Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 06:23:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... 555 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DCR] Decred - Community Governance | Bitcoin Devs | Lightning Network  (Read 1201075 times)
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1107

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 11:45:04 PM

blah blah blah im lost the airdrop blah blah
blah blah i feel envy blah blah
blah

the official forum already has more then 1000 members.
There is a decred's facebook group with around 350 investors just in my country, most of them participated in airdrop and few are bctalk members or official forum members.
No one of us will sell our coins from airdrop. We will buy more  Wink

You don't have to be a douchetaco about it. Yes, there is apparently 1,023 members of the official forum controlled by the dev team; it would probably be completely impossible for them to inflate the number of users by changing a number in a database, right? I'm not accusing anyone of anything, just pointing out that there is no transparency in the process.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 11:56:01 PM

Are there plans to release the identities of airdrop recipients? So people can see if a significant fraction of the airdrop went to newbie accounts or Twitter handles with a single tweet or friendless Facebookers, etc.

Absolutely not. This will never happen. It would be a complete violation of trust and an invasion of privacy.

Just curious after seeing this post from someone saying they were able to register (and receive confirmation) in the airdrop process using only an email address (not even a lightly used social media presence):
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1290358.msg13601490#msg13601490

Also, afaik there was not any verification that the email address I used to sign up has been checked that it is associated with this btctalk account, implying that you could claim any social media account as your own (that didn't have a public email), and then supply your own unrelated email address(es) to get an undeserved airdrop share.

I disagree that it would necessarily be a violation of privacy, since people are nominally registering with public social media accounts.

Anyway, I was just asking because I've probably seen at most 500 (and that's probably waaay overestimating) people commenting on this thread, irc, reddit, or twitter, so if it comes out that the number of airdrop participants is in the thousands, either we have to believe that the vast majority of airdrop participants are silent but honest participants, that someone or some people are gaming the system by claiming many more than a single share, or that the developers are inflating the number of users who signed up to keep the extra shares for themselves. The only way I could see that the developers can not just have to say, "trust us", is if the airdrop's social media accounts are publicly released, but apparently that isn't an option...

Decred could've easily stated that they'll do their best to make sure that folks aren't gaming the system via participation in the airdrop for a limited 5,000 participants. But, Decred opted to up the ante after being approached with how the system could easily be gamed (by me - NO OTHERS to date), whereupon they responded with having layers of defense mechanisms in place to ward off said gaming. It was after such exchange, of which was after most have already applied for the airdrop, thus freeing up their personnel to conduct a more fuller investigatory process on my scammy ass, that I signed up to test their layers, passing with flying colors, opting to sign up over a dozen more times. supplying Decred with ONLY newly created email addresses, with all that I've checked also passing muster, each having a unique "Confirmation link" within, in essence gaming the system in the same way I warned Decred about in which they offered up how the concern is moot given...

What did I receive in kind for revealing this truism?

And, we're all completely shocked that it would be you here raising a stink about it.  Get a life ya old coot.

nix_on

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 12:11:34 AM

blah

There is a decred's facebook group with around 350 investors just in my country, most of them participated in airdrop and few are bctalk members or official forum members.

You don't have to be a douchetaco about it. Yes, there is apparently 1,023 members of the official forum controlled by the dev team; it would probably be completely impossible for them to inflate the number of users by changing a number in a database, right? I'm not accusing anyone of anything, just pointing out that there is no transparency in the process.
At first don't want to offend you  BUT
In my opinion it is possible to have even 10 000 members.
That forum gather people arround the world. 57313 is the number of views that topic in that forum. But as you know its not the only one forum in bitcoin subject.
So is number 1000 members is fake ? For project like that I don't thing so
p.s.
Of course  for someone the real coin can be wampircoin, fishcoin, monkeycoin, africaanimalscoin,  etc.
Everybody has it's own common sense
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 12:31:26 AM

blah

I have never been on facebook.  From what you say it seems fb may have a bigger crypto scene than bct Tongue

Is your country small, medium or large?
davec

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 12:38:43 AM

Yes, there is apparently 1,023 members of the official forum controlled by the dev team; it would probably be completely impossible for them to inflate the number of users by changing a number in a database, right? I'm not accusing anyone of anything, just pointing out that there is no transparency in the process.

I'm more curious why it would even matter if it were true.  As a thought experiment, let's assume for a moment that everything you say were to actually happen.  Also, let's assume that all of the remaining 5,000 spots minus all of the people that have publicly posted they were accepted into the airdrop were filled by nothing but successful scammers, devs, and little magical fairies.  In that scenario, everyone that managed to get in still receives 168 coins for FREE.  Anything less than 5,000 spots means the participants get even more than that.  Nobody was asked for or paid any money.  This really seems like complaining about receiving free money to me.

Further, if the devs wanted to keep all the coins, why would they have even bothered with an airdrop to begin with?  The suggestion that they went through the entire airdrop process, of which there are already a huge number of people that have publicly posted they were accepted to, in order to turn around and keep the very same coins they simply could've simply kept to begin with seems like an whole heck of a lot of work to end up with less coins than they would've had without it.

Decred could've easily stated that they'll do their best to make sure that folks aren't gaming the system via participation in the airdrop for a limited 5,000 participants. But, Decred opted to up the ante after being approached with how the system could easily be gamed (by me - NO OTHERS to date), whereupon they responded with having layers of defense mechanisms in place to ward off said gaming.

Unless you spoke to them via PMs where more was stated, which is certainly possible, it appears to me like you are overstating the response.  I remember seeing the response and what you're saying here is not what I remembered reading, so I went and found the response.  Here it is: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1290358.msg13493398#msg13493398

I'll quote the relevant pieces:

This is a fair concern. There are a number of verification steps involved ... No system is going to be perfect, but reasonable steps can be taken to make it as inclusive and fair as possible.

I don't see anything there at all that even remotely implies "layers of defense mechanisms".  In fact, quite to the contrary, they even acknowledged the system wasn't "going to be perfect".  I personally read "but reasonable steps can be taken to make it as inclusive and fair as possible" as doing exactly what you said where they could have "easily stated that they'll do their best to make sure that folks aren't gaming the system".
DASHking

Activity: 7

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 01:02:09 AM

I'm more curious why it would even matter if it were true.  As a thought experiment, let's assume for a moment that everything you say were to actually happen.  Also, let's assume that all of the remaining 5,000 spots minus all of the people that have publicly posted they were accepted into the airdrop were filled by nothing but successful scammers, devs, and little magical fairies.  In that scenario, everyone that managed to get in still receives 168 coins for FREE.  Anything less than 5,000 spots means the participants get even more than that.  Nobody was asked for or paid any money.  This really seems like complaining about receiving free money to me.
(..)

It would mean that the dishonest people (those who have gamed the system) will be unfairly benefited, receiving 3x, 4x, 5x, n times the amount the "honest users" will receive.... that would be a bad start for a cryptocurrency: rewarding dishonest people to the detriment of the honest ones :/
techbytes
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1054

Point. Click. Blockchain

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 01:05:22 AM

(..)

It would mean that the dishonest people (those who have gamed the system) will be unfairly benefited, receiving 3x, 4x, 5x, n times the amount the "honest users" will receive.... that would be a bad start for a cryptocurrency: rewarding dishonest people to the detriment of the honest ones :/

Such is life even in the crypto world...

-tb-

DASHking

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 01:10:17 AM

(..)

Such is life even in the crypto world...

-tb-

Grin especially here at this BTCtalk forum... that's why I hate it here  Wink
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 01:16:27 AM

Yes, there is apparently 1,023 members of the official forum controlled by the dev team; it would probably be completely impossible for them to inflate the number of users by changing a number in a database, right? I'm not accusing anyone of anything, just pointing out that there is no transparency in the process.

Further, if the devs wanted to keep all the coins, why would they have even bothered with an airdrop to begin with?  The suggestion that they went through the entire airdrop process, of which there are already a huge number of people that have publicly posted they were accepted to, in order to turn around and keep the very same coins they simply could've simply kept to begin with seems like an whole heck of a lot of work to end up with less coins than they would've had without it.

Decred could've easily stated that they'll do their best to make sure that folks aren't gaming the system via participation in the airdrop for a limited 5,000 participants. But, Decred opted to up the ante after being approached with how the system could easily be gamed (by me - NO OTHERS to date), whereupon they responded with having layers of defense mechanisms in place to ward off said gaming.

Unless you spoke to them via PMs where more was stated, which is certainly possible, it appears to me like you are overstating the response.  I remember seeing the response and what you're saying here is not what I remembered reading, so I went and found the response.  Here it is: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1290358.msg13493398#msg13493398

I'll quote the relevant pieces:

This is a fair concern. There are a number of verification steps involved ... No system is going to be perfect, but reasonable steps can be taken to make it as inclusive and fair as possible.

I don't see anything there at all that even remotely implies "layers of defense mechanisms".  In fact, quite to the contrary, they even acknowledged the system wasn't "going to be perfect".  I personally read "but reasonable steps can be taken to make it as inclusive and fair as possible" as doing exactly what you said where they could have "easily stated that they'll do their best to make sure that folks aren't gaming the system".

Okay, let's eliminate all I've said, all you've said, and all Decred said with the exception of "There are a number of verification steps involved." Now, tell me how over a dozen email requests by me for an airdrop got approved by Decred AFTER they penned the above. Exactly what "verification steps" transpired to make sure that I'm not gaming the system?

Look, I'm the good guy here with no intent whatsoever in cashing in on the airdrop, but if I were able to obtain over a dozen codes, you know Goddamn well hundreds others did the same with perhaps dozens of codes at their disposals ready to cash in as soon as Decred goes live, not counting any airdrop codes in control by Decred to also take advantage of their own airdrop, especially since they just went on record in stating that there won't be any great reveal of whoms got what (this, of course, understandable for any entity, rogue or not).
EmilioMann
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1028

#mitandopelomundo

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 01:24:32 AM

blah

I have never been on facebook.  From what you say it seems fb may have a bigger crypto scene than bct Tongue

Is your country small, medium or large?

medium
https://www.facebook.com/groups/667062416769204/
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 01:48:08 AM

That link asks me to login.

Thanks but I will never know what is on fb.
DASHking

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 01:55:01 AM

That link asks me to login.

Thanks but I will never know what is on fb.

Cheesy you're not losing anything
marcelocoin

Activity: 1085
Merit: 500

hi =D

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2016, 02:35:11 AM

I join the FB group, not yet understand talk why it! Huh
misterYoda

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 02:38:40 AM

I join the FB group, not yet understand talk why it! Huh
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/multimedia/archive/00446/135528011_yoda_446072c.jpg
Ch3wbacca

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 03:18:57 AM

People are always afraid of new ideas.

PM me if you wish for me to advertise you
Godson_Mansa

Activity: 616
Merit: 503

@Mansa_Godson

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 04:34:17 AM

Can i not give a fuck about the vetting process
so what if people got multiple times
it just means cheaper decred at the exchanges for us
why you people complain so much ??

http://MutualCapitalCrypto.com

Bitrated user: AltcoinGodson.
davec

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 04:53:54 AM
Last edit: January 23, 2016, 05:07:03 AM by davec

I understand that, but really it's looking at it in the wrong light.  If you are only planning on getting 168 coins, which is the prudent thing to do, then anything more than that is just gravy.  Why not just be grateful for an extremely generous gift and getting in on the ground floor of a coin that appears to have a bright future instead of worrying about other people?  It should come as no surprise that there are scumbags out there.  I don't mean this as a personal attack, but anybody seriously getting upset about receiving free coins because maybe some unscrupulous folks managed to game the system a bit and get more than them seriously screams of an immature child whining "moooooooom, it's not fair Jimmy next door got two scoops of ice cream while I only got one".  Be happy you're eating ice cream while there are large populations of people that are starving.

Something else to consider is that even if some folks managed to scam and get some additional coins, it just means they're probably going to sell them as soon as they can and those of us who plan on holding can improve our positions on the cheap.

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 05:11:09 AM

I understand that, but really it's looking at it in the wrong light.  If you are only planning on getting 168 coins, which is the prudent thing to do, then anything more than that is just gravy.  Why not just be grateful for an extremely generous gift and getting in on the ground floor of a coin that appears to have a bright future instead of worrying about other people?  It should come as no surprise that there are scumbags out there.  I don't mean this as a personal attack, but anybody seriously getting upset about receiving free coins because maybe some unscrupulous folks managed to game the system a bit seriously screams of an immature child whining "moooooooom, it's not fair Jimmy next door got two scoops of ice cream while I only got one".  Be happy you're eating ice cream while there are large populations of people that are starving.

Something else to consider is that even if some folks managed to scam and get some additional coins, it just means they're probably going to sell them as soon as they can and those of us who plan on holding can improve our positions on the cheap.

Miss the point much?

I could care less who gets, and how much free money due to the doling out of an airdrop, nor of the unscrupulous folks who managed to game the system a bit OR A LOT.

Somebody please explain it to him so that I don't accidentally resort to using dirty words on this thread.
davec

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 05:33:34 AM

Miss the point much?
I could care less who gets, and how much free money due to the doling out of an airdrop, nor of the unscrupulous folks who managed to game the system a bit OR A LOT.

No, I didn't miss the point.  The simple fact is there are a few people on here complaining because maybe some folks got more than they did and that's unfair.  I'm sorry if it hurts anyone's frail sensibilities, but it is simply immature to complain that maybe somebody else got more free than they did.  Besides, even if we assume you're right and the process got scammed "A LOT", what purpose does it serve to get upset about it?  For anyone that was never expecting more than 168 coins, absolutely nothing changed for them.  Anyone expecting more than that is just setting themselves up for disappointment.  If it ends up being more, sweet, if it doesn't, it's what you already expected.
Yovas

Activity: 12

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 05:46:14 AM

Looking forward to the launch  Cheesy
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... 555 »
  Print  

Jump to: