining how the market trade and demand is, but it is certainly not something which donates what the conclusion of another currency is, especially a digital currency. In a perfect scenario and continuation of the rise of bitcoin, the price and value of 1 bitcoin would always be equal to another bitcoin. 1 BTC= 1 BTC
what do you mean?the price and value of 1 bitcoin would always be equal to another bitcoin. 1 BTC= 1 BTC because i only know that the value of bitcoin didn't change and only the price will change.

basically I meant that it does not matter how much a bitcoin is worth in any currency, its price would not matter if things go as we imagine them to be. In a perfect world where total bitcoin adoption takes place, there would be very few who would give a care about what a bitcoin's worth would be, because it would be more beneficial to spend that 1 btc than cash it out, there would rather be no need to cash it out Cheesy
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 08:53:30 AM

Since the digital currency crashed in early 2014, consumers have been leery. So why is Israel’s bitcoin community growing, and why are venture capitalists investing in it like crazy?

Israel is doing a very nice job in the front of cryptocurrency. They made GEMZ, and other interesting apps, and they have a pretty nice regulatory framework so the innovation wont be stopped there.

Probably one of the biggest places where fintech can evolve in the 21 century, while other countries are being buried under the tons of regulations that destroy innovation.

But dont forget Latin America also, and South-East Asia, they will also play a huge role in Bitcoin, and eventually Africa too!

Dotakels

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 04:02:00 PM

A $ price does not dictate whether or not bitcoin is dead or not.

As long as two or more people are using bitcoin it is alive.

price going sideways for a while or going downwards

yes, the price of dollar might help in determining how the market trade and demand is, but it is certainly not something which donates what the conclusion of another currency is, especially a digital currency. In a perfect scenario and continuation of the rise of bitcoin, the price and value of 1 bitcoin would always be equal to another bitcoin. 1 BTC= 1 BTC
what do you mean?the price and value of 1 bitcoin would always be equal to another bitcoin. 1 BTC= 1 BTC because i only know that the value of bitcoin didn't change and only the price will change.

basically I meant that it does not matter how much a bitcoin is worth in any currency, its price would not matter if things go as we imagine them to be. In a perfect world where total bitcoin adoption takes place, there would be very few who would give a care about what a bitcoin's worth would be, because it would be more beneficial to spend that 1 btc than cash it out, there would rather be no need to cash it out Cheesy
Ahh ok , i only misunderstood your statement because you said that bitcoin price and value would always be equal to another bitcoin its suppose that value is only things that not change and price will definitely change.
wearepoor

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 07:21:44 PM

I don't think so, Bitcoin has great future and it is actually doing well. I think most of the people are still using bitcoins as the current monetary system is broken.
The money printing machine paradigm will not go on forever and bitcoin offers an alternative. It does not mean that we should convert all of our money to bitcoins but one can not completely dismiss the existance of bitcoins. In short Bitcoins has very long run and it will never dead.
Abiky
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1363

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 08:20:47 PM

bitcoin is still standing strong why consider it dead though

because some people here want to buy cheap coins and spread FUD.

Would you imagine Bitcoin's price to lower down to $100? This could all be possible thanks to Bitcoin XT. If that happens, I'll buy a big sum of Bitcoins and hold them for the next increase in price.
If the price of bitcoin increase after 2 years would you keep it? Because anything can happen, so you can't say that you can keep it until the price of bitcoin goes up again.

You do have a point there. I'll just hold them until there's an increase in price (around $1000) and hopefully cash out some coins into fiat. The rest of Bitcoins would be exchanged into Nubits. They're are pegged to the value of USD and thus, it would be a good option just in case Bitcoin's price goes down (I think). Just my opinion.  Roll Eyes

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
foxbitcoin

Activity: 593
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 09:33:04 PM

people talk when it goes down and they keep talking  when it goes up again.
Just ignore all the noise going on, and look at the bigger picture. We have something with value and people scrambling to get a piece of it.
cinnamon_carter
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

It's about time -- All merrit accepted !!!

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2015, 09:39:37 PM

are you kidding ?

bitcoin has been dead for years,

just read this 2011 article from wired http://www.wired.com/2011/11/mf_bitcoin/

Check out my coin Photon
Merge Mine 5 other Blake 256 coins - 6x your hash power  https://www.blakecoin.org/

The obvious choice is not always the best choice.

LOOK DEEPER - Look into the Blake 256 Family -- CC
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 10:36:45 PM

What do you think it'll take for it to be declared permanently alive and kicking?
RealBitcoin

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 05:05:39 AM

What do you think it'll take for it to be declared permanently alive and kicking?

There will be always skeptics, even if btc hits again 1000$, they will say that its another bubble and that it will pop too and die.

So if BTC hits 1000$, they will say its a bubble and it will die.
If BTC hits 150$ they will say its the end of the bubble and it will die.

So no matter what you do, there will always be some idiots who will doubt it.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 06:58:32 AM

are you kidding ?

but this is the first time that there is a serious internal dispute, yeah bitcoin has surpassed numerous cases of death, but this does not mean that we are not in dangerous with the fork

this is a thing of consensus nothing to compare with what happened in the past with the other two big fork, the bug overflow and the 2013 fork...
Dotakels

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 04:54:48 PM

Would you imagine Bitcoin's price to lower down to $100? This could all be possible thanks to Bitcoin XT. If that happens, I'll buy a big sum of Bitcoins and hold them for the next increase in price.
If the price of bitcoin increase after 2 years would you keep it? Because anything can happen, so you can't say that you can keep it until the price of bitcoin goes up again.

You do have a point there. I'll just hold them until there's an increase in price (around $1000) and hopefully cash out some coins into fiat. The rest of Bitcoins would be exchanged into Nubits. They're are pegged to the value of USD and thus, it would be a good option just in case Bitcoin's price goes down (I think). Just my opinion.  Roll Eyes
what is nubits?  yeah great idea that you will halved your coins and change it into different things such as fiat money and nubits and i don't have idea what is nubits.
RealBitcoin

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 05:04:04 PM

Yea but they are not pegged 100%, because they use a basked with like Peercoin and such.

If you really want a crypto-USD then try BITUSD, that one is really pegged to the dollar!

n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 05:17:42 PM

are you kidding ?

Telling that bitcoin is dead based in an article of 2011 when we are in the end of 2015 and bitcoin is more live than forever is purely a naivety. There are to many developments of bitcoin since that year that testify that bitcoin not only is not dead but is more live than ever. More known, more developed and more evaluated. Millions of people know now bitcoin and many of them own and use it. While in 2011 the number maybe were 1000 or 2000 people which have heard that word.

But are another thing that testify that bitcoin will not be dead never. The technology behind it. That technology which is disruptive for many other technologies will support always bitcoin and this would made it immortal.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 05:24:37 PM

There will be always skeptics, even if btc hits again 1000$, they will say that its another bubble and that it will pop too and die.

$1000 is still nothing. It could be squashed flat and the rest of the world wouldn't care less at that price level.
Abiky
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1363

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 05:33:52 PM

Yea but they are not pegged 100%, because they use a basked with like Peercoin and such.

If you really want a crypto-USD then try BITUSD, that one is really pegged to the dollar!

I know that BitUSD is an BitAsset from Bitshares. But I've never thought of it. As I can see, it is a better option than Nubits (which are not 100% pegged).

what is nubits?  yeah great idea that you will halved your coins and change it into different things such as fiat money and nubits and i don't have idea what is nubits.

Nubits is a crypto coin like Bitcoin. The only difference is that it has price stability which is pegged to the value of fiat.  Smiley

███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
kromtar

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

contracorriente

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 06:10:24 PM

In the near future only computer and things like 3d printer will be able to make wealth, and i think bitcoin fit very well in that type of society.

So i dont think its dead, it just need time to transition, like in every big technological step   Cheesy

can't even clean my ass with fiat Sad
RealBitcoin

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 06:12:43 PM

$1000 is still nothing. It could be squashed flat and the rest of the world wouldn't care less at that price level.

Ok but last time it didnt even hit 1000$ it was probably 870$ or something, because the mt gox guys have manipulated the prices with fake accounts.

Plus back then there were less bitcoins.

Now if it hits 1000$ that would be a 14,556,000,000$ market cap, which is not peanuts.

Its far bigger than any other newbie project in any sort of fintech, so the world would start to grab attention by then.

After it hits 100 billion $, then it will start to be really serious.

DieJohnny
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 11:35:21 PM

Ok but last time it didnt even hit 1000$ it was probably 870$ or something, because the mt gox guys have manipulated the prices with fake accounts.

Plus back then there were less bitcoins.

Now if it hits 1000$ that would be a 14,556,000,000$ market cap, which is not peanuts.

Its far bigger than any other newbie project in any sort of fintech, so the world would start to grab attention by then.

After it hits 100 billion $, then it will start to be really serious.

Imagine the capital that needs to be solidly into bitcoin to push the price to 100 billion..... does it feel like that kind of money is running into bitcoin, or even close?  No way in hell this thing is going anywhere for a long time.

I always thought the halving will be the catalyst, however, I think the number of coins mined has nothing to do with the current price. So halving will do nothing, if anything it will tank after the halving.

There will be nothing new in bitcoin land unless bitcoin itself improves in a way that a whole lot of people will value. I see nothing on the horizon that is that type of improvement. Nothing. It will happen, but I think we are 5-10 years from anything significant changing.

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
Shadough

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 05:40:56 AM

i think bitcoin can survive for decades or centuries imo
it still just facing issues now as what i can see Smiley
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2015, 05:55:52 AM

Imagine the capital that needs to be solidly into bitcoin to push the price to 100 billion..... does it feel like that kind of money is running into bitcoin, or even close?  No way in hell this thing is going anywhere for a long time.

I always thought the halving will be the catalyst, however, I think the number of coins mined has nothing to do with the current price. So halving will do nothing, if anything it will tank after the halving.

There will be nothing new in bitcoin land unless bitcoin itself improves in a way that a whole lot of people will value. I see nothing on the horizon that is that type of improvement. Nothing. It will happen, but I think we are 5-10 years from anything significant changing.

Although I mostly agree with everything you said, but that last point about the lack of future significant improvements which I simply can't. The logic behind my disagreement is quite simple, that is, you never know for sure what future holds. The history always repeats itself, something entirely unexpected happens all the time...

And it seems to be the only thing which can be taken as granted...

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... 112 »
  Print  

Jump to: