April 28, 2024, 12:09:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 22053 22054 22055 22056 22057 22058 22059 22060 22061 22062 22063 22064 22065 22066 22067 22068 22069 22070 22071 22072 22073 22074 22075 22076 22077 22078 22079 22080 22081 22082 22083 22084 22085 22086 22087 22088 22089 22090 22091 22092 22093 22094 22095 22096 22097 22098 22099 22100 22101 22102 [22103] 22104 22105 22106 22107 22108 22109 22110 22111 22112 22113 22114 22115 22116 22117 22118 22119 22120 22121 22122 22123 22124 22125 22126 22127 22128 22129 22130 22131 22132 22133 22134 22135 22136 22137 22138 22139 22140 22141 22142 22143 22144 22145 22146 22147 22148 22149 22150 22151 22152 22153 ... 33305 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26368844 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
BTCMILLIONAIRE

Activity: 1358
Merit: 834

View Profile
December 29, 2018, 09:00:57 PM
Merited by Arriemoller (1)

The problem I see is that scientists who disagree are being pushed out of the debate. Which leads to dogma and very little science.

We had that issue in my country.  Some background checks were done on the scientists that disagreed with the 97%.  It turns out they were funded by an independent policy think tank. Whose largest donor was a large coal company.

Sometimes even scientists are corrupt.  
Show me any significant number of the 97% scientists conducting research into the counter to their own arguments and you'll have true science. If you look for ways to confirm what you believe or suspect you will always find something given enough time. Unless they are actively trying to shit on their own arguments there's no science being conducted. And what I've seen was always the same old same old, namely regurgitating the common consensus. Which is understandable as well, as anything else won't get funded and academia is way more competitive than it should be already.

Do I think that going solar and shit like that is good? Sure, but mostly for the decentralization aspect and the thus introduced autonomy of the individual, as well as the fact that oil etc is finite and too expensive. We've had climate changing for longer than we've existed and anyone who thinks that scientists have figured out even a fraction of climate, despite the fact that they can not even accurately predict the weather, is believing in voodoo and fairies. Climate is far too complex for our laughable tools to grasp right now. Maybe in a few decades or centuries we'll have a chance, but as is I see attempts and a bunch of people profiteering off of them.

I thought that oil, tobacco, drugs and co would be enough to not actually believe anything anyone says these days. You might be inclined in a certain way, but having firm beliefs and fighting over them seems retarded to me. Especially when the most brilliant scientists were literally driven insane (e.g. Cantor who was put into an insane asylum for his discoveries regarding different types of infinity among many others).

Edit: Marked part of your post in bold, as it's precisely the point that I've tried to make here. Small addition, sometimes the majority doesn't even realize that they've become corrupted.
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
December 29, 2018, 09:02:50 PM

We've had this discussion already, haven't we.

::sigh:: Indeed, we have. Yet you continue to re-engage.

L2 solutions are meant to take care of transaction costs, if/when they become unbearable. Which, in a world devoid of mempool spam by Bitmain and their minions, won't happen before massive adoption.

Massive adoption cannot happen -- LN cannot onboard more than the population of one small city per day, due to the anemic BTC block weight. How many millions will it take to reach 'massive adoption'? Multiple thousands.

Several solutions are being developed to batch the opening of multiple channels in one transaction.

Tell me - how do many individuals make their channel openings part of the same tx?

How did bcash plan to solve the problem? With a larger highway? It's a non solution, bloating the blockchain linearly with the number*size (not the monetary amount) of transactions. This would have made it impossible to keep bitcoin alive on user-maintained full nodes.

Bald assertion devoid of supporting evidence.
As to blockchain bloat, not much evidence's needed at all. It's simple arithmetic.

Yet you show none?

As to the impossiblity (or extreme unease) of keeping a full node*, it's just a tad less simple to work out the mass storage and bandwidth required.

Neither Moore's nor Nielsen's so-called 'laws' have yet run their course. Back when the founder acquiesced to a block size cap of 1MB, computing power, storage capacity, and network bandwidth were drastically smaller than today.
jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2018, 09:05:20 PM

L2 solutions are meant to take care of transaction costs, if/when they become unbearable. Which, in a world devoid of mempool spam by Bitmain and their minions, won't happen before massive adoption.

Massive adoption cannot happen -- LN cannot onboard more than the population of one small city per day, due to the anemic BTC block weight. How many millions will it take to reach 'massive adoption'? Multiple thousands.

First of all, ~200K/day is still more than ALL current btc users in just 6mo.

I was responding directly to the 'massive adoption' challenge. Demonstrably, LN is incapable of onboarding 'massive adoption' due to the fact that the hard cap on blocksize is a hard cap on the number of people that can open a channel per unit time.

Second, there are/will be technical solutions as we progress.

We really don't need technical whizbangery when simple block size increase suffices.

I know that i am not going to change your mind about this, but, still...sometimes 'whizbangery' is needed.

We had an explosion of whizbangery a decade ago. We had not come close to riding that to its natural conclusion before wizards that thought they knew better perverted the system.

Oh well, devs gotta dev.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3844

View Profile
December 29, 2018, 09:05:42 PM
Last edit: December 29, 2018, 09:17:07 PM by Biodom

2) species loss ... ok maybe this is an issue, it's subjective and depends on your feelings though. Massive extinction events have happened regularly in the Earth's past from various means. How much species diversity is exactly the right amount? do you feel like playing god to determine that? humans have cultivated huge quantities of biomass in the form of crops, cows, sheep, pigs, chickens, there are probably more animals alive on the planet today than at any time in the past, let's celebrate mammalian abundance husbanded by humans! ... are they just not the "right" animals for your liking? my liking? his liking? should we all be living in teepees and hunting the roaming meager herds of buffalo in competition with wolves and large cats? Who really knows what is the right balance for number of species and quantities of each species that should be alive on earth at any particular time? It's just an excessively complicated question to believe anyone who claims to know the answer, they are just bullshitting you to gain an advantage over you somehow.

Very much the crux of the matter as I see it.  Yes, as I have consistently maintained, my preference for the complex and diverse arrangement of forms out of which human intelligence arose is largely aesthetic.

You have demonstrated yourself not to be willfully ignorant.  You must understand that your preference for a subdued planet brought wholly under the reign of humanity is also aesthetic, a selfish and misguided aesthetic in my view but there it is.

I do not demand that you share my aesthetic values, though I will resist the conversion of wildness to commodity to the end.

We need natural habitats because it is where we, humans, will at some time spend all of our time in the absence of meaningful high intelligence requiring jobs.
With machines already on the verge of doing very complicated tasks much better than us and getting true insight into the nature of things (that they would be probably incapable of conveying back to us-see my other post), we would need nature more than ever.
Just one example: a machine is capable of reading X-rays 150 times faster than radiologist (making 250-300K/year) and giving a better diagnosis.
How you are going to compete with it? You can't, basically, unless you implement some luddite laws, but then you lose productivity.
Agapios

Activity: 135
Merit: 17

View Profile
December 29, 2018, 09:11:11 PM

the engine on water invented long ago, but the fuel companys always destroy such inventions, so as not to lose power https://youtu.be/Jivb7lupDNU

therefore, a million old modems 56 for them is better than one novelty, the future for a gross increase of block size

BULLSHUT
bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
December 29, 2018, 09:15:19 PM

I was responding directly to the 'massive adoption' challenge. Demonstrably, LN is incapable of onboarding 'massive adoption' due to the fact that the hard cap on blocksize is a hard cap on the number of people that can open a channel per unit time.

We really don't need technical whizbangery when simple block size increase suffices.

I know that i am not going to change your mind about this, but, still...sometimes 'whizbangery' is needed.

We had an explosion of whizbangery a decade ago. We had not come close to riding that to its natural conclusion before wizards that thought they knew better perverted the system.

Oh well, devs gotta dev.

I thought you were a dev.
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
December 29, 2018, 09:17:14 PM
Merited by Biodom (1)

I do find it strange that this threads participation and viewership rises considerably when such off topic posts are made however...  I am sure it is just a coincidence.
Screw global warming, let's talk more about the chick with the shovel.
alevlaslo

Activity: 1988
Merit: 593

View Profile
December 29, 2018, 09:20:41 PM

the engine on water invented long ago, but the fuel companys always destroy such inventions, so as not to lose power https://youtu.be/Jivb7lupDNU

therefore, a million old modems 56 for them is better than one novelty, the future for a gross increase of block size

BULLSHUT

what purpose  you have? if the money - it is contributing to a Bitmain clan, and if happiness - it is inaction to auto recount difficulty in the smaller side
BTCMILLIONAIRE

View Profile
December 29, 2018, 09:33:02 PM

3) collapsing fisheries stock ... yep totally agree with you here, it sucks, people are stupid and greedy and the tragedy of the commons will prevail any time you get a shared resource situation like this. I think inevitably aquaculture will alleviate this in the near to not-too-distant future. Fish-farming has come a long way fast since price of wild fish started spiking after stocks collapse, locally I've seen some great ventures in exotic fish species, delicacies that were always thought too hard to be farmed, lobster, abalone, white-bait, scallops, etc. In fact, I suggest invest, aquaculture is going to have a great profitable future and its good for our local habitat (I mean who doesn't love to go fishing for realz?)
I've actually been thinking about how viable a salmon or whatever pond/lake/farm on private property could be. I looked into it but found hardly anything useful beyond a basic confirmation that it's possible. Do you happen to have any idea as to how small scaled fish-farming could be made and how economical/costly it would be or have any reading pointers otherwise? Basically trying to figure out if it's mostly initial fixed costs or if it'll cost a fortune in sustaining. Would love a fucking salmon farm on my property.
bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
December 29, 2018, 09:36:48 PM

^ If you get a proper answer (maybe including a detailed how-to and some additional tips and tricks as a bonus) for THAT question it will be clearly demonstrated that this thread actually delivers.
BTCMILLIONAIRE

View Profile
December 29, 2018, 09:42:10 PM

^ If you get a proper answer (maybe including a detailed how-to and some additional tips and tricks as a bonus) for THAT question it will be clearly demonstrated that this thread actually delivers.

Legendary 110% thread.
Toxic2040
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 4141

View Profile
December 29, 2018, 09:44:11 PM

https://pubs.ext.vt.edu/420/420-897/420-897.html
jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2018, 09:45:51 PM

Oh well, devs gotta dev.

You're right. I were a dev. Another field, however.

I hope I have the wisdom for not poking things that are already perfect for their intended task. If not, then certainly the wisdom to not make gratuitous changes that result in loss of positive attributes.
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4309

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
December 29, 2018, 09:46:34 PM

I've actually been thinking about how viable a salmon or whatever pond/lake/farm on private property could be. I looked into it but found hardly anything useful beyond a basic confirmation that it's possible. Do you happen to have any idea as to how small scaled fish-farming could be made and how economical/costly it would be or have any reading pointers otherwise? Basically trying to figure out if it's mostly initial fixed costs or if it'll cost a fortune in sustaining. Would love a fucking salmon farm on my property.

I'm not sure salmon, being anadromous, can be reared in ponds, perhaps.

The salmon farms around here occupy valuable estuary areas and are severely infested with some sort of aquatic lice which then attack the young wild salmon as they come down to the salt water.

Same as it ever was.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3844

View Profile
December 29, 2018, 09:57:17 PM

Bitcoin babushkas...supplementing pensions with btc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=14&v=vBKwMQ1lkUk

bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
December 29, 2018, 10:00:33 PM

Oh well, devs gotta dev.

You're right. I were a dev. Another field, however.

I hope I have the wisdom for not poking things that are already perfect for their intended task. If not, then certainly the wisdom to not make gratuitous changes that result in loss of positive attributes.

Well, IF Bcash had any possibility of being widely used I would see clear overlapping with your field. Or if they keep bloating the blockchain with test transactions even if no one else is really using it.

Honestly I do agree with the "devs gotta dev" joke.... that's why I am glad they can already go and play in L2 as much as they want and leave the Bitcoin "core" alone.

P.S.: And also glad the malicious guys have decided to go play at a remote field and stop hindering the gameplay at the premier league.
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4309

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
December 29, 2018, 10:06:10 PM

Bitcoin babushkas...supplementing pensions with btc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=14&v=vBKwMQ1lkUk

The lady drying pumpkin seeds on her rigs is just adorable.
dutchlincoln

Activity: 434
Merit: 30

View Profile
December 29, 2018, 10:11:04 PM

omg....

We  need a big pump or dump, this is going nowhere...

Never would have thought that i'd miss the graphs, lines, charts and all other related BS about shitcoins, eth, sv, nakashimotoko, etcetera...

This bs of the last 20 pages hurts my eyes...  Tongue

lets forget the treehugging crap, conspiracy shit, and talk about crypto, okay? Even when its bs about crypto...  Roll Eyes
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
December 29, 2018, 10:21:02 PM

lets forget the treehugging crap, conspiracy shit, and talk about crypto, okay? Even when its bs about crypto...  Roll Eyes

How's the weather?

Today where I was it started off quite grey and misty and then it got more misty but it might have been fog and then it started to rain a bit but then I walking around doing some shopping and I got quite hot so obviously the temperature went up a bit but then I got on a train and it seemed cold again and it was raining on the train window but then I saw a bit of sun but then the sun went away again and I started walking from the station and my pants were sticky because I was still a bit hot but luckily I got cold again and they stopped sticking but then it got misty again and I had to drive down the motorway with all the mist and stuff and I wished there was some wind so it would blow away some of the mist but there wasn't any and it stayed misty and now it's dark and I'm not sure what the weather is doing but I'm guessing it's still misty but I can't be sure because I haven't put my head out of the window butimightlaterdependingonwhetheri'minterestedintheweatherbutatthemomenti'mthinkingaboutomorrowsweatherbecauseihavetogoutagainanditsquitehighupandsoiwont beabletoseeanythingbecauseofthemistsoihopeidontcrash.

Anyway,

Mist.
dutchlincoln

Activity: 434
Merit: 30

View Profile
December 29, 2018, 10:25:06 PM

How's the weather?

Today where I was it started off quite grey and misty and then it got more misty but it might have been fog and then it started to rain a bit but then I walking around doing some shopping and I got quite hot so obviously the temperature went up a bit but then I got on a train and it seemed cold again and it was raining on the train window but then I saw a bit of sun but then the sun went away again and I started walking from the station and my pants were sticky because I was still a bit hot but luckily I got cold again and they stopped sticking but then it got misty again and I had to drive down the motorway with all the mist and stuff and I wished there was some wind so it would blow away some of the mist but there wasn't any and it stayed misty and now it's dark and I'm not sure what the weather is doing but I'm guessing it's still misty but I can't be sure because I haven't put my head out of the window butimightlaterdependingonwhetheri'minterestedintheweatherbutatthemomenti'mthinkingaboutomorrowsweatherbecauseihavetogoutagainanditsquitehighupandsoiwont beabletoseeanythingbecauseofthemistsoihopeidontcrash.

Anyway,

Mist.

Grin Grin

That's better...  Cheesy
Pages: « 1 ... 22053 22054 22055 22056 22057 22058 22059 22060 22061 22062 22063 22064 22065 22066 22067 22068 22069 22070 22071 22072 22073 22074 22075 22076 22077 22078 22079 22080 22081 22082 22083 22084 22085 22086 22087 22088 22089 22090 22091 22092 22093 22094 22095 22096 22097 22098 22099 22100 22101 22102 [22103] 22104 22105 22106 22107 22108 22109 22110 22111 22112 22113 22114 22115 22116 22117 22118 22119 22120 22121 22122 22123 22124 22125 22126 22127 22128 22129 22130 22131 22132 22133 22134 22135 22136 22137 22138 22139 22140 22141 22142 22143 22144 22145 22146 22147 22148 22149 22150 22151 22152 22153 ... 33305 »
  Print  

Jump to: