Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:38:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 ... 1348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It  (Read 3916324 times)
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 07:42:20 AM
Last edit: March 19, 2013, 07:54:05 AM by mrb

This point will make sense if we are still mining with GPU. To be more accurate try the history of price/diff ratio when we started GPU mining and consider that ASIC got way less vendors than GPUs.

This point will always make sense. The 3-month average of the price/diff ratio has always been either stagnating or decreasing over time (sometimes decreasing a lot during crashes), since Bitcoin was first traded on exchanges. This spans the CPU, GPU, and FPGA mining ages.

If you don't know that, then you don't know what you are doing by investing in any mining operation.

Mausini keeps talking about "in the future when operation costs will be high". But at that time, ASICs will be widely available (since competing ASICS will be what causes ASICMINER to have higher operation costs), therefore, again, miners will be able to quickly respond to increases of the exchange rate by deploying new mining capacity.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
VeeMiner

Activity: 752
Merit: 500

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 07:53:32 AM

This point will make sense if we are still mining with GPU. To be more accurate try the history of price/diff ratio when we started GPU mining and consider that ASIC got way less vendors than GPUs.

This point will always make sense. The 3-month average of the price/diff ratio has always been either stagnating or decreasing over time (sometimes decreasing a lot during crashes), since Bitcoin was first traded on exchanges. This spans the CPU, GPU, and FPGA mining ages.

Mausini keeps talking about "in the future when operation costs will be high". But at that time, ASICs will be widely available (since competing ASICS will be what causes ASICMINER to have high operation costs), therefore, again, miners will be able to quickly respond to increases of the exchange rate by deploying new mining capacity.

this is only true in a long run (as it looks right now the long run is at least half a year). Neither BFL nor anyone else on the current market have any way of supplying enough machines to cover the demand. This might be different in half a year or in a year but so far ASICMINER is free to rake in the mining profit because there is not enough supply to cover the demand for ASIC devices.
mrb
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 08:04:01 AM
Last edit: March 19, 2013, 08:19:00 AM by mrb

this is only true in a long run (as it looks right now the long run is at least half a year). Neither BFL nor anyone else on the current market have any way of supplying enough machines to cover the demand. This might be different in half a year or in a year but so far ASICMINER is free to rake in the mining profit because there is not enough supply to cover the demand for ASIC devices.

You do not understand what I said, or even what Mausini's argument was.

The short term is basically irrelevant. ASICMINER's relative operation costs are currently close to 0%. They will remain close to 0% until other ASIC vendors ship. Therefore the exchange rate can increase all it wants while other ASIC vendors scramble, it will not be an argument for increasing the fair value (numbered in BTC) of an ASICMINER share because they already inherently gain value through this BTC appreciation. See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.msg1624754#msg1624754 How many times do I have to explain the same thing?
Mausini

Activity: 177
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 09:14:04 AM

The short term is basically irrelevant. ASICMINER's relative operation costs are currently close to 0%. They will remain close to 0% until other ASIC vendors ship. Therefore the exchange rate can increase all it wants while other ASIC vendors scramble, it will not be an argument for increasing the fair value (numbered in BTC) of an ASICMINER share because they already inherently gain value through this BTC appreciation. See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.msg1624754#msg1624754 How many times do I have to explain the same thing?

You will have to explain it as many times as it takes to make it become true. That is, infinity.
mrb
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 09:32:24 AM

You will have to explain it as many times as it takes to make it become true. That is, infinity.

Yes, when BTC doubles from $25 to $50, a 0.6 BTC share also doubles from $15 to $30. I know this reality is quite hard for you to grasp... Obviously, you are now either running out of arguments, or just trolling Roll Eyes
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 09:34:44 AM

Yes, when BTC doubles from $25 to $50, a 0.6 BTC share also doubles from $15 to $30. I know this reality is quite hard for you to grasp... Obviously, now, either you ran out of arguments, or you are just trolling  Roll Eyes
Let's assume that BTC crashed down to $10. While the value of ASICMINER's shares in BTC shouldn't change, there will be people selling all their BTC assets and wanting to get out of BTC. It's likely that the BTC rally contributed to increased pressure / higher prices, but I don't think that is the only contributor, more of how ASICMINER is going to deploy a truckload of hashpower..
VeeMiner

Activity: 752
Merit: 500

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 09:42:19 AM

Yes, when BTC doubles from $25 to $50, a 0.6 BTC share also doubles from $15 to $30. I know this reality is quite hard for you to grasp... Obviously, you are now either running out of arguments, or just trolling Roll Eyes

I agree with you that since ASICMINER is a bitcoin-based system, (deals in bitcoin mining, sends dividends in bitcoins)there's no point in thinking in USD value. It does not matter much what is the price of BTC in USD or whatever other fiat currency for the price of ASICMINER shares. However you still haven't proven your initial point in saying the ASICMINER shares are overpriced. Wherever I look (BTCfunder, btct.co, bitcointalk.org auctions) The price of the shares is 0.8 or higher. So say whatever you want to say, the market for the ASICMINER shares says that the shares are worth a lot more than 0.6 which you said was too much. I think this should conclude the discussion and if you want to keep talking about the shares price maybe we should move to another thread so we don't clutter this one up.
Mausini

Activity: 177

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 04:31:56 PM

My initial point was that ASICMINER shares can only profit from higher USD/BTC rates in comparison to SatoshiDice shares that will go down, because their profit in BTC arguably correlates with the amount of USD, players are willing to bet.

This discussion led to the question if AM share valuation in BTC would even increase with higher USD/BTC rates or if it would remain constant. We were of different opinion. Here is a little thought experiment: Let's assume AM's electricity bill was paid in BTC, meaning that kwh have a constant price in BTC and it would be the same all around the world. We would still have the competition between miners in terms of mining hardware quantity and efficiency. Now, if USD/BTC appreciates like today (woooooha), the same amount of btc (and that means more USD) as before the appreciation are going to the electricity provider. ASICMINER could pay less dividends - as they do now - to shareholders and hence share evaluation would be lower. Fortunately however, ASICMINER does pay it's electricity bill in USD and conclusively profits from BTC appreciation.

Please feel free to challenge my thoughts, but do not tell me how many great models you calculated, how long you have been doing something and how many times you said something.
JordanL
Donator

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 09:40:04 PM

I am currently selling up to 100 shares of ASICMINER for 0.94 BTC per share. Happy to use escrow if needed.

PM me if interested.
rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 09:42:29 PM

My initial point was that ASICMINER shares can only profit from higher USD/BTC rates in comparison to SatoshiDice shares that will go down, because their profit in BTC arguably correlates with the amount of USD, players are willing to bet.

This discussion led to the question if AM share valuation in BTC would even increase with higher USD/BTC rates or if it would remain constant. We were of different opinion. Here is a little thought experiment: Let's assume AM's electricity bill was paid in BTC, meaning that kwh have a constant price in BTC and it would be the same all around the world. We would still have the competition between miners in terms of mining hardware quantity and efficiency. Now, if USD/BTC appreciates like today (woooooha), the same amount of btc (and that means more USD) as before the appreciation are going to the electricity provider. ASICMINER could pay less dividends - as they do now - to shareholders and hence share evaluation would be lower. Fortunately however, ASICMINER does pay it's electricity bill in USD and conclusively profits from BTC appreciation.

Please feel free to challenge my thoughts, but do not tell me how many great models you calculated, how long you have been doing something and how many times you said something.

one correction, if I may, since its based in China I believe the bill is in CNY.
mrb
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 01:41:45 AM

I agree with you that since ASICMINER is a bitcoin-based system, (deals in bitcoin mining, sends dividends in bitcoins)there's no point in thinking in USD value. It does not matter much what is the price of BTC in USD or whatever other fiat currency for the price of ASICMINER shares.

Right. You and I agree on that.

However you still haven't proven your initial point in saying the ASICMINER shares are overpriced. Wherever I look (BTCfunder, btct.co, bitcointalk.org auctions) The price of the shares is 0.8 or higher. So say whatever you want to say, the market for the ASICMINER shares says that the shares are worth a lot more than 0.6 which you said was too much.

When a stock is said to be overpriced, it does not mean the market does not want to buy it. It means the fair value of the stock (I estimated 0.25-0.4 BTC) is lower than the price demanded by the irrational market (0.6+ BTC). The vocabulary I use ("overpriced", "fair value") is well defined. It comes from the investment philosophy called value investing. So, again, the fact buyers are willing to spend 0.6+ BTC does not mean 0.6 BTC is a fair value by the definition of this term.

Now, the only debatable point is what is the fair value of the stock. And one must attempt to estimate it by looking at assets and present and future revenues, like I did initially to prove my point: see here and here.

Mausini: your thought experiment merely shows their valuation would decrease a lot faster if their operating costs were a fixed amount of BTC. It does not show their valuation would increase if the costs are paid in USD... This is at least the 3rd or 4th time I explain to you their operating costs are only ~3%, that they can't go lower than that, that the USD costs are already as low as they can be, and that in the future this percentage will increase, a lot:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.msg1622421#msg1622421
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.msg1623418#msg1623418
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.msg1624754#msg1624754
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.msg1625480#msg1625480
Your thought experiment does not add anything new. I don't know how else to explain it. There must be a comprehension issue that you are not raising to me (is english your native language?)

lophie

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 04:55:10 AM

Lets look at another angle of this, What about the next reward halving? It is supposed to cut the fair value by half for ASICMINER and half its dividends.

You could argue that BTC price would double so it is the same but that also means that if you sold your shares just before the halving and its effect. You sacrifice the future divalents to DOUBLE the worth of your shares!

What do you think guys?

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
helixone

Activity: 131

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 05:30:16 AM

Lets look at another angle of this, What about the next reward halving? It is supposed to cut the fair value by half for ASICMINER and half its dividends.

You could argue that BTC price would double so it is the same but that also means that if you sold your shares just before the halving and its effect. You sacrifice the future divalents to DOUBLE the worth of your shares!

What do you think guys?

Err, that isn't scheduled to happen until 2017, so not worth considering.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 06:08:12 AM

What do you think guys?

Not worth considering? It absolutely is.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 06:15:36 AM

What do you think guys?

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 06:18:27 AM

And it is 2013 now.
helixone

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 06:28:12 AM

What do you think guys?

OK Nov 25th, 2016 as per https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining

Between now and then we have:
1) the upcoming transition of almost the entire network from GPU mining to 1st gen ASIC mining.
2) At least one perhaps more transitions to newer generation fo ASIC mining hardware.

How Friedcat handles these transitions, (especially the first one) as opposed to the competition, is going to have a much bigger impact on the daily price of ASICMINER shares than an event that is approximately 1330 days in the future. We have no way of knowing if ASICMINER will still exist, or be the biggest fish in the mining sea.

-helixone
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 06:31:50 AM

What do you think guys?

1) the upcoming transition of almost the entire network from GPU mining to 1st gen ASIC mining.
2) At least one perhaps more transitions to newer generation fo ASIC mining hardware.

How Friedcat handles these transitions, (especially the first one) as opposed to the competition, is going to have a much bigger impact on the daily price of ASICMINER shares than an event that is approximately 1330 days in the future. We have no way of knowing if ASICMINER will still exist, or be the biggest fish in the mining sea.

-helixone
The block reward isn't something that is going to happen or not happen - mining rewards will be cut in half. It's something you look at when considering the future revenues, and just because it's in 2016 doesn't mean it's not going to happen.

It's very hard to say what the mining sector will look like in a few years, but block reward halving matter and shouldn't be ignored.
helixone

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 07:03:22 AM

What do you think guys?

-helixone
The block reward isn't something that is going to happen or not happen - mining rewards will be cut in half. It's something you look at when considering the future revenues, and just because it's in 2016 doesn't mean it's not going to happen.

It's very hard to say what the mining sector will look like in a few years, but block reward halving matter and shouldn't be ignored.

So should we be considering that all bitcoins will have been mined by 2033 and will have to transition to a transaction based incentive model?

I say no, because the profitability of an investment in ASICMINER today will largely be impacted by how quickly Friedcat brings the next 50+ TH online, as opposed to if and when BFL can ship their upcoming production run of ASIC mining gear.

It's this simple: if you feel that Friedcat is gonna have his gear up for a solid period of time before BFL has shipped a significant portion of their backordered gear, then price will go up to reflect the dividends being paid, and he'll will have the monetary reserves to invest heavily and early into the next generation of HW. If not, well... let's not talk about that.

So far it looks like he is doing well, and he has a good chance to beat BFL to market with his second production run. The bigger question is how many weeks/months will he be ahead? (Oh course the more the better for current investors).
xkrikl

Activity: 159

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 07:11:13 AM

Yes ... but the transaction fees will partially compensate with increasing number of transactions during the next 3-4 years
Pages: « 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 ... 1348 »
  Print  

Jump to: