Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 03:29:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] QRL - Announcing the Quantum Resistant Ledger  (Read 186295 times)
Dezeyay

Activity: 57
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 05:25:48 PM

The discussion on protection from a quantum computer at the moment is very interesting. As I understand it is still necessary to solve a lot of problems. Even if a solution is created to protect against a quantum computer for a Btc network, users will first have to transfer their coins to another Blockchain using their private key, and then either deactivate this key or transfer their coins again to a new address. For most people this problem is not quite clear at the moment, but soon everything will change.

I read Bitcoin has about 25% of the circulating supply sitting in lost addresses. So nobody will be transferring those coins to quantum proof addresses after a fork. That much coins for grabs, it's end of story for Bitcoin.
The big boys in blockchain don't want people to know the problem, because it also pretty much ends their projects. But the truth will come out eventually and this info will be mainstream.
uncleduckerr

Activity: 202
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 10:55:08 PM

The discussion on protection from a quantum computer at the moment is very interesting. As I understand it is still necessary to solve a lot of problems. Even if a solution is created to protect against a quantum computer for a Btc network, users will first have to transfer their coins to another Blockchain using their private key, and then either deactivate this key or transfer their coins again to a new address. For most people this problem is not quite clear at the moment, but soon everything will change.

I read Bitcoin has about 25% of the circulating supply sitting in lost addresses. So nobody will be transferring those coins to quantum proof addresses after a fork. That much coins for grabs, it's end of story for Bitcoin.
The big boys in blockchain don't want people to know the problem, because it also pretty much ends their projects. But the truth will come out eventually and this info will be mainstream.

Wow that is a lot of coins but do you really think that will be the end of Bitcoin? I mean there are tons of better theories to be the one to end Bitcoin I can't see that being it and I am sure they could come up with a problem to go around that. Otherwise what we are going to say the circulating supply of Bitcoin goes from 21 million to 15-16 million overnight? That would be a crazy jump to make if it happens.

cau

Activity: 156

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 01:16:00 AM

Do you know if anonymity/privacy will be included in QRL or will it be similar to BitCoin in that regard?! That is to say, not fully anonymous but not easily traceable either?
I think privacy and identity protection is an important point right now within cryptos and I wondered if QRL has a platform to build on this?!

I guess the decision on taking "smart contract route" or "privacy route" are yet to be taken. Privacy is a good option though, but my vote goes to smart contract, as it will give birth to lot of QR projects.

Going by their road map, 2018 they have planned for feasibility study on implementing smart contract feature...!
WilderX

Activity: 597
Merit: 504

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 02:34:07 AM
Last edit: December 19, 2017, 02:49:30 AM by WilderX

Monday's $QRL Update:
- Dilithium integration begins
- filled in answers in Quora regarding QRL
- moved Wallet and Explorer to http://theqrl.org  domain (http://wallet.theqrl.org , http://explorer.theqrl.org )
#Cryptocurrency #Update #Blockchain #DevUpdate #QRL

https://futurism.com/physicists-invented-essential-component-needed-quantum-computers/

In a collaboration with Stanford University in the US, a team of scientists from the University of Sydney and Microsoft have used the newly found phase of matter – topological insulator – in shrinking an electrical component called a circulator 1,000 times smaller.

That’s super good news when it comes to squeezing more qubits into a small enough space.

Dezeyay

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 08:21:18 AM

Wow that is a lot of coins but do you really think that will be the end of Bitcoin? I mean there are tons of better theories to be the one to end Bitcoin I can't see that being it and I am sure they could come up with a problem to go around that. Otherwise what we are going to say the circulating supply of Bitcoin goes from 21 million to 15-16 million overnight? That would be a crazy jump to make if it happens.

Bitcoin is so huge right now, nobody can believe it will end one day. But blockchains biggest strengths, are also it's biggest weaknesses.
1. Only being able to change by consensus. It's great because nobody can mess with your money. But it's a hussle if you need to improve your blockchain.
You see how hard it is for Bitcoin to implement changes like segwit2. Very necessary, but still not there. Everyone wants the same, a better Bitcoin, but they can't agree on how they want to do that.
They have a lot of things that need improvement because competition is huge and will take over the market. ETH has more transactions than BTC now. The price will very likely close in afterwards.
All these things need improvement:
- Transactionspeed
- Transaction costs
- The huge amount of energy BTC uses. It has to be solved, or it will be another stick for enemies to hit with.
- Quantum resistance

The need for these improvements and the lack of being capable to do so will end BTC longterm in my opinion.
But the fact that it is absolutely impossible to protect all your circulating supply from being hacked as a blockchain (and that's all existing blockchains at the moment exept for QRL) is cause for a lack of faith in a stable price that's unheard of in crypto. All it takes is an alternative. Like QRL and others to come. People will jump ship in the blink of an eye. I mean, people dump if another country just threatens with regulations that wouldn't even apply to themselves. And another example is Mt.Gox. Hackers had been stealing BTC for years and the price was still growing. I mean the theft started in 2011 and kept going untill it was discovered in 2014. Crypto was growing all those years. But the knowledge it was hacked caused the dump. Not the actual theft. Because people started selling in panic. So the knowledge that a part of the circulating supply isn't safe, is enough. Better be safe than sorry. Most certainly when it comes to money.
So even blockchains like Tezos who found a way to addapt easier have a huge unsolvable problem. Because of the second strength and weakness:
2. Private keys are automaticly generated by the blockchain. And after that:
- Nobody is able to change your private key.
- Nobody can get your private key without you giving it to them.
- Nobody but you can move your funds to a different (quantum secure) private key.
So as explained before, if you desperately NEED a new safer private key for ALL your coins. A blockchain simply can not do that for it's coins. The blockchain can be updated in a blockchain that can supply you safe private keys, but the coins still need to be moved by owners. And as explained in depth, some coins are unaccessible and can't be moved and some won't be moved by their owners. There is no solution here. This is blockchain. Is watertight. So if quantum computers arrive at full strength, and number 1 hasn't killed Bitcoin yet, number 2 will finnish it.

People can't get to accept this. Their believe in blockchain and in the "community" is so strong. "We" will overcome. There is so much money in crypto, "the community" won't let this happen. They feel they are part of something huge and nothing can change that. And the thing is, we are part of something huge. And crypto will adapt. And the community will grow and crypto is unstoppable and will be implemented in a huge amount of applications. But that crypto will be quantum proof. And the rest will be history.
Imagine you have your money in a bank. And they say: "From tomorrow, we will put your money in a different safe. Nobody will be able to steal it. You will still have 100$. We just need your autograph here, and here, thanks, you're set. ... Oh, and there will be some other funds, we're not sure how much, but we can't move that to our new safe. So that will be outside. ... It might likely be stolen somewhere in the future. But YOU will still have your 100$. ... Only it might be worth less. But the number is still 100, so you fine with that right?" No, you won't be fine with that. You would move your funds right away. As much as you love blockchain and the thought of beating the banks, the system, the thuoght of being part of something huge.. You still understand the value of money. Your money. And that will be your motivation, and the motivation of all other investors, your money and to be part of something greater: quantum secure blockchain. It will sink in with everyone sooner or later.. Most people are very protective of the projects they invest in. Naturaly.. Lots of people try to spread FUD. Competitors, but also banks, stock markets, governments, all enemies, all attacking. And people getting defensive. But people will distinguish FUD from real problems sooner or later.
freelotus

Activity: 518

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 12:10:12 PM

The world of crypto currency is far from perfect. Yes, I believe that it will be possible to solve the problem of resistance to attack by a quantum computer, but now another problem becomes urgent. How to create a Blockchain that supports many small transactions with a small commission and fast execution?
Dezeyay

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 09:18:08 PM

Hey Deeponion dude, watch this while you wait for someone to bite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je-4Okke4BE
NutMasterTardd
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 09:50:11 PM

Hey Deeponion dude, watch this while you wait for someone to bite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je-4Okke4BE

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

GEO, RLC & QRL.
IMZ
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 10:13:31 PM

'we now have several cryptos that are arguably 3.0s. QRL is one – quantum-computing resistant.'

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article61064.html  (tee hee, this is me)
WilderX

Activity: 597
Merit: 504

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 04:53:00 PM

Bitcoin stabilizing. Altcoin season starting NOW!  Grin

Huge news coming for QRL stay tuned!

rumpel_tusk

Activity: 171
Merit: 105

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 07:58:46 PM
Last edit: December 25, 2017, 04:07:24 PM by rumpel_tusk

Finally! Some good news may be coming.
Digitalmeme

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 06:43:33 PM

Merry Christmas to all and dev teams.  Guess we are nearing the release of mainnet soon.  I do own sizable QRL tokens in ether wallet.  Now what is exact mechanism of swapping out token for real QRLs?  I know that dev will look at ether address to see who has tokens but how will dev know which QRL wallet address to payout?  Assuming that once main net is launched, everyone will have to download it and sync it.  How will dev know my QRL address is linked to ether token address?  Sorry, am sure this is done million times before, but I always relied on exchanges to do that for me.  Never actually done it myself.  I appreciate your pointers.

Cheers
uncleduckerr

Activity: 202

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 10:19:51 PM

Sweet I have a feeling like I know what it may be but I don't want to jinx it at this point. Fingers crossed it is that thing I am thinking of though, let's go! Tongue

IMZ
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 06:55:53 AM

Merry Christmas to all and dev teams.  Guess we are nearing the release of mainnet soon.  I do own sizable QRL tokens in ether wallet.  Now what is exact mechanism of swapping out token for real QRLs?  I know that dev will look at ether address to see who has tokens but how will dev know which QRL wallet address to payout?  Assuming that once main net is launched, everyone will have to download it and sync it.  How will dev know my QRL address is linked to ether token address?  Sorry, am sure this is done million times before, but I always relied on exchanges to do that for me.  Never actually done it myself.  I appreciate your pointers.

Cheers

Could we stay in touch, Digital? It will also be my first time doing such a 'swap.' My QRLs are in the MEW -- and the more comfortable I feel about what support we'll get, the more QRL I'll be prepared to have in the vaults at that time.
xibeijan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 08:56:48 AM

Where is the airdrop?

Notable projects 2019: Semux, Dero, Wagerr, BEAM
Digitalmeme

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 11:14:24 AM

Merry Christmas to all and dev teams.  Guess we are nearing the release of mainnet soon.  I do own sizable QRL tokens in ether wallet.  Now what is exact mechanism of swapping out token for real QRLs?  I know that dev will look at ether address to see who has tokens but how will dev know which QRL wallet address to payout?  Assuming that once main net is launched, everyone will have to download it and sync it.  How will dev know my QRL address is linked to ether token address?  Sorry, am sure this is done million times before, but I always relied on exchanges to do that for me.  Never actually done it myself.  I appreciate your pointers.

Cheers

Could we stay in touch, Digital? It will also be my first time doing such a 'swap.' My QRLs are in the MEW -- and the more comfortable I feel about what support we'll get, the more QRL I'll be prepared to have in the vaults at that time.

Sure IMZ.  The usual route of Bittrex exchange handling token swap could be problematic with all the account locking and banning new users issues.  But then of course, Bittrex could have solved all the account problem before mainnet launch.  Maybe 3rd party swap site could be used.
EnViRoNmEnT

Activity: 420

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 10:11:50 PM

Isnt there a mainnet launch in the beginning of 2018? Sorry, dont have the time to follow the project / this thread so I am just curious and ask here. Maybe somebody can bring me up to date Smiley

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
IMZ
Legendary

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 07:10:54 AM

Cheers

Sure IMZ.  The usual route of Bittrex exchange handling token swap could be problematic with all the account locking and banning new users issues.  But then of course, Bittrex could have solved all the account problem before mainnet launch.  Maybe 3rd party swap site could be used.

Excellent!

And your points are sound. I follow The Bittrex Thing on behalf of another coin, and it remains the case that the same types of reports are still trickling in.
IMZ
Legendary

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 07:12:24 AM

Isnt there a mainnet launch in the beginning of 2018? Sorry, dont have the time to follow the project / this thread so I am just curious and ask here. Maybe somebody can bring me up to date Smiley

Hey, EnViRoNmEnT! In short: yes.
EnViRoNmEnT

Activity: 420

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 09:47:55 AM

Hey, EnViRoNmEnT! In short: yes.

Okay that is amazing! Thanks for the information Smiley Was just afraid that there will be a new postponement

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
Pages: « 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 »
  Print  

Jump to: