Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 11:07:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [DASH/XDN/XMR/SDC] Comparison between the most known anonymous coins (MUST READ)  (Read 33668 times)
nsimmons

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 11:37:23 PM

So...with DRK and XMR which one is Betamax and which one is VHS? Tongue

Beta was supposed to be the superior technology, right(XMR?)? But VHS had the network effect and user base(DRK?)?

I don't know regarding crypto, but beta is superior to vhs. I had some family go vhs, some beta. I remember rental stores having an equal volume for both. Beta was used professionally for years after vhs took over the home market.

Tech doesn't matter, perception matters. We still use internal combustion engines. Almost 200 year old tech.

adhitthana
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 06:03:26 AM

With a marketcap of 330K USD Shadowcash seems out of place. It doesn't from that perspective appear to put it in the same league as the other two.

This is more about the tech and going by that Shadow more than deserves to be included in this list.

Have there been any independent evaluations of SDC's tech compared to other altcoins?
SockPuppetAccount

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

MiG Messenger - earn while chatting

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2015, 07:15:22 AM

With a marketcap of 330K USD Shadowcash seems out of place. It doesn't from that perspective appear to put it in the same league as the other two.

This is more about the tech and going by that Shadow more than deserves to be included in this list.

Have there been any independent evaluations of SDC's tech compared to other altcoins?

I would be extremely interested in seeing independent evaluations of SDC by prominent members of the community.

To my untrained eyes, SDC seems like a very impressive project.  Evan from DRK even proposed a merger of the teams at one point so he had to be impressed by the SDC development team.

So it's really puzzling why SDC continues to remain such a huge underdog compared to DRK and XMR.
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 07:52:35 AM

I would be extremely interested in seeing independent evaluations of SDC by prominent members of the community.

They should ask Dan Metcalf, he can review any coin in a day or two max.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 08:20:34 AM

Cheesy nice one Tongue

So it's really puzzling why SDC continues to remain such a huge underdog compared to DRK and XMR.

I'd guess that the community is the reason. It signals itself in similar ways to pump and dump scamcoins. Especially from the very beginning by getting so involved comparing itself to Bob Surplus' pump and dump Stealthcoin. SDC has never really been presented as a legitimate project like say XMR is, despite the fact that it's apparently turned out to be one with some new tech implementations and such.

stonehedge
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1002

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 10:20:22 AM

Cheesy nice one Tongue

I'd guess that the community is the reason. It signals itself in similar ways to pump and dump scamcoins. Especially from the very beginning by getting so involved comparing itself to Bob Surplus' pump and dump Stealthcoin. SDC has never really been presented as a legitimate project like say XMR is, despite the fact that it's apparently turned out to be one with some new tech implementations and such.

That and an above average number of SDC trolls and shills giving it a bad rep.
SockPuppetAccount

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

MiG Messenger - earn while chatting

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2015, 10:31:42 AM

Only for Prometheus and always right at the peak of the pump.  Definitely a coincidence and surely no collusion occurred.

That does make sense.  Now that I look back on it, I think I ignored it from the start because that's exactly what I assumed it would be.  Back then there was a new POS coin promising revolutionary anonymous tech every day, it was easy to ignore.

Development continues to chug along and it looks more impressive and legitimate every time I look at it so I have made a modest investment.  Considering it's marketcap is peanuts compared to XMR and DRK, it has plenty of room for growth if public perception shifts and it begins to be viewed as a more serious project.
00Smurf

Activity: 476

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 10:32:50 AM

Thats only because hes reviewing his own code. lol
razen489

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 10:41:31 AM

Good one. Thanks for compiling!
ffmad
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2015, 11:04:19 AM

Cheesy nice one Tongue

It might really be the problem here.

In fact we didn't compare to Bobsurplus scams, it's BobSurplus who keep attacking SDC, from LibrexCoin to XST, and even BlockNet https://twitter.com/EMC2Whale/status/517517379656749056

Some of the Shadow fan/members replied to this attacks, and Longandshort even attacked them, showing where this coins were a joke.

So until december 2014 we were under constant attack by BobSurplus puppet accounts, pump group members and XST fans.

As a result, our communication was a mess for a very long time. And a lot of people didn't take the project seriously  Sad

▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████
████▀                  ▀████
███▀   ▄████████████▄   ▀███
███    ██████████████    ███
███    ████      ████    ███
███    ██████████████    ███
███    █████████████▀   ▄███
███    ████            ▄████
██    ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████
▀█▄  ▀████████████████▀▀
fparticlf█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█ ▀ ▀ ▀                    █
█                          █
█    ▀▀█▄                  █
█       █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█      █
█        █▄       ▄█▀      █
█         █▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀        █
█          █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      █
█      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█      █
█       █▀█      █▀█       █
█   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   █
█        ▄  ▄  ▄  ▄        █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
.Infinite .
.Markets.
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ████  ████  ████  ████  █
.Public or..
.Private  ...
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█ ▀▀▀▀         ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ █
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█          ▄▄▄▄▄           █
█         █▀   ▀█          █
█        █▀     ▀█         █
█      ▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄       █
█       ▄▀▀▄   ▄▀▀▄        █
█       ▀▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▀        █
.RingCT........
.Anonymity .
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Dofus (OP)

Activity: 399

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 01:57:43 PM

Cheesy nice one Tongue

It might really be the problem here.

In fact we didn't compare to Bobsurplus scams, it's BobSurplus who keep attacking SDC, from LibrexCoin to XST, and even BlockNet https://twitter.com/EMC2Whale/status/517517379656749056

Some of the Shadow fan/members replied to this attacks, and Longandshort even attacked them, showing where this coins were a joke.

So until december 2014 we were under constant attack by BobSurplus puppet accounts, pump group members and XST fans.

As a result, our communication was a mess for a very long time. And a lot of people didn't take the project seriously  Sad

Now the project is starting to win awarness from the altcoin community, this is great. The problem is always about the FUD, false accusations and everything from guys trying to throw one of the best anon project.
misterycoins

Activity: 249

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 07:05:58 PM

The anonymization is handled by those "configured wallets", it's still not end to end.

Optimising monetary fungibility is a very different technical objective from implementing "end to end" anonymity.

If we look back at historical monetary media, like gold, there was no "end to end" anonymity in the sense that people wre trying to hide their transactions. But there was full fungibility (at least optionally) due to gold's low melting point.

A minted coin could be recognised from one transaction to the next but then if a pile of them were melted down and turned into bars instead, the coins were no longer recognisable.

So "hiding the transaction" is a distinct priority from "showing the transaction" but optimising monetary fungibility. In that sense, cryptonote tech is persuing the former and darkcoin tech is persuing the latter by supporting pre-emptive mixing - or 'melting' while the coins are in the wallet. In darkcoin, the coin supply is being continually anonymised because it gets done in your wallet, the previous wallet, the one before that and the one before that. There is less emphasis on any 1 transaction and more emphasis on keeping the coin supply as a whole anonymous and fungible.

Whatever the specific comparisons on the effectiveness of cryptography vs mixing, they are largely irrelevant because darkcoin's massive redundancy and iterative approach blows away any deficiency. It's also a more holistic approach which addresses monetary priorities rather than security ones.

For a prospective monetary medium, thats the right way around in my opinion.

Very good points indeed.
WealthyBastard

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 04:13:27 AM

I'd like more DRK/XMR/SDC soldiers debate here about there projects, it could be interesting I think.
Just be friendly folks
dasource

Activity: 821

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 11:24:37 AM
Last edit: March 16, 2015, 11:52:20 AM by dasource

<snip>

Whatever the specific comparisons on the effectiveness of cryptography vs mixing, they are largely irrelevant because darkcoin's massive redundancy and iterative approach blows away any deficiency. It's also a more holistic approach which addresses monetary priorities rather than security ones.

I would have to disagree for a number of reasons.

Firstly, most MasterNodes(DRK) are currently hosted on VMs and that in itself is your biggest design down-fall. MN need to be "running" to provide a service and that requires a reliable and cheap place to host (so where does everyone flock to? yeah you got it Amazon, Vultr, DO etc). Where as cryptography based solution does not require this.

Secondly, as our good friend at ZeroCash said "methods of analysis only get stronger" - a cryptography based solution is the only way forward IMO.

As someone who has spent the best part of the last 11 years in the cloud R&D arena I know how easy it is for the Big Brother to request and gain access to data from cloud providers without the end user ever knowing .. and this my friend is where MasterNodes has a major design flaw. For all you know a very large % (very very large) is already de-anonymised.

There are far too many people in this space who spout out tech knowledge without understanding it; very dangerous!!
Lastly, I have yet to see a solution to the "anonymity" war which is better than a cryptography based one.

^ I am with STUPID!
bitcreditscc

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 12:06:02 PM

<snip>

Firstly, most MasterNodes(DRK) are currently hosted on VMs and that in itself is your biggest design down-fall. MN need to be "running" to provide a service and that requires a reliable and cheap place to host (so where does everyone flock to? yeah you got it Amazon, Vultr, DO etc). Where as cryptography based solution does not require this.

Secondly, as our good friend at ZeroCash said "methods of analysis only get stronger" - a cryptography based solution is the only way forward IMO.

As someone who has spent the best part of the last 11 years in the cloud R&D arena I know how easy it is for the Big Brother to request and gain access to data from cloud providers without the end user ever knowing .. and this my friend is where MasterNodes has a major design flaw. For all you know a very large % (very very large) is already de-anonymised.

There are far too many people in this space who spout out tech knowledge without understanding it; very dangerous!!
Lastly, I have yet to see a solution to the "anonymity" war which is better than a cryptography based one.

flaws in your assesment,

MN is nothing special, it's just a wallet with extra settings enabled, there is no requirement for VPS, it's just a choice.

DRK is global, there are tons of places in the world where you can host a MN and noone will bother you.

You clearly don't understand the function of MN that is why you would say
For all you know a very large % (very very large) is already de-anonymised.

Every Wallet is a potential masternode, there is no de anonymizing the whole network.

You fall in that category.

I do agree that Cryptographic solutions are better and are something to strive for, but there are many ways to skin a cat.

rustynailer

Activity: 725

Boycott Qatar 2022

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 12:12:22 PM

<snip>

I think this is the very reason for Dark/Dash pulling out of the anon race.
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 12:33:02 PM

I'd like more DRK/XMR/SDC soldiers debate here about there projects, it could be interesting I think.

When your thread doesn't get any attention on its own merit despite taking turns pumping it up, what's left is to attack and start trolling other projects directly and hope your provocation works and they finally stop ignoring you. I guess you succeeded and I fell for it, so what the heck:

People run their masternodes on cheap VMs right now because it's cheap. Because DRK DASH is still very cheap, the rewards for running a node is small - around $30/month or so. If/when DRK DASH grows enough that authorities who can request private data from cloud operators actually get interested enough to do so, the rewards for running a masternode are likely to be more than $1000/month. And when you get $1000/month for running a node, you're not going to run it in Amazon. Obviously someone might, but that's ok - anonymization by masternodes is designed to resists huge sybil attacks.
rustynailer

Boycott Qatar 2022

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 12:51:55 PM

When your thread doesn't get any attention on its own merit despite taking turns pumping it up, what's left is to attack and start trolling other projects directly and hope your provocation works and they finally stop ignoring you. I guess you succeeded and I fell for it, so what the heck:

People run their masternodes on cheap VMs right now because it's cheap. Because DRK DASH is still very cheap, the rewards for running a node is small - around $30/month or so. If/when DRK DASH grows enough that authorities who can request private data from cloud operators actually get interested enough to do so, the rewards for running a masternode are likely to be more than $1000/month. And when you get $1000/month for running a node, you're not going to run it in Amazon. Obviously someone might, but that's ok - anonymization by masternodes is designed to resists huge sybil attacks.

Where have I been trolling other projects.  This is a thread about all three projects and I stated that I think Dark have pulled out of the anon race. 
Is this is not a fair observation on recent events?

stonehedge
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1002

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 01:02:50 PM

Where have you got the idea that DRK has pulled out of the anon race?  What does this even mean?
rustynailer

Boycott Qatar 2022

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 01:09:20 PM

Where have you got the idea that DRK has pulled out of the anon race?  What does this even mean?

They are not Dark anymore, they are Dash.  Is this not a complete change in direction?  Consumer adoption seems to be more the priority rather than anonymity.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: