Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2020, 09:48:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 0.19.0.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Beware of PayPal and other reversible transfer services  (Read 326411 times)
haileyjulle25

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 25, 2019, 09:56:18 PM

I have a very bad experience with this gift payment so I'll never advise you to do anything with PayPal that I lost my 2 btc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CoinFascination

Activity: 72

View Profile
July 12, 2019, 07:15:00 PM

I have a very bad experience with this gift payment so I'll never advise you to do anything with PayPal that I lost my 2 btc.

Are you able to share what problem you saw?
K_Bulk

Activity: 1

View Profile
August 07, 2019, 11:51:02 AM

Thanks , good to know but as you said most giftcards , so Are there trusted amazon giftcards sellers for BTC or a thread for that ?
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1810

Exchange Bitcoin quicky--https://blockchain.com.do

View Profile
August 07, 2019, 12:55:06 PM

Thanks , good to know but as you said most giftcards , so Are there trusted amazon giftcards sellers for BTC or a thread for that ?

The only user I could vouch for (discounted cards/balance) - not active for a few days: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1789747.0

You also have Purse.io where you can get discounts up to 33% (someone else does the buying for you, and it's not a gift card that you could choose yourself).

If you want a faster way and you don't mind paying (1:1) rates then you should go with Bitrefill or eGifter.

stealth 1776

Activity: 16

View Profile
October 14, 2019, 10:07:50 PM

Money sent through PayPal and any other money transfer service that accepts credit cards can be easily reversed by the sender, even after several weeks. Therefore, you should only accept PayPal in trades with people you trust very highly.

This is why newbies are not likely to sell their PayPal USD for bitcoins successfully.

Some other services that are not totally safe:
- Bank transfers (ACH, etc.) except wire transfers
- Most gift cards.
- Moneypak
- AlertPay
- Paysafecards
- Dwolla
- Western Union (they reportedly will sue the recipient to recover money in some cases)

This is exactly what I was talking about in my post, that's why I rather take btc for payment than paypal, easy way to scam or to get annoyed by customers that don't know what they are doing, in my personal case I only accept btc as payment, that way I avoid all the headcakes that a transaction might have, so I always advise to make transaction with customers in btc or cryptocurrency, and for buyers make sure your seller is a refer seller or has people that vouch for him/her, that way you can make sure it is a legit seller from trustworthy sources 
Cadito4545

Activity: 53

View Profile
October 30, 2019, 06:48:57 AM

In this case your account will be minus. If your transferred account has balance then paypal will deduct from there if from next hand then paypal will deduct from there. I mean paypal will deduct from the available fund on where the fund is available.
mian_usman

Activity: 6

View Profile
November 22, 2019, 09:26:12 AM

Right.. so true : a Friend once had check back issues after receiving cash through a bank transfer which he has rendered service.
Me and my co networks are very careful as to where payments are coming from.
it was a bad experience for him....
topshelfcrypto

Activity: 59
Merit: 21

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2019, 04:07:11 PM

Money sent through PayPal and any other money transfer service that accepts credit cards can be easily reversed by the sender, even after several weeks. Therefore, you should only accept PayPal in trades with people you trust very highly.

This is why newbies are not likely to sell their PayPal USD for bitcoins successfully.

- Most gift cards.
- Moneypak
- AlertPay
- Paysafecards
- Dwolla
- Western Union (they reportedly will sue the recipient to recover money in some cases)

Perhaps someone could be kind enough to explicitly mention what forms of payment ARE safe and likely to be accepted by traders here?

check my premium crypto domains for sale here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5211098
kotwica666
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1033

View Profile
December 05, 2019, 11:01:31 PM

- Most gift cards.
- Moneypak
- AlertPay
- Paysafecards
- Dwolla

Perhaps someone could be kind enough to explicitly mention what forms of payment ARE safe and likely to be accepted by traders here?

You are on Bitcoin forum and you ask about safe form of payment?  Grin
One of the main advantages of Bitcoin and many other cryptocurrency payments is that are non-reversable. Usually, several network confirmations are required to be sure. However, you are sure that such threats that you may encounter on the services listed by themos will never meet you with Bitcoin.

▐▀█▄██▌
      ███████
   ▀███████████▀
      ███████
       ▀███▀
     ▄████
    ▄█▀██▐███
   ▄█ ▐█▀  ███
  █▀  ███▀███
  █  ▐██▌ ██▌
  █   ▐██ ██
 ▄▄▄▀▀▀▐▄▄▌▄▄▄▄▄
▀█████████████████▀
.malubit.com.██████  ██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████  ██
██████  ██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████  ██
▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄██████▀▀▀▀██████▄
▄███▀▀▄▄▄████▄▄▄▀▀███▄
███▀▄██████  ██████▄▀███
███ ████████  ████████ ███
███ █████████  █████████ ███
███ █████████        ███ ███
███ ████████████████████ ███
███ ██████████████████ ███▀
▀███▄▀██████████████▀▄███▀
▀████▄▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄████▀
▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
██████  ██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████  ██
topshelfcrypto

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2019, 04:42:26 AM

You are on Bitcoin forum and you ask about safe form of payment?  Grin

Haha! That was funny.

One of the main advantages of Bitcoin and many other cryptocurrency payments is that are non-reversable. Usually, several network confirmations are required to be sure. However, you are sure that such threats that you may encounter on the services listed by themos will never meet you with Bitcoin.

Yes, I understand about that. I am just needing to buy bitcoin with fiat, and I prefer to buy peer-2-peer than through an exchange. Unfortunately I only have PayPal or CC right now, but I'm more than willing to shift money around to use another service or payment processor, if I knew which one. 

check my premium crypto domains for sale here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5211098
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2019, 09:04:52 AM

Yes, I understand about that. I am just needing to buy bitcoin with fiat, and I prefer to buy peer-2-peer than through an exchange. Unfortunately I only have PayPal or CC right now, but I'm more than willing to shift money around to use another service or payment processor, if I knew which one. 

PayPal is the way to go. It might be hard to find members to trade with around the forums though, especially that you're the one (as a jr member with no trust history) using the reversible payment method. If you don't mind using third party platforms then I suggest going with LBC, LocalCryptos or Paxful.

kotwica666
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1033

View Profile
December 07, 2019, 12:20:53 PM

PayPal is the way to go. It might be hard to find members to trade with around the forums though, especially that you're the one (as a jr member with no trust history) using the reversible payment method. If you don't mind using third party platforms then I suggest going with LBC, LocalCryptos or Paxful.

To be honest, I would not recommend Paxful. There are many accounts for sale on the market and because of that there are many scams there. As in the topic of this thread, I also advise against PayPal - I was once scammed myself.

I think Localbitcoin.com may be the best solution, or just register on some trusted exchange like Coinbase. Of course, I do not recommend keeping funds there, but in my opinion, it is at the moment the safest place to buy/sell BTC online.

▐▀█▄██▌
      ███████
   ▀███████████▀
      ███████
       ▀███▀
     ▄████
    ▄█▀██▐███
   ▄█ ▐█▀  ███
  █▀  ███▀███
  █  ▐██▌ ██▌
  █   ▐██ ██
 ▄▄▄▀▀▀▐▄▄▌▄▄▄▄▄
▀█████████████████▀
.malubit.com.██████  ██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████  ██
██████  ██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████  ██
▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄██████▀▀▀▀██████▄
▄███▀▀▄▄▄████▄▄▄▀▀███▄
███▀▄██████  ██████▄▀███
███ ████████  ████████ ███
███ █████████  █████████ ███
███ █████████        ███ ███
███ ████████████████████ ███
███ ██████████████████ ███▀
▀███▄▀██████████████▀▄███▀
▀████▄▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄████▀
▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
██████  ██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████  ██
topshelfcrypto

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2019, 04:45:30 PM

To be honest, I would not recommend Paxful. There are many accounts for sale on the market and because of that there are many scams there. As in the topic of this thread, I also advise against PayPal - I was once scammed myself.

I think Localbitcoin.com may be the best solution, or just register on some trusted exchange like Coinbase. Of course, I do not recommend keeping funds there, but in my opinion, it is at the moment the safest place to buy/sell BTC online.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't believe in complying with KYC since I believe it defeats the purpose of why bitcoin was invented, which is why I won't go through an exchange that has been captured by regulators (centralized)

OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2019, 05:39:31 PM

You can be safe from account sellers by simply checking the trust history of the user. If he didn't have any recent feedback left on his profile, then you probably shouldn't trade with him.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't believe in complying with KYC since I believe it defeats the purpose of why bitcoin was invented, which is why I won't go through an exchange that has been captured by regulators (centralized)

IIRC, KYC is only obligatory in LBC. LocalCryptos is KYC-free and with Paxful, you can trade up to 1500$ until you're asked to verify your identity.

Also, since you're willing to use another payment method if needed, then I suggest giving PerfectMoney a try, according to their FAQ, the payments are final and irreversible.

mr.relax

Activity: 1206
Merit: 610

View Profile
December 09, 2019, 06:15:26 PM
Last edit: December 09, 2019, 06:29:08 PM by mr.relax
Merited by OmegaStarScream (1)

Bitcoin is a Peer2Peer Cash replacement.
So Cash is the payment method of choice.

There are only few other non-reversible methods.

The one I know are OKpay, Perfectmoney and more or less WesternUnion and Moneygram, if funded with cash and paid out already!
SEPA is also nonreversible, but used a lot in scams, so you dont have to pay back if there was a hacked bank account used,
but you will get trouble with the law, if you are the one that received stolen funds.

But take care with perfectmoney. It would not be the first russian Paymentprovider that ran with all funds and its expensive by fees.

Best is, was and will be cash or physical goods like gold!
Be creative, accept gems,antique furniture, real estate, second hand cars,artwork or collectors items.

Never ever accept Paypal/Skrill/Neteller if you dont know your tradepartner VERY well.
Otherwise you will loose your money and additional Paypal/Skrill/Neteller might kick and ban you forever. Not maybe you will loose, but 100% sure.

gentleman2019

Activity: 20
Merit: 20

View Profile
December 19, 2019, 06:53:33 PM

I read most of this thread. Will be avoiding Paypal for selling.

Is at least Buying only from someone using Paypal safe? Or is there a chance of getting scammed there as well?
mr.relax

View Profile
December 20, 2019, 07:16:20 AM

Yes paying with pp is ok. But who accepts that?
In most cases you have to verify yourself and get a very poor rate.
Better is to cash out PP to the bankaccount and buy BTC with sepa/swift or with cash.

Chances to get scammed are always existing.
Dont go first with pp-payment and think you could reverse it easily if seller does not send coins.
In some cases you cannot reverse PP easily!
NEVER EVER allow someone to teamview your computer to check if the origin of your PP-funds are OK!

So use standard security cautions, like safe escrow.

OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2019, 07:25:17 AM
Last edit: December 20, 2019, 07:55:56 AM by OmegaStarScream

An escrow won't be of too much help here since PayPal is reversible. It only helps if neither of the buyer/seller want to go first but there will still be a risk of a chargeback afterwards.

It might make sense from the buyer's side, but there is also no reason for the seller to agree to that since the risks are known.

mr.relax

View Profile
December 20, 2019, 07:41:33 AM

Yes, but the question was: Is it safe to PAY with PP.
Yes from the side of the payer it is. If someone accepts it, but in that case an Escrow makes great sense!

Is it safe to receive PP for coins or any goods?
NO.

terrate

Activity: 358
Merit: 100

Newbie in online currency , love learning

View Profile
February 23, 2020, 06:58:23 AM

Yes, but the question was: Is it safe to PAY with PP.
Yes from the side of the payer it is. If someone accepts it, but in that case an Escrow makes great sense!

Is it safe to receive PP for coins or any goods?
NO.

Buyer can use paypal not issue, But seller better not use paypal , especially sell service and e-book one.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.