Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 11:50:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 [283] 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 ... 345 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XEL] Elastic Project - The Decentralized Supercomputer  (Read 450448 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
coralreefer

Activity: 464
Merit: 260

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 07:28:35 PM

I'm sure your BTC example made the overhead crystal clear...that is why I have always pushed against the POW logic.  But this would have to be a community decision...it would basically mean miners would only earn XEL if a bounty was found (which I believe is the correct approach)...but that means you could run your miner for days on end with no immediate return.  this is a complete paradigm shift from what people think of as mining, so I'm not sure the community would be interested.

They way you put it, it sounds more like the difference between pool mining and solo.
Maybe for most people, pool mining is the "normal", but should that be the case?

I'm all for the change you suggested, FWIW

bspus, that's a great analogy...(but there is actually no reason XEL can't have pools, it would just require completely new pool logic).  However, here's the main issue with just abandoning POW (even though as I've stated all all for getting rid of it)...

In coin mining, you know there is a solution, and you can calculate the estimated time for you to find a solution based on  your hashrate.  With XEL, the job author can code unsolvable problems...either by mistake, or on purpose to disrupt the network.  So you could technically mine something where it's not actually possible to find a bounty.

There are of course other alternatives to POW...one that I suggested to EK many months back (which I personally think is the best approach) is that we could have 2 types of Bounties, with 2 different payouts.  So back to your Pool analogy, the author could set a bounty for intermediate results (equivalent of a share in a mining pool) that have a lower threshold, then a different bounty amount for final solutions (equivalent of finding a block).  The advantage of a solution like this instead of the POW logic that already coded in elastic is that in the existing logic, POW is 100% overhead...it has nothing to do with finding solutions to the submitted job...A threshold approach would mean all the computational power is looking for solutions.

So using a more realistic example than mining coins, let say the author is using Elastic to find the optimum layout on an ASIC board they are designing...their final bounty target is a design that runs at 200Mhz.  They could set intermediate bounties for any solution over 100Mhz, or 150Mhz, etc.  So people could get rewarded for their work even if a 200Mhz solution is never found, the author could still use the next highest solution they got.

Of course, logic like this takes quite a bit of time and effort to code...and I'm with the group that feels Elastic should launch sooner than later (even without the ElasticPL logic) in order to bring new talent to the project.
clivemy

Activity: 190
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 07:42:47 PM

I have a strange feeling of this day. After interesting news for the community as the vote for the logo, which I really never understood that was as high priority, and the new video of EK, always interesting, suddenly come back to appear in the atmosphere a very rare atmosphere, accompanied by The tremendous word, Mainnet.

On one occasion, something similar happened, EK commented that he would leave 2 weeks of vacation to the Dominican Republic.

I just hope that now that I see, thanks to the video, that EK is still working on Elastic with enough momentum, do not have the same feeling that I have today.

It is not good that such an important project pivots into one person, but after all, thanks to that we are here.

Vote for Mainnet? I'm afraid I do not understand. You can vote for a logo, or if you like apples or oranges, but vote to force someone, who until now has worked without ties of time or money, to finish his work, that would be something he would not understand .

I would let EK work as I have done so far. I trust his judgment, when he believes that the project is ready, he will present it and we will all enjoy his result.

You can vote for anything, except on Mainnet. It is my humble opinion.

Do not spoil this fantastic atmosphere that we had until today.

Greetings.

I believe Unvoid's arguments are sound and that we need to release the XEL tokens in order to get help for EK, so this project can get to the finish line.

EK has and always will be the champion of this project.  The argument is simply that to get other developers to join this project, we need to provide them with the opportunity to have a financial stake in it.

By releasing the tokens, potential new developers have that opportunity, as those that want out unload their XEL.

Does releasing the tokens require mainnet?  Could we just release the tokens?

Either way, it would be nice to know what the community thinks, rather than just accepting opinions posted on here, by holding a relevant vote.
Evil-Knievel
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1168

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 07:47:36 PM

Well, I am not launching (and will never be launching) anything but if the majority wants a light client launched with just the basic coin transfer functions armed, I would offer my assistance in implementing such functionality for whoever feels empowered to get the ball rolling. Maybe a democratic vote would be the right thing here?
cyberhacker
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 07:51:35 PM

Well, I am not launching (and will never be launching) anything but if the majority wants a light client launched with just the basic coin transfer functions armed, I would offer my assistance in implementing such functionality for whoever feels empowered to get the ball rolling. Maybe a democratic vote would be the right thing here?

great!  then we all together now.

still wanna unvoid host the vote.

Bgjjj2016

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Ben2016

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 07:56:29 PM

great!  then we all together now.

still wanna unvoid host the vote.

Now that EK is giving the green light for voting, I'm in .

My " I want that Old Toyota Camry very bad" BTC Fund :1DQU4oqmZRcKSzg7MjPLMuHrMwnbDdjQRM
Join the Elastic revolution! Elastic Network: The Decentralized Supercomputer 
ELASTIC WEBSITE|ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD|JOIN THE SLACK
ImI
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 07:59:32 PM

I kinda like the idea that XEL (in comparison to other projects) enters the market and actually DELIVERS what other projects are still trying to accomplish. If we go to the markets just like any other coin/token we basically loose our advantage of being so far ahead and have only our disadvantages of not having as much superb PR etc than the other projects. So to state it more clearly we have only ONE entrance the markets and that happens with a BOOM if we have a working software. If we activate the actual network later we risk that no one will take notice. Maybe not "no one" but we wont have such a really nice "Bam here we are and we are accomplishing what others are trying."

So i am not in favor of launching a lite-version.

Edit: You see folks, no one knows Elastic at the moment. They havent heard about it, yes even in the slack channels of our competition most have no idea about Elastic. If we go to the markets with a working software the effect will be mindblowing. If not then expect us to trade WELL below iEx.ec and other stuff, cause we are just one out of lots of others.
Beoga
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1141

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 08:08:21 PM

It would be very good.
Bgjjj2016

Ben2016

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 08:11:11 PM

I kinda like the idea that XEL (in comparison to other projects) enters the market and actually DELIVERS what other projects are still trying to accomplish. If we go to the markets just like any other coin/token we basically loose our advantage of being so far ahead and have only our disadvantages of not having as much superb PR etc than the other projects. So to state it more clearly we have only ONE entrance the markets and that happens with a BOOM if we have a working software. If we activate the actual network later we risk that no one will take notice. Maybe not "no one" but we wont have such a really nice "Bam here we are and we are accomplishing what others are trying."

Edit: You see folks, no one knows Elastic at the moment. They havent heard about it, yes even in the slack channels of our competition most have no idea about Elastic. If we go to the markets with a working software the effect will be mindblowing. If not then expect us to trade WELL below iEx.ec and other stuff, cause we are just one out of lots of others.
what's a Lite-version ? The video EK showed today was a completely functioning system. So why a Lite-version ?

My " I want that Old Toyota Camry very bad" BTC Fund :1DQU4oqmZRcKSzg7MjPLMuHrMwnbDdjQRM
ImI
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 08:12:03 PM

Also one other thing: It's an important question when a launch of a "Full-version" is to be expected. Cause it wouldn't make any sense to launch a Lite-Version when the Full-Version is just weeks away.
ImI
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 08:13:53 PM

what's a Lite-version ? The video EK showed today was a completely functioning system. So why a Lite-version ?

Basic function = You can send XEL around, but that's all.
clivemy

Activity: 190

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 08:14:28 PM

We are in a sort of Catch 22 situation and it's good to see the arguments for and against launching being aired.

I would argue that by releasing a light version we could attract Devs, testers and PR people to join in the project and help EK and the community to realise the full potential of Elastic, by giving them the opportunity to have a financial stake in it.

Anyone that has been reading this thread can see the ridiculous hours that EK is having to put in.  

Is it right that we continue to expect him to carry this burden alone?  

Plus, with a bigger team of developers, it might be possible to come up with a timeline for release of a full version.

I think it's reasonable to at least put this to a vote within the community.
Bgjjj2016

Ben2016

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 08:20:33 PM

Thank you, I understand. But my question is the video I just watched seemed like a full version, a great functioning version. So why releasing a basic ( Lite ) version ?

nightwishx

Activity: 900
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2017, 08:23:29 PM

We are in a sort of Catch 22 situation and it's good to see the arguments for and against launching being aired.

I would argue that by releasing a light version we could attract Devs, testers and PR people to join in the project and help EK and the community to realise the full potential of Elastic, by giving them the opportunity to have a financial stake in it.

Anyone that has been reading this thread can see the ridiculous hours that EK is having to put in.  

Is it right that we continue to expect him to carry this burden alone?  

Plus, with a bigger team of developers, it might be possible to come up with a timeline for release of a full version.

I think it's reasonable to at least put this to a vote within the community.
agree,in order to bring new talent to the project.

ImI
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 08:31:59 PM

How to accomplish going from Lite -> Full Version? We would need a HF right?
Tradingriver

Activity: 150

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 08:32:42 PM

Thank you, I understand. But my question is the video I just watched seemed like a full version, a great functioning version. So why releasing a basic ( Lite ) version ?

yeah, I do not understand it too! Why do we need a lite version? Could EK please explain it for ELI5? Please consider, most people are none coders here, so we are confused. Why do we
need a Lite-version at all, if you could do this stuff you showed on the testnet?
Alondre

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

Quiero mi bocadillo

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 08:36:39 PM

yeah, I do not understand it too! Why do we need a lite version? Could EK please explain it for ELI5? Please consider, most people are none coders here, so we are confused. Why do we
need a Lite-version at all, if you could do this stuff you showed on the testnet?

Gentlemen, I think we should wait until everything is as it should be. I would love to see tomorrow XEL worth 20 $ ... is surely one of the most Xel have and I have a very high interest that the project works well.
But I do not think it isnt  very intelligent, leaving a half-time job and not having XEL working at 100%.
If someone needs a pump, just go to poloniex and buy any coins ...

```
Join the XEL revolution!  XEL - Decentralized Grid-computing
XEL WEBSITE | ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | XEL DISCORD | XEL WIKI
```
Evil-Knievel
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 08:38:14 PM

How to accomplish going from Lite -> Full Version? We would need a HF right?

Either a HF, or we could use the new soft fork voting mechanism where the other features become "locked in" if enough block generators set the proper flag in their configuration. Either way ... a software update will be mandatory! This also means, that some "less freqeuently online people" will end up with a non-functioning wallet. But if we use the new soft fork voting, they will at least not end up on a fork, their client just stops working when the "feature" gets locked in.
ImI
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 08:40:10 PM

I am not EK but as i see it it's a question of stability. You don't wanna be traded at exchanges and then the blockchain gets stuck. You can imagine what would happen to our little precious project...
Evil-Knievel
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 08:41:12 PM

Why do we

I never said, that we need a lite wallet. The community just showed interest in a lite wallet because the "full features" are partly unstable, not tested well enough, and things would still need some time. But who am I to decide, my vote (and I hope this is this way because we are a democratic project) is only worth a fraction - exactly as much as my XEL holdings weigh in a vote.

So if someone starts a vote, I will vote for no. But if yes wins, I can assist with coding (not launching).
cyberhacker
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 08:42:40 PM

Gentlemen, I think we should wait until everything is as it should be. I would love to see tomorrow XEL worth 20 $ ... is surely one of the most Xel have and I have a very high interest that the project works well.
But I do not think it isnt  very intelligent, leaving a half-time job and not having XEL working at 100%.
If someone needs a pump, just go to poloniex and buy any coins ...

i don't think there will be a 100% working product in near future.

this is going to be feature plus feature long-term development.

EK needs more talented devs. a basic client will bring more momentum at this moment.

Pages: « 1 ... 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 [283] 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 ... 345 »
  Print  

Jump to: