Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:07:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  
Author Topic: bitfloor needs your help!  (Read 177384 times)
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 02:13:16 PM

I think a more accurate picture would be the same diagram, but with text reading People who know math, People who know currency, and People who know investing, and with a third of a Bitcoin at the very far tip of each circle, as far away from the center as possible (so, 3 separate pieces of a Bitcoin), and the middle section should just have text saying "NOBODY, Except maybe Satoshi"

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 02:15:50 PM

Nah! Two different box numbers at the same address by two Bitcoiners of which one interviewed the other one on a show that was sponsored by another Bitcoiner. Nothing further to see here.

~Bruno~

Charlie's also been on the show. He is also located close to Bruce. Are you going to say BitInstant also deserves to share whatever shady reputation Bruce has?
Give me a fucking break. They're in NYC and they're involved in Bitcoin. The fact that they're in the same area of a densely populated city doesn't equate to conspiracy.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 02:51:12 PM

+1 to jwzguy.

IIRC Roman even posted a while back that he went on the show because Bruce lived in the same neighborhood.  Utterly bizarre people from the same neighborhood might use the same Post Office.

DUN DUN DUUUUNNNNN
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 02:55:21 PM

anyone notice the title of the thread? I don't see many responses to the plea for help...That said, just because we want Bitcoin to be decentralized and all that jazz, it doesn't mean we shouldn't get law enforcement involved when thefts occur.  It's computer hacking or fraud at the very least.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
LazyOtto

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 03:01:41 PM

it doesn't mean we shouldn't get law enforcement involved when thefts occur.  It's computer hacking or fraud at the very least.
It doesn't mean he shouldn't get law enforcement involved.

It does seem to fall within one or another of the USA 'computer abuse' laws.

However, if all the existing USD in accounts as of time of hack are honored, I don't see it as a fiscal / monetary issue.

At this point, bitcoins are not "money".
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 03:18:40 PM

it doesn't mean we shouldn't get law enforcement involved when thefts occur.  It's computer hacking or fraud at the very least.
It doesn't mean he shouldn't get law enforcement involved.

It does seem to fall within one or another of the USA 'computer abuse' laws.

However, if all the existing USD in accounts as of time of hack are honored, I don't see it as a fiscal / monetary issue.

At this point, bitcoins are not "money".
But they are something of value, which means those who held a Bitcoin balance at the exchange have a valid claim to the remaining assets of the company in the event in a liquidation.
BorderBits

Activity: 275

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 03:20:49 PM

+1 to jwzguy.

Utterly bizarre people from the same neighborhood might use the same Post Office.

And use the same small telcomm company.  And set up their telcomm plans around the same time.  And pulled a big ol' scam.  Nope, nothing to see here.  Bitfloor definitely just got hacked; no need to believe that a bitcoin operator worked with the "Most famous man (and pedo) in bitcoin" to run off with $200k.  
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 04:04:25 PM

I've been watching the #opentransactions channel and it looks like FT & co. are still working out the bugs. Are you sure it's stable enough to "widely deploy"?

All balances have been kept perfectly. I don't think I've actually seen that before, its amazing to me with all we've been through. Seems to me over the decades I got used to financial software always screwing up balances here and there so correcting entries of some sort always ended up being needed. So to me it is amazingly robust. Forcing every change of any balance to have to be signed off on seems to be a very good system.

That said, I want first off lots and lots of test clients deployed so more and more people can test it... The recent bugs have been to do with scaling up; I have been doing load testing, in effect, running lots of scripts automatically placing lots of offers in the markets and, it turned out, mostly without downloading the outcomes thus letting people's account-inboxes grow huge, running into limits of string buffers. So basically, testing to destruction, driving the thing to its limits, yet still all balances remain correct.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
jwzguy

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 04:12:49 PM

anyone notice the title of the thread? I don't see many responses to the plea for help...That said, just because we want Bitcoin to be decentralized and all that jazz, it doesn't mean we shouldn't get law enforcement involved when thefts occur.  It's computer hacking or fraud at the very least.

Excellent point. Bitfloor  has been very good to it's customers. Lowest fees, very easy to use, excellent (and personalized) customer service. No shady "account locking." No information extortion.

How can we help?
1) If you have funds there, be patient. We gave gox forever and a day, and they were making WAY more than Bitfloor. (quadruple the fees on a 10x-100x the volume)
2) Offer to invest in Bitfloor.

Roman, if you're reading this: This thread is clearly not the place to discuss it, but if you're willing to accept investment, that seems like the best way your user base can help you recover ASAP.

I'm not a big enough player to make much of a dent, but I would be willing to invest. It seems like you should start some kind of discussion on going forward with this, if you're considering it.

I also think you should let your accountholders with USD withdraw immediately before any other steps are taken.

Best wishes.
jwzguy

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 04:15:38 PM

+1 to jwzguy.

Utterly bizarre people from the same neighborhood might use the same Post Office.

And use the same small telcomm company.  And set up their telcomm plans around the same time.  And pulled a big ol' scam.  Nope, nothing to see here.  Bitfloor definitely just got hacked; no need to believe that a bitcoin operator worked with the "Most famous man (and pedo) in bitcoin" to run off with $200k.  
And both ate food. And breathed air. And wore pants. Any other nonsensical bullshit you want to throw out there?
BorderBits

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 04:33:14 PM

And both ate food. And breathed air. And wore pants. Any other nonsensical bullshit you want to throw out there?

Man, when you're in such denial, you really deserve to be scammed (and scammed, and scammed, and scammed . . . bitcoin!). 
BorderBits

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 04:36:54 PM

Excellent point. Bitfloor  has been very good to it's customers. Lowest fees, very easy to use, excellent (and personalized) customer service. No shady "account locking." No information extortion.

How can we help?
1) If you have funds there, be patient. We gave gox forever and a day, and they were making WAY more than Bitfloor. (quadruple the fees on a 10x-100x the volume)

Roman, if you're reading this: This thread is clearly not the place to discuss it, but if you're willing to accept investment, that seems like the best way your user base can help you recover ASAP.

I'm not a big enough player to make much of a dent, but I would be willing to invest. It seems like you should start some kind of discussion on going forward with this, if you're considering it.

So a guy with shady connections to a known scammer/pedophile "loses" everyone's money and your idea is that people should "invest" in him?  Holy fuck that's stupid. 
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 04:59:54 PM

Border is your brain incapable of logic?

Why exactly would Roman need Bruce help to steal from his own server?  Even assuming he did this as an inside job (which I doubt) why exactly would he want to include Bruce and split the profit?  What exactly did Bruce bring to the table?  Did Bruce drive the getaway car?

I mean lets compare:
a) do it yourself:  $200K & no accomplices.
vs
b) include Bruce: $100K & an accomplice who would probably rat you out for $20 and a pack of menthols.

Hmm.  You sure cracked the case wide open Inspector!
jwzguy

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 05:01:45 PM

Excellent point. Bitfloor  has been very good to it's customers. Lowest fees, very easy to use, excellent (and personalized) customer service. No shady "account locking." No information extortion.

How can we help?

So a guy with shady connections to a known scammer/pedophile "loses" everyone's money and your idea is that people should "invest" in him?  Holy fuck that's stupid. 
Not as stupid as your "connections"....do you know how many people went on Bruce's show? Why don't you let the adults talk newb/sockie?
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 05:03:39 PM

Border is your brain incapable of logic?

Why exactly would Roman need Bruce help to steal from his own server?  Even assuming he did this as an inside job (which I doubt) why exactly would he want to include Bruce and split the profit?  What exactly did Bruce bring to the table?  Did Bruce drive the getaway car?

I mean lets compare:
a) do it yourself:  $200K & no accomplices.
vs
b) include Bruce: $100K & an accomplice who would probably rat you out for $20 and a pack of menthols.

Hmm.  You sure cracked the case wide open Inspector!

I think the point here is that it stinks from the same direction, and assuming a scam it would make sense for him to get some pointers from his mentor, if he receives a cut or not.

I don't really think that matters at this point, given the track-record of other incidents, it's over and most likely there isn't any new info to be revealed at a later date.
ErnestoJuarell

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

¿Sabe lo que quiero decir?

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 05:26:29 PM

Why would someone pull an inside job like you are claiming if their real identity is publicly known? They could face harassment, physical threats, and legal issues. Especially with Bitcoin being used by such shady people.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 05:37:47 PM

Why would someone pull an inside job like you are claiming if their real identity is publicly known? They could face harassment, physical threats, and legal issues. Especially with Bitcoin being used by such shady people.

Not shady enough...at this point, it's basically

Arr, I've got your coins!!

unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 05:53:51 PM

Excellent point. Bitfloor  has been very good to it's customers. Lowest fees, very easy to use, excellent (and personalized) customer service. No shady "account locking." No information extortion.

How can we help?

I also think you should let your accountholders with USD withdraw immediately before any other steps are taken.

Best wishes.

I agree about the USD. This theft had to do with BTC not USD. Please release my funds.

This is an unfortunate event. I really want to stay with Bitfloor. I want to offer any of my professional services pro-bono.

Bitfloor has potential. I am just personally upset about the USD thing. If it was BTC then it is out of my hands and I will have to wait. But it is USD and it is still in the form of USD and this is something I know I have some control about or I would not be doing as much bitching Sad

Roman, I am on your side, I am just annoyed Sad

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
peasant

Activity: 272

Cryptopreneur

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 06:37:37 PM

This long with no reply or contact. Doesn't look good. Hope i'm wrong.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3054

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 07:07:56 PM

They could yes.  But judging from history, the bitcoin community is more likely to roll over and take it.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  

Jump to: