Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:03:43 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ethminer-0.9.41-genoil-1.1  (Read 397330 times)
bensam1231
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1024

View Profile
May 29, 2016, 09:21:50 AM

STREAMING DAG GENERATION SAVES TIME--

The on-the-fly generation of the DAG file on the GPU(s) of a mining rig is accomplished in approximately 5 seconds.  On-disk generation can take as many minutes, or more.

The GPU begins to mine much more quickly.  Less down-time means more profit from active mining.  Also, there is no need to monitor a mining rig for disk space, especially if the system is on a 16GB USB stick.  My 16GB mining image is now easier and faster to operate.        --scryptr

For me it's about five minutes every couple days... We're talking fractional percent here. Admittedly I have semi-decent CPUs so it isn't as bad for me, but it still shouldn't take more then 20 minutes with like a AMD APU.

1.1 pre-release is out:

https://github.com/Genoil/cpp-ethereum/tree/110/

- no more DAG files (both CUDA/OpenCL)
- CUDA Compute 2.0 support is back

It looks like it's all working but I'm releasing early so you can help me test. Don't forget to remove your -E and -R params, that is all gone now.

CPU util seems down, RAM usage down of course. CPU validation is still in there, using the light cache.

no devfee, but do send me some ETH if you like it  Grin

Dual miner and I'll definitely send you some BTC again. Cool idea with the streaming DAG though.

It's not my idea, it's Wolf0's (or sp_'s even if you look at it differently) and Claymore implemented it first Grin.

I don't have time for a dual, but I also said that about the streaming DAG Wink

Actually, I implemented it first - which is how I knew it worked - in my custom sgminer.

If you did, you never talked about it, much like other things that actually help normal miners. Gotta keep it all yourself you know. Pallas or Berthrolobo or whatever his name was talked about it last year some time in the SP thread and I kept poking at it, especially after the Claymore release.

Which means, as always, it really doesn't even matter what you're doing.

Christ, you're fucking stupid. Giving Claymore the idea wasn't talking about it?

Claymore's release came around this last spring. That's not the timeline I quoted. "especially after" means a increase in frequency, not the beginning.

Dude is following me like a lost puppy, except he has a bone to pick.

You realize you joined the conversation after me and the original quote thread includes my quote which predates yours?

As far as a bone to pick. Just setting things right. You seem to like taking liberties and bragging when you don't have anything to brag about.

Here's your proof: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1433925.msg14677943#msg14677943

And yeah, I did - but the second I post, you always have shit to say.

We're talking about two different things here. I was talking about a dual miner and where the idea came from, not the streaming DAG idea. Pretty sure you could've figured that out from my first second post including the extra bits you snipped out of my posts when quoting them.

Genoil mentions the DAG gen on GPU idea, and that it was my idea, but Claymore implemented it first. I correct him on that, and it's obvious I'm talking about the DAG generation. Then you jump in with some half-cocked bullshit, and when I prove you wrong, you go "I meant something else." Either you have a hard time reading, or you got proved wrong and now want to backpedal.

I jumped in? Look at the quote tree you continually quote dude. I was talking to Genoil, then you jumped in. It's pretty obvious I was talking about the dual miner. Go figure you can't figure out what I'm talking about when you selectively read everything.

I have and have had no interest in a streaming DAG, we've talked about a dual miner quite a bit in SPs thread. I've also talked about it elsewhere on the forums... like this specific thread multiple times and I've talked about it in Claymores thread.

You can't even gracefully understand a misunderstanding... This would normally be seen as a mutual misunderstanding, everything I was talking about was referring to the dual miner. Matter of a fact if anything I actually understood there was a misunderstanding while you keep trying to grind your heels in regardless of what's happening.

If you want to act like a asshole... when I was talking about you gaining more profit from using it, what sort of extra profit does a streaming DAG generate? Or are you that full of yourself that you assume anything you do makes profits? You save a couple GB on HD space, which means you can buy a smaller HD? Maybe the little bit of time the miner spends regenerating the DAG every couple days could be bypassed? It's nice from a utility and maintenance standpoint, but doesn't earn you more money in any notable form. I haven't even upgraded to the new version because the bugs outweigh a tried and true system. It's not a feature I was even looking for, especially with DAG cleanup.

Backpedal my ass, that was me closing the argument because it was a misunderstanding rather then rail you on the fact you were completely ignorant to what's going on... even after it's over and I showed you what was happening you still didn't even go back and look at the quotes and are STILL trying to perpetuate what we were talking about as if it somehow still has meaning.

Actually, what kind of profit does a DAG on GPU generate? Well, good question. When building out a farm, it means you can use a lot less RAM per rig, which does save money - you can save on HDDs, too.

But meh, fuck it. I finally managed to improve this damned thing, so I'm happy enough to not give a fuck less Cheesy

Ah back to bragging, I guess that's a step in the right direction...

You don't need ram, it's always pagefile. As long as you have a adequately big drive (or use USB) you can build out your pagefile quite a bit while maintaining a small amount of memory. There is no performance trade off as it often time seems as though the pagefile isn't even actively used, it's just used as a placeholder after loading. With SSDs any sort of gap is even smaller.

I buy private Nvidia miners. Send information and/or inquiries to my PM box.
induktor

Activity: 710
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 29, 2016, 04:25:55 PM

Are you kidding me?, it took only 2 seconds to generate a 1.5GB DAG?? holy FUCK!, that awesome Genoil, genius!.

previous version generating it on the flash drive took me 23 minutes  Shocked

awesome!

Two is pretty good. I do it in... I think like four-ish seconds, but I have 4 GPUs in it.

3 x GTX 970 Gigabyte, impressive perfomance, and it is not the CPU (a tiny low power AM1 2Ghz quadcore APU), man i gotta learn to code cuda/ocl ... i never got past C Sad but i will start dedicate more time on this.

Actually, this kernel is a MASSIVE pain in the ass to make faster. It doesn't react to most of what you do, and the AMD OCL compiler is having none of this shit - hates the algo so much that it tends to erroneously compile your shit FAR more than usual. So, small tweaks aren't gonna fly with this one.

To get my speed increases, I first had to rewrite Ethash entirely in a different way - which got me the very first substantial increase. After that, I just said fuck it - the compiler is too much of a pain in my ass, so I modified Genoil's Ethminer implementation to load binaries. After that, I dropped to GCN assembly to continue working, where I can control things a little better.
damn, man if you say it's hard, we all fucked! hehe, if you compile it in GCN it means it won't work on cuda right?

BTC addr: 1vTGnFgaM2WJjswwmbj6N2AQBWcHfimSc
Genoil (OP)

Activity: 438
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2016, 04:35:39 PM

Are you kidding me?, it took only 2 seconds to generate a 1.5GB DAG?? holy FUCK!, that awesome Genoil, genius!.

awesome!

Two is pretty good. I do it in... I think like four-ish seconds, but I have 4 GPUs in it.

3 x GTX 970 Gigabyte, impressive perfomance, and it is not the CPU (a tiny low power AM1 2Ghz quadcore APU), man i gotta learn to code cuda/ocl ... i never got past C Sad but i will start dedicate more time on this.

Actually, this kernel is a MASSIVE pain in the ass to make faster. It doesn't react to most of what you do, and the AMD OCL compiler is having none of this shit - hates the algo so much that it tends to erroneously compile your shit FAR more than usual. So, small tweaks aren't gonna fly with this one.

To get my speed increases, I first had to rewrite Ethash entirely in a different way - which got me the very first substantial increase. After that, I just said fuck it - the compiler is too much of a pain in my ass, so I modified Genoil's Ethminer implementation to load binaries. After that, I dropped to GCN assembly to continue working, where I can control things a little better.
damn, man if you say it's hard, we all fucked! hehe, if you compile it in GCN it means it won't work on cuda right?

Part of what he has done has already been in the CUDA kernel for about a year (because in CUDA this is much much easier). It gave a 3% performance increase.

ETH: 0xeb9310b185455f863f526dab3d245809f6854b4d
BTC: 1Nu2fMCEBjmnLzqb8qUJpKgq5RoEWFhNcW
Longsnowsm

Activity: 868
Merit: 517

View Profile
May 29, 2016, 08:37:38 PM

I am thinking about trying this miner with some Nvidia cards and Linux.  I found the following notes on the releases page..  Is there anything else that we need to get this working?  Any other software, or known issues that I should be aware of?  Any tips on getting Nvidia cards up and working with this miner would be awesome.  Thanks.

From the Release Page:
wget http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/repos/ubuntu1404/x86_64/cuda-repo-ubuntu1404_7.5-18_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i cuda-repo-ubuntu1404_7.5-18_amd64.deb
sudo apt-get -y install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:ethereum/ethereum
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install git cmake libcryptopp-dev libleveldb-dev libjsoncpp-dev libjson-rpc-cpp-dev libboost-all-dev libgmp-dev libreadline-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev ocl-icd-libopencl1 opencl-headers mesa-common-dev libmicrohttpd-dev build-essential cuda -y
git clone https://github.com/Genoil/cpp-ethereum/
cd cpp-ethereum/
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DBUNDLE=miner ..
make -j8
Genoil (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2016, 09:24:46 PM

I am thinking about trying this miner with some Nvidia cards and Linux.  I found the following notes on the releases page..  Is there anything else that we need to get this working?  Any other software, or known issues that I should be aware of?  Any tips on getting Nvidia cards up and working with this miner would be awesome.  Thanks.

From the Release Page:
wget http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/repos/ubuntu1404/x86_64/cuda-repo-ubuntu1404_7.5-18_amd64.deb
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install git cmake libcryptopp-dev libleveldb-dev libjsoncpp-dev libjson-rpc-cpp-dev libboost-all-dev libgmp-dev libreadline-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev ocl-icd-libopencl1 opencl-headers mesa-common-dev libmicrohttpd-dev build-essential cuda -y
cd cpp-ethereum/
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DBUNDLE=miner ..
make -j8
For the 1.1 prerelease you'll need to checkout the 110 branch.

induktor

View Profile
May 29, 2016, 10:45:25 PM

From the Release Page:
sudo apt-get update
cd cpp-ethereum/
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DBUNDLE=miner ..
make -j8

In my rig, the apt-get install cuda, didn't work, i get "unknown package", so i removed it, i already had cuda installed for the ccminer from tpruvot and sp

also i had to do
cmake -DBUNDLE=cudaminer ..  instead of just miner, or it will not compile with cuda support Sad
prettymuch everything else is straightforward, go for it. Wink

smaxz

Activity: 430
Merit: 253

VeganAcademy

View Profile
May 29, 2016, 11:09:54 PM

From the Release Page:
sudo apt-get update
cd cpp-ethereum/
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DBUNDLE=miner ..
make -j8

whats the oldest available branch you would suggest someone use before its imperative to upgrade?

- NGdTwHRSdnThdi1drQuHGT3khAHRtZ1HMq -
Genoil (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 02:21:54 AM

From the Release Page:
sudo apt-get update
cd cpp-ethereum/
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DBUNDLE=miner ..
make -j8

whats the oldest available branch you would suggest someone use before its imperative to upgrade?

If your rigs run stable, I don't see a real reason to upgrade from 1.0.x to 1.0.y, unless you're looking for a specific feature. 1.1 isn't final yet, hence the different branch that I have it available in now. It will have the biggest change in it compared to the others: as in the streaming DAG files. It will quite likely als be the last release in this 0.9.41 series. I'm going to try something different maybe.

Ultrabat

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 07:05:27 AM

Is it possible to send out the miner hashing rates to a pool? I use the ethpool.org. I want to monitor my miners.

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 08:10:28 AM

awesome!

Where did you find an AM1 motherboard with 3 PCI-E slots?

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 02:34:50 PM
Last edit: May 30, 2016, 04:14:07 PM by Amph

a strange thing is happening when i mine in stratum mode on cointron and etheremine

basically my gpu show 0% usage but core and mem are at full speed, and it's not working, i need to kill the miner and start it again

what it make even stranger is that this thing only happen with one rig, the one with the low end cpu(g1840), that it is used at 40%

something wrong with the new version, 1.1 and weak cpu i think

edit

now happened with the other rig too, 100% that it has to do with the stratum mode thing, when i use dwarf and their stratum it does not happen ever
induktor

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 03:30:20 PM

awesome!

Where did you find an AM1 motherboard with 3 PCI-E slots?

Gigabyte AM1M-S2H
works like a charm
costs nothing
power usage is almost nonexistent
 Grin

voidwalker

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 06:54:17 PM

So yesterday I managed to compile genoil's miner for the first time on manjaro linux (arch based), after a very long time of struggles. I did it on a test virtualbox installation. Today I tried to install it on a real computer, but had no luck, following the same instructions I used before. I tried again on virtualbox and again no luck, the same error appeared. I am totally clueless now to what's going on or what exactly I did to make it work (I deleted the old virtualbox drive).
This is the error I get http://pastebin.com/cKx10qbb
I use these command to get it installed:

sudo pacman -Syyu
sudo pacman -S cmake boost yaourt screen crypto++ leveldb miniupnpc libcpuid opencl-headers cuda gcc49 libmicrohttpd
yaourt libjson-rpc-cpp

export CC=gcc-4.9
export CXX=g++-4.9
git clone https://github.com/Genoil/cpp-ethereum
cd cpp-ethereum && git checkout 110 && mkdir build && cd build && cmake -DBUNDLE=cudaminer ..
cd libethash-cl/ && mkdir CL && cd CL && wget https://www.khronos.org/registry/cl/api/1.1/cl.hpp
cd ~/cpp-ethereum/build/libethash-cuda/CMakeFiles/ethash-cuda.dir
nano ethash-cuda_generated_ethash_cuda_miner_kernel.cu.o.cmake ###line 79, remove "-std;-c++;"
cd ~/cpp-ethereum/build && make

What am I doing wrong here? Btw genoil can you please add cl.hpp to /cpp-ethereum/libethash-cl/CL/ in the 110 branch? It doesn't compile without that file.
Also can you check ethash-cuda_generated_ethash_cuda_miner_kernel.cu.o.cmake in /cpp-ethereum/build/libethash-cuda/CMakeFiles/ethash-cuda.dir and fix the "nvcc fatal : redefinition of argument 'std'" error ? I just removed -std;-c++; from line 79 but maybe that's not the perfect way to fix it.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 07:28:24 PM

there is a way to mine with only the second gpu or third or any other minus the first? -t does not work, it run only the first gpu, if you set 0 or 1 or whatever

ok found it --cuda-devices N
induktor

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 07:50:17 PM

So yesterday I managed to compile genoil's miner for the first time on manjaro linux (arch based), after a very long time of struggles. I did it on a test virtualbox installation. Today I tried to install it on a real computer, but had no luck, following the same instructions I used before. I tried again on virtualbox and again no luck, the same error appeared. I am totally clueless now to what's going on or what exactly I did to make it work (I deleted the old virtualbox drive).
This is the error I get http://pastebin.com/cKx10qbb
I use these command to get it installed:

sudo pacman -Syyu
sudo pacman -S cmake boost yaourt screen crypto++ leveldb miniupnpc libcpuid opencl-headers cuda gcc49 libmicrohttpd
yaourt libjson-rpc-cpp

export CC=gcc-4.9
export CXX=g++-4.9
git clone https://github.com/Genoil/cpp-ethereum
cd cpp-ethereum && git checkout 110 && mkdir build && cd build && cmake -DBUNDLE=cudaminer ..
cd libethash-cl/ && mkdir CL && cd CL && wget https://www.khronos.org/registry/cl/api/1.1/cl.hpp
cd ~/cpp-ethereum/build/libethash-cuda/CMakeFiles/ethash-cuda.dir
nano ethash-cuda_generated_ethash_cuda_miner_kernel.cu.o.cmake ###line 79, remove "-std;-c++;"
cd ~/cpp-ethereum/build && make

What am I doing wrong here? Btw genoil can you please add cl.hpp to /cpp-ethereum/libethash-cl/CL/ in the 110 branch? It doesn't compile without that file.
Also can you check ethash-cuda_generated_ethash_cuda_miner_kernel.cu.o.cmake in /cpp-ethereum/build/libethash-cuda/CMakeFiles/ethash-cuda.dir and fix the "nvcc fatal : redefinition of argument 'std'" error ? I just removed -std;-c++; from line 79 but maybe that's not the perfect way to fix it.
sounds like library missing, did you install all the libraries mentioned on the README.md ?

from the Genoil's cpp-ethereum readme:
Code:
sudo apt-get update

Genoil (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 08:08:50 PM

Pushed some changes to the 110 branch.
- binaries built with CUDA 8RC for Compute 2.0 and up
- CUDA kernel housekeeping
- some makefile fixes

Nothing special really, updating not required if all is fine.

I'm going to see if a simpler stratum client implementation will improve things.

induktor

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 08:37:21 PM

Pushed some changes to the 110 branch.
- binaries built with CUDA 8RC for Compute 2.0 and up
- CUDA kernel housekeeping
- some makefile fixes

Nothing special really, updating not required if all is fine.

I'm going to see if a simpler stratum client implementation will improve things.

awesome
thanks
I will test it tonight when i get home

voidwalker

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 08:51:29 PM

Genoil, I tried the new release, checkout the 110 branch.
Now I get a new error: [ 61%] Building NVCC (Device) object libethash-cuda/CMakeFiles/ethash-cuda.dir/ethash-cuda_generated_ethash_cuda_miner_kernel.cu.o
nvcc fatal   : Unsupported gpu architecture 'compute_61'

Please tell me how to fix it. Also, can you look at my previous post on this page, the problems I mentioned are still not fixed in the new release. The compile still hangs at the " "nvcc fatal : redefinition of argument 'std'" error, and the CL/cl.hpp file appears to be there in the 110 branch, but after I run cmake in the build folder it's not there, although i am not sure it's necessary, since now I get a completely new error. Please advise.

edit: I saw your post on the other forum, I understand now why you keep those error generating arguments. Ubuntu uses gcc-5.3, and it's normal to have that as the target as most people use it. I can't stand it for some reason.
BitMinerN8

Activity: 626
Merit: 500

Mining since May 2011.

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 05:06:12 AM

Now I get a new error: [ 61%] Building NVCC (Device) object libethash-cuda/CMakeFiles/ethash-cuda.dir/ethash-cuda_generated_ethash_cuda_miner_kernel.cu.o
I'm getting this error too when trying to make the 110 branch with -DBUNDLE=cudaminer ..
Running on Mint 17.3, all other versions worked prior.
Genoil (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 05:15:50 AM

I'm getting this error too when trying to make the 110 branch with -DBUNDLE=cudaminer ..
Running on Mint 17.3, all other versions worked prior.

This is because the default list of supported compute platforms now includes Compute 6.1 for the 10x0 series. It requires CUDA 8 RC to build. If you don't want to install CUDA 8, you can add -DCOMPUTE=52 to the cmake line to support only Compute 5.2 devices,  -DCOMPUTE=30 to support only Compute 3.0 devices, and so on.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 »
  Print  

Jump to: