April 19, 2024, 12:31:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 2408 2409 2410 2411 2412 2413 2414 2415 2416 2417 2418 2419 2420 2421 2422 2423 2424 2425 2426 2427 2428 2429 2430 2431 2432 2433 2434 2435 2436 2437 2438 2439 2440 2441 2442 2443 2444 2445 2446 2447 2448 2449 2450 2451 2452 2453 2454 2455 2456 2457 [2458] 2459 2460 2461 2462 2463 2464 2465 2466 2467 2468 2469 2470 2471 2472 2473 2474 2475 2476 2477 2478 2479 2480 2481 2482 2483 2484 2485 2486 2487 2488 2489 2490 2491 2492 2493 2494 2495 2496 2497 2498 2499 2500 2501 2502 2503 2504 2505 2506 2507 2508 ... 33276 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26363845 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Shak

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:26:44 PM

adressing the climate stuff:
as a scientist who has read the papers: there is an unusual fast change in temperature, co2 concentrations and ocean pH value. since the number of volcanic eruptions didn't spike and the sun is quite silent, no natural source of those changes were found. thus there is a possibility of an imbalance induced by mankind.
although many studies are carried out, no natural origin of those changes has been proven so far.

changes in all those values above wouldn't be critical at all, life is quite adaptive. it changes a few million species and continues on. our influence towards that is neglectible. there is just a chance that these changes may have negative influence on our lifestyle and wealth - thats why it became spreaded by mass-media and politics... usually we don't get this kind of attention while the work is still in progress Wink

adressing the bitcoin stuff:

lets hope the asian maniacs crash the market down to 500, i want to buy some more bitcoins. but i would rather bet on a consolidation, followed by a massive rise by the end of the week. new money is incoming, fueling a new bubble?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mirsad

Activity: 140

Bitcoin - love & hate

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:26:56 PM

Zang (and others), what links would you suggest:
how to explain Bitcoin to treasurers of a trust which has just received a hefty donation in bitcoins, with a stipulation that they cannot be sold at will, rather according to The Plan  Wink

Tell them it's a very elaborate pyramide scheme, but they have to cash out in trunks, otherwise there will be a flashcrash.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:27:26 PM

some might interpret that you're implying that climate change isn't real btw . . . .

The climate is changing, yes, as it always does. The idea that there is some serious crisis going on with man-made climate change is a total sham, however.

Regardless of climate, ocean acidification via CO2 absorption is a serious threat to many marine species... especially tasty ones.

Perhaps, and I haven't looked into that specifically but I wouldn't be surprised if that was a made-up thing as well. pH regulation should be among the easiest things for nature to handle. Much more difficult is pollutants and overfishing (that is one resource we can run out of, unlike oil). Leave that to Bitcoin. Property rights defined over oceans would end overfishing immediately.

Please do some research, here is a good overview to get you started:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_acidification

Nature does have good pH buffers, but in addition to the direct acidification via carbon,
CO2 (aq) + H2O <-> H2CO3 <-> HCO3(−) + H(+) <-> CO3(2−) + 2 H(+)
we are also dumping massive amounts of fertilizers and organic waste into our oceans.  This encourages algae blooms that  absorb dissolved oxygen and create more CO2.
macsga
Legendary

Activity: 1484

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:27:49 PM

some might interpret that you're implying that climate change isn't real btw . . . .

The climate is changing, yes, as it always does. The idea that there is some serious crisis going on with man-made climate change is a total sham, however.

Regardless of climate, ocean acidification via CO2 absorption is a serious threat to many marine species... especially tasty ones.

Perhaps, and I haven't looked into that specifically but I wouldn't be surprised if that was a made-up thing as well. pH regulation should be among the easiest things for nature to handle. Much more difficult is pollutants and overfishing (that is one resource we can run out of, unlike oil). Leave that to Bitcoin. Property rights defined over oceans would end overfishing immediately.
IT IS made up. There's a lot more CO2 produced naturally than artificially. This is a very nice way to get your tax money for their pockets. You can find out more here (and verify with your scientific sources).

http://www.skepticalscience.com/human-co2-smaller-than-natural-emissions.htm

That's why I hope Bitcoin prevails. I hate those guys.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:31:25 PM

Sold at 820$ on stamp. Had a good feeling about that. Lets see what happens ^^

Well with a half a percent in commission for tradeing, it means if you sold just one bitcoin, you need the price to drop at least $8.2 to be able to buy in and break even. That's 1% of a bitcoin. Is it really worth the risk/effort?

Yeah the fees are ruining it but I still have 50% of the coins.

Sold at 820$ on stamp. Had a good feeling about that. Lets see what happens ^^

Bulls dont care about feelings  Wink
05:19 am in Tokyo. Monday wakes up in Asia...Wink

So, what you mean? good or bad what I did?

Probably bad, to be honest. Mondays are generally one of the busiest trading days as money starts arriving on peoples accounts and price can rise. But it's your money, so, you know. you decide whats best. 
emanymton

Activity: 219
Merit: 106

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:32:48 PM

It's hard to believe I have something in common with climate science deniers.
I was converted over to Bitcoin and Austrian economic precisely because of my fundamental understand in environmental sustainability.  

Understanding of Environmental Science is the catalyst that accelerates Bitcoin adoption to the masses.  

I love that: "science" "deniers" - that's two appeals to authority in a single term. The climate change crowd is the most environmentally destructive out there. To care about carbon emissions over things that actually matter, like pollution, is anti-environmental alarmism. It's just an excuse for a global tax. I'm glad that whole charade is winding down, after changing its marketing from "global warming" to "climate change" after the earth refused to warm as commanded. It was one of the lamest spectacles I've seen.
+1 The greenhouse gas that has the most effect on temperature is water vapour. True story.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:33:31 PM

IT IS made up. There's a lot more CO2 produced naturally than artificially. This is a very nice way to get your tax money for their pockets. You can find out more here (and verify with your scientific sources).

In the link you provided, the position you are taking is listed as a "climate myth".  The response concludes with
The level of atmospheric CO2 is building up, the additional CO2 is being produced by burning fossil fuels, and that build up is accelerating.
Sword Smith

Activity: 406
Merit: 286

Neptune, Scalable Privacy

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2013, 08:33:35 PM

That's a strawman, but here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcWkN4ngR2Y

So according to the video:  If we're not running out of resources, why do we need to use them more efficiently?   Roll Eyes  

To deny we are running out of resources, is the true "economic ignorance".  We live in a debt based system that requires infinite growth but our planet and it's resources are certainly finite.  If we had infinite resources, our debt based system could go on forever, but it can't because we don't.  People don't look at what it takes to make that car, that some guy took a loan out on and the bank created money from air to pay for.  This is why our system will eventually collapse because eventually you will run out of the resources required to build the items that people go into debt to buy. Without people taking on more debt, banks can't create more money from thin air and it all comes tumbling down.
ZB is right. It is nice to see someone who understands fundamental economic truths. You can just study BP's Statistical Report if you still think that we are running out of resources. The truth is that known oil reserves are growing faster than oil consumption.
ablewasiereisawelba

Activity: 133

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:33:42 PM

Posts like this make me afraid to buy bitcoin.
Pruden

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

Spanish Bitcoin trader

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:35:36 PM

Interesting, mind linking some sources, books or otherwise of achieving a higher understanding of relevant environmental sustainability science please.  Thanks.
Not sure if serious, but "Collapse" by Jared Diamond is quite an insight into the relationships between several societies along history and their environments, the challenges they faced and how they reacted to them, which influenced their sustainability (it's not all about collapses, there are whole chapters about more successful civilizations, like Japan or Papua).

The worst part is how many people could see problems coming but failed to react because of tradition, selfishness, etc.
macsga
Legendary

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:37:18 PM

It's true I've picked up only the picture from there (didn't read the whole thing). The idea is this though. A very small amount of CO2 is produced artificially.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:37:27 PM

we are also dumping massive amounts of fertilizers and organic waste into our oceans.  This encourages algae blooms that  absorb dissolved oxygen and create more CO2.
And a not-insignificant fraction of that comes from overproduction of corn caused by ethanol subsidies.

Subsidies that were sold to the public under the guise of helping to solve the very problems which they cause.

Neat trick - convince the public that you need more money in order to solve a problem that's caused them giving you money and you can be set for life.
Coinseeker

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:39:43 PM

So according to the video:  If we're not running out of resources, why do we need to use them more efficiently?   Roll Eyes  

To deny we are running out of resources, is the true "economic ignorance".  We live in a debt based system that requires infinite growth but our planet and it's resources are certainly finite.  If we had infinite resources, our debt based system could go on forever, but it can't because we don't.  People don't look at what it takes to make that car, that some guy took a loan out on and the bank created money from air to pay for.  This is why our system will eventually collapse because eventually you will run out of the resources required to build the items that people go into debt to buy. Without people taking on more debt, banks can't create more money from thin air and it all comes tumbling down.
ZB is right. It is nice to see someone who understands fundamental economic truths. You can just study BP's Statistical Report if you still think that we are running out of resources. The truth is that known oil reserves are growing faster than oil consumption.

Just because you agree with him, doesn't make him "right".  And your refuting evidence comes from BP?   I'm totally convinced now.  Grin
I_bitcoin

Activity: 168

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:42:13 PM

I had no idea climate scientists were so interested in Bitcoin.  This is great news for adoption.   Next we are going to see hair dressers and telephone sanitizers!
keewee
Legendary

Activity: 1025
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:43:38 PM

Some pressure on the sell side...

Edit: and it's gone

jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4303

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:45:00 PM

An increasingly globalised humanity is faced with climate change,
dwindling resources, overpopulation and technological upheaval.

Not a promising start: climate change BS, "running out of resources" fallacy (economic ignorance), overpopulation OK maybe, technological "upheaval" (is this supposed to be bad!?).

Desperate attempts are made to stabilise Earth's climate, as a
post-capitalist world begins to emerge.

More climate change BS, "post-capitalist"...stopped reading there.

Maybe I was too judgmental, but I can't imagine that someone so ignorant about the basics of how the world works (I think my high school teachers said the exact same thing as this) would have any reliable insight on the future.

yeah, the natural world is like a bottomless checkbook

we can just take take take forever and nothing bad happens

That's a strawman,

No

but perhaps I should elaborate.  For me this debate is large aesthetic.  I like forests better than strip malls, Fresh, non toxic, seafood better than processed soy, clean air better than the stench of sewage and unleaded exhaust, knowing there are elephants and polar bears in the world instead of trying to cram every last possible homo sapiens in.  Call me crazy.
macsga
Legendary

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:45:17 PM

I had no idea climate scientists were so interested in Bitcoin.  This is great news for adoption.   Next we are going to see hair dressers and telephone sanitizers!

Let's hope it comes fast. I'm in need of a (bitcoin) hair dresser Wink
Sword Smith

Activity: 406
Merit: 286

Neptune, Scalable Privacy

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2013, 08:45:49 PM

Just because you agree with him, doesn't make him "right".  And your refuting evidence comes from BP?   I'm totally convinced now.  Grin
I don't "agree" with him. I know he is right because I have studied this myself. The R/P ratios (reserves divided by production) rises for many fossile fuels and since the end of the 19th century some people who do not understand economics have been warning about peak oil. Peak oil is a myth but I don't see why we should have a political argument about it.
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 4421

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:51:01 PM

Someone's trying really hard to crash the market but most people don't seem to be ready for that.

The wall dance is entertaining though.
Walsoraj

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Ultranode

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:53:44 PM

party time  Cool Cool Cool
Pages: « 1 ... 2408 2409 2410 2411 2412 2413 2414 2415 2416 2417 2418 2419 2420 2421 2422 2423 2424 2425 2426 2427 2428 2429 2430 2431 2432 2433 2434 2435 2436 2437 2438 2439 2440 2441 2442 2443 2444 2445 2446 2447 2448 2449 2450 2451 2452 2453 2454 2455 2456 2457 [2458] 2459 2460 2461 2462 2463 2464 2465 2466 2467 2468 2469 2470 2471 2472 2473 2474 2475 2476 2477 2478 2479 2480 2481 2482 2483 2484 2485 2486 2487 2488 2489 2490 2491 2492 2493 2494 2495 2496 2497 2498 2499 2500 2501 2502 2503 2504 2505 2506 2507 2508 ... 33276 »
  Print  

Jump to: