Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:49:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  
Author Topic: bitfloor needs your help!  (Read 177364 times)
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 08:34:22 PM

Sorry to hear about that.
If security is verified by a trusted 3rd party I'd be interested in bonds should you choose to go that way.

+1

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Joe200

Activity: 317
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 08:38:55 PM

Thank you for allowing ACH withdrawals.

Could you please allow trading to resume? Then the people who really want to get out will be able to sell their bitcoins (for a fraction of their price outside of bitfloor). And people who are speculating that things will turn out will be able to buy up those bitcoins and potentially make money.

I think this will reduce the amount of customer discontent.

The problem with this is that there isn't enough coins to cover all (any?) withdrawal requests.

People can withdraw USD.

Say, I had 100 BTC sitting on bitfloor before the hack. You had 100 USD. I give you the claim to my BTC, you give me your USD. I withdraw your USD (since that part was not compromised, right?). You have the claim to the 100 BTC. If, at some point in the future, some or all BTC will be paid out, you will get paid for that claim. If not, you lose. But you went in knowing that it was speculative. So we're both happy (or happier).
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 08:46:00 PM

Could you please allow trading to resume?

Right now, any USD withdrawals are subject to the funds being clawed back if BitFloor is insolvent.    So someone trading and then withdrawing bitcoins is better off (as bitcoin reversals are not reversible) than the party that withdrew USDs.

I hope for Roman's sake he either comes up with sufficient capital or if BitFloor is insolvent he gets legal advice before processing a single withdrawal.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

shtylman (OP)

Activity: 243

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 08:52:02 PM

Please note that I have taken the website offline. I am consulting legal council about the current situation and will post once I have more details. I want to make sure the matter is handled appropriately given the financial situation the exchange is currently in.

The website was causing too much confusion in the current form and once I have more details I will post a very clear message for all users.
eja

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 08:54:49 PM

Crap, my entire bitcoin holdings down the drain (only 24BTC but still). And to think I was going to withdraw it all yesterday but procrastinated..
whitslack

Activity: 120
Merit: 144

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 08:59:20 PM

Maybe if he hired a team of security experts *cough*  Wink or maybe not...
With what money? Bitfloor was netting 0.3% per transaction, and its monthly volume was like 60k BTC. So it was profiting 180 BTC per month. That's not enough to hire even one security expert, let alone a whole team.
coga

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

www.btcbuy.info

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2012, 09:07:54 PM

Personally didn't have enough bitcoins with BitFloor to warrant me pursuing this myself.  

I would be surprised that nobody else cares though.

Technically you are correct.  However I can verify that Roman is in regular contact with his largest depositors, and while I cannot speak for all of them, I do believe this will be resolved without a bankruptcy.  give the guy a chance to make some calls and look at his options to bring in capital.

I am not sure if I could call myself his largest depositor, but I was trading on bitfloor regularly until the incident happened and I second opinion that he always acted in good faith so far (as far as I could tell), and he deserves a second chance

GPG key: 6F8E305690A05365B58C50A
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 09:08:19 PM

With what money? Bitfloor was netting 0.3% per transaction, and its monthly volume was like 60k BTC. So it was profiting 180 BTC per month. That's not enough to hire even one security expert, let alone a whole team.

I know. Running an exchange with these financials is untenable. They should team up and go on IPO in order to get proper server infrastructure and staff, and ramp up to cover cost.

If they can't raise enough they shouldn't be running an exchange IMO. The same thing would happen. The standards for exchanges cannot be lowered this much, people expect their money not to go away and solvency to cover possible eventualities.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
Draino

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 09:08:31 PM

pretty sure that was a dig on bitcoin consultancy

if not, it should be taken as one
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 09:10:06 PM

That as well  Grin

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
whitslack

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 09:12:38 PM

I don't know anything about "bitcoin consultancy," but I do work in the network security industry, and I will tell you that security experts make six figures (USD).
xioustic

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

The Village Idiot

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 09:49:03 PM
Last edit: September 04, 2012, 10:16:01 PM by xioustic

Please note that I have taken the website offline. I am consulting legal council about the current situation and will post once I have more details. I want to make sure the matter is handled appropriately given the financial situation the exchange is currently in.

The website was causing too much confusion in the current form and once I have more details I will post a very clear message for all users.
This is the best option for you. Given the size of the loss (assuming the courts system would hold up a value for the BTC lost if action was taken against you), you're looking at a huge risk if you handle things inappropriately and any one of your users files any sort of legal action against you. We appreciate the notice, but you need to cover your butt, especially if you're in the US. At current exchange rate, a loss of a quarter million U.S. dollars worth of a commodity is gigantic and definitely warrants legal council on how to proceed.

You seem like a nice guy and I really appreciated the service when it was running before all this. Assuming you're not the perpetrator (something that a few members might suggest in speculation), I wish you the best and hope things can be resolved. Your personally liability for this may be incredible compared to any sort of profit you may have realized for providing the service. Looking out for your personal future (not even the future of BitFloor), I would seek immediate legal council.

Sadly, if you seek GOOD legal council... Their first piece of advice would probably to take the site down with a notice and keep as quiet as possible until everything is figured out.

Best of luck.

General Donations Address: 1EqkqDhdG8hrxpU6sarA3JEqBd5DrLHPSA
Play Diablo III on the US Server? Buy Diablo III Gold with your BTC!
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2012, 09:56:10 PM

Right now, any USD withdrawals are subject to the funds being clawed back if BitFloor is insolvent.    So someone trading and then withdrawing bitcoins is better off (as bitcoin reversals are not reversible) than the party that withdrew USDs.

I hope for Roman's sake he either comes up with sufficient capital or if BitFloor is insolvent he gets legal advice before processing a single withdrawal.

I'm sorry your bitcoins were stolen, but please stop trying to steal my Bitfloor USD to make up for it.  

Segregated accounts are segregated.  Your endorsement of MFGlobal style account pooling is unethical and shameful!

To Hell with your communist bankster logic and the (rare) corrupt courts that recognize it.  500 years of organic common law disagree.

Those are my USD, not yours, so please STFU about clawing back what was never your property to begin with.

My USD did not magically become your property just because your bitcoins were stolen.  That's freaking asinine, you should know better!

Holding our USD without our consent is illegal.  BitFloor must start accepting and processing USD withdrawals ASAP.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
blakdawg

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 10:02:37 PM

Those are my USD, not yours . . .

This is not at all clear under US law, which would presumably apply given Bitfloor's ties to the US.
thebaron

Activity: 434

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 10:03:24 PM

Doesn't anyone learn a goddamned thing from previous hacks? Christ.
whitslack

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 10:03:27 PM

Holding our USD without our consent is illegal.  BitFloor must start accepting and processing USD withdrawals ASAP.
Unfortunately for those of us who had significant USD balances at Bitfloor, what others are saying is correct: Roman must now cease all activity — even activity that many of us would consider "the right thing to do" — and seek legal counsel. Assuming everything is handled sanely in the court system (a big assumption), we might expect a refund of our USD balances in a few months — either all or in part, depending on whether the balances were legally segregated and allocated, which I doubt they were.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2012, 10:15:22 PM

This is not at all clear under US law, which would presumably apply given Bitfloor's ties to the US.

Au contraire, US law is perfectly clear on the matter:

No person shall be...deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3332
Merit: 4492

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 10:20:35 PM

Au contraire, US law is perfectly clear on the matter:

No person shall be...deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Actually, that clause is exactly the problem.  Until due process of law, it is not legally clear whether any of the USD controlled by bitfloor is the property of those who had BTC on deposit, the property of bitfloor, or solely the property of those who have USD on deposit with bitfloor.  Bitfloor therefore cannot legally give USD to anyone until due process determines exactly whose property each and every $0.01 is.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2012, 10:22:29 PM

Oh wow I nearly missed that one.

Nice "hack"
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2012, 10:23:04 PM

Unfortunately for those of us who had significant USD balances at Bitfloor, what others are saying is correct: Roman must now cease all activity — even activity that many of us would consider "the right thing to do" — and seek legal counsel. Assuming everything is handled sanely in the court system (a big assumption), we might expect a refund of our USD balances in a few months — either all or in part, depending on whether the balances were legally segregated and allocated, which I doubt they were.

Wrong.  Presumption of ownership goes to the segregated account holders.

BitFloor will be sued successfully for holding USD without their OWNER'S consent, unless there is a clause in the TOS stating that any USD deposited into BitFloor automatically becomes part of a single pool of assets with shared liability.

If the communist scumbag Corzine supporters wish to claw back USD that never belonged to them, they are welcome to try AFTER the rightful owners get paid, not before.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  

Jump to: