May 02, 2024, 01:26:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 2409 2410 2411 2412 2413 2414 2415 2416 2417 2418 2419 2420 2421 2422 2423 2424 2425 2426 2427 2428 2429 2430 2431 2432 2433 2434 2435 2436 2437 2438 2439 2440 2441 2442 2443 2444 2445 2446 2447 2448 2449 2450 2451 2452 2453 2454 2455 2456 2457 2458 [2459] 2460 2461 2462 2463 2464 2465 2466 2467 2468 2469 2470 2471 2472 2473 2474 2475 2476 2477 2478 2479 2480 2481 2482 2483 2484 2485 2486 2487 2488 2489 2490 2491 2492 2493 2494 2495 2496 2497 2498 2499 2500 2501 2502 2503 2504 2505 2506 2507 2508 2509 ... 33315 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26370882 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:54:16 PM

That's a strawman, but here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcWkN4ngR2Y

So according to the video:  If we're not running out of resources, why do we need to use them more efficiently?   Roll Eyes  

To deny we are running out of resources, is the true "economic ignorance".  We live in a debt based system that requires infinite growth but our planet and it's resources are certainly finite.  If we had infinite resources, our debt based system could go on forever, but it can't because we don't.  People don't look at what it takes to make that car, that some guy took a loan out on and the bank created money from air to pay for.  This is why our system will eventually collapse because eventually you will run out of the resources required to build the items that people go into debt to buy. Without people taking on more debt, banks can't create more money from thin air and it all comes tumbling down.
ZB is right. It is nice to see someone who understands fundamental economic truths. You can just study BP's Statistical Report if you still think that we are running out of resources. The truth is that known oil reserves are growing faster than oil consumption.

Just because you agree with him, doesn't make him "right".  And your refuting evidence comes from BP?   I'm totally convinced now.  Grin
I don't "agree" with him. I know he is right because I have studied this myself. The R/P ratios (reserves divided by production) rises for many fossile fuels and since the end of the 19th century some people who do not understand economics have been warning about peak oil. Peak oil is a myth but I don't see why we should have a political argument about it.

I agree peak oil is largely overblown since it is essential just decomposed organic matter, but that does not make all resources renewable.  There are still finite limits on many things.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
macsga
Legendary

Activity: 1484

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:54:39 PM

Someone's trying really hard to crash the market but most people don't seem to be ready for that.

The wall dance is entertaining though.
Yeah, enough science. You don't get laid with CO2 (trust me)! Grin
Walsoraj

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Ultranode

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:54:43 PM

Someone's trying really hard to crash the market but most people don't seem to be ready for that.

False. The only manipulation is upwards.

The present situation = pumpers taking a break and natural market forces taking over.
ardana123

Activity: 504

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:56:03 PM

The present situation = pumpers taking a break and natural market forces taking over.

Single digits by Tuesday? I'd dare say so.
macsga
Legendary

Activity: 1484

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:58:26 PM

For mBTCs? Sure thing... Grin
Coinseeker

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 09:01:34 PM

So according to the video:  If we're not running out of resources, why do we need to use them more efficiently?   Roll Eyes  

To deny we are running out of resources, is the true "economic ignorance".  We live in a debt based system that requires infinite growth but our planet and it's resources are certainly finite.  If we had infinite resources, our debt based system could go on forever, but it can't because we don't.  People don't look at what it takes to make that car, that some guy took a loan out on and the bank created money from air to pay for.  This is why our system will eventually collapse because eventually you will run out of the resources required to build the items that people go into debt to buy. Without people taking on more debt, banks can't create more money from thin air and it all comes tumbling down.
ZB is right. It is nice to see someone who understands fundamental economic truths. You can just study BP's Statistical Report if you still think that we are running out of resources. The truth is that known oil reserves are growing faster than oil consumption.

Just because you agree with him, doesn't make him "right".  And your refuting evidence comes from BP?   I'm totally convinced now.  Grin
I don't "agree" with him. I know he is right because I have studied this myself. The R/P ratios (reserves divided by production) rises for many fossile fuels and since the end of the 19th century some people who do not understand economics have been warning about peak oil. Peak oil is a myth but I don't see why we should have a political argument about it.

You have the right to your opinion and that's all it is.  An opinion.  My opinion, is that your opinion is not based in reality.  How can supply be growing faster than consumption when oil is the result of millions of years of decay?   Huh  If the oil reserves of the world were growing, we wouldnt need to figure out how to drill for oil in the arctic, or go through rediculously expensive processes to refine oil sands or invent ways to profitably extract oil from shale.  I mean really?  Are you really buying what OPEC is selling?  Because that's where your information is coming from.  These businesses, like BP don't spend money because they want to, they spend it because they have to.  If their current supplies were unlimited, they could just sit back forever and never explore again, while selling their infinite oil from their current reserves. 
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 09:01:48 PM

It's hard to believe I have something in common with climate science deniers.
I was converted over to Bitcoin and Austrian economic precisely because of my fundamental understand in environmental sustainability.  

Understanding of Environmental Science is the catalyst that accelerates Bitcoin adoption to the masses.  

I love that: "science" "deniers" - that's two appeals to authority in a single term. The climate change crowd is the most environmentally destructive out there. To care about carbon emissions over things that actually matter, like pollution, is anti-environmental alarmism. It's just an excuse for a global tax. I'm glad that whole charade is winding down, after changing its marketing from "global warming" to "climate change" after the earth refused to warm as commanded. It was one of the lamest spectacles I've seen.
I'm appealing to an authority called logic, deductive reasoning and quantitative results. Not individuals or collective irrational opinion.

I agree with your conclusion in so much as It's "used" as an excuse for a global tax. But that don't change the fact that our environment and natural resources are being squandered and destroyed as a result of centralized economic direction.

The solution to curbing environmental degradation is decentralization, "protection of property rights" and free market based economics.  Here I mean redefining the current understanding of those terms and would recommend reading works by Walter Block on Environmentalism.
Voodah

Activity: 266

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 09:02:57 PM

That'd be amusing. All markets would instantly collapse under the sheer burden of buys.

All kidding aside though, the other day I was thinking... the only possible scenario where BTC goes back to single digits is on its way back to 0 if the whole experiment fails.
Sword Smith

Activity: 406
Merit: 286

Neptune, Scalable Privacy

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2013, 09:08:38 PM

You have the right to your opinion and that's all it is.  An opinion.  My opinion, is that your opinion is not based in reality.  How can supply be growing faster than consumption when oil is the result of millions of years of decay?
You have misunderstood the concept of a "reserve". In mining a reserve is defined as something that is discovered and has been proven to be economically viable to extract. Therefore reserves CAN grow even though we are pumping oil out of the ground because new oil reserves are constantly being discovered and we are getting better at extracting the oil from the ground so the already existing reserves in known oil fields are becoming larger. The fact that you do not know this tells me that you have not studied this issue enough to have a qualified opinion:

Mineral reserves are resources known to be economically feasible for extraction. Reserves are either Probable Reserves or Proven Reserves.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_resource_classification

Walsoraj

Ultranode

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 09:11:52 PM

You have the right to your opinion and that's all it is.  An opinion.  My opinion, is that your opinion is not based in reality.

Why do people have the right to an opinion that has no basis in reality?

You dumb shit.
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4004
Merit: 4465

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 09:12:16 PM

For mBTCs? Sure thing... Grin

For satoshis some day?  Cheesy
Coinseeker

Activity: 252

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 09:12:38 PM

You have the right to your opinion and that's all it is.  An opinion.  My opinion, is that your opinion is not based in reality.  How can supply be growing faster than consumption when oil is the result of millions of years of decay?
You have misunderstood the concept of a "reserve". In mining a reserve is defined as something that is discovered and has been proven to be economically viable to extract. The fact that you do not know this tells me that you have not studied this issue enough to have a qualified opinion:

Mineral reserves are resources known to be economically feasible for extraction. Reserves are either Probable Reserves or Proven Reserves.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_resource_classification

Yet, you did not answer the question because you simply can not defend such illogical thinking.  Now you want to dodge with semantics.   Too funny.   Grin
maz

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 09:12:52 PM

I have to keep reminding my self to take your advice with a pinch of salt, but there's been several times you've hit the nail on the head. One in ten's a gem as they say.
alexeft
Legendary

Activity: 854

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 09:15:02 PM

You have the right to your opinion and that's all it is.  An opinion.  My opinion, is that your opinion is not based in reality.

You dumb shit.

Simply because nobody can claim to know and/or understand all of reality.
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4004
Merit: 4465

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 09:15:44 PM

You dumb shit.

Quit talking to yourself.
Walsoraj

Ultranode

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 09:16:38 PM

You dumb shit.

Basis does not equal ALL OF REALITY. A basis is a foundation from which you reach conclusions.
Voodah

Activity: 266

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 09:17:08 PM

You have the right to your opinion and that's all it is.  An opinion.  My opinion, is that your opinion is not based in reality.  How can supply be growing faster than consumption when oil is the result of millions of years of decay?   Huh  If the oil reserves of the world were growing, we wouldnt need to figure out how to drill for oil in the arctic, or go through rediculously expensive processes to refine oil sands or invent ways to profitably extract oil from shale.  I mean really?  Are you really buying what OPEC is selling?  Because that's where your information is coming from.

You're not getting it.

Supply growing faster than demands does not mean more oil is being produced by decay. It just means that with new tech we're finding more of it now, and it is not so scarce as we once thought. The two latest big deposits found (Brazil and Australia, not Middle east !) are amongst the biggest ever found.

And as you say, we don't "need" to figure out artic drilling. It is done because it is profitable. You don't "need" to keep mining BTC, right?

The more ridiculously expensive the process is, the more profits to be made.

All this said, this whole scheme needs to die. The people behind these companies are the same people who control governments, law, energy, food industries, metal industries and the banking system. It's a closed circuit.

Hopefully BTC or its future follower is the path to disruption but.......  I feel these same hands are already tightening their grip here as well...
BTCSTOCKS

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 09:17:47 PM

nice, now what?: the insiders hired some environmeddler PR firm to try and save the world from bitcoin? LOL!! Come on whoop whoop >> Let's save the whales you guys!! *come on weeee can do it!  Grin  bwaaahahahaaa
alexeft
Legendary

Activity: 854

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 09:18:15 PM

You dumb shit.

Basis does not equal ALL OF REALITY. A basis is a foundation from which you reach conclusions.

Ok, I didn't read your whole argument but a basis is only A basis anyway. One of many that exist
for any particular topic in discussion.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 09:18:49 PM

I don't think $800 is cheap.
Pages: « 1 ... 2409 2410 2411 2412 2413 2414 2415 2416 2417 2418 2419 2420 2421 2422 2423 2424 2425 2426 2427 2428 2429 2430 2431 2432 2433 2434 2435 2436 2437 2438 2439 2440 2441 2442 2443 2444 2445 2446 2447 2448 2449 2450 2451 2452 2453 2454 2455 2456 2457 2458 [2459] 2460 2461 2462 2463 2464 2465 2466 2467 2468 2469 2470 2471 2472 2473 2474 2475 2476 2477 2478 2479 2480 2481 2482 2483 2484 2485 2486 2487 2488 2489 2490 2491 2492 2493 2494 2495 2496 2497 2498 2499 2500 2501 2502 2503 2504 2505 2506 2507 2508 2509 ... 33315 »
  Print  

Jump to: