Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:10:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 [827] 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 ... 1348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It  (Read 3916342 times)
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 10:05:07 AM

I'm sure FC is more interested in making millions that taking 7 days off.
I'm sorry, but this post is a bit... silly.

Of course the CEO wants to make more money... but unless every single employee is a shareholder, of course they are going to take a vacation, given the chance!

We know the number of "core staff" at ASICMINER is very small. All I'm saying is I very much doubt they will be taking a week off at such a pivotal point in time. Entrepreneurs don't work like that in my experience, they are driven.

The factory staff are probably doing nothing at this stage, its not like there are any chips to manufacture or package. So sure, they could probably take the next 2 months off and nobody would notice.
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 10:06:48 AM

all we can do is wait for some more info.

do you guys rly think there is that there is so much *insider only*info going on

History tells us yes, AM info leaks out via "webgirls" and resellers before it reaches this "official" forum.

dam i guess i have to keep an eye out, on more than just posts from FC

The thing is you have to know to where to look, and reading Mandarin is a definite bonus as well. No wonder we all feel so "left behind" - in the end, we just tend to get the info 2nd-hand from Chinese forum members here kind enough to pass the info on. ASICMINER said they would employ a "PR person" .... at least 3 months ago. So far, zippo.

I disagree with the assumption of insider trading. Many times before updates we have seen a sudden price increase even when the news is not spectacular. For example last update we saw the price jump and after the update fall back down and people claimed insider trading then too.

The price has doubled in the last two weeks. If that is people just waiting for the 20th, then they are dumb schmucks. They should have just bought on the 10th and saved themselves 50%
Rival

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 02:16:54 PM

The price has doubled in the last two weeks. If that is people just waiting for the 20th, then they are dumb schmucks. They should have just bought on the 10th and saved themselves 50%

The best time to plant a tree is 50 years ago. The second best time is today.
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 03:43:39 PM

not if the tree will be cut down for a parking lot in the next 2 years.

AFAIC, asicminer has not given nay info or suggestions about the next gen and unless they do something soon they will be the netscape of bitcoin mining.

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
Rival

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 03:51:58 PM

not if the tree will be cut down for a parking lot in the next 2 years.

AFAIC, asicminer has not given nay info or suggestions about the next gen and unless they do something soon they will be the netscape of bitcoin mining.

I see this as a false dichotomy. AM can certainly tell no one anything and still produce gen3 chips, deploy massive Phash, and capture 20% of the global hash, and at the same time produce millions for investors in hardware sales. You cannot simply equate a lack of communication with a lack of results. That would be irrational.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 04:09:31 PM

Waiting for news and reacting to that news by buying / selling is a perfectly decent strategy.
But waiting for a specific date and reacting to that date, is just plain dumb. Especially when sod all happened on that date Wink
chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 04:14:08 PM

Like everyone here... I would love a quick update from friedcat. Around now would be a good time...

Activity: 525

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 04:36:45 PM

not strictly AM related, but still a good read:

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2014/01/21/bitcoin-infrastructure-mining-data-center/

empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 04:39:05 PM

Like everyone here... I would love a quick update from friedcat. Around now would be a good time...

Especially since last fc post was 10th December Sad
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 04:40:19 PM

Especially since last fc post was 10th December Sad

Assumes we shall wait in suspense till the day after dividends but who knows its around the general time right now

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 08:45:54 PM

Also a lot of the hardware they have put out has seen different revisions.  I think the USBs went through a few different versions before the Sapphire release which rocked, even the Cube that came out has different revs of miniblades...  Even the firmware on the Cube takes time to put together.  This is new gen to them, so I don't think they'll be able to hammer off boards this weekend but they will probably be pushing as hard as they can.  I know that when I buy a next gen Block Erupter I'll want it to be thoroughly tested and tuned!

Also, unfortunately...  We went to order some random cables from China this week and today they told us they were taking off for their holiday (Chinese New Year).  They said they'd be back in the office Feb 8th.  This may apply to many of the suppliers and services they may need to use in the next few weeks.  So they might not only be able to start working mid-Feb.  But... Again, I have no idea what I'm talking about, just going from common sense really.

I'm loving the name, mc_lovin, one of my favorite films, but I'm not sure what "ordering some random cables from China" has to do with AM working on next-gen chips. I humbly suggest the two are not connected. I'd also suggest you get your cables elsewhere because your "cable guys" are pulling a fast one Wink

I'm just saying that there are probably a lot of little parts to order and they may have difficulties at this time to obtain them.  I'm not saying because this one company is taking 3 weeks off that everyone will.  I'm just saying maybe, there may be delays in the next little while.  Apparently officially it's Jan31st and lasts for about a week.  I'm not Chinese, I don't live there or study their culture, just that there are companies shutting down early, some working right through, who the hell knows.  But tapeout = Jan 20th does not equal a shipping product.  The key point of my pointless post was that mid-February is the EARLIEST you can expect something.  I would say March. 
bitcoin.newsfeed

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 08:59:32 PM

I see this as a false dichotomy. AM can certainly tell no one anything and still produce gen3 chips, deploy massive Phash, and capture 20% of the global hash, and at the same time produce millions for investors in hardware sales. You cannot simply equate a lack of communication with a lack of results. That would be irrational.

You're forgetting about one thing : human greed. Have you been paying attention on Chinese mining mafia? "Discus Fish" pool for example? Sure they can produce millions ... for themselves. Why they need to produce millions for so called "investors"? They don't need our money anymore. We're redundant here. Maybe even a burden. And they're proving it every day with their non-existing PR.

edit : again ...we're waiting months for 20th January 2014 ... and its 21st now and nobody from company don't have a time to come here and write few words for us. Seems like they don't give a shit about us and yes I am pissed off.

... Question Everything, Believe Nothing ...
aahzmundus

Activity: 644

Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 09:27:20 PM

You're forgetting about one thing : human greed. Have you been paying attention on Chinese mining mafia? "Discus Fish" pool for example? Sure they can produce millions ... for themselves. Why they need to produce millions for so called "investors"? They don't need our money anymore. We're redundant here. Maybe even a burden. And they're proving it every day with their non-existing PR.

edit : again ...we're waiting months for 20th January 2014 ... and its 21st now and nobody from company don't have a time to come here and write few words for us. Seems like they don't give a shit about us and yes I am pissed off.

I was thinking about this... a while ago.  What is going to keep them paying dividends?  I believe firstly since the company is so lean, having a force of people out on the internet talking up their company when their products are released has value.  I imagine Asicminer is going to want to keep selling hardware, as managing hardware is an extra cost when there is so much demand for hardware out in the community, and you can sell it for a good price.

Additionally, there are several shareholders who have enough resources and connections that if friedcat did simply stop paying dividends, yet was still mining in some way... I imagine having to "watch his back" all the time would get frustrating.  Additionally, the legal status of his operation in china is in flux, I doubt he would want to draw unwanted attention.

Tl;DR I believe friedcat benefits more from staying honest and honoring shares, then he does from keeping profits to himself, I may be wrong.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 09:51:55 PM

I was thinking about this... a while ago.  What is going to keep them paying dividends?  I believe firstly since the company is so lean, having a force of people out on the internet talking up their company when their products are released has value.  I imagine Asicminer is going to want to keep selling hardware, as managing hardware is an extra cost when there is so much demand for hardware out in the community, and you can sell it for a good price.

Additionally, there are several shareholders who have enough resources and connections that if friedcat did simply stop paying dividends, yet was still mining in some way... I imagine having to "watch his back" all the time would get frustrating.  Additionally, the legal status of his operation in china is in flux, I doubt he would want to draw unwanted attention.

Tl;DR I believe friedcat benefits more from staying honest and honoring shares, then he does from keeping profits to himself, I may be wrong.

Not to mention FC and his team are majority shareholders.  The shares cost them nothing but their time and effort, which they have already been compensated for with their generous salaries.  These shares are worth 0.6 BTC each after IPOing at 0.1 each at a time that BTCUSD was MUCH lower.  Stopping dividends would crush the value of these shares.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
michaelGedi

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

"to be or not to be, that is the bitcoin"

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 09:58:32 PM

On the whole he/AM have been fairly straightforward about their operations (although we never did see the full 200TH deployed for mining around mid 2013 onwards, solo mining anyways) ...a large number of people have shared the profits of their professionalism running a successful business.

I think the bitcoin world has been so full of FUD and scams that it's only natural to have question marks around the future... especially during this "down time" for AM.

Personally I trust that friedcat and crew will continue their operations under the AM banner in some shape or form, but that said, there is nothing to prevent them from investing their time and money elsewhere... it's theirs to invest.

some speculation here:

I noticed this post in another thread a while back and it made me wonder: (he is talking about Bitmain's U1 miner)

once the software catches up to these sticks they are going to kill.  I am getting a steady 2.0 from each one.

These have to be asic miners  new block erupters.
 they are the exact same size as a block eruptor .
they have the same id as a block erupter.
  fried cat  = sushi
first sale of 4000 at 45 btc a case
second sale of 20000 at 33 btc a case
new years eve promo at 31 btc a case
made in china
 a shit load of commonalities
 these sticks rock.

6x the hash at less power and stable.

they will bury the bit fury sticks..   2 gh at .075btc vs  2.5gh at .25btc not much to think about.

Forgive me if someone has already asked this question:

Is Bitmain an offshoot of asicminer that has built upon the investment of asicminer shareholders but is not accountable to asicminer shareholders?  Bitmain's U1 miner looks like it is what should be the second or third generation of Asicminer's USB block erupter.

IF AM were to cease operations, I have faith that friedcat would wind this down in an appropriate manner with appropriate announcements, but RE the "20th" date....?? people need to stop being so immature and impatient as far as I'm concerned. Eveything in bitcoinland is still high risk, just deal with it and take a deep breath if you want to play this game...

TRADE FOREX, STOCKS AND COMMODITIES without the paperwork with Bitcoin: https://1broker.com/m/r.php?i=3589

1BROKER has been around since 2012 and is going strong
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 11:01:07 PM

On the whole he/AM have been fairly straightforward about their operations (although we never did see the full 200TH deployed for mining around mid 2013 onwards, solo mining anyways) ...a large number of people have shared the profits of their professionalism running a successful business.

I think the bitcoin world has been so full of FUD and scams that it's only natural to have question marks around the future... especially during this "down time" for AM.

Personally I trust that friedcat and crew will continue their operations under the AM banner in some shape or form, but that said, there is nothing to prevent them from investing their time and money elsewhere... it's theirs to invest.

some speculation here:

I noticed this post in another thread a while back and it made me wonder: (he is talking about Bitmain's U1 miner)

once the software catches up to these sticks they are going to kill.  I am getting a steady 2.0 from each one.

These have to be asic miners  new block erupters.
  fried cat  = sushi
made in china
 these sticks rock.

they will bury the bit fury sticks..   2 gh at .075btc vs  2.5gh at .25btc not much to think about.

Is Bitmain an offshoot of asicminer that has built upon the investment of asicminer shareholders but is not accountable to asicminer shareholders?  Bitmain's U1 miner looks like it is what should be the second or third generation of Asicminer's USB block erupter.

IF AM were to cease operations, I have faith that friedcat would wind this down in an appropriate manner with appropriate announcements, but RE the "20th" date....?? people need to stop being so immature and impatient as far as I'm concerned. Eveything in bitcoinland is still high risk, just deal with it and take a deep breath if you want to play this game...

Totally.  The 20th was just an estimate.  It could have been last week for all we know!
cunixion

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 01:17:48 AM

some speculation here:

once the software catches up to these sticks they are going to kill.  I am getting a steady 2.0 from each one.

These have to be asic miners  new block erupters.
  fried cat  = sushi
made in china
 these sticks rock.

they will bury the bit fury sticks..   2 gh at .075btc vs  2.5gh at .25btc not much to think about.

Is Bitmain an offshoot of asicminer that has built upon the investment of asicminer shareholders but is not accountable to asicminer shareholders?  Bitmain's U1 miner looks like it is what should be the second or third generation of Asicminer's USB block erupter.

IMHO FC is working on a prototype to regain a fair size of the market, hope he announces a bitmain's killer. 
stripykitteh
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 05:23:14 AM

I'm just saying that there are probably a lot of little parts to order and they may have difficulties at this time to obtain them.  I'm not saying because this one company is taking 3 weeks off that everyone will.  I'm just saying maybe, there may be delays in the next little while.  Apparently officially it's Jan31st and lasts for about a week.  I'm not Chinese, I don't live there or study their culture, just that there are companies shutting down early, some working right through, who the hell knows.  But tapeout = Jan 20th does not equal a shipping product.  The key point of my pointless post was that mid-February is the EARLIEST you can expect something.  I would say March.  

I think March is too optimistic.

Tapeout just means the design is finished.

*If* they taped-out on Jan 20, and the fab started making the mask straight away it wouldn't be finished until late February at the earliest assuming that the fab will shut down for a week at the beginning of February. Then they have to actually make the wafers, slice them, package them, bump them and test them. If all that goes as fast as practically possible, and the tests results are good enough, then they can produce the chips in volume. I think with everything going about as well as could be expected they might have chips in volume by early April, not earlier. Then they've got to put them on PCBs and do final packaging.

If they have working miners in volume by the end of April they will have excelled themselves. Anyone who hopes for significantly sooner is going to be disappointed.

Edit: Also, considering they are going for a liquid-cooled data centre in a shipping container, they will have to test that configuration out as well. I think late April to get one of those puppies cooking would be an amazing effort.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 05:26:38 AM

I'm just saying that there are probably a lot of little parts to order and they may have difficulties at this time to obtain them.  I'm not saying because this one company is taking 3 weeks off that everyone will.  I'm just saying maybe, there may be delays in the next little while.  Apparently officially it's Jan31st and lasts for about a week.  I'm not Chinese, I don't live there or study their culture, just that there are companies shutting down early, some working right through, who the hell knows.  But tapeout = Jan 20th does not equal a shipping product.  The key point of my pointless post was that mid-February is the EARLIEST you can expect something.  I would say March.  

*If* they taped-out on Jan 20, and the fab started making the mask straight away it wouldn't be finished until late February at the earliest assuming that the fab will shut down for a week at the beginning of February. Then they have to actually make the wafers, slice them, package them, bump them and test them. If all that goes as fast as practically possible, and the tests results are good enough, then they can produce the chips in volume. I think with everything going about as well as could be expected they might have chips in volume by early April, not earlier. Then they've got to put them on PCBs and do final packaging.

If they have working miners in volume by the end of April they will have excelled themselves. Anyone who hopes for significantly sooner is going to be disappointed.

There was never any realistic chance of March. April at best.
Rival

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 04:00:28 PM

There was never any realistic chance of March. April at best.

Unless they taped out at the end of last month and just didn't happen to mention it to anyone. All conjecture at this point.
Pages: « 1 ... 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 [827] 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 ... 1348 »
  Print  

Jump to: