News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you believe in god?
Yes - 362 (65.9%)
No - 139 (25.3%)
Other - 48 (8.7%)
Total Voters: 549

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... 189 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you believe in god?  (Read 315971 times)
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 1373

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 12:46:38 AM

What do you not understand about fossils that are older than 6000 years  Cheesy

Why do you believe God wrote the Bible?
Because someone told you so?

Well, we're telling you otherwise  Cheesy

Here's a reasonable answer to that. God made it to appear older to us even tho is not to test our faith in him.

The furthest we can go back with any certainty is 4,500 years. The rest is guesswork. You will see this when you delve into what the basic archaeologists say. Everything that is not archaeology - like astronomy, meteors, geology - is based in theory. It is not known to be fact. the best we have is the Bible record.

God directed the writing of the Bible because, it could not come into being without god directing it. Check into the history of how the Bible came into being, and you will see that the whole operation of its being written could not have happened according to the laws of probability.

Do the research first, before you make up your mind decisively. It is important to your salvation.

Cool

So counting of tree rings to 9700+ does not count?

No because back in the olden days trees grew five rings a year. LOL

Christians just make shit up as they go along.

I became silent within and meditated on the subject and pressing question of the tree rings and then I had a revelation that came to me from the Lord of the Tree Rings. Wanna know what He whispered in my ear? (He said it's OK I can share the secret - it'll be out anyways soon enough) - ONLY ONE RING PER YEAR   He had divinely ordained this to be an Infallible Universal Constant. There you have it.  Cheesy

We can stop worrying now, the lord of the rings has spoken. ROFL

I think it is in the Bible: Leviticus 20:13

"If a man puts one ring on his trunk and lies with a male as with a woman once per year, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them."

It is of course up to interpretation...Some Christian and Muslim scholars think "it really means that trees add one ring per year, and it is ok to cut trees during full moon (as aligned with the menstrual cycle of your female slaves)"

But when in doubt, you have to consult with BADecker, he is an in-house guru on Bible interpretations and has broad Bronze Age knowledge in general.

That's because BADecker is from the Bronze Age. I have a theory about that.

Doctor Who went back to the Bronze Age chasing Daleks and used the chameleon circuit in the Tardis to make it look like a preteen girl. BADecker walked by the Tardis. While he was attempting to rape the girl (which was actually the Tardis) to give her an immaculate conception he fell in the Tardis and was transported to our time by accident.

Not really understanding anything about modern society, BADecker was placed in a mental institution after he was caught helping a couple of 60 year old gray haired catholic priests rape some teenaged boys. The hospital he resides in has a computer therapy program that allows him to access this forum where he continues to rape by buggering the logic and reasoning out of the brains of forum members.

Edit: Dr Who fans will know what I'm talking about.

Make sense.  His initials start with BA (Bronze Age).  Just like Black & Decker.  He knows all the about Bronze Age tools, hence the name: BADecker.

And the "Decker" part stands for the 3 decks on Noah's ark.    Cool

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CoinCube
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1055

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 01:34:05 AM

So god give us the 10 commandments so why did he hurt Jesus his own son?..

Very short 2.33 minute video clip.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6NPq_kPSUM

21st century thinking..Learn something..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jph2qWXJ-Tk

If you wish answers to questions of Christian theology you will need to seek them from someone more knowledgeable on that topic then I.

However, in regards to the Star Trek episode reason alone is an inadequate tool when it comes to morality because evil is often rational.FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE Grin..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryA8PafooQ4

Your watching videos of a nutcase Wink..

I will take your obvious sarcasm here as an acceptance of the logic presented.

CoinCube
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 08:06:33 AM

God Or Moral Nihilism
https://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/4871

Quote from: Richard Cocks

Who needs God? Morality is a social construction

If morality is a social construction, then morality does not exist. Just because we call some things ‘good’ and others ‘evil’ doesn’t mean that good and evil refer to anything.
If morality doesn’t exist for real, then neither can morality be a useful fiction. Something can only be useful (have extrinsic value) if the thing that it is useful for is actually valuable i.e., intrinsically valuable. If we say that the false belief in morality makes us happy and is therefore good, we are introducing a moral category again; the notion that anything that makes human beings happy is good and anything that makes us unhappy is bad. We arrive at the morally good and bad once again.

All people who think that morality is a social construction and is good/useful, have reintroduced moral realism; the notion that good and evil actually exist. This is a contradiction and therefore cannot be true. You cannot believe that morality is merely a social construction and in moral realism.

If you claim to believe that morality is a social construction, then you are a moral nihilist. All us adults know that Father Christmas doesn’t really exist and you’re effectively claiming that morality doesn’t either.

The Argument from Religion - A Transcendental Argument

Morality can’t be found from a scientific examination of nature. So if morality is not in nature it must be beyond nature – the supernatural.

Where does value come from? It’s not found in the world reduced to scientific facts. Nonetheless, it’s found in the world as we actually experience it. We find value in all sorts of things. We value our friendships, and hopefully at least some of our family members. We value certain books, films, projects, beautiful days, ‘nature,’ and music. So value exists. We experience it. A transcendental argument asks – what must the world be like for this experience to be possible? There must be more to the world than scientific facts. The value of the world that we discover must have its basis in something else.
Morality is invisible to science because science cannot see value. Anything invisible to science must either not exist at all, or it must be nonphysical. Our name for the nonphysical aspects of reality is the spiritual, i.e., the divine, transcendent, God.
There is remarkable agreement among those at the higher reaches of many world religions. High level Buddhists, Catholic monks, Kabbalists, Sufis, all describe ultimate reality in similar terms and much of what they say can be summed up in the cliché, ‘all is one.’

If all is one, then my treating you badly is really treating myself badly.
God or Moral Nihilism

Your choices are God or moral nihilism. Social constructionism and Darwinian evolutionary theory can only allow you to say that we think and act like morality exists, not that morality does exist. Social construction and Darwinism certainly have nothing to say about the truth of morality. In fact, they suppose the opposite. In the first case, we just made it up, like Father Christmas. That’s called moral nihilism. The second case, Darwinians might try to say that morality is useful in promoting survival, but since they cannot establish that surviving has any intrinsic value, they cannot logically point to the extrinsic value of morality. Nothing has extrinsic value if nothing has intrinsic value and since the existence of intrinsic value is precisely what needs explaining in morality, Darwin and his followers have nothing interesting to say on the topic.

If you choose moral nihilism, just remember what you are choosing...If moral nihilism is true, then your life has no value and neither does anybody else’s.

The torturer will be right to start removing your fingers. Why? Because it’s fun and you can have nothing to say on the subject...The fact that you don’t want to die is only relevant if morality exists and morality requires another person to respect your wishes and desires. If you claim that your wishes and desires are nonetheless important, then you will be unable to say why my wishes and desires are not important too...we can go back to gassing the Jews, human sacrifice, and seeing how loud we can get torture victims to scream and any other psychotic things you can think of. If you must respect my wishes and desires, then you are behaving morally. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 01:14:50 PM

God Or Moral Nihilism

If morality is a social construction, then morality does not exist. Just because we call some things ‘good’ and others ‘evil’ doesn’t mean that good and evil refer to anything.
If morality doesn’t exist for real, then neither can morality be a useful fiction. Something can only be useful (have extrinsic value) if the thing that it is useful for is actually valuable i.e., intrinsically valuable. If we say that the false belief in morality makes us happy and is therefore good, we are introducing a moral category again; the notion that anything that makes human beings happy is good and anything that makes us unhappy is bad. We arrive at the morally good and bad once again.

All people who think that morality is a social construction and is good/useful, have reintroduced moral realism; the notion that good and evil actually exist. This is a contradiction and therefore cannot be true. You cannot believe that morality is merely a social construction and in moral realism.

If you claim to believe that morality is a social construction, then you are a moral nihilist. All us adults know that Father Christmas doesn’t really exist and you’re effectively claiming that morality doesn’t either.

Morality can’t be found from a scientific examination of nature. So if morality is not in nature it must be beyond nature – the supernatural.

Where does value come from? It’s not found in the world reduced to scientific facts. Nonetheless, it’s found in the world as we actually experience it. We find value in all sorts of things. We value our friendships, and hopefully at least some of our family members. We value certain books, films, projects, beautiful days, ‘nature,’ and music. So value exists. We experience it. A transcendental argument asks – what must the world be like for this experience to be possible? There must be more to the world than scientific facts. The value of the world that we discover must have its basis in something else.
Morality is invisible to science because science cannot see value. Anything invisible to science must either not exist at all, or it must be nonphysical. Our name for the nonphysical aspects of reality is the spiritual, i.e., the divine, transcendent, God.
There is remarkable agreement among those at the higher reaches of many world religions. High level Buddhists, Catholic monks, Kabbalists, Sufis, all describe ultimate reality in similar terms and much of what they say can be summed up in the cliché, ‘all is one.’

God or Moral Nihilism

Your choices are God or moral nihilism. Social constructionism and Darwinian evolutionary theory can only allow you to say that we think and act like morality exists, not that morality does exist. Social construction and Darwinism certainly have nothing to say about the truth of morality. In fact, they suppose the opposite. In the first case, we just made it up, like Father Christmas. That’s called moral nihilism. The second case, Darwinians might try to say that morality is useful in promoting survival, but since they cannot establish that surviving has any intrinsic value, they cannot logically point to the extrinsic value of morality. Nothing has extrinsic value if nothing has intrinsic value and since the existence of intrinsic value is precisely what needs explaining in morality, Darwin and his followers have nothing interesting to say on the topic.

If you choose moral nihilism, just remember what you are choosing...If moral nihilism is true, then your life has no value and neither does anybody else’s.

The torturer will be right to start removing your fingers. Why? Because it’s fun and you can have nothing to say on the subject...The fact that you don’t want to die is only relevant if morality exists and morality requires another person to respect your wishes and desires. If you claim that your wishes and desires are nonetheless important, then you will be unable to say why my wishes and desires are not important too...we can go back to gassing the Jews, human sacrifice, and seeing how loud we can get torture victims to scream and any other psychotic things you can think of. If you must respect my wishes and desires, then you are behaving morally. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Of course, morality is something that is chemically built into every person. It has been handed down, parents to children, since the Beginning. God invented it. It has to do with our ability to live in the universe.

The interesting thing is that it may be attached to the soul and spirit in ways that are non-physical, as well.

Cool

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
Aikonio

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 05:02:37 PM

What does God do? You yourself say that in your head morals have invested your parents. There are parents who invest in the head by his other principles. So they made another God? Just there is no God, therefore all people are different.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 05:06:38 PM

God Or Moral Nihilism

God or Moral Nihilism

Of course, morality is something that is chemically built into every person. It has been handed down, parents to children, since the Beginning. God invented it. It has to do with our ability to live in the universe.

The interesting thing is that it may be attached to the soul and spirit in ways that are non-physical, as well.

Cool

When you're, you're right. I got an idea, let's go beat up some fags and burn a few niggers on crosses after church today.

popcorn1
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1027

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 05:32:51 PM

God Or Moral Nihilism

God or Moral Nihilism

Please send the men in white coats for this dude Cheesy Cheesy..
You have lost the plot Grin.
What the smartest man 100 years ago knew is nothing to what a 12 year old child knows now Grin..
SO GROW UP NUTTER  Wink
Aikonio

Activity: 193

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 05:36:44 PM

Trump has provoked in America, a new wave of racial struggle. This could provoke a civil war in America. I am sure that Russia will use the opportunity to provoke internal conflicts to weaken America.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 05:59:54 PM

Trump has provoked in America, a new wave of racial struggle. This could provoke a civil war in America. I am sure that Russia will use the opportunity to provoke internal conflicts to weaken America.

We can only hope. America today is slipping so far down the totalitarian slope that it's downfall is no longer frightening to me.

The bill of rights are toast. Obama signed a "no free speech" bill killing the first amendment. The patriot act allows anyone to be jailed forever without trial if the arresting LEO says the magic words, "you're a terrorist" killing the fifth, sixth, eighth and fourteenth amendments.

8,000 Arab and South Asian immigrants have been interrogated because of their religion or ethnic background, not because of actual wrongdoing.

Thousands of men, mostly of Arab and South Asian origin, have been held in secretive federal custody for weeks and months, sometimes without any charges filed against them. The government has refused to publish their names and whereabouts, even when ordered to do so by the courts.

The press and the public have been barred from immigration court hearings of those detained after September 11th and the courts are ordered to keep secret even that the hearings are taking place.

The government is allowed to monitor communications between federal detainees and their lawyers, destroying the attorney- client privilege and threatening the right to counsel.

New Attorney General Guidelines allow FBI spying on religious and political organizations and individuals without having evidence of wrongdoing.

President Bush has ordered military commissions to be set up to try suspected terrorists who are not citizens. They can convict based on hearsay and secret evidence by only two-thirds vote.

American citizens suspected of terrorism are being held indefinitely in military custody without being charged and without access.

America goes away? Meh, no big deal because it's gone already.

beafheart

Activity: 197

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 07:09:58 PM

We can only hope. America today is slipping so far down the totalitarian slope that it's downfall is no longer frightening to me.

The bill of rights are toast. Obama signed a "no free speech" bill killing the first amendment. The patriot act allows anyone to be jailed forever without trial if the arresting LEO says the magic words, "you're a terrorist" killing the fifth, sixth, eighth and fourteenth amendments.

8,000 Arab and South Asian immigrants have been interrogated because of their religion or ethnic background, not because of actual wrongdoing.

Thousands of men, mostly of Arab and South Asian origin, have been held in secretive federal custody for weeks and months, sometimes without any charges filed against them. The government has refused to publish their names and whereabouts, even when ordered to do so by the courts.

The press and the public have been barred from immigration court hearings of those detained after September 11th and the courts are ordered to keep secret even that the hearings are taking place.

The government is allowed to monitor communications between federal detainees and their lawyers, destroying the attorney- client privilege and threatening the right to counsel.

New Attorney General Guidelines allow FBI spying on religious and political organizations and individuals without having evidence of wrongdoing.

President Bush has ordered military commissions to be set up to try suspected terrorists who are not citizens. They can convict based on hearsay and secret evidence by only two-thirds vote.

American citizens suspected of terrorism are being held indefinitely in military custody without being charged and without access.

America goes away? Meh, no big deal because it's gone already.
Poor is not something that America goes. Bad that there is a large redistribution of spheres of influence in the world. It does not promise anything good. I don't remember who said that there is nothing worse than to live in an era of change. I agree with him.
CoinCube
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 08:12:11 PM

Please send the men in white coats for this dude Cheesy Cheesy..
You have lost the plot Grin.
What the smartest man 100 years ago knew is nothing to what a 12 year old child knows now Grin..
SO GROW UP NUTTER  Wink

You know this thread reminds me of the Flat Earth thread over in the off topic section. Lots of pictures, lots of insults, and an utter disinterest in rationality if it challenges preconceived notions.

The depth of your argument popcorn1 tells me that you are either unwilling or unable to cognativally digest complex challenges to your world view.

We know that pre-rational people exist. Pre-rational people, as I’m defining it, are concrete operational or worse. (Worse would be preoperational/magical and sensorimotor/archaic).
The rational person can try to explain how things look to the pre-rational. They will not succeed. Either you can see the validity of a logical argument, or you cannot. If I say if p, then q, p, therefore q and you say ‘no it’s not,’ all I can do is stare at you.

stats

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 07, 2017, 04:44:48 AM

Which supposedly housed the entire animal/bird/reptile/insect and other creature on Earth.

Those poor little Penguin's walking all that way...... somehow I don't believe that story!
BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2017, 05:05:55 AM

Which supposedly housed the entire animal/bird/reptile/insect and other creature on Earth.

Those poor little Penguin's walking all that way...... somehow I don't believe that story!

That's okay. Gobekli Tepe, and the Pyramids, and all kinds of archaeological sites that are coming into focus, show that the ancient world was not the way modern archaeology has described it for us. They were way ahead of where we think they were, and in some ways, even ahead of us.

The start for understanding this, is the fact that our modern BIG ships - destroyers and battleships and aircraft carriers - are based on the design that God gave Noah. From there we have streamlined the design somewhat. But Noah's basic design is the general best.

Since people back then knew about the best ship design, they certainly had methods for handling animals, and maybe even had zoos. Noah had 120 years to make the ark and add the animals to it. It wasn't something that happened in a few months, or even a few years.

If you think that Noah didn't live for the hundreds of years attributed to him, consider that we are in devolution, not evolution. How can we tell? The fossil record shows that there were as many as 2 or 3 times the different species in the past. Many, many have died out. And there is concern that they are still dying our, today. Devolution is the mode, and entropy is playing its part in this.

Cool

Kevinde

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2017, 05:23:31 AM

Yes, I do. I always believe in God . I can not see God but I can feel this fact when I say prayer to God . After praying, I will be better and more peaceful with everything I can do. Thanks God because you are always with me in everytime and everywhere.
iamTom123

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 07, 2017, 05:40:31 AM

I do believe in the Creator because right now there are already so many evidences making the faith on evolution getting to be problematic. In fact, there are now some scientists who don't deny the possibility of a great Designer/Creator as the complexities of the DNA is crying for a great and intelligent source.

Now, those who don't believe are free not to. What I don't like is the fact that of many of the so-called atheists seems to be not comfortable living with those who don't yield to their unbelief as if they now think that they are the enlightened ones and they have a mission to convert the whole world to their new religion.

Atheism is a religion of no-religion and a faith of non-beliefs. We are all free here so let us just respect the things we hold dear.
dippididodaday

Activity: 441
Merit: 278

It's personal

View Profile
January 07, 2017, 09:20:09 AM
Last edit: January 07, 2017, 09:34:43 AM by dippididodaday

I disagree with the argument from religion and its transcendental argument. It is my belief that humans are intrinsically moral whilst they are at the same time completely natural. I reject a transcendental argument with its postulate of a non physical transcendence - this is a mere construct, a superfluous idea - without a direct basis in physical existence, which is what I believe is in fact the only existence that is, and reality and all it implies (see wiki for details) as well. The world is as it is in its natural state and this reality make morality possible. There is no other basis to have this moral value we find in humans. I name the nonphysical aspects of reality the emergent qualities of personhood. No need to interject metaphysical (imaginary) constructs here. We are indeed connected to each other in a network, but its all natural.

BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2017, 12:37:20 PM

I disagree with the argument from religion and its transcendental argument. It is my belief that humans are intrinsically moral whilst they are at the same time completely natural. I reject a transcendental argument with its postulate of a non physical transcendence - this is a mere construct, a superfluous idea - without a direct basis in physical existence, which is what I believe is in fact the only existence that is, and reality and all it implies (see wiki for details) as well. The world is as it is in its natural state and this reality make morality possible. There is no other basis to have this moral value we find in humans. I name the nonphysical aspects of reality the emergent qualities of personhood. No need to interject metaphysical (imaginary) constructs here. We are indeed connected to each other in a network, but its all natural.

There are others who would not agree with limited "modern" science in this regard - 15 minutes.

The Folly of Machine Consciousness (FULL) - Health Ranger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPzNAy84OBY

Cool

varyspro

Activity: 289

View Profile
January 07, 2017, 12:41:46 PM

Yes, I do. I always believe in God . I can not see God but I can feel this fact when I say prayer to God . After praying, I will be better and more peaceful with everything I can do. Thanks God because you are always with me in everytime and everywhere.
Many people who suffer from dementia also present themselves such as Napoleon and believe in it. This does not mean that he is the Emperor of the French. So faith in God. I think it's a kind of dementia.
BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2017, 12:52:21 PM

Many people who suffer from dementia also present themselves such as Napoleon and believe in it. This does not mean that he is the Emperor of the French. So faith in God. I think it's a kind of dementia.

However, once a person finds that God DOES exist, then lack of faith in God is shown to be the dementia.

Cool

Kvazimoda

Activity: 287

View Profile
January 07, 2017, 01:40:35 PM

However, once a person finds that God DOES exist, then lack of faith in God is shown to be the dementia.

Cool
Any belief should be supported by evidence that you are on the right track. In the case of dementia you will not believe that you are Napoleon. In this you'll believe only you. What makes you believe in God? This is not supported by any evidence?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... 189 »
  Print  

Jump to: