Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 08:58:41 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 ... 328 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] SpreadCoin | Decentralize Everything (decentralized blockexplorer coming)  (Read 790361 times)
stonehedge
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1002

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 04:00:46 PM

Spreadcoin Project Weekly Update #1

7th August 2015

Improving Communications

Following some fair feedback from the community, the Spreadcoin team acknowledge that community engagement hasn’t been strong enough recently.  To improve communications we aim to publish a weekly update every Friday.  These updates may be long or short depending on what there is to say.  After a discussion in the development channel on Slack, the team agreed that the updates should meet the following standards:

•   The updates will use the least amount of developer time possible.
•   The updates will be non-promotional in nature.
•   The updates will be factual and open.  If there is no progress or a problem, we will say so.

Project Objectives – A Brief History of Spreadcoin

As many of you know, Spreadcoin was originally intended as a fork and rival of Darkcoin.  When the original Lead Dev walked away from the project, Spreadcoin was just about to begin the second round of masternode testing.  A dedicated core of Spreadcoin supporters started to look at the code in more detail and began to realise that Spreadcoin had much greater potential than simply trying to mimic the functionality that Darkcoin/Dashpay already provided.

After several months of furious Slack activity a new fundamental approach was agreed.  Spreadcoin, using a two tier network with Service Nodes, can be used to provide a huge variety of decentralised applications and services whilst rewarding the owners of Service Nodes for doing so. 

It was agreed that the first service to be provided by Spreadcoin Service Nodes would be PoBN or Proof of Bitcoin Node.  PoBN is simply a mechanism to help the Bitcoin network combat the declining number of full Bitcoin Nodes by financially incentivising Service Node owners to also run full Bitcoin Nodes.  What better way to start your project than to offer some support to your mothership?  The next service has not been agreed but the many options range from file sharing applications to decentralised altcoin exchange.

What Have the Dev Team Been Doing Since Relaunch?

Over the last few months Georgem and Chaositec have had a mammoth challenge to tackle.  Whilst Spreadcoin was originally a Darkcoin fork, large amounts of code had been rewritten by the original lead developer. This included a total re-write of the masternode code.  It is vital that the new dev team gain an understanding of what is in the code and why it is there.

The crypto community has seen several Darkcoin/Dash copy and paste clones come and go over the last few months but the Spreadcoin project will not sacrifice quality for pace.  Nothing will be released until the project team are satisfied beyond reasonable doubt that the code is stable and appropriate.

Every day has thrown up surprises in how the code works.  A fact that astounded me personally is that Spreadcoind conducts five million operations in the first 10 seconds of execution.  Understanding your product is necessary before release, even into testnet.

The focus over the past few months and for the near term future will continue to be reviewing, understanding and improving the fundamentals that are already there.  Spreadcoin is doing something that nobody else has done before and the intention is to do it properly.

Dev Team Activity This Week

The dev team have been working on a tool to assist with the analysis of the operation and efficiency of Spreadcoin.  This tool has the ability to capture the literally millions of things that happen when Spreadcoin is running but also gives the ability to filter spurious information and to help identify algorithmic solutions to problems.  This tool is taking a lot of dev time at the moment but is expected to pay dividends in the near future as it will allow the dev team to simulate scenarios and code changes which we believe will speed up the testnet process and main net launch of Service Nodes and PoBN.

The new tool helped Georgem spot this bug on August 5th https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1045373.msg12063817#msg12063817.

Progress on Testnet & Updated Roadmap.

As of today, it looks like the first implementation of Service Nodes in testnet will be empty Service Nodes that are limited in their number by coinsupply/2880.

Whilst some members of the dev team have been testing and investigating the interaction between Spreadcoin Nodes and Bitcoin Full Nodes on the same VPS instance, the community must understand that the path to our first functioning service will be taken in small steps.  However it is important to stress that each step will help trigger the next step at an increasing pace.

When Service Nodes are ready for testnet we will depend on the community for help with testing.  We are excited for when that process can begin.

A new roadmap will be included with next week’s update to give an indication of our current view of the steps and timescales involved.

Other Activities of Interest

Coins101 and others have put a lot of work into a thorough whitepaper and press release that gives full details on our plans for PoBN.  This whitepaper has been reviewed by the dev team and the SPR community and has now been sent to a wide range of peers including current and past members of the Bitcoin foundation for comment.  We expect to release the whitepaper (version 1.0) within the next two weeks.

Chaositec has announced the Beta of his new mining pool which will soon have Spreadcoin payouts.  Chaositec is currently somewhere in the North Sea so expect to hear news from him when he’s back in the world of the internet.

Coins101 has proposed a competition to use vanitygen to find a Spreadcoin address beginning with SatoshiNakamoto.  The proposal is open to community debate.  Please express your view if you have one!

Questions from the Community

Future editions of the weekly update will have a summary of questions asked by the community in the previous week.  I will also collate the questions for the purpose of creating a FAQ in due course.

And finally…

Apologies for the verbosity of this update!  We feel that it was important to make the first one comprehensive.  Questions and criticisms are welcome, either on BCT or by PM to Stonehedge.  Expect a shorter update with more from the dev team, none of the history and an updated roadmap next week.

-Stonehedge
georgem (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1007

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2015, 04:39:28 PM

brilliantly summarized by stonehedge.

Thanks.

There will be a special solo-miner software that will bring all SpreadX11 coins together, facilitating merge-solo-mining.

Fascinating idea... would that merge-mining work with X11 or SHA256 coins also? Perhaps with additional programming efforts?

merge-mining is only possible within the same hashing algorithm, in our case SpreadX11 only.

stonehedge
Legendary

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 09:10:29 PM

Cheers mate.
minerpage

Activity: 268
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 11:09:50 PM

Agree... excellent initiative and good summary... looking forward to the second episode on August 14th  Wink
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 06:54:36 AM
Last edit: August 08, 2015, 07:12:53 AM by coins101

White paper:

...has now been sent to a wide range of peers including current and past members of the Bitcoin foundation for comment.  We expect to release the whitepaper (version 1.0) within the next two weeks.

We have sent it out to a number of bitcoin devs and others. Generally, we have to be grown up and not expect people to respond, even when they said they would, because of various reasons, but mainly: if they respond, they may feel they would run the risk that their name could be associated with an altcoin with unknown intentions. Could they be unwittingly endorsing 'a scam or get rich quick scheme'?

Other observations / feedback:

1. There are many real world examples of people operating outside an inner circle who solve problems that those at the coal face can't solve. Being too close to the detail often means you miss something that people who don't have the baggage of the detail can spot as being an obvious solution. The issue with outsiders finding solutions to problems is: not invented here syndrome.  We come in and say this solves Bitcoin problems; they say....who are you to be telling us how to fix Bitcoin? I have seen it before, you get ignored and a few weeks / months later, someone from the inner circle is getting credit for your ideas which have been dressed up as new and novel.

2. There are some serious issues with our proposals on PoBN. Some of the feedback is around having too many Bitcoin nodes operated by one group.

* What happens when SPR needs a hard fork, for example; what happens to all the Bitcoin nodes during an upgrade?
* One of the biggest issues was having too many Bitcoin nodes on VPSs. In particular, VPS providers are subject to regulatory risks, so there is a centralization issue.

3. One Bitcon developer simply wants to see things running before being able to comment. I think this is the best feedback: 'just get on with it.'
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 07:03:47 AM

For those that have read the PoBN white paper, thank you.

We have since added a new section which I think will define the SPR project in the Bitcoin space - beyond just aiming to create 3,000 Bitcoin full nodes.

The new section neatly ties together all the streams of ideas we have been discussing and adds a new dimension to Bitcoin that we think can resolve many of the immediate problems Bitcoin is facing.

The p2p exchange will be used in a fascinating way and p2p escrow will be used. Even the finding satoshinakamoto1 van gen competition will have an impact on the success of PoBN.

I once met a very successful VC.  He told me that the project I was supporting at the time was exceptional, but the team's vision wasn't big enough - the management team thought that the business could be sold for £100m. He said that sort of thinking showed lack of ambition.

Well, our team is proposing to fix Bitcoin for the long-term, so I doubt anyone could say we are not being ambitious enough.
stonehedge
Legendary

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 09:11:26 AM

Well, our team is proposing to fix Bitcoin for the long-term

Fix it, however large a BTC block ends up.  That's the beauty of the PoBN model.
arteleis

Activity: 630
Merit: 505

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 09:31:11 AM

Fix it, however large a BTC block ends up.  That's the beauty of the PoBN model.

What is this POBn model and link for white paper please?  Cannot seem to reference from Ann but then again it is quite late and intoxication iis amplified at this altitude..

POBn.  Proof of burn? What I miss?

SILKCOIN - DARKSILK - SILKWEAVER - FREEDOM
stonehedge
Legendary

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 09:44:01 AM

What is this POBn model and link for white paper please?  Cannot seem to reference from Ann but then again it is quite late and intoxication iis amplified at this altitude..

POBn.  Proof of burn? What I miss?

Lol, are you on the ISS?

Proof of Bitcoin Node. 

See update posted on previous page but here is a brief summary:

"PoBN is simply a mechanism to help the Bitcoin network combat the declining number of full Bitcoin Nodes by financially incentivising Service Node owners to also run full Bitcoin Nodes."

Coins101 will have to post a link to the latest version of the whitepaper as he is the document controller Cheesy
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 09:26:35 AM

"PoBN is simply a mechanism to help the Bitcoin network combat the declining number of full Bitcoin Nodes by financially incentivising Service Node owners to also run full Bitcoin Nodes."

Coins101 will have to post a link to the latest version of the whitepaper as he is the document controller Cheesy

Once we have produced the 3 / 4 page BIP (Bitcoin Improvement Proposal) and it is ready to be released, we will also release the updated white paper at the same time. So, about 2-3 weeks.

There is still the consideration that the white paper should be released around the same time as service node testing begins, so we have to take that into account.
cjmining

Activity: 586
Merit: 500

Waiting for my coins to rise !!

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 06:56:56 PM

Looks like this coin is having a little pump today. Up 30% and on 1st page of trex.

Nice to see a bit of good exposure for the coin.
Namrekka

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 07:13:16 PM

This looks really good indeed!! Keep up guys.
cjmining

Activity: 586
Merit: 500

Waiting for my coins to rise !!

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 07:15:27 PM

Up almost 40%, looks like the hard work the dev team is putting in is starting to get noticed.
stonehedge
Legendary

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 08:11:09 PM

Up almost 40%, looks like the hard work the dev team is putting in is starting to get noticed.

I hope so.  There is so much work going on in the background but we don't want to start shouting about things until we have something to show off.  We've got a pretty special dev team in my humble and biased opionion.

Obviously I wouldn't be involved if I didn't believe in our team and the potential for success but when we make Proof of Bitcoin Node a reality we'll be able to say we did something new and something positive to support bitcoin.  And once PoBN is operating in the wild we'll move on to the next service and by then hopefully we'll have a community large enough to start working on other decentralised apps and services to add to the Spreadcoin portfolio.  If we start off slowly hopefully our deliverables will snowball as our supporters grow in number.

I guess the proof will be in the pudding and this pudding is going to take a few months to cook  Smiley
e1ghtSpace
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2015, 05:56:16 AM

Haha, i'm cursed. Every time I sell the price goes up. I don't get it. Sad

Oh well, I still have 2k saved that I plan never to sell (for a long while).  Wink
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 07:57:42 AM
Last edit: August 10, 2015, 01:41:21 PM by coins101

Haha, i'm cursed. Every time I sell the price goes up. I don't get it. Sad

Oh well, I still have 2k saved that I plan never to sell (for a long while).  Wink

There is a bounty with your name on it waiting to be collected:

@E1ghtspace

Any chance of a video on how to use Vanity Gen and search for SatoshiNakamoto1?

Bounty: 500 SPR?

edit

Actually, can you also do a second video to show:

* How to send coins to yourself, from one address to another.
* Then another segments to show how to sign a message from yourself: "I am searching for SatoshiNakamoto1 and this is my 500 SPR collateral"
* Explain that the collateral in the new address they are sending funds to with the signed message has to remain unspent or the search is invalidated and their winning funds will rollover to a search for SatoshiNakamoto2. You might have to show what an unspent transaction looks like on the block chain.

Bounty 1,000 SPR.

This bit doesn't need to be included just yet as Georgem is thinking about different ways to make this happen:

* Explain that the collateral in the new address they are sending funds to with the signed message has to remain unspent or the search is invalidated and their winning funds will rollover to a search for SatoshiNakamoto2. You might have to show what an unspent transaction looks like on the block chain.

So - two short videos, 500 SPR each bounty

typo edits
Namrekka

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 10:17:39 AM

I hope so.  There is so much work going on in the background but we don't want to start shouting about things until we have something to show off.  We've got a pretty special dev team in my humble and biased opionion.

Obviously I wouldn't be involved if I didn't believe in our team and the potential for success but when we make Proof of Bitcoin Node a reality we'll be able to say we did something new and something positive to support bitcoin.  And once PoBN is operating in the wild we'll move on to the next service and by then hopefully we'll have a community large enough to start working on other decentralised apps and services to add to the Spreadcoin portfolio.  If we start off slowly hopefully our deliverables will snowball as our supporters grow in number.

I guess the proof will be in the pudding and this pudding is going to take a few months to cook  Smiley

So this coin looks like is a good investment.
stonehedge
Legendary

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 10:59:14 AM

So this coin looks like is a good investment.

From what I have read on Twitter some day traders have done pretty well out of the periodic market-buy accumulations (like happened yesterday). 

In terms of long term ROI, if we deliver what we plan to deliver then the price will rise if there is any justice in this world.  Who knows though, plenty of shitcoins have briefly done well and plenty of good projects have never taken off.

I personally think the outlook is bright though Smiley
pokeytex
Legendary

Activity: 1504

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 03:20:25 PM

Weird - I solo mined a block today that paid me 6.50 SPR.  Is that including a fee or something?

stonehedge
Legendary

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 03:58:55 PM

Weird - I solo mined a block today that paid me 6.50 SPR.  Is that including a fee or something?

Must be!  I suppose volume has been 5BTC+ per day for a few days so maybe some larger transaction fees are beginning to occur...

What does the block explorer say?
Pages: « 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 ... 328 »
  Print  

Jump to: