Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:10:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  
Author Topic: In 2015, faucets are bad for bitcoin  (Read 25895 times)
bitcoin4eva

Activity: 328
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 07:36:37 AM

In 2015, faucets are not bad but 100% DEAD for bitcoin
Nope, as someone mentioned, beginners benefit by getting some free satoshi to play with, plus people living in Africa will benefit too. They will big time too from sig campaigns, given their english is competent.

there are signature campaigns for newbies that pay 1k satoshi/post or so.

How long would take to faucet 1k Satoshi(I guess more than the time required to write 1 post)

Not that low! Maybe 100 satoshis per post, and those campaigns were very evident in 2014. Idk if there are still campaigns accepting newbies that offer better incentives than those of existing faucets.

There's not, because people would just create new accounts, spam until they get caught/banned, put the money they earned aside, and repeat the process. Not to mention newbies are really limited on signatures, which kills the flair.

Dont forget that some of the signature campaigns have a limit for how many posts/week/month the user will get credited for.

The limits are really worthless, when you think about it. You can buy and sell accounts on the forums. So if you want to go outside that limit, buy more accounts, max. out their limits, and continue doing that and using the money to get more (or just hold a few). Limits just add that extra step, and they really don't resolve anything.

Yea but the extra step added cuts down lazy people like me from posting more than the limit is Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Josef27

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 10:45:59 AM

when i started with bitcoin i was spending the first two weeks on trying to get as much coins as possible.
for newbie users it's a great way to get some coins for free and test a wallet with sending and receiving and such.
+1 for this one

I don't really know how to use bitcoin at first, but faucet give me experience about how they works and intorducing me into bitcoin world
If no faucet exist that day, I wouldn't knew about bitcoin until now.

See, maybe faucets isn't so bad.. And maybe it's very useless for someone understanding about Bitcoin and holding them. But it's really helpful for newcomers.
neoneros

Activity: 462

I can draw your avatar!

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2015, 11:36:52 AM

when i started with bitcoin i was spending the first two weeks on trying to get as much coins as possible.
for newbie users it's a great way to get some coins for free and test a wallet with sending and receiving and such.
+1 for this one

I don't really know how to use bitcoin at first, but faucet give me experience about how they works and intorducing me into bitcoin world

See, maybe faucets isn't so bad.. And maybe it's very useless for someone understanding about Bitcoin and holding them. But it's really helpful for newcomers.

It is nice to get your first satoshi without spending a lot of money. Spending time and losing it does not hurt as much as spending money and losing it. Investing is a risk, investigating and taking time to visit some faucets is not. It is a learning curve and a short incentive with a possitive feel you learned gained something.

If someone feels confident enough they might be pursueded to invest eventualy.

Orwell

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 12:13:27 PM

Faucets aren't bad. They're actually a great way for newbs to get involved in bitcoin, though obviously they're a triumphant waste of time given the piddly amount you get out of them but they still give plenty of newbs the bitcoin bug.
Cray4Cryptz

Activity: 23

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 03:37:00 PM

When BTC started, nobody had any and it was worthless, so it was right to give away thousands of BTC to make it popular. All that has changed. Now that BTC's worth something, now that companies are building on BTC, now that serious business transactions are made with bitcoin, it's about time for faucets to adapt.

BTC is real. It's money, and you've got to work to earn some. I hope all faucets will disappear in 2015. Faucets are hurting bitcoin by making some people believing you can get it while doing nothing sitting in your home. No, BTC isn't like that, and it shouldn't be any easier to get than any fiat currency. Even for small amounts.

Faucets maybe is the best way to lure in new Bitcoiners.
They should keep it if they do not have any acceptable explanation why theyre scrapping it.
adworker

Activity: 190
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 03:55:30 PM

No, faucets wont disappears in 2015. Faucets are used as a way to test Bitcoin for newcommers, because of such low payouts faucets cannot be abused from someone to get easy income from. It is just enought to get familiar with Bitcoin

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄ ■        SKYNET        ■ ▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▐▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     PRIVATE SALE is LIVE     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▌
Whitepaper   Bounty   Bitcointalk   ■   Facebook   Twitter   Telegram
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 07:38:05 PM

+1 for this one

It also gives the benefit of showing users that you can transact less than a cent, and still pay almost nothing to do it. Compare this to sending this through ACH (impossible), Western Union ($10+ and impossible), etc. Bitcoin is the only system that allows things like this (well, and other cryptos).

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
shit coin

Activity: 17

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 08:50:10 PM
Last edit: November 04, 2016, 07:16:12 PM by shit coin

When I was new I assumed I would need more than 1 cent of Bitcoins before I could start sending them. Faucets taught me otherwise.
cryptworld

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 08:51:21 PM

You have to think that with a faucet a newbie that does not know bitcoin can try to get some,to create a wallet a to make transactions

no newbies does not use faucets because they know faucets are not profitable
Brooker

Activity: 274

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 11:35:38 AM

You have to think that with a faucet a newbie that does not know bitcoin can try to get some,to create a wallet a to make transactions

True but it's still a waste of time and newbs usually realize this eventually. They'd be far better off spending their time either trying to do small tasks in the real world for cash and then buy coins or even better joining a signature campaign here. Even a newb can earn more posting here than collecting from faucets and you soon move up rank. Get a higher account and you can earn some decent money eventually.
R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 11:49:17 AM

or even better joining a signature campaign here

Given the recent controversy about signature campaign spam, I don't think joining one is “even better” at all.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
Whitehouse

Activity: 448

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 12:02:11 PM

No, faucets wont disappears in 2015. Faucets are used as a way to test Bitcoin for newcommers, because of such low payouts faucets cannot be abused from someone to get easy income from. It is just enought to get familiar with Bitcoin

People abuse faucets all the time by using multiple bots on multiple connections on multiple sites trying to milk them for all they're worth.

Given the recent controversy about signature campaign spam, I don't think joining one is “even better” at all.

Well I guess that depends on the quality of their posts. Obviously it's bad if they spam crap but if they do they'll get banned pretty quickly so it's in a users best interests to make quality posts. Either way using a faucet or spamming crap you're still wasting your time.

Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 01:35:07 PM

True but it's still a waste of time and newbs usually realize this eventually.

Agreed - the amount you get (last I checked) were so low that you could spend a year doing them over and over and would make about BTC0.01 which is just over $2.4USD at time of posting. It really is only useful for newbies who wish to experiment initially before moving onto bigger things.

Also, IIRC having dust in your address means that you might actually require a larger tx fee to be included in a block anytime soon - which itself might outvalue the value the of dust you have.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 01:39:13 PM

True but it's still a waste of time and newbs usually realize this eventually. They'd be far better off spending their time either trying to do small tasks in the real world for cash and then buy coins or even better joining a signature campaign here. Even a newb can earn more posting here than collecting from faucets and you soon move up rank. Get a higher account and you can earn some decent money eventually.

the role of faucets is for introducing only, there is no long term with them, they are good for introducing newbie to the bitcoin world, and they do this well, so no they aren't bad for bitcoin

there is basically a ladder to do for newbie with bitcoin, first you try faucets, then join a signature, and then you can start trading, and become good at it
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 02:08:46 PM

Faucets are good in any year of Bitcoin. Of course back in the day faucet gave you tons of BTC but BTC was worthless literally.

Now its peanuts but still useful for newbs to play with.
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1009

Ad maiora!

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 10:55:53 PM

Faucets are what they are. There have been countless "earn money online" schemes before btc was ever invented. Nothing new here. Neither pay out enough to be worth the trouble. It doesn't really reflect on btc itself. At least it doesn't devalue it, if anything it shows its true value. Work for a week clicking captchas and get 20 cents, it shows btc isn't free, in fact, it's valuable enough that no one is going to give it away. Mostly I wonder about the revenue these faucet sites take in. I ran a few blogs a few years ago and after countless hours doing SEO and creating key word rich content plus building decent traffic I was luck to make a few hundred bucks a month. Wasn't worth the effort and adsense still banned me for reasons they never made clear.
There is no free lunch, faucets are at best a "game" you won't get rich.
llanillo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 11:28:11 PM

I disagree with you, the faucets are rather a fundamental part in the world of bitcoins, faucets make it popular, attracting new users, and a lot more people use bitcoins thanks to the faucets, and many people actually make money with them, with their methods like getting 1000 referrals...

TIDEX ▬▬ .CRYPTO COINS AND ASSET TRADING. ▬▬ TIDEX
▬▬▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▬▬
NEW EXCHANGE   ZERO FEES
rayhan

Activity: 378

be your self

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 01:32:34 AM

actually when the bitcoin prices is low its a great time to playing faucet, because the prizes are given was increased .. imo

dollarneed

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 01:41:34 AM

faucet has wasted my time and my energy but atleast faucet has been introduced bitcoin for newbie, maybe there's a rule to regulate how much faucet paid people just sugesst  Cheesy
CryptoCobaine1

Activity: 43

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 01:43:11 AM

Spam? That's what they are by nature right? Advertising?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  

Jump to: