Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:39:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 »
  Print  
Author Topic: - AURORACOIN -  (Read 136765 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
BioMike
Legendary

Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 08:43:54 AM

Version 5.3 is the correct version and the default Berkeley DB in most Linux distros.

It should be possible to run both versions on a system (to also run other wallets), but you might need to use the configure option (see ./configure --help) to point to the correct version, although it should be able to find the correct version by itself.
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dinobotta

Activity: 248
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 10:01:12 AM

The Central bank of Iceland just issued a paper and put together a work group on financial infrastructure and digitization of the Icelandic krona, sorry it's in Icelandic: https://www.sedlabanki.is/library/Skraarsafn/Fjarmalainnvidir/Fjarmalainnvidir_%202017_7juni.pdf

On of the Icelandic papers follows this and explains that the Central bank is contemplating if they should issue the Icelandic krona as a crypto or not... https://kjarninn.is/frettir/2017-06-07-starfshopur-stofnadur-um-utgafu-rafraens-reidufjar/

Anyway, this is interesting development.

"Lost coins only make everyone else’s coins worth slightly more. Think of it as a donation to everyone". Satoshi Nakamoto
ontopicplease

Activity: 778
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 01:27:33 PM

Hi guys,
Not much news spreaded around here last 12 months, are we dying slowly?
ny2cafuse
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

HODL for life.

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 02:34:10 PM

Hi guys,

To be transparent, things are slow going on our end right now.  Everyone is pretty busy with life at the moment.  2 members of the team are building houses(myself being one), one is doing a lot of freelance work which keeps him away from steady development during the week, and we're trying to connect when we can connect to get things done, though.

We're currently working on a merchant only version of the Android app, and some merchant friendly tweaks need to be made to that.  We've purchased tablets to provide to merchants as an AUR POS system, and we're testing that out and getting documentation ready for a push to get more merchants onboard.  A lot of the efforts right now are grass roots word of mouth by team members in Iceland.  The blockchain is functioning properly right now, and for the most part the price has been relatively stable, so technical developments are on the back burner in favor of code cleanup and maintenance.

We're also talking about revamping our server structure.  Currently, different members of the team run the various servers that are used for the blockchain.  We're looking to consolidate servers to one hosting provider(with multiple hosting locations), so that we can all maintain all the servers instead of individually maintaining our own servers.  I know that's common sense, but we just all spun up servers as needed until now.  Organizational structure is kind of the easiest solution to tackle at the moment without the need to get the entire team involved.  This process will most likely happen gradually over the next couple months.  We will also be discussing the maintenance fee upkeep for these servers, as the individual team members have been fronting the costs for the last 2 years.  This may or may not be paid out with the M1 funds going forward, but we have yet to formally discuss this in a proper meeting.  If we do decide to go this route with the funding, the community will be notified and made aware of our intentions.

I can report that there have been a considerable amount of Android app installs in the last couple months.  There have also been a number of uninstalls, but that is expected.

We'll keep everyone posted when we have news.  I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Fuse

Community > Devs
Telepo

Activity: 128

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 03:23:33 PM

Thank you for the help. However, can someone from the dev team confirm the documentation is wrong? I really wouldn't want to mess up my system installing other versions of the db because all other wallets want 4.8 for compatibility reasons.

nothing special to call for devs, just read this:
https://github.com/aurarad/Auroracoin/releases/tag/2016.08.1.0

yes, it's a good notice for me . I will use this wallet and buy more cheap coins as many as possible.

Minexcoin — A new era of payments ||ICO ||DISCUSSION
Oblivion

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 06:49:24 PM

We're currently working on a merchant only version of the Android app, and some merchant friendly tweaks need to be made to that.  We've purchased tablets to provide to merchants as an AUR POS system, and we're testing that out and getting documentation ready for a push to get more merchants onboard.  A lot of the efforts right now are grass roots word of mouth by team members in Iceland.  The blockchain is functioning properly right now, and for the most part the price has been relatively stable, so technical developments are on the back burner in favor of code cleanup and maintenance.

Getting the word out to merchants should be one of the top priorities in my opinion. Being able to use it as a viable medium of exchange and having merchants passively promoting it is a great way to getting the word out to the population of Iceland.

As soon as the POS system is ready I would happily volunteer to fly over to Iceland and talk to the merchants personally. Being a bit rusty on speaking Icelandic though but heard that most people speak English.
I think a hands on approach would be the way to get the fastest results.

Keep up the good work!

Oblivion

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 07:03:23 PM

Also something that might be a great way to get the Icelandic population engaged is to load up a paper wallet with let's say 5K-10K AUR, cutting up the private key into 10 snippets and distributing them in Reykjavik.
That way it would be a quest to gather the snippets via puzzles and/or hints. The first to correctly solve the puzzles/hints along the way gets the prize.

I am sure the reward would be substantial enough to get media mentions via radio, news websites and newspapers. Also it would engage the population as the reward would be substantial.
Also would be happy to donate to it and contribute to a challenging enough quest.

In my opinion, Auroracoin has a great future ahead, but must be adopted as soon and as widely as possible.
ontopicplease

Activity: 778
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 08:34:58 PM

Hi guys,

To be transparent, things are slow going on our end right now.  Everyone is pretty busy with life at the moment.  2 members of the team are building houses(myself being one), one is doing a lot of freelance work which keeps him away from steady development during the week, and we're trying to connect when we can connect to get things done, though.

We're currently working on a merchant only version of the Android app, and some merchant friendly tweaks need to be made to that.  We've purchased tablets to provide to merchants as an AUR POS system, and we're testing that out and getting documentation ready for a push to get more merchants onboard.  A lot of the efforts right now are grass roots word of mouth by team members in Iceland.  The blockchain is functioning properly right now, and for the most part the price has been relatively stable, so technical developments are on the back burner in favor of code cleanup and maintenance.

We're also talking about revamping our server structure.  Currently, different members of the team run the various servers that are used for the blockchain.  We're looking to consolidate servers to one hosting provider(with multiple hosting locations), so that we can all maintain all the servers instead of individually maintaining our own servers.  I know that's common sense, but we just all spun up servers as needed until now.  Organizational structure is kind of the easiest solution to tackle at the moment without the need to get the entire team involved.  This process will most likely happen gradually over the next couple months.  We will also be discussing the maintenance fee upkeep for these servers, as the individual team members have been fronting the costs for the last 2 years.  This may or may not be paid out with the M1 funds going forward, but we have yet to formally discuss this in a proper meeting.  If we do decide to go this route with the funding, the community will be notified and made aware of our intentions.

I can report that there have been a considerable amount of Android app installs in the last couple months.  There have also been a number of uninstalls, but that is expected.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/9aNDbmy.png[/img
We'll keep everyone posted when we have news.  I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Fuse

Thanks a lot for the extensive update
Trukkur

Activity: 56
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 10:41:35 PM

Auroracoin going POS?
Fragbait

Activity: 205

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 10:44:19 PM

Auroracoin going POS?

Point of sale
joao1973

Activity: 83

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 06:25:38 PM

When is the application for android ready?
BioMike
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 07:15:27 PM

When is the application for android ready?

It already is: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.auroracoin.is
Oblivion

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 09:32:58 AM

On behalf of all the South Africans that own auroracoin (or the dozen that i know) i want to say thank you to the developmnent team for bringing us this far. The android app is great and the exchange is a miracle. Your work is done in my opinion, Auroracoin has everything it needs to succeed.

Adoption in iceland is visible however slow. more importantly Auroracoin is attracting foreign direct investment and this continuing trend is going to keep building incentive for Icelanders to buy. The more Icelanders buy, the more foreigners do to and so a positive feed back loop is continuously fueling auroracoin to inevitable adoption.

Eventually, with the assumption that Auroracoin gets adopted as Icelands national currency, people around the world will be inspired by the miracle that is Auroracoin and start buying it as a symbol of the revolution.

Thats what auroracoin is to me. A symbol of the revolution against financial oppression. Better than bitcoin because of its feed back loop with iceland.

I agree! This coin has lots of potential, however adoption is key. To get adoption going people need to get familiar with Auroracoin. I have given a suggestion how to get exposure, and will think of a couple more ways to increase awareness. And I'd be happy to donate and contribute to such projects. Let's get this thing going people!
joao1973

Activity: 83

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 04:22:54 PM

Thanks for the information, it is interesting to have the application for the mobile.
BioMike
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 08:48:08 PM

To all Auroracoin Coinomi users:

Coinomi is going to drop Auroracoin from their wallet. Backup the passphrase that generates your keys. You can use this passphrase in the Auroracoin Android wallet to access your funds again.
BioMike
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 08:22:27 AM

There is no problem foreigners holding AUR.

As for the price : http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/auroracoin/#markets . Value in Iceland is comparable to BTC (international)

That having said, the following:

The amount of coins is pretty limited compared to other coins, and if a lot of international speculators would jump in the price would increase a lot (think when AUR was just released), but market acceptance would break to a halt (people would not spend the coins any more, this has been observed in an external experiment recently when AUR increased a lot during the last rally). Both HODLing and PnD actions (even if the dump does not result in going back to previous levels) are highly toxic to market acceptance in terms of market value perception.

Price has to go up, but with the use of market makers (anyone international can do this on the exchanges BTC/LTC/DOGE exchanges) that provide liquidity for merchants to sell into and users to buy from.
dinobotta

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 10:49:50 AM

Regarding adoption in Iceland.

I think the price is a key factor to drive interest in Auroracoin and draw in more people. As sad as it is people get interested in Auroracoin and buy when the price starts moving, not when nothing is happening and the price flat lines.

Always when we have seen the price jump up for whatever reason, we see increase in new registrations on isx.is and new users start buying. I think it is a combination of greed and hope that drives people when something is happening, but also people start talking about it and the news spreads from one person to the next.

For adoption to take place I think Auroracoin has to have much higher value. Imagine the people who hold the initial 31.8 Auroracoins from the Airdrop, valued today at 2226 ISK or $22. These people have forgotten about it and they will not be looking to use Auroracoin where they can at maximum buy 4x cups of coffee for their share. At the same time not many merchants will start accepting Auroracoin given that only a handful of people will come to buy 4x cups of coffee or something of equal value.

For the 30K people that initially claimed Auroracoin the price has to 10x or more for them to start looking for their old Auroracoin wallets. Even if they have lost their Auroracoins an increase in price will get them interested again even if they have to buy in again. At the same time we will get press coverage from the Icelandic media if the price increases substantially, which will spark even further interest.

Same will happen with merchant adoption, if the price becomes substantial every merchant will want to get some and accept Auroracoin.

The trouble is that this is a chicken and the egg problem. Adoption will become reality with ever increasing price, but who will buy in and increase the value before adoption has taken place?

"Lost coins only make everyone else’s coins worth slightly more. Think of it as a donation to everyone". Satoshi Nakamoto
BioMike
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 04:26:30 PM

In that case we have a different view of where AUR should have its place. Our view is mostly for the internal domestic market (where also ISK has its role). The only role where it might have is in the export market, where we hope AUR moves back into Iceland and in cases with tourists visiting Iceland. For large in/export markets it's IMHO just not logical to use AUR. That would be a place for BTC or LTC to shine (to replace USD playments).
dinobotta

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 10:41:08 AM

Just to put this matter to rest.

The dev team and the Auroracoin Foundation only has a focus on Icelandic adoption and will not be putting any energy into trying get usage in the global economy. There are other coins for that!

Of course anyone in the world can use/buy/sell Auroracoin for whatever reason, it's just not the focus of this project to become a global currency. I will welcome anyone that wants to use Auroracoin for whatever they want to, but hopefully that trade will end with one leg in Iceland.

Nixzor

Activity: 203

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2017, 12:51:05 AM

It would be nice if OP would update the first post with Alcurex echange too, since it is traded there too:
https://alcurex.com/#AUR-BTC

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 »
  Print  

Jump to: