April 28, 2024, 09:58:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 6419 6420 6421 6422 6423 6424 6425 6426 6427 6428 6429 6430 6431 6432 6433 6434 6435 6436 6437 6438 6439 6440 6441 6442 6443 6444 6445 6446 6447 6448 6449 6450 6451 6452 6453 6454 6455 6456 6457 6458 6459 6460 6461 6462 6463 6464 6465 6466 6467 6468 [6469] 6470 6471 6472 6473 6474 6475 6476 6477 6478 6479 6480 6481 6482 6483 6484 6485 6486 6487 6488 6489 6490 6491 6492 6493 6494 6495 6496 6497 6498 6499 6500 6501 6502 6503 6504 6505 6506 6507 6508 6509 6510 6511 6512 6513 6514 6515 6516 6517 6518 6519 ... 33305 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26368812 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 09:50:42 PM

Guess what: most intelligent people understand that government and public services are a good thing, and that taxes are necessary to have them.

Most intelligent people 300 years ago thought people could be owned, leeches were medicine, and that outer space was filled with ether. The logical fallacy you are making is called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

Something which an academic should know. Especially one paid with public money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Chalkbot
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 09:53:10 PM

I agree, it is quite timid.  That was written months ago when I had just learned about bitcoin -- before MtGOX, Neo & Bee, the Chinese market, etc..

Man, I realize that you're an intellectual guy and have made significant accomplishments in other fields, but I sincerely hope that the trust you gained in those arenas hasn't influenced people to assign value to your opinion on bitcoin. There's a high possibility (a certainty, if you wanted to use my opinion) that you are providing them terrible advice. I'll admit that it's generally healthy to approach things like bitcoin with skepticism, and people should be encouraged to do their due diligence on matters like these, but your conclusions go well beyond that.

This article is garbage. Sure you got most of the facts right, but you ignore a large part of the equation. The economy is all relative, and it's never stopped evolving at any point in human history. Bitcoin doesn't need to be without flaws to succeed, and it doesn't need to replace fiat. When comparing apples and oranges, pointing out the inconveniences associated with eating oranges does not justify sticking with apples. What if the apple becomes rotten and filled with worms? I'm guessing you'll happily peel that orange, not caring one bit how many rotten apples you could trade it for.

Bitcoin has flaws. There aren't many people with a deep understanding of the technology that would dispute that. What you're not taking into consideration is the fiat banking system has some monumental flaws that also risk its value going to zero if not addressed in time. The striking difference between the two is that bitcoin can be changed, copied, forked, and have services built on top it to address these things, while the alternative can only adjust the speed at which it approaches collapse. So you're correct that bitcoin, in the current form has near 0 chance of replacing fiat as a result of it's superiority and consumer trust, you're wrong that it needs those things in order to do so.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1745

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 10:00:39 PM

Explanation
ag@th0s

Activity: 202
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 10:07:19 PM

How many years of salary have you taken by force from the public?  [ ... ] If your work is so important, surely you can find some private funding.

There are some professors in our public universities who think that they should be privatized, and then charge fees that only the rich could pay.  But they stand no chance of prevailing, because that would require a change in the Constitution which was written by a popular Assembly, and would have to go through Congress whose members elected by the people would not risk their voters' wrath by doing that.  On the contrary, politicians who improve and expand public education have had a big advantage in elections.

Guess what: most intelligent people understand that government and public services are a good thing, and that taxes are necessary to have them.  Even if each man would rather pay no taxes himslelf, usually he wants other people to pay taxes, votes for candidates who are in favor of taxes in general, and has no sympathy at all for those who try to evade taxes, no matter how technolgically clever are their tricks.  It is the tax evaders, not the government, who are stealing from the (tax-paying) people.

You are a smart guy, maybe it's time you either do something productive in the private sector or at the very least find someone in the private sector that values your work and get them to fund your "scholar" ventures.
Well, I believe that my work as teacher, as bad as it is, is infinitely more productive than running internet gambling sites, writing computer games, and many other "private industry" things. 

And, by the way, I did work in industry too (during my undergrad years, and after my Ph.D.) And industry did fund some of my research.

Oh yeah - Brazilians love there tax regime - it's so efficient!
http://blogs.ft.com/beyond-brics/2014/04/22/study-finds-brazils-state-to-be-tax-guzzling-inefficient/

You cannot stay one day in Brazil without hearing someone complain about high taxes and poor public services. According to this narrative, the prices of everything from cars to beauty products are inflated by opaque taxes even as the nation struggles with sub-standard hospitals, inadequate public transport and other services.

Now a study from a consulting company, Brazilian Institute of Planning and Taxation (IBPT), seems to bear out the common perception about Brazil’s tax burden. It ranked Brazil last in a list of the 30 countries judged by taxation versus quality of services.

Topping the list was the US, Australia and South Korea. Among emerging markets, Slovakia ranked 11th and Uruguay 13th. Surprisingly, even Argentina, with its problems with inflation and chaotic economic policies, ranked higher than Brazil.

The IBPT based its study on figures measuring the tax burden (government revenue relative to gross domestic product) from the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) against the latest findings for the Human Development Index (HDI) of the United Nations Development Programme.

When Brazil returned from dictatorship to democracy in 1986, its tax burden was 22 per cent of GDP. Today this is over 36 per cent. Among its peers in the so-called BRICS group of large emerging nations, Russia’s tax burden is 23 per cent, China 20 per cent, India 13 per cent and South Africa 18 per cent.

Brazilians say they work five months a year to pay their taxes to the government. Now they are beginning to demand a return for their money. Last year, during nation-wide protests in June, citizens demanded “Fifa standard” hospitals, mimicking the international football organisation’s demands that Brazil build state-of-the-art stadiums for this year’s World Cup. But to some extent it is not only the government’s fault that Brazilians pay high taxes.

The problem is cultural. “It’s a problem of the government and the society. There is a mindset here that public resources belong to nobody. Brazilians don’t realize how much tax they actually pay,” says Carlos Melo, a political scientist at Insper.

Last year, the government passed a law forcing companies to spell out for consumers on receipts each tax included in their bill. In a receipt at a gas station at March this year, for example, from R$100 paid for the petrol, R$28.63 was taxes. “The state is too big and very inefficient, it raises a lot and ends up doing little,” says Melo.

The danger for the government will be when more Brazilians wake up to the problem. If the information on the receipts is not enough, the IBPT spells it out even more plainly in another initiative, the “impostômetro” - an electronic display in the centre of São Paulo that shows in real-time the amount of tax collected at any given moment for that year.

If Brazil’s government keeps growing at this rate, one wonders how many more “0″s the impostômetro will have to add to keep pace.

JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 10:56:56 PM

Just like in the US, the opposition party loves to blast the current government for overtaxing and wasting money.  Only to do even worse when they get to power.   

When they were in power, those neocons who set up the "impostômetro" created a huge public debt by borrowing money at 40% interest per year or more.  Even today, 12 years after they lost the national government, more than half of all the tax revenue goes to pay interest on that debt, which only keeps growing.  (THAT is real armed robbery, because if the government tried to reject that debt, even with popular support, it would probably be toppled in short time.)  Still, "taxing Dilma" stands a good chance of winning a second term, with support not only from the lower- and middle-class "parasites" but from business people in general.
dreamspark

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 11:00:21 PM

Anybody knows anxbtc exchange? They seem to have popped from nowhere and are now number 2 for volume.

http://bitcoinity.org/markets/list?currency=ALL&span=24h

Never heard of it but its in Hong Kong and lists in pounds for me, does it detect your local currency ?
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1745

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 11:00:39 PM

Explanation
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 11:00:59 PM

BTW people please don't think he represents academics in general. I'm one and I take great offense.
There is no such thing as an "academic in general".  As you must know, they come in all colors - from unrepentant hippies to crypto-nazis.

manfred
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1001

Energy is Wealth

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 11:09:25 PM

Anybody knows anxbtc exchange? They seem to have popped from nowhere and are now number 2 for volume.

Never heard of it but its in Hong Kong and lists in pounds for me, does it detect your local currency ?
Currently in Barcelona and lists pounds too
Walsoraj

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Ultranode

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 11:10:51 PM

"volume"
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 11:13:14 PM

Guess what: most intelligent people understand that government and public services are a good thing, and that taxes are necessary to have them.
Most intelligent people 300 years ago thought people could be owned, leeches were medicine, and that outer space was filled with ether. The logical fallacy you are making is called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum
I am not advancing that fact that as proof that governments are good. The point is that calling taxation "stealing from the people" is not reasonable, since most people believe (rightly or wrongly) that taxes are necessary and everybody should pay them. 

Of course, many or even most people may think that certain taxes are unjustified or unfair, and that certain government spending is waste.  That does not invalidate the point.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2014, 11:17:36 PM

BTW people please don't think he represents academics in general. I'm one and I take great offense.
There is no such thing as an "academic in general".  As you must know, they come in all colors - from unrepentant hippies to crypto-nazis.

What really bugs me is not that you know nothing of economics, but you and many others don't even think there is anything to know. You don't know classical, Marxist, Keynesian, monetarist or Austrian economics. You're like a woman who criticizes a product of automotive engineering because you don't like the color of the cars or the attitude of the drivers. You are not a worthy opponent. You don't even know what game you are attempting to play. You. don't. get. it.
xyzzy099
Legendary

Activity: 1062
Merit: 1041

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 11:19:26 PM

What really bugs me is not that you know nothing of economics, but you and many others don't even think there is anything to know. You don't know classical, Marxist, Keynesian, monetarist or Austrian economics. You're like a woman who criticizes a product of automotive engineering because you don't like the color of the cars or the attitude of the drivers. You are not a worthy opponent. You don't even know what game you are attempting to play. You. don't. get. it.

+1
QFT
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 11:25:04 PM

It has been around for a while, but used to trade in Hong Kong dollars:
http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/anxhkHKD#rg180zigDailyztgOzm1g10zm2g25zv

That quoted list is quite incomplete, it omits OKCoin (more volume than Huobi) and several other Chinese exchanges, as well as LakeBTC which handles USD and is comparable to Bitstamp.
http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/lakeUSD#rg180zigDailyztgOzm1g10zm2g25zv
nrd525
Legendary

Activity: 1867
Merit: 1023

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 11:26:48 PM

That's condescending as fuck. You're trying to imply that, agreeing with public services and charging taxes to fund them, is a prerequisite for being intelligent. That's absolute and utter bullshit.

Fact Check: see how Libertarian candidates do in US elections.  Most people vote for the Democrats and Republicans - parties that support taxes and public services.

Second fact check: the majority of US professors are liberals.
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2012/10/24/survey-finds-professors-already-liberal-have-moved-further-left#sthash.A8ga6kGk.dpbs
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 11:30:46 PM

Some taxes are inevitable, and I won't complain much.  You have to pay someone to keep away all the other people who would extort you if you didn't.  Fine. Whenever I am tempted to think that life sucks, I just consider the alternatives.  There are even some taxes which are used in a socially positive manner.  Okay, not where I think the effort should be expended perhaps, but at least it's not actively evil.  In my (admittedly limited) experience, the lion's share of taxes are either lost to corruption or applied to categorical manifest evil.

When you allow people to cloak themselves with "legitimacy", the gates of hell open.  Precious few people, and no institutions, in history have had the moral fiber not to be corrupted by the power of the state, to kill or let live, according to a whim, and when you convince them that this is the moral high ground, well... what hope then?  We're watching, in real-time, the ongoing simultaneous breakdown of all of the paradigms of legitimacy with their intrinsic restraints AND the checks and balances which had previously restrained abuse by design.  It has all been sold to the highest bidder, and those bidders are NOT interested in buying your children a bright future.

I can see why someone who matured in a developing nation might consider progress to be the current norm.  We can endure so much if we hope for a better future.  It is not.  The peak daylight of human liberty and dignity is over.  It's time to prepare for the night which follows.  Prepare, and defend, in depth.

The situation would be different perhaps, were it not for the abdication of parenthood to the state creche.  Decades of propaganda leaves young adults unable to think in a way that is grounded in reality.  It typically takes decades of deprogramming before they are competent to manage their own affairs.  By that time, much of their revolutionary capacity is lost.  By middle-age, one tends to play it safe and restrict ones ambitions.  And the elderly (poor majority) do love the social safety net, so they are thoroughly bought, where one exists.

These unfortunate conditions will be temporary, but I suspect that they may endure for at least a decade, probably two.  The ones which are intrinsic to human nature will endure longer still, I hope (but am not certain).

Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 11:36:28 PM

I am not advancing that fact that as proof that governments are good. The point is that calling taxation "stealing from the people" is not reasonable, since most people believe (rightly or wrongly) that taxes are necessary and everybody should pay them. 

Of course, many or even most people may think that certain taxes are unjustified or unfair, and that certain government spending is waste.  That does not invalidate the point.

So much tension, think despite your warnings many are long on Bitcoin.
Taking pride in paying tax is relative to the wealth one think they deserve, and the gratitude one reserves after the fact.

aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 11:37:39 PM

Currently in Barcelona and lists pounds too

They have been around since late 2013.  They have a lot of visibility in Hong Kong.  I have never done business with them, but I would not be averse to it, if I saw an adequate reason.  I would not hold a very large part of my BTC there, unless during the tail end of a total liquidation operation (which probably means "never ever").  

I am guessing: PRC clients are switching to the best Chinese-language off-shore exchange, as on-shore exchanges become less usable, and they find anxbtc.

ag@th0s

Activity: 202
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 11:42:19 PM

Just like in the US, the opposition party loves to blast the current government for overtaxing and wasting money.  Only to do even worse when they get to power.   

When they were in power, those neocons who set up the "impostômetro" created a huge public debt by borrowing money at 40% interest per year or more.  Even today, 12 years after they lost the national government, more than half of all the tax revenue goes to pay interest on that debt, which only keeps growing.  (THAT is real armed robbery, because if the government tried to reject that debt, even with popular support, it would probably be toppled in short time.)  Still, "taxing Dilma" stands a good chance of winning a second term, with support not only from the lower- and middle-class "parasites" but from business people in general.

So the Neocons created the debt 12 years ago <bad?> at exactly the same time you were running around downtown with your scary "nota fiscal" that made everyone shut up shop because they thought you were a tax inspector?  Pardon me if I say I can't work out which side you are on.
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 11:58:10 PM

Yes.  Jorge thinks bitcoin is a dangerous ponzi and makes an argument there by first presenting a stawman argument in the form of an extreme false dichotomy.

Is this news?  He has seemed fairly transparent in his views of bitcoin.

I personally think he is wrong.

But who knows?

Statements like the one quoted below get me everytime. Isn't this statement also true for every central bank fiat currency, IE the USD? The USD is only worth what we believe its worth, in that what we are willing to trade for the $1.

The fact is that bitcoins have no value in themselves : they are only worth what people believe they are worth .

If anyone has better insight as to why or how this statement is true for bitcoin, but not for fiat. Please, please let me know. I'm awaiting enlightenment Smiley

the bank note is a promise

A promise of what though? Only that they would give you a different US dollar for it?
Pages: « 1 ... 6419 6420 6421 6422 6423 6424 6425 6426 6427 6428 6429 6430 6431 6432 6433 6434 6435 6436 6437 6438 6439 6440 6441 6442 6443 6444 6445 6446 6447 6448 6449 6450 6451 6452 6453 6454 6455 6456 6457 6458 6459 6460 6461 6462 6463 6464 6465 6466 6467 6468 [6469] 6470 6471 6472 6473 6474 6475 6476 6477 6478 6479 6480 6481 6482 6483 6484 6485 6486 6487 6488 6489 6490 6491 6492 6493 6494 6495 6496 6497 6498 6499 6500 6501 6502 6503 6504 6505 6506 6507 6508 6509 6510 6511 6512 6513 6514 6515 6516 6517 6518 6519 ... 33305 »
  Print  

Jump to: