Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 10:35:28 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 [219] 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 ... 416 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S7 is available at bitmaintech.com with 4.86TH/s, 0.25J/GH  (Read 527660 times)
wolfen

Activity: 770
Merit: 523

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 08:24:28 PM
Last edit: November 19, 2015, 08:41:02 PM by wolfen

If you're getting confused with the different S7 specs...

https://bitmaintech.com/productDetail.htm?pid=000201511170341298180m44675v0613 (bottom of the page)

Going by the list, the odd numbered batches have the best bang for your buck...the even numbered ones are the runts that didn't make proper spec.

I just find the whole S7 batches confusing.  I mean they are taking orders a month ahead.... which I'm not a huge fan of but I can understand it.   I liked when they ship closer to order date.

But the entire changing hashing speed per batch is getting to a almost laughable level.  I mean when S7 starts to be sold to go to second homes (eventually on a lot of them) it's going to be a mess.   I just think resale/buying used is going to be a lot more challenging with so many different specs for the same model miner.  
Yes it has really been a circus. Will be really tricky like you said to buy a used one. I like the "runt" reference, I think I peed myself laughing.
Overall they are quite the excellent machine.

For those about to block we salute you! AC->BTC
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 09:06:37 PM

I was about to order the batch 8 but now I am having second thoughts about ROI.
Even with free electricity, the analysis here https://tradeblock.com/bitcoin/mining/a/JzZtkWrbEJb3LeJj28EoCk
shows that I would ROI on August 2016, assuming starting mining on January 2016 and ~5 billion difficulty increase each month (best case scenario). (purchase cost ~$2000, including PSU and customs fees)
Keep in mind that bitcoin halving will be about July 2016.
So why would someone buy a S7?

did you calculate the money you get when you sell the s7 ?
Seba13xp

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 12:04:33 AM

Has anyone here did a wire transfer to buy a miner from bitmain. I'm thinking on buying another miner from them but don't have any bitcoins left since I exchanged them for usd.  
Finksy
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 12:12:26 AM

Has anyone here did a wire transfer to buy a miner from bitmain. I'm thinking on buying another miner from them but don't have any bitcoins left since I exchanged them for usd.  

Yes.  It confirmed fairly quickly, though I've heard from prior batches that they prioritize BTC payments over Wire transfers for shipping order (Huh)

Also, even though I chose to "pay all fees" associated with the wire transfer, they emailed me saying the transfer came up a bit short, and I had to pay the remainder by BTC.  Oh the hoops we jump through...

IBM 2880W PSU Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=966135 IBM 4K PSU Breakout Boards & Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1308296 
Server PSU-powered GPU rig solutions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1864539  Wallet address: 1GWQYCv22cAikgTgT1zFuAmsJ9fFqq9TXf 
Seba13xp

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 12:25:39 AM

Yes.  It confirmed fairly quickly, though I've heard from prior batches that they prioritize BTC payments over Wire transfers for shipping order (Huh)

Also, even though I chose to "pay all fees" associated with the wire transfer, they emailed me saying the transfer came up a bit short, and I had to pay the remainder by BTC.  Oh the hoops we jump through...

yes indeed the hoops, and thank you.
wolfen

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 01:40:47 AM

Does antpool have ddos issues?
My poolside hashrate dropped and the miner side looks fine.
It did not flip to the secondary pool.
Ran f2pool as primary for four days without any issues.
Now with antpool as primary I see poolside hashrate drop.
Maybe the server with the stats took a hit.

VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 01:42:36 AM

You should mine outside China's pools anyways. Better payout and the Chinese has plenty of hashrate already. Tongue
Check out Kano, or Slush pool if you need steady payouts i'd say.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
wolfen

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 02:54:43 AM

You should mine outside China's pools anyways. Better payout and the Chinese has plenty of hashrate already. Tongue
Check out Kano, or Slush pool if you need steady payouts i'd say.
Good point, thanks.

cryptichermit

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 03:23:03 AM

Anyone out there doing remote monitoring or access to your S7s ?

I tried the Minerlink thing at Bitmain, but doesn't seem to work.

Any good way to do the monitoring / access from outside?

Someone recommended "teamviewer" but i prefer a freeware solution?

I would like to monitor hashrates, temp, etc and ability to reboot the S7s.

Port forwarding is your friend.  There are literally numerous ways to configure port forwarding.
You could simply install vnc server (most of which are free) on a box on the local lan and port forward to it on the router and use it for remote control if you don't want to configure multiple port forwards for each unit.
I'm surprised at how many people here suggest software application beyond network configuration given this is all networking.
aarons6
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 05:26:14 AM

teamviewer is free for non business use..

you can try cryptoglance.. it lets do you everything you say.. you just need to edit the cgminer line to open the port.
citronick
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080

---- winter*juvia -----

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 05:29:47 AM

Seba.... how do you exchange BTC to USD in your country? Just curious

If I provided you good and useful info or just a smile to your day, consider sending me merit points to further validate this Bitcointalk account ~ useful for future account recovery...
jermwerty

Activity: 472
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 06:15:34 AM

Even with free electricity, the analysis here https://tradeblock.com/bitcoin/mining/a/JzZtkWrbEJb3LeJj28EoCk
shows that I would ROI on August 2016, assuming starting mining on January 2016 and ~5 billion difficulty increase each month (best case scenario). (purchase cost ~$2000, including PSU and customs fees)

You are betting on 5% diff increases?

Only with Bitmain throwing shittons of HW out the door are we seeing that much.  They won't be putting gear online @ 5% for that many months at least!
bomberb17

Activity: 773
Merit: 528

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 09:41:51 AM

Speculation on the price of bitcoin rising...if it doubled by the halving, you would probably ROI on it.  Either way it's a gamble.

There is no point to buy mining hardware and just hope for a BTC price increase. Just buying and holding BTC is much simpler and safer.
All ROI calculations should assume a stable BTC price . In other words, you should calculate your initial costs in BTC and see how many BTC you will get back. By investing 4.73 BTCfor a S7 + 0.487 BTC for PSU + ~1BTC for customs fees = 6.217BTC total, you will probably earn these BTC back by August 2016, just after the halving.

Only with Bitmain throwing shittons of HW out the door are we seeing that much.  They won't be putting gear online @ 5% for that many months at least!

First of all, these increases are monthly increases, not the increase every 2 weeks.
Second, I assumed 5 billion increase each month, not 5% (i.e. linear increase, not exponential).
These assumptions for difficulty increase are fairly optimistic.
Even with ZERO diff increase. ROI will happen in June 2016.
And remember, these calculations are with FREE electricity!
fullzero
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 12:20:50 PM

Speculation on the price of bitcoin rising...if it doubled by the halving, you would probably ROI on it.  Either way it's a gamble.

There is no point to buy mining hardware and just hope for a BTC price increase. Just buying and holding BTC is much simpler and safer.
All ROI calculations should assume a stable BTC price . In other words, you should calculate your initial costs in BTC and see how many BTC you will get back. By investing 4.73 BTCfor a S7 + 0.487 BTC for PSU + ~1BTC for customs fees = 6.217BTC total, you will probably earn these BTC back by August 2016, just after the halving.

Only with Bitmain throwing shittons of HW out the door are we seeing that much.  They won't be putting gear online @ 5% for that many months at least!

First of all, these increases are monthly increases, not the increase every 2 weeks.
Second, I assumed 5 billion increase each month, not 5% (i.e. linear increase, not exponential).

What do you think the S7 + PSU will be worth then?  You imply they will be worth nothing; and are not a factor to be considered.

Control your FUD.
bomberb17

Activity: 773
Merit: 528

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 12:37:06 PM

After the halving? I am not sure what the S7 will worth. Maybe $300 - $400.
PSU will worth something like $100.
dmwardjr
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 12:37:41 PM
Last edit: November 20, 2015, 01:36:48 PM by dmwardjr

There is no point to buy mining hardware and just hope for a BTC price increase. Just buying and holding BTC is much simpler and safer.  In other words, you should calculate your initial costs in BTC and see how many BTC you will get back. By investing 4.73 BTCfor a S7 + 0.487 BTC for PSU + ~1BTC for customs fees = 6.217BTC total, you will probably earn these BTC back by August 2016, just after the halving.

Why the "blanket" statement?  It may not be profitable for "you."  Does this mean it's not profitable for anyone else?  Like in another country, maybe?  I can tell by your local time and your estimated cost for customs fees that you are located in Europe.

1 BTC for "customs fees?"  Really?  WOW!!!  No wonder you don't want to buy S7's.  I can imagine your power costs may be substantially more than many of us in the US as well.

By the way, I also have my own PSU's for over a year from mining with previous rigs I owned well before the S7 was available.  They were $65.00 USD each [With free shipping] and two of them can power 5 x S7's very easily.  Do I have to buy new PSU's?  No, I don't.  I will have to buy more PCI-e cables to power them @ $3.25 each.  That is 7 x 16 AWG PCI-e cables for each S7 = $22.75 USD (0.07 BTC).

I have enough PSU's at present to power 54 x S7's.  Will I need to buy more PSU's soon?  Yes, I will.  Even if I do have to buy more PSU's with breakout boards soon, I can get them at $65 USD + $65 for breakout board = $130 USD (0.39BTC) for each .  Don't forget that each PSU I use can power 2.5 x S7's.  So, if we divide 0.39BTC by 2.5 = 0.156BTC costs for PSU for each S7.  0.156BTC + 0.07BTC for PCI-e cords = 0.226BTC

So, 0.226BTC my costs for PSU to power 1 x S7 compared to your 0.487BTC for PSU with PCI'e cords is more than double my cost.  

I have no "customs" fees.  I have the occasional brokerage fee of $29.00 USD to $69.00 USD depending on how many units were purchased.  Many times there is no brokerage fee at all.  It depends on whether I'm one of the lucky ones to be chosen among all the packages coming through.

So, try 4.73BTC for S7 + 0.226BTC for PSU with breakout board and PCI-e cords = 4.956BTC + 0.155 for shipping = 5.111BTC for me in the US compared to your 6.217BTC in Europe.  

But remember, the first 54 x S7's I purchase do not include the additional costs of PSU with breakout board and PCI-e cords.  Which means the first 54 x S7's for me would be 4.73BTC + 0.155BTC for shipping = 4.928BTC for me compared to your 6.217BTC.

Yes, I know your calculations are with FREE electricity.  However, the cost per S7 for me is 1.106BTC cheaper than yours IF I had to buy PSU's with PCI-e cords and breakout board.  My costs for the first 54 x S7's are 0.226BTC cheaper than that, seeing that no PSU's are required.  Which means 1.332BTC cheaper than your costs for the first 54 x S7's.

All ROI calculations should assume a stable BTC price.

Oh really?  So, it's okay for you to "buy" your BTC and speculate on price?  Yet, we who mine BTC, cannot speculate the price of bitcoin will increase just as you speculate?  We who mine have to assume a stable price (flat line)?  If that's the case, "you" who "buys" BTC has to assume a "stable" price as well and thereby not make one cent in profit cause you too would have to assume a "flat line price with no increase."  Why is it that we (who mine) cannot speculate on our investment and you (who buys) can speculate on yours?  

The rules you have placed on miners are disingenuous.  Both buyers and miners can speculate on price when investing.  We are simply investing in a different "means" to accomplish a similar "ends" ...  RETURN ON INVESTMENT WITH PROFITS.

We (who mine) are "buying" BTC just as you are buying BTC but in a different way.  You (the buyer) and we (the miner) can BOTH SPECULATE on an increase in price of BTC.  I'm speculating the price of BTC will increase at a percentage rate much higher than the percentage rate of difficulty increase over the next 9 months.  Just as you (the buyer) speculate on the price of bitcoin as well with Elliot Waves, bullish or bearish news or by whatever means you use in your speculation to have not only a return on investment (ROI) but gains to boot.

Is my speculation a bit more riskier than yours?  Yes.  However, where there are greater risks can also result in greater rewards if speculation for those greater risks come to pass.

Follow me on Trading View for excellent signals in Bitcoin/US dollar - Bitstamp - https://www.tradingview.com/u/WyckoffMode/.  You can follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/ModeWyckoff My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8IbhpQwrTD6BozJPWnyAHA  My Discord Invite Link: https://discord.com/invite/3EJYTytaTT  My Website is in LIVE BETA: https://wyckoffmode.com/
Seba13xp

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 01:09:06 PM

Seba.... how do you exchange BTC to USD in your country? Just curious

Coinbase
ATCkit

Activity: 786
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 01:45:44 PM

My Internet went down before i woke up this AM.

My S5s came back online when the internet came back up...but my S7 (batch 1) didn't. I can still see it when i check it thru my LAN. All the ASICs are there and have all 0's but there is no hashing. The fans are running too.

I rebooted. No change. I switched PSUs - still no change. I did a few reboots- no change. Then i reset it to factory settings- still no change. Finally, i called Bitmain in Denver. The tech guy used chrome remote desktop to look at my kernel log , miner status etc. Then he shh'd into my rig. He couldn't find a problem either.

So I will be contacting Bitmain to see what can be done.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I have this issue, go into Network>Diagnostic and then ping something. Go back after a minute and check if it is hashing.

Tried that already. The ping was successful but still no hashing.

Someone analyzed my kernel log today and replied with this:

"this looks like memory problem with your beagle bone black
change it with another BBB or find S5 BBB and reflash it for S7"

Bitmain said"

"i would suggest you to obtain micro SD card. and to mount s7 firmware from https://www.bitmaintech.com/support.htm?pid=00720151023101739550pOBiK5sO06A0

on sd card.

and then to place it in unit. maybe then unit will start working."

I will try that and let you guys know if it worked. I'm guessing more people will have this problem. If this fixes i, that would be nice.

I'd be very interested if this works for future units.  I have already sent the 9 hashcards and 3 controllers back to Bitmain.

It didn't work.

Now, I think the controller is bricked. All the LEDs on the front are now off. The blue and green lights inside the controller are solid ( ie: not blinking). I can't see it in my browser anymore. I can't reset it to default with the reset button.

So after 7 weeks and a few days of perfect functionality, my S7 is not working after an overnight internet outage of about 3 hrs.
 ( Note: there was an internet outage of about 30 mins a month ago. It didn't affect my S7 then. So, it seems if there's a longer internet outage, it messes up the controller or its memory.)

Bitmain Warranty has not responded to my ticket (#1384) since i reported that using the SD card did not work and the control board seems to be bricked. I also asked them if i could have approval to do an RMA and no response to that either.

Should I blindly send the controller ( with my invoice etc.) to Bitmain Warranty in Denver and hope they do something for me?

or

Do i have to wait for them to respond with some kind of RMA approval number like you you get from other companies (ex: Corsair, EVGA etc.)?
ColderThanIce

Activity: 373
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 01:54:38 PM

Port forwarding is your friend.  There are literally numerous ways to configure port forwarding.
You could simply install vnc server (most of which are free) on a box on the local lan and port forward to it on the router and use it for remote control if you don't want to configure multiple port forwards for each unit.
I'm surprised at how many people here suggest software application beyond network configuration given this is all networking.

If he has a RPi he could also set up a home VPN and just connect to that to navigate to the miner's interface. Might be a little safer than configuring all the miners to be directly accessible over the Internet.

ROLLIN.IO  BITCOIN   DICE   GAME
   ⚁    ⚂    ⚃    ⚄   ⚅   ⚁   ⚂
                                        ███████████████████    
                                      ██                                    ██
      ██████████████████                                    ██
      ██                            ██                                    ██
      ██                            ██                                    ██  
      ██                            ██                                    ██
      ██                            ██████████            ██████
      ██                            ██              ██          ██
      ██                            ██                 ██       ██
      ██                            ██                    ██    ██
      ███████        ███████                        ████
                ██     ██
                ██  ██
                ████

███████████
S  O  C  I  A  L
C H A T T I N G
                    ██
                  ████
                ██████
              ████████
            ██████████
          ████████████
        ██████████████
      ████████████████
    ██████████████████
  ████████████████████ 
              ████████
              ████████

████████

████████
██████████████
LEVEL UP SYSTEM
   WITH REWADS
                ██████
              ████████
            ██████████
          ████████████
        ██████████████
    ██████████████████
  ████████████████████
█         ████████████████
   ██████████████████ 
     ████████████████
        █████████████
           ██████████
                █████
██████████████
 FREE BITCOINS
fullzero
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 02:04:51 PM

After the halving? I am not sure what the S7 will worth. Maybe $300 - $400.
PSU will worth something like $100.

Your way off.  Can't wait to throw this in your face then; you FUD baby.
Pages: « 1 ... 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 [219] 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 ... 416 »
  Print  

Jump to: