Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 04:42:25 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... 133 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GekkoScience Compac BM1384 Stickminer Official Support Thread  (Read 267726 times)
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 05:48:13 AM

So the stick has been working well since i received it, however if i try to run it on a hub, it does not get found by cgminer. Reinstalling the zadig drivers or such does not change anything. Is there something else i need to install for the hub to work properly? (Windows 7)

I have other devices on the hub that work at the same time.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
zOU

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

★ these are stars ★

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 08:15:04 AM

If you want to run the sticks on linux, you'll need either bfgminer or cgminer.  Either way you are probably going to have to compile them, but I've had little trouble with this so it's probably just a matter of running a few simple commands.

Here's what you'd do to get cgminer on linux going:
1. Open a terminal.
2. wget http://gekkoscience.com/misc/cgminer-gekko.tar.gz            

This downloads the file- you can save it from your browser instead, it's the same thing.

3. tar -xvzf cgminer-gekko.tar.gz

This extracts the files. which are compressed (like a zip file for linux)

4. cd cgminer-gekko

Enters the cgminer-gekko folder you just extracted.

5. sudo apt-get install build-essential autoconf automake libtool

You need to install the dependencies for cgminer.

6. ./autogen.sh

This will generate a configure script for you which will set up compiling for your system.

7. ./configure --enable-gekko

This will configure the build.  This is the most likely place to have anything go wrong, if it does, let me know exactly what's up.  Odds are it would be some package that you should have installed.

8. make

Performs the build.  If you get an error there- again, let me know details.

You are ready to run cgminer.  This should look something like:

./cgminer -o stratum+tcp://stratum.mining.eligius.st:3334 -u 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr --compac-freq 150

Although if you don't have permissions setup you may have to become root or use sudo, eg,

sudo ./cgminer -o stratum+tcp://stratum.mining.eligius.st:3334 -u 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr --compac-freq 150

cgminer should now detect any compacs plugged in while it is running.  Obviously you'll use a slightly different command to launch cgminer, if you use that one you'll be mining for us!  Most pools even post example commands, let me know if you need help figuring it out.

--
novak

Thank youvery very very very much for this !

chiguireitor
Legendary

Activity: 872
Merit: 1010

Coins, Games & Miners

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2015, 12:56:10 PM

Also note that BFGMiner 5.4 will support setting Compac clocks as the MHz number directly.

Nice, i have one customer that was running BFG and switched to cgminer because somehow he couldn't attain more than 12 GHs with these sticks. Is this a known issue, or should i debug it further?
I have no problem getting 15 Gh/s myself.

Will be sure to test it out @ the office next week.

Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 05:44:51 PM

Note --set cbm:clock=xNNNN will also work; you just need to abbreviate it "cbm" and can't spell out "compac".
(That's what is being fixed in 5.4 - being able to spell it out)

I was unable to get --set cbm:clock=xNNNN to work.  I believe you said you used it on the pre-production stick that was sent to you, but I cannot duplicate your success on the production stick.
I assumed that your problem was the extra leading zero... no? :/

Can anyone else with a prod unit confirm/deny a problem?
I can't imagine what would be different.. :|

Ahh, could be.  I was thinking the leading 0 issue was with the RPC command, I do not recall if I used a leading 0 on the --set as well.  I will confirm tomorrow.

As an aside, the RPC way of adjusting frequency is pretty darn cool since you can do it while they are running.  Couple that with the adjustable voltage, also while running, and you've got real time feedback from a very customizable piece of hardware!

You were right, I must have been using the leading 0 in my command line because without it --set cbm:clock worked perfectly.  But like I said above, I still think the RPC way to do it is cool and useful.

VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 08:09:30 PM

So the stick has been working well since i received it, however if i try to run it on a hub, it does not get found by cgminer. Reinstalling the zadig drivers or such does not change anything. Is there something else i need to install for the hub to work properly? (Windows 7)

I have other devices on the hub that work at the same time.

So it seem to work on a USB 2.0 hub. I guess it does not work with USB 3.0? Anyways. I got some Y Splitter and they don't seem to allow to clock any higher, having 2 port connected to it does not let me raise the clock any more than without.

I seem to be stuck at 200-225hz. 250hz does not work with or without Y splitter. Disappointing.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 08:18:11 PM

Assuming you turned the voltage up, since that's one of those things you have to do to overclock it?

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 08:22:45 PM

Assuming you turned the voltage up, since that's one of those things you have to do to overclock it?

What points do I measure the voltage?

I plan on doing some OCing soon. On the far left and right pin of the usb connector?
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 08:27:27 PM
Last edit: October 22, 2015, 08:41:33 PM by VirosaGITS

I plan on doing some OCing soon. On the far left and right pin of the usb connector?
Also any idea why it doesn't run on my usb 3.0 hub? Nvm that part, it work when i replugged the hub in a different usb 3.0 port.

Okay thats my bad i had misunderstood how to change voltage, is it safe to turn the knob while the thing is hashing to find the sweet spot?

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
zOU

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

★ these are stars ★

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 08:29:57 PM

You may measure the core voltage any time the stick is plugged in by checking the test pads on the back with a multimeter- Gnd is ground and Vcore is the core voltage.

See bottom of 1st post.

sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 08:43:32 PM

Most of the questions anyone could ask in this thread are answered in the first post. Any question that can't be answered in the first post is more than likely either the result of a misunderstanding, misconfiguration or grounds for warranty replacement.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Mikestang
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 10:41:23 PM

is it safe to turn the knob while the thing is hashing to find the sweet spot?

Yes, you can adjust voltage while it is hashing and stop once the HW error stop.  Very nice for real-time feed back rather than having to edit a command line, stop and restart hashing, etc.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 10:59:50 PM

is it safe to turn the knob while the thing is hashing to find the sweet spot?

Yes, you can adjust voltage while it is hashing and stop once the HW error stop.  Very nice for real-time feed back rather than having to edit a command line, stop and restart hashing, etc.

Thank you, this is working great. Kinda wish volt control on Bitmain's stuff was this easy.

Most of the questions anyone could ask in this thread are answered in the first post. Any question that can't be answered in the first post is more than likely either the result of a misunderstanding, misconfiguration or grounds for warranty replacement.

Sadly, i do not see how to measure amperage to figure out what the maximum clock i should set it to with a y-splitter on an USB3.0 hub. I only have a multi meter.

I see a mention of listing settings for the best over and underclock, but it does not seem like it actually happened.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Mikestang
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 11:11:17 PM

Sadly, i do not see how to measure amperage to figure out what the maximum clock i should set it to with a y-splitter on an USB3.0 hub. I only have a multi meter.

Get a usb tester: http://www.amazon.com/DROK-Multimeter-Capacity-Charging-Alignment/dp/B00J3JSEG6

I just ordered 4 sets of Y cables so I can really start playing with my sticks.  Highest freq. I can get on hub right now is 262.5 without exceeding the amp rating for each port.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 11:14:21 PM

Get a usb tester: http://www.amazon.com/DROK-Multimeter-Capacity-Charging-Alignment/dp/B00J3JSEG6

I just ordered 4 sets of Y cables so I can really start playing with my sticks.  Highest freq. I can get on hub right now is 262.5 without exceeding the amp rating for each port.

Yeah i know about those, but i don't want to pay 20$(I'm in Canada) to test around with my 20$ toy. I through i could check the amp with the first and 4th pin, but that didn't work out. And i don't know enough about circuits to guess how to do it without frying stuff.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 11:19:32 PM

Yeah i know about those, but i don't want to pay 20$(I'm in Canada) to test around with my 20$ toy. I through i could check the amp with the first and 4th pin, but that didn't work out. And i don't know enough about circuits to guess how to do it without frying stuff.

I would suggest taking a look at ebay then.  If money and not timeline is the big concern you can get very low priced ones (Here is one example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Charger-Doctor-Voltage-Current-Meter-Mobile-Battery-Tester-Power-Detector-NE-/131214096046?hash=item1e8cf836ae:g:MtUAAOSwmrlUvcj9 )

But you can get it cheap just takes a while to get from China.  I'm not sure on Canada shipping but I imagine it still will be a few bucks total for one if your willing to wait.
sobe-it

Activity: 453
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 11:40:59 PM

I put a huge heat sink on one and I cant get it to start over 300 clock, it produces noise. I can get it to run at 275 for a little then it does the same thing, 250 is no issue.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 11:57:00 PM

I would suggest taking a look at ebay then.  If money and not timeline is the big concern you can get very low priced ones (Here is one example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Charger-Doctor-Voltage-Current-Meter-Mobile-Battery-Tester-Power-Detector-NE-/131214096046?hash=item1e8cf836ae:g:MtUAAOSwmrlUvcj9 )

But you can get it cheap just takes a while to get from China.  I'm not sure on Canada shipping but I imagine it still will be a few bucks total for one if your willing to wait.

Ah, thanks. I thought those only read Voltage. I got one for 3$ free shipping. 1 month ETA so i'll just wait until i do it before doing crazy clock on this thing. Smiley

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 01:38:35 AM

Ah, thanks. I thought those only read Voltage. I got one for 3$ free shipping. 1 month ETA so i'll just wait until i do it before doing crazy clock on this thing. Smiley

Not a problem that is part of what I love about this compac group is the sharing of info.  I got Y cables off ebay thanks to phil for cheap that I waited on, and worked awesome.
pepto

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 01:48:51 AM

I find that I only have only two opposing thumbs and this gets in the way when holding probes to the contact pads, reading the multi-meter, and turning the screw. ( I know, turn the screw and re-check, repeat..) Does anyone use alligator clips or mini-grabbers on these pads so you can fine tune on the fly?  Can I safely solder a wire to each of the two pads for easy access to a meter?
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 03:06:52 AM

I just ordered 4 sets of Y cables so I can really start playing with my sticks.  Highest freq. I can get on hub right now is 262.5 without exceeding the amp rating for each port.

I would suggest taking a look at ebay then.  If money and not timeline is the big concern you can get very low priced ones (Here is one example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Charger-Doctor-Voltage-Current-Meter-Mobile-Battery-Tester-Power-Detector-NE-/131214096046?hash=item1e8cf836ae:g:MtUAAOSwmrlUvcj9 )

But you can get it cheap just takes a while to get from China.  I'm not sure on Canada shipping but I imagine it still will be a few bucks total for one if your willing to wait.

Not a problem that is part of what I love about this compac group is the sharing of info.  I got Y cables off ebay thanks to phil for cheap that I waited on, and worked awesome.

I also got those Y cables off the link Phil gave. Smiley As soon as i receive that meter, i guess i'll try to OC it to the max. I wonder how high these things can go. I'm wondering what the bottleneck would be, the stick's own USB port?

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... 133 »
  Print  

Jump to: